Photo

Mod confusion

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Capreolus

Capreolus
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 04:02 AM

Heya all. I've been looking up BG Mods for a while now, but I'm afraid I am a bit (lot) of a newbie to this, and I was wondering if you could give me a hand on what versions of what mods I could use and where to find them, as many of the descriptions of what's compatible with what seem to be confusing to say the least and sometimes downright contradictory.

I have: BG1, TotSC, BG2, ToB, and let's work on the assumption I have theoretically infinite HD space (so full installs for all of them, I don't mind about mod sizes and whatever)

I would like: Something to play BG1 under the BG2 engine (good graphics and high resolution being the main things), I don't mind what. I gather BGT would do this, but I've been hearing nice things about something called Tutu? Also, would this let me use BG2-style kits in BG1?
The Big Picture (which I also hear comes bundled with BGT anyway)
DSotSC / NTotSC (does the former come as part of the latter?)
I've heard nice things about a mod called Ascension, can anyone enlighten me about this?
And any and all recommendations from you guys (aka the experts) about what else you would recommend I use. I'm fond of big-quest expansions, not so keen on getting yet more romancable NPCs and whatever

Now I realise that's a bit of a handful, and I greatly appreciate any help you can give me. It's basically what versions I should use to get the above to work together, where I can *find* said versions, and if possible a rough install order.

Thanks incredibly for anyone who has the patience with me to answer :-)

Capreolus

#2 ronin

ronin
  • Modder
  • 2114 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 04:06 AM

Heya all. I've been looking up BG Mods for a while now, but I'm afraid I am a bit (lot) of a newbie to this, and I was wondering if you could give me a hand on what versions of what mods I could use and where to find them, as many of the descriptions of what's compatible with what seem to be confusing to say the least and sometimes downright contradictory.

I have: BG1, TotSC, BG2, ToB, and let's work on the assumption I have theoretically infinite HD space (so full installs for all of them, I don't mind about mod sizes and whatever)

I would like: Something to play BG1 under the BG2 engine (good graphics and high resolution being the main things), I don't mind what. I gather BGT would do this, but I've been hearing nice things about something called Tutu? Also, would this let me use BG2-style kits in BG1?
The Big Picture (which I also hear comes bundled with BGT anyway)
DSotSC / NTotSC (does the former come as part of the latter?)
I've heard nice things about a mod called Ascension, can anyone enlighten me about this?
And any and all recommendations from you guys (aka the experts) about what else you would recommend I use. I'm fond of big-quest expansions, not so keen on getting yet more romancable NPCs and whatever

Now I realise that's a bit of a handful, and I greatly appreciate any help you can give me. It's basically what versions I should use to get the above to work together, where I can *find* said versions, and if possible a rough install order.

Thanks incredibly for anyone who has the patience with me to answer :-)

Capreolus

Check here: http://www.shsforums...showtopic=18294

and here: http://www.shsforums...showtopic=22224

the only change would be to grab worldmap v6.4

ronin

Edited by ronin69hof, 17 January 2007 - 04:06 AM.

#3 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 04:38 AM

For now, the latest BG1 NPC install (BG1 NPCs expanded into BG2 format, with quests, banters and even six romances - Ajantis, Coran, Xan for females, and Branwen, Dynaheir, Shar-Teel for males) is reported stable and bug-free only for TUTU(EasyTUTU). The install for BGT(BP-BGT) has not been fully tested yet.

So, to play BG1, I'd recommend installing EasyTUTU(BG1 in BG2 engine) and BG1 NPC:
http://usoutpost31.com/easytutu/
http://gibberlings3.net/bg1npc/

And for your BG2 install, you could modify it however you like, including Ascension and other BG2 mods. This thread may come in useful:
http://forums.pocket...ic,17556.0.html
("Installation Orders"), and this one:
http://forums.pocket...ic,17153.0.html
("Recommended mods")

#4 Capreolus

Capreolus
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 01:50 AM

Kulyok: Thanks for the tip-off! I've downloaded (but not got round to installing) Easytutu_ToB, Tutufix_v17, Tutusounds_v4 and the BG1NPC pack, that seems to be plenty for my BG1 installation :-). Additional query though, does that work with DS/NTotSC? And do I have to get a particular version / install in a particular order to have it work?

ronin69hof: Thanks for the links. I've not been able to find anything about worldmap though, what does that mod do?

Finally, I've subsequently read about a mod called Unfinished Business, and another one called Tactics (?), along with a "Quest Pack" (not sure if that's the name or description). Can you tell me anything about them? Like them? Loathe them? Horrifically unbalance the game?

Thanks

Capreolus

#5 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 02:44 AM

Unfinished Business for BG2 is part of my standard installation, but you need to be careful not to install the "Restroed minor dialogs" component if you plan to install the BG2 Fixpack available from G3.

Quest Pack is also quite nice. Check your installation instructions, though, because there is an installation order issue with this one (has to be installed after a certain other mod).

Tactics makes the game very very challenging, so unless you are a master tactician, I might give it a miss on your first play through.

Those three mods are all intended for you Baldurs Gate 2 Shadows of Amn installation.

Easy Tutu is by far the simplest Baldur's Gate conversion to use, although BGT has a devoted following, as well.

Just in case it wasn't obvious, you will only apply one conversion or the other to your installation.

If you were asking about the new Tutu release of Unfinished Business for Baldur's Gate by Ascension64, you might want to wait until the results of compatibility testing are in, because there are going to be some components that are incompatible with the Baldur's Gate NPC Project, which is an entirely satisfying mod.

Have fun!

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#6 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:03 AM

Unfinished Business and Quest Pack are quite good, though Berelinde is right about "Restored Minor Dialogues" component of UB.

Tactis is widely popular, so it must have something. I didn't try it, though, because I think it might be too difficult for me. (Another mod by the same author was way too hard for me).

And from what I know, a TUTU conversion of DSOTSC(and NTOTSC) is planned, but not yet done. There are two other quest/tactics mods for TUTU: "In Candelight"(a rather big one) and "Sword Coast Strategems". I tried both, and they are good enough to play once, though I found them making my game a tad too difficult.
http://gibberlings3.net/scs/
http://dragonshoard....et/download.php

#7 Capreolus

Capreolus
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:49 AM

If you were asking about the new Tutu release of Unfinished Business for Baldur's Gate by Ascension64, you might want to wait until the results of compatibility testing are in, because there are going to be some components that are incompatible with the Baldur's Gate NPC Project, which is an entirely satisfying mod.

And from what I know, a TUTU conversion of DSOTSC(and NTOTSC) is planned, but not yet done

Right. So from the sounds of that, I may want to wait for Unfinished Business for Tutu, but I shouldn't hold my breath for DS/NTotSC. Sound fair? It does make it ironic though: I came here looking for up to date DS/NTotSC, and came away with over a dozen other mods... but I can't use DS/NT. D'oh. Ah well...

There are two other quest/tactics mods for TUTU: "In Candelight"(a rather big one) and "Sword Coast Strategems". I tried both, and they are good enough to play once, though I found them making my game a tad too difficult.

Ok. Sword Coast Strategems (from its website) sounds like "Tactics" for BG1Tutu, so I'll give that a go. In Candlelight is apparantly the first of a trilogy, but the last parts haven't been released yet and there've been no updates for at least 6 months... ah what the heck, I'll try that one too.

So, for BG1, I'm installing: EasyTutu_ToB; the Degreenifier; Tutufix; BG1NPC; TutuGUI; Sword Coast Strategems; In Candlelight; but waiting for Unfinished Business to be finished (irony, anyone?) before I do, as I may want that too. Are there any problems with that, especially where SCS / In Candlelight come in the install order? If not, good. That's BG1 sorted :-)

BG2/ToB. I've downloaded Unfinished Business; Quest Pack; The Big Picture; Ascension (is that included in BP anyway?); and let's work on the assumption I want to use Tactics as well. I'm not totally sure, as I am traditionally not a masochist, but it'll be fun and I have plenty of time to replay fights.

What order should I install those five in, and are there any others that are blatantly needed that I've missed out that I should use? (Somebody mentioned a BG2 fixpack, for example?)

I apologise if that sounds demanding and harsh, but getting these all sorted out in my mind is beginning to mess with my head. On the other hand, when it's all done, I'll cut them all to a CD for myself with an installation guide, and I won't have to worry about going through all this again when I next have to install everything :-).

Thanks awesomely everyone, you're being great to me.

Capreolus

#8 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:57 AM

Hey,

I think you'll be allright with BG1 install. I'd install SCS last, and also there's a fun mod called BG2 Tweaks - you may try it, too.

As for the BG2 - it looks good, but since you mention The Big Picture, perhaps you'll be better off asking questions about that mod in that forum, here at Spellhold Studios. As far as I am aware of, though, The Big Picture doesn't add much - mostly, it works like glue for several other big mods. But I never played it, so I wouldn't know.

Again, good luck.

Edited by Kulyok, 18 January 2007 - 03:58 AM.

#9 Capreolus

Capreolus
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 04:04 AM

Glue for three other mods? As in you need those mods as well? I thought it *was* those 3 mods :-S. Good plan though. Once I've got everything sorted, I'll ask about The Big Picture in its forum.

BG2 Tweaks? That's a mod for BG1, is it? Ok, I'll take a look. Thanks.

Capreolus

#10 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 04:24 AM

Because Tutu uses the BG2 engine, many mods designed for BG2 will work on it, like BG2 Tweaks, Song and Silence, Ashes of Embers, Divine Remix, et al

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum