• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 02:14 PM

I will be writing an Imoen friendship track- not quite on the scale that Quitch is/was going to do with the Imoen Relationship, but something similar. Now; even if all the other tracks are linear, would you guys like the opportunity to crush Imoen, help her, or make her into a vengeful, humorous bitch?

Imoen is quite a moldable character after her experiences - while she is very internally strong, the PC has an almost surprising amount of influence over her. One word from the PC can send Imoen into depression, or make her bouncy and happy. All siblings do it - especially close ones. If the PC is canny about it, and has the right intelligence, charisma and so forth, they could slowly break her. Or help her psychological healing.

Just one thing: I will not be making a romance available in this. I'm thinking you'll be able to flirt with her, but she'll either think you're playing around, or if it is a serious flirt, she'll be a little bit freaked out. I'll leave the romance to the Imoen Romance and Imoen Relationship - it just isn't in the scope of this mod, for the moment.

Now. Would people like a path version of this, instead of a more linear track? I think Imoen is the one character who would benefit the most fromt his.

Also - what would you like to see in such a relationship with your sister? The ability to comfort her, hug her? Platatonic 'flirts'? Pranks you can play on other characters to distract her?

#2 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 02:18 PM

Pranks :devil:

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#3 Raven_Song

Raven_Song
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 02:24 PM

Can I put a vote in for the "crushing" and "slowly breaking"
Minsc: Flowers are beautiful, aren't they, Boo? I wish there were more to see.

Cernd: I see you have an appreciation for the small things, Minsc. You see the power in their simple nature.

Minsc: I don't understand much that is complicated, but the trees and the flowers are music to my eyes. Boo prefers the calm of the forest, though he suffers my company.

Cernd: Ah, you are his tree amidst the cities and people, and despite your bending and bowing in the wind, you are his stability, as I suspect he is yours.

Minsc: No, he is my hamster. You talk in circles, Cernd, but that's okay. Boo runs in them.

#4 -A. Nonymous-

-A. Nonymous-

Posted 29 December 2006 - 07:51 AM

I would be very careful with personality-altering paths, especially for a character with such high intelligence and strong personality. 17 INT and 16 CHA is quite exceptional (...even if she'll probably be outgunned in that aspect since the PC is likely to have at least 18 in anything he considers an important stat). And we should not forget that it's assumed that Imoen knows the PC very well and that they had a good or at least functioning relationship before. The game simply doesn't allow room for the player to say that his chaotic evil berserker used to smack her about all the time when they were kids.

That doesn't mean it shouldn't be possible (and having the opportunity to at least try, as with any option that offers roleplaying value, would be teh w00+), but certainly difficult and if handled wrong it may easily feel like it breaks continuity.

(I suppose the fact that BG2 constantly feels like it expects the protagonist to be a CG male human fighter with about 10 INT and WIS is a matter for another mod...)

Anyway. To answer your question, I am very much of the opinion that Imoen needs a hug and would certainly like to have the option of giving her one. <_<

I'd also like to see the whole soul-sucking deal expanded on. (If it happened to me and I had the opportunity to discuss matters with someone who went through the same thing, I certainly would.) Other than the PC's transformation, the game really doesn't say much about it. Depending on how one interprets the effects, more up-beat things like pranks and flirting might be better off put on hold until you both have your souls back.

#5 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 05:39 AM

Imoen isn't a pushover - don't worry, I'm not going to make her into one! What I'm going to be doing is letting the player subtly influence her in her more vulnerable moments... you've all had them, when a comment can change everything. But Imoen isn't easy to change... even if you manage to influence her, what makes you think she won't resent you for it? Familiarity breeds contempt, as all men know.

Imoen, as Quitch has said - has a mind of her own. She ain't stupid, nor is she going to let someone destroy her while she stands and watches.

What I think I'll be doing, is 5 dialogues which determine the path you'll be going on, and then it will split into 3 dialogue paths, which each have 8-12 dialogues... or so:

1: Caring, brother/sister path - help her heal
2: Contemplative path- what does it mean to have a soul; the implications of being a Bhaalspawn etc.
3: Dark path - try to surreptiously corrupt Immy. Very hard to get, and *very* hard to complete.

The problem with a dark, corrupted Immy is that her NPC dialogue/banter will be incongruous. Not sure what to do there... suggestions?

Edited to add the other half of one of the sentences - silly me! Coincidentally, this is my 1111th post... *grins* - Kae

#6 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 05:56 AM

Inner conflict to the rescue! The stress of your conversion attempts have caused her to act erratically and have incredible mood swings. Sometimes, she's going along the path you set her on, sometims her old personality resurfacees.

You could add trans actions to mark when she does say really chipper things and then give her something dark and conflicted to say afterwards "Did I just say that? What was I thinking?"

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods

#7 Ace

Ace
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 01:09 PM

I'm wanting more of a brother/sister or sister/sister relationship with Imoen. Someone who will always be there for you, but if you tick them off they won't hesitate to remind you of something stupid you once did such as the time she caught you (and one of her dolls perhaps) naked in a tub full of tomatoes. And if she is really ticked she'll let others in the group know of this too and they can chime in as well. Even weeks later something like this could happen:

Branwen looks at you and shakes her head with a wry grin, "Tomatoes?"

or

Minsc wrinkles his brow and asks, "Charname, why did you bathe in tomatoes?" "Did you think they were soap?"

Causing you further embarrassment.

I just think that Imoen's dialogue should be like that of a real family member, like a little sister or cousin that was very friendly but also teased when the mood struck her.

Just my 2 cents for now.

#8 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 01:59 PM

That is really too funny. I love that. And siblings *do* that, all the time.

berelinde's mods

#9 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 02 January 2007 - 02:20 PM

I'd like to see Imoen die if you don't make a short trip to Bodhi's layer after Bodhi is dead with Imoen in tow. Preferably with some cool dialogue. Or maybe she can die in the Pocket Plane in ToB if you didn't restore her soul.

Also, I'd like her to remain insane if you didn't come to Spellhold quickly enough, and as such not joinable to the party (that solves that moral blackmail argument). You just save her and ship her back to Candlekeep. :cheers:

#10 -A. Nonymous-

-A. Nonymous-

Posted 02 January 2007 - 09:18 PM

Imoen isn't a pushover - don't worry, I'm not going to make her into one!

Oh, I'm not worried, I just get these strange stabby urges when people start talking about changing NPCs' outlooks. I think I managed to overdose on "I WANTS TO CORRUPT KELDORN CUZ IM EVUL LOLZ" comments in the past. Can't help it, sorry. <_<

The problem with a dark, corrupted Immy is that her NPC dialogue/banter will be incongruous. Not sure what to do there... suggestions?

I can't really see any way around it - you'd pretty much have to write a whole new path for every exchange where Imoen would have a line. Just tacking on something "dark" when she says something nice would feel, well, tacked on. ("I'm Nice and Good and Pleasant! ...no wait, I forgot I'm supposed to be evil now, never mind.")

If there were a way to obtain new voice clips, I'd recommend a new sound set as well...

I do like the idea of Imoen dying if you don't bring her to Bodhi's lair. But, perhaps if you leave her out of the party when you go there, she could try to find and kill Bodhi on her own. The party could stumble over the results - whatever they may be - when they arrive at the tomb.

I'll also second Ace's post. :D I'd try to stay away from assumptions about the PC's past, though (even amusing ones), since it can easily lead to "What? My character wouldn't do that!" reactions (I can certainly see the wacky CG fighter-thief taking a tomato bath; the grumpy TN necromancer, not so much). And we get enough of those from the unmodded game, starting with the assumption that you beat BG1 with Minsc and Jaheira in the party.

#11 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 03:47 AM

I can't really see any way around it - you'd pretty much have to write a whole new path for every exchange where Imoen would have a line. Just tacking on something "dark" when she says something nice would feel, well, tacked on. ("I'm Nice and Good and Pleasant! ...no wait, I forgot I'm supposed to be evil now, never mind.")

If there were a way to obtain new voice clips, I'd recommend a new sound set as well...

Acutally, BG1 has some failry dark ones.

I'm not sure you understood what I was suggesting. I'm not saying that Imoen should counter everything sheerful she says with something dark as if it were an interjection. I'm saying that she could make an observation that she feels conflicted, and wonders about her own unpredictable behavior.

When people are conflicted they *can* behave erratically. Stress doesn't "cause" mental illness. If you're ill, you're ill, and treatment is often necessary in order to recover. Stress can make underlying conditions more obvious. Is Imoen really mentally ill, or just... bouncy? Don't know, really. Her personality was never developed well enough to rule it out.

In the NPC mod I'm working on, if you're in an active romance, he does go through a short turbulent period, until he gets his feelings sorted out, but it's low-key, and I suspect many will miss it completely. Not saying it should be handled the same way. After all, Gavin is only trying to make up his mind about his feelings, not his alignment! (Then again, off on a tangent, somebody did have the idea that it would be fun for a sufficiently charismatic woman of evil alignment to be able to corrupt him, which would really be fun... maybe for a relationship that starts in SoA... wouldn't end well, tho. And I've pulled the plug on that idea, because it's not a good one.) Anyway, back to IEP:

Ultimately, if you were going to make Imoen corruptible, you'd have to replace states toward the later end of the game. Kelsey manages it with Anomen's dialog, so it must be possible.

If it were up to me, I wouldn't go there with Imoen. She stays because she's your friend. If you're evil, she isn't happy about it, but she's still your friend.

Edited by BGhead, 03 January 2007 - 07:48 AM.

berelinde's mods

#12 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 03 January 2007 - 08:52 AM

I also believe that Imoen's corruption should net you a pay-back. For example in Midnight Visitor, Imoen's corruption resulted in Imoen losing a few points in intelligence and became a single-class thief-Assassin when you found her back in Spellhold. Andrew and I also written a number of banters for this corrupted Imoen. I am not sure Andrew is still around, but I have no problem with you using them :)

CHAIN IF ~ Global (P#IMED_MV1?,?LOCALS?,0)~ BP#IMO P#IMED_MV1
~Edwin! Edwin!~
= ~Oh? Is that you?!~
DO ~SetGlobal (P#IMED_MV1?,?LOCALS?,1)~
== BEDWIN ~Yes (even the simplest forms of intelligence have no trouble recognizing my greatness in the disguise of this inferior if shapely form.)~
== BP#IMO ~Weren?t you just the slightest bit more?masculine last year?~
== BEDWIN ~ I will have you know, girl, that this temporary condition is a result of my unparalleled boldness of character and brilliance. I have successfully performed an incantation that was lost for centuries. What is the mere inconvenience of having to bend to see your own toes compared to such an outstanding achievement? (As if this chambermaid could possibly comprehend the intricate complexities of my situation)
== BP#IMO IF ~InParty(?Minsc?)~ THEN ~Never mind?I was thinking of Minsc. You? I dunno. I can barely see the affects of whatever spell you?re talking about.~
== BP#IMO IF ~!InParty(?Minsc?)~ THEN ~Never mind?I was thinking of? someone else. You? I dunno. I can barely see the affects of whatever spell you?re talking about.~
== BEDWIN ~It must be very convenient for you to blame your uttermost stupidity on Irenicus? experiments. (How could one fail to have the epitome of masculinity and power burned into their memory forever?)~
== BP#IMO ~Whatever you say?Edwin-a-a-a?~
Exit

CHAIN IF ~ Global (P#IMED_MV2?,?LOCALS?,0)~ BP#IMO P#IMED_MV2
~(My blade has sliced through your skin, and my poison is already in your bloodstream.)~
DO ~SetGlobal (P#IMED_MV2?,?LOCALS?,1)~
== BP#IMO ~(You try to escape, but you are already dieing. You took something from me, and now you will pay for it. There is no escape, Irenic?)~
== BEDWIN ~Would you stop that infernal mumbling? I can barely hear my own thoughts.~
== BP#IMO ~Are ya sure they are worth hearing?~
== BEDWIN ~Unlike some, I share but the devastating and awe-inspiring effects of my thinking with the whole wide world. ~
== BP#IMO ~Uh-huh.~
== BEDWIN ~How inferrior do you have to be, to fail to realize that you are relaying your innermost hopes out loud? (I shudder to think that I could ever be reduced to doing something so fundamentally insane.)~
== BP#IMO ~Dontcha worry, Edwin, a persona of your prominence would never do somethin? so... fundamentally insane?~
== BEDWIN ~What?!~
== BP#IMO ~Can you keep a secret Eddy? (drammatically) I think that Irenicus had turned me into a psion!~
== BEDWIN ~Leave me alone, you stupid wench. (That's explains it...)
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~Global(P#IMKO_MV1?,?LOCALS?,0)~ BKORGAN P#IMKO_MV1
~Hmph. Imoen, yer an o'er-lame excuse fer a member o' this party and I be tired of exertin' meself to protect ye! Next time I let ye perish, screaming like a ninny as ye does!~ [SOUND KORG2505]
DO ~SetGlobal(P#IMKO_MV1?,?LOCALS?,1)~
== BP#IMO ~You?re a very lucky? nay very *living* dwarf, Korgan, for two reasons.~
== BKORGAN ~What ye babbling about, harlot?
== BP#IMO ~One, you stink so bad that our enemies will try anything to stop it. The amount of time it takes them to hack through that mass of fat that you dwarves call a body -~
== BKORGAN ~Fat?! What yer takin? me fer? A bearded gnome?! That be rock-hard muscle ye stupid wench!~
== BP#IMO ~ (Waves her hand dismissively) ? hack through whatever it is that a dwarven body is made of, usually is long enough for my poisons to bring them down.~
= ~This quality keepin? you alive ? but just barely.~
== BKORGAN ~Me be wishing I could find any use fer you. Ah! Axe-polish.~
== BKORGAN ~(Korgan takes out his axe and swings it in Imoen's direction)~
== BP#IMO ~(Narrowly avoids the blow) Ya pushing it, Korgan. ~
= ~I said it was *just barely*?.~
== BKORGAN ~Ye best be watching who ye threaten?Next time I won?t miss ya..~
== BP#IMO ~I would warn you to sleep with one eye open, but you wouldn?t see me comin? anyway.~
== BKORGAN ~Bah, big mouth.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~ Global (P#IMKO_MV2?,?LOCALS?,0)~ BP#IMO P#IMKO_MV2
~How do ya enjoy being among the living, Korgan?~
DO ~SetGlobal (P#IMKO_MV2?,?LOCALS?,1)~
== BKORGAN ~Ye be best to go back to the shadows, girlie, lest ye get in the way of me axe!~
== BP#IMO ~Ha! Proves my point exactly. You see, the second reason you draw breath is that, although you enjoy insulting people, you lack any skill. Ya never hurt anyone. Though it?s me that ya should worry about the most.~
== BKORGAN ~Why ye skinny -~
== BP#IMO ~While some take longer than the others?no one who hurts me lives.~
== BKORGAN ~Have ye even ever killed someone <CHARNAME> hasn?t pointed you to at first?~
== BP#IMO ~Only one way for you to find out!~
~But try somethin? better than callin? me a pansy who can?t do a shit in the fight, cause I?m no dwarf. Maybe it worked to intimidate whoever <CHARNAME> hooked up with while I was in the madhouse, but the weak have been weeded out by now.~
== BKORGAN ~Pansy arse! What do?ya know of insults? Yers don?t hit with half the strength of this dwarf?s.~
== BP#IMO ~Maybe not, but?it?s like (Imoen pulls out a dagger)~
== BP#IMO ~Your insults are that axe you?re holding, and mine are this dagger.~
~The axe may be a lot heavier, but while you swing they lift their shield up and ya strike against it. I?m getting people to trust me? and I stab them in their unprotected backs later.~
~It may take longer, but they would suffer more, making the waiting worthwhile.~
== BKORGAN ~Me be willing to wager ye couldn?t make ?em others suffer nearly as much as I could.~
== BP#IMO ~Your suggesting a bet on who can insult the rest of these sorry excuses for adventurers the most?~
== BKORGAN ~Aye, but more than that... I?d bet on who can be the most vile, irredeemable affront to morality, making every day a livin? hell for this sorry band. Ye don't be standing a chance.~
== BP#IMO ~That?s only if we count your stench! ?Cause if not for that, you don?t have the brains to really find weakness.~
~You don?t have the charisma to make them care what ya think.~
~You don?t have any idea what you?re in for!~
== BKORGAN ~Save it for the others, ninny. If that?s the best ye got than this dwarf has nothing to be worryin? about.~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~ Global (P#IMKO_MV3?,?LOCALS?,0)~ BP#IMO P#IMKO_MV3
~(Imoen slams and empty mug onto the table and lets out a loud belch)~
DO ~SetGlobal (P#IMKO_MV3?,?LOCALS?,1)~
== BKORGAN ~'Twas pathetic. Sit back and let a real ale drinker show yer how it's done.~
==BKORGAN ~(Releases a far louder belch)~
== BP#IMO ~Everyone expects that from a disgusting, violent, stinky drawf!~
= ~It's more shocking from a cute young girl.~
==BKORGAN ~Quit ye excuses girlie. Admit yer lost this une and don?t crowd me drinking. Or grab another mug and keep up. ~
== BP#IMO ~Innkeeper! Innkeeper! We need more ale here!~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~ Global (P#IMVI_MV1?,?LOCALS?,0)~ BP#IMO P#IMVI_MV1
~Viconia, how effective is spider venom?~
DO ~SetGlobal (P#IMVI_MV1?,?LOCALS?,1)~
== BVICONI ~What in the Nine Hells are you talking about jalil?~
== BP#IMO ~Spider venom. I?ve been thinkin? about using some as a base for my next batch of poisons. I reckon that a drow should know lots ?bout it.~
== BVICONI ~It depends on the type of the spider of course. The jaluk assassins of House DeVir would occasionally coat their weapons with some collected from the deadliest species. It was not of much interest to me, however. I always preferred to deal with my enemies personally.~
== BP#IMO ~I can sympathize: I want to see Irenicus and Bhodi suffer at my hand.~
== BVICONI ~As an exile I was hunted by drow, driders and spider alike, but I was too busy not dying to study the poisons? effects.~
== BP#IMO ~A pity that?~
== BP#IMO ~Wait, you were hunted as an exile? How horrible! Would you care to talk about it, aunty Viconia?~
== BVICONI ~Imoen, I did not survive as long as I have by being a trusting fool. Next time you aim to become a drow?s confidant start with masking that gleam in your eyes.~
== BP#IMO ~(Dammit!)~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~ Global (P#IMVI_MV2?,?LOCALS?,0)~ BP#IMO P#IMVI_MV2
~So then drow don?t use spider venom a whole lot. Why not, Viconia? I thought your kin practically *lived* with the spiders.~
DO ~SetGlobal (P#IMVI_MV2?,?LOCALS?,1)~
== BVICONI ~It is difficult to remove poisonous secretions from the spiders without hurting or even killing them. And anyone who killed a spider would consider oneself lucky if Lloth?s priestesses ordered them to be swiftly sacrificed. Why, in most cases they?d make the heretic curse the day his mother ordered his father to come to her bed.~
== BP#IMO ~All right, alright. So what poisons do the drow use then?!~
== BVICONI~ ?Khaless?, which can be translated into Common as ?trust?. Warriors would coat crossbow bolts with it and?~
== BP#IMO ~ Of course! The famous sleeping poison. Huh, apart from it loosing its potency too quickly on the surface, someone dying in their sleep is too peaceful for my tastes?anyone who merits my killing them, deserves to suffer.~
== BVICONI ~You are the first one to berate my kin?s ways as being too merciful. If torture is what you are after, rather than efficiency, then Belbol d'Elghinn or Haszak is what you are looking for.~
== BP#IMO ~What?~
== BVICONI~ Belbol d'Elghinn - the gift of death. It is severely hemorrhagic and causes profound bleeding from the victim?s mouth within minutes. Afflicted person chokes on her own blood. ~
== BP#IMO ~Cut them up a little first, watch them bleed to death?perfect. (A smile forms across Imoen?s face) A poetic justice for Bodhi?~
== BVICONI~ Haszak is extremely rare. It comes from the brains of what you rivvil call ?mind flayers?. It causes severe paranoia and hallucinations for days, and leaves spellcasters practically worthless.~
== BP#IMO ~Perfect. (This one is for ya, Irenicus)~
EXIT

CHAIN IF ~ Global (P#IMVI_MV3?,?LOCALS?,0) !Global(?Chapter?,?GLOBAL?,5)~ BP#IMO P#IMVI_MV3
~Viconia, where can I get the ingredients for these poisons you?ve been telling me about?~
DO ~SetGlobal (P#IMVI_MV3?,?LOCALS?,3)~
== BVICONI ~You can?t, jalil. The water serpents that Belbol d?Elghinn comes from are endemic to the Underdark, and it takes a great skill to harvest venom.~
~The brain of a haszak is difficult to come by, and to add to that the creation of the toxin requires powerful incantations. I doubt that you will ever obtain any.~
== BP#IMO ~(Sourly) Such a tease you are, Viconia.~
== BVICONI ~The loss you now feel, girl Imoen, feeds my goddess.~
== BP#IMO ~ Shar feeds off that little thing? Bah, then she is a scrawny beggar! I?m just a tad disappointed, that?s all. It?s not like I?ve realized my goals can never be fulfilled, or that my whole life has been in vain, or anything.~
== BVICONI ~Every loss counts. Every loss advances me in Her eyes.~
== BP#IMO ~Or is that how you like to think of it?~
== BVICONI ~(Smiles darkly) Yes, that is how I think of it.~
== BP#IMO ~You?re doing practically naught! Is this ?every little piece makes Shar stronger? how you lull yourself into thinking that you are some big time priestess?~
== BVICONI ~Don?t go too far rivvil. I have lost everything, suffered, and continue to suffer for what and who I am. I have brought the lives of countless others to ruin around my own. I *am* the ?big time? priestess, and if you do not shut your mouth now, you will shortly mourn the loss of your tongue.~
== BP#IMO ~ Sheesh, I was just kiddin?. But I would love to see you pull someone?s tongue out, Viconia. Not mine, mind. Perhaps you could show me later? and I can help out. Hold the special pincers or somethin?.~
EXIT

#13 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 03 January 2007 - 08:58 AM

I am not sure Andrew is still around, but I have no problem with you using them

Meaning, that we do try to contact him if you do want to use the banters. Duh, I'm distracted this morning! :)

#14 -A. Nonymous-

-A. Nonymous-

Posted 03 January 2007 - 10:38 AM

I'm not sure you understood what I was suggesting. I'm not saying that Imoen should counter everything sheerful she says with something dark as if it were an interjection. I'm saying that she could make an observation that she feels conflicted, and wonders about her own unpredictable behavior.

Well, I certainly assume that she would feel conflicted if she undergoes a sudden personality change. :P But yes, I think I did manage to interpret "mark when she does say really chipper things and then give her something dark and conflicted to say afterwards" in the worst possible way.

Is Imoen really mentally ill, or just... bouncy? Don't know, really. Her personality was never developed well enough to rule it out.

Eh, sure, but you could say that about a lot of things. I certainly never thought she acted bouncy enough to suggest anything beyond natural cheerfulness.

And the fact that she's starting to feel the effects of being a Bhaalspawn should really be the only mental problem she needs.

Ultimately, if you were going to make Imoen corruptible, you'd have to replace states toward the later end of the game. Kelsey manages it with Anomen's dialog, so it must be possible.

Even with my limited knowledge of IE modding, I think I'd be able to pull it off. The only real problem would be the voice-acting. Banters without VA really sticks out as mod content. :(

#15 Tassadar88

Tassadar88

Templar in Flames

• 1302 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 01:27 PM

Hi, I apologize for my perverse perfidous penchant for pedantic proofreading, but as I was reading your banters, which I must say were great, I just noticed two minor bugs (would you be interested in some minor proofreading of other dialogues, too? ;))

Here I just noticed these two (might have missed something though)

That's explains it...
<b>That</b> explains it...

dieing
dying

EDIT: corrected a few typos of my own here... too sleepy, I suppose...

Edited by Tassadar88, 03 January 2007 - 01:28 PM.

The Mind is its own place and in itself - can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven. -John Milton, Paradise lost

#16 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 03 January 2007 - 02:20 PM

In addition to...

1: Caring, brother/sister path - help her heal

...how about a little of the reverse? I know some of my CHARNAMEs would be glad of a friendly face to discuss fears of permanently turning into a monster with, or the like.

#17 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 03 January 2007 - 02:48 PM

Hi, I apologize for my perverse perfidous penchant for pedantic proofreading, but as I was reading your banters, which I must say were great, I just noticed two minor bugs (would you be interested in some minor proofreading of other dialogues, too? )

Uhm, I'm not sure if you are chatting with me or with NPC IEP guys?

If it's me, I appologize in advance for not PM'ing, but I don't have an account on Spellhold. If you are interested in editing I do have scrolls-full of writing at G3, but not for the Midnight Visitor (it was retired). My current project is this: http://forums.gibber...p?showforum=116 Please, catch me there if this is of any interest to you :)

#18 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 12:36 AM

Domi: By the supportive brother/sister role, that isn't limited to supporting Imoen. What it means is that its just a more regular relationship with her - there'll be lots of two-way supporting!

A. Nonymous: Firstly, get an account! ;) Secondly, none of the IEP will be voiced, sadly, so it will be much like the banter packs. In some cases, I'm considering asking several people to voice some of the characters, but it will be noticeable because it will have been done by other people.

I'm considering dropping the corruption path... for now, at least. Several reasons, and if anyone wants to try to persuade me otherwise, go for it! *grins*

- I don't think it is viable for Imoen to be evil - she's too strong to be changed. Even if she was spoken to during her darker moments, I don't think she'd ever become evil. Rather, I think she'd try to change the *PC*, rather than the PC changing her! You could still be cruel to her, though... she'll stay by your side, through thick and thin... but she does have a snapping point.

- The amount of work is more than I am prepared to take on. I have 5 or so friendships to write, and having to rewrite all her end-SoA and ToB content would be too much. Unless there is snother writer willing to work with me, I'm not prepared to take it on.

- If the PC were to try to seduce Imoen to the side of dark (and was *very* convincing), I think she'd become more... dark, rather than evil. She'd be interested in chaos, etc. Not that I'll be doing this, just a point.

- Did I mention too much work? Heh.

#19 -A. Nonymous-

-A. Nonymous-

Posted 04 January 2007 - 06:12 AM

A. Nonymous: Firstly, get an account! ;)

But then I wouldn't be anonymous anymore! :crying: ...but yeah, I probably should.

Secondly, none of the IEP will be voiced, sadly, so it will be much like the banter packs. In some cases, I'm considering asking several people to voice some of the characters, but it will be noticeable because it will have been done by other people.

That's what I'd expect. I mean, it would be kinda hard to get the original VA to do it...

I think I'd rather have silence than a new voice that doesn't fit.

I'm considering dropping the corruption path... for now, at least. Several reasons, and if anyone wants to try to persuade me otherwise, go for it! *grins*

That might be for the best. It would be a *lot* of work for something only a handful of people would use anyway.

- I don't think it is viable for Imoen to be evil - she's too strong to be changed. Even if she was spoken to during her darker moments, I don't think she'd ever become evil. Rather, I think she'd try to change the *PC*, rather than the PC changing her! You could still be cruel to her, though... she'll stay by your side, through thick and thin... but she does have a snapping point.

Actually, I really *could* see an evil Imoen, but not only because of the PC. It would be more of weakness after the Spellhold events coupled with losing her soul and suddenly having to deal with the influence of Bhaal - it could easily become too much. She would probably start to change somewhere in the Underdark, while you're busy running fetch quest for the drow. I imagine she'd act much like her old self, except... well, evil. :P Still perky, cheerful and bouncy, except that she would no longer see anything wrong with killing and looting indiscriminately - she might even start to enjoy it. During this time, the PC's support might become very important to her. If you start going "hey, I saw you smiling when we killed those guards - feels good, doesn't it? There's more of them that way, let's do it again!" when she's already uncertain, it won't help matters. (And I don't expect being surrounded by dark elves who *also* expect you to act like a chaotic evil bastard helps much either.) Depending on how far gone she is, she may or may not start to recover when she gets her soul back. And if you do your best to support her, she might not change much at all.

I tend to expect the PC and Imoen to have more trouble dealing with their heritage in general. I imagine there would be a pull towards CE-like behaviour in their genes, so to speak, which only gets worse as the Bhaalspawn rise in power. There has to be more to being the child of a god than the occasional nightmare and random once-per-day use of a first-level spell. <_<

#20 cmorgan

cmorgan
  • Modder
  • 2301 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 06:52 AM

I am completely "corupted" :) by The BG1 NPC Project Imoen, and so far everything you have discussed K'aeloree has made good solid sense. I like A.nonymous (Monk? a brother of Thelonius, perhaps?)'s idea of the pull towards the dark side, and the ability to stop her from going there still being present.

Two points:
1. definitely no voicing, please - it may scream Mod content, but it matches banterpack and other behaviors. Voicing would definitely break the "suspension of disbelief" in the same way watching a voice-overdubbed film does, only worse!!!! Unless there is a willingness to rerecord the entire voiceset for an NPC, this would be a Bad Idea ™
2. berelinde is right - inner conflict to the rescue. Short of Tiax, there is no more "open" NPC in the game for odd mood swings. Imoen has been through enough to crush a normal mortal even before BG2. She may be a strong independent voice, but the protagonist is (by definition) the "Hero" of the story. I think Imoen can be much more conflicted and chaotic without changing alignment, just the way anyone undergoing soul-sucking (is it Tax Time already?!) can deviate from their norms!