Childhood sweethearts - A BGT Mod idea

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Varelan

Varelan
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 12:39 PM

Short Story first.

"Hey Imoen!! Have you seen [CHARNAME]? Anywhere? I can't find them." The young bard called out, foiling the young theif's attempts at breaking into Winthrop's Chest yet again. Startled Imoen fell back hard.

"Owww, Laeori why'd ya sneak up on me like that? I saw [CHARNAME] heading towards the Library." She stood and brushed herself off, glancing to the bard. "I saw you two the other eve." she added in a sly, knowing tone that caused the usually shameless bard to blush heavily.

"Ahh, I don't know what you mean, we were just practicing for a play!" she lamely excused, backing against the wall at the advancing Imoen.

"A play? The only one here who wouldn't have a heart attack at a play like that is me and ol' puffguts." She smiled as Laeori bumped against the wall. "But then, I wasn't here was I? No sir."

Laeori caught on quickly and smiled, kissing Imoen's cheek. "Yer a true friend." she said and ran out. Imoen brushed her hand lightly and gazed off after the Bard, her face melencholy.

"Yeah.. a true friend." she whispered to herself.

-----------------------

Laeori sat her arms around the shoulders of [CHARNAME] gazing at the fire. "What's wrong?" she asked her friend and lover.

[CHARNAME] Kissed the soft fingers of Laeori and gazed at the fire. "I had a strange dream, I couldn't see anything, but there was a sense of urgency, as though I was running from something, and then a feeling of fear, followed by loss, anger.. grief. I was lost in a whirlwind, people were falling in my wake, and no matter how much I tried to put right, more things were going wrong... and.. and... I lost you..."

Laeori took a gasp in and turned to look [CHARNAME] in the face. Sitting in their lap and gazing into those eyes she fell into every time, they had grown up together, they knew more about each other then anyone else could. "I'm not going anywhere, wherever you are, I'll be there, beside you.. always." She reassured...

--------------------

Premise: A romance mod that spans from beginning to end, but with a difference, this is a romance in progress, not a starting romance. But can you keep your childhood sweetheart happy? Or are you changing too much?

NPC Name: Laeori Flamehair

Sexuality: Bisexual.

Hair: Ginger.

Class: Bard

Stats:

Str 9
Dex 14
Con 8
Int 15
Wis 12
Chr 17

Alignment: Chaotic (PC Dependant if possable i.e Good characters make her Chaotic Good, Neutral characters make her chaotic Neutral, evil characters make her Neutral Evil)

History: Laeori has been raised with [CHARNAME] and Imoen, they know her, she knows them, there is no real mystery behind her, she's an open book as far as they're concerned. As a Bard she's pretty knowledgable about lore and has read nearly every book on history and legend in Candlekeep. Since as long as they can recall, the three have been the closest of friends, and she and the PC became romantically involved years prior to the exodus from Candlekeep.

Personality of Laeori: A strong, levelheaded woman who's loyalty and affection knows no boundries, she is not some delicate flower and knows her own mind, her relationship to the player is that of a familiar, comfortable relationship, already in it's prime and can only get better, or worse. Whilst they love each other dearly, there is no 'need' for each other as such, just the happy fact that being around each other completes them emotionally.

Features of mod I would like to see:

Dynamic NPC: Alignment alters the lovetalks/banters, whilst there would be alignment neutral conversations, I think a good relationship would be more affectionate comments and 'nice' discussions, whilst two evil people in love would more likely have a dynamic of mutual respect without worrying about hurting the feelings of the other, there would be more overt passion to the relationship and more of a 'This person is mine, they belong to me.'

A history to [CHARNAME]: Sometimes Laeori could refer to things that happened in the past.

I have ways to address the transition in BGT from Baldur's Gate to Baldur's Gate 2, ranging from after the big fight Laeori staying in Baldur's Gate for a while, expecting her love not to be gone long and then searching for them when they don't return to a big argument before the transition in which she storms off out of [CHARNAME]'s life, only to be reunited in Athkatla.

A deep, emotional plot, a story line and quests that span the length of the trilogy and a hidden secret to be discovered.

Edit: Some more to whet the appitite of my idea.

And yes, I know my grammar and spelling leave a lot to be desired x.x
Scene:

Athkatla, moments after the breakout of the party and the arrest of Imoen.

[CHARNAME]? Imoen? [CHARNAME]!! What happened? Where did you go? Where did they take Imoen?

Jahira: We don't have time for this!

Minsc: Laeori!! Wonder of wonders! Boo was right, wherever [CHARNAME] is, his faithful minstrel is always near by!

Laeori: Jahira? Minsc? But, where are Dynaheir and Kalhid? And will someone tell me what's going on here!!!

Evil Char replies:
1. Oh, the usual some fool thought he could lock me up, Dynaheir and Kalhid are dead.
2. Laeori... following me as usual like a love sick puppy, go home, I have no use for your wailings and fawnings.
3. *Grab Laeori in your arms and pull her close* At least you haven't forgotten who you belong to, I'll tell you all about it later, for now, just fall in line.

Neutral char:
1. We were captured by some psyhcopathic mage, Imeon and he were taken away by these other mages, Dynaheir and Kalhid... I'll let the other's say their respective peace.
2. Laeori... it is good to see you again, it always fills my heart to see you. However, we are in great danger and it would break my heart to see you killed on my account, head back to Baldur's Gate, my heart will rest easy to know you are safe.
3. *Walk over to Laeori and take her hand in yours* And as always, our paths interwine, it is good to see you my heart, I will tell you everything when we are safe.

Good Char:
1. Oh thank the gods you're safe, I was worried about you too. We were captured by this evil mage, I feared you met the same fate as Kalhid and Dynaheir, we must take steps to rescue Imoen.
2. My heart... I cannot tell you how good it is to see you again. We're in grave danger however, and I fear we will be taken places that could get you hurt, or killed and I could not allow this. Please my love, go home.
3. *Picks up Laeori and twirls her around* Laeori!!! It's great to see you once again my heart, come, we must find somewhere safe whilst we make sense of all of this, I'll tell you everything when we get there.

Edited by Varelan, 30 January 2007 - 02:08 AM.

#2 pro5

pro5
  • Modder
  • 722 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 06:09 PM

Alignment: Chaotic (PC Dependant if possable i.e Good characters make her Chaotic Good, Neutral characters make her chaotic Neutral, evil characters make her Neutral Evil)

I like this idea of a flexible alignment, and yes it's quite possible - just make 3 different cre files and spawn one of them after alignment check when area loads. It may be a nightmare to write 3 different sets of dialogues for them, however. :blink: (in case you didn't notice, it takes people years to finish one NPC with fixed alignment!)

Introducing her as someone who has been with Imoen and Charname all along is also quite a challenge, from a story-telling point of view. The player is supposed to know everything about her, but we really will know nothing - and you have to find a way of revealing her personality in a way as if we were remembering it, not learning anew. :)

Just wondering - how much work you've already done on this? Asking because that's probably the main starting point for how much coding help offers you're going to get. ;)

#3 Varelan

Varelan
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 01:56 PM

I can't code, Story wise, I'm about... 33% through the good alignment (I took your advice) Main branch, though I am about 50% through the backstory... Thing is, to write this, I'm playing BGT from the beginning, pausing at each bit I feel could help from her view point and writing a scene...

It's going to take me a long, long time :crying:

I feel it's worth it though, a good story is always worth it.

#4 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

The great pretender... of modding!

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 11:40 PM

I like this but only in part.

I would not like seeing it start in BG2. Seems like it would be a "Ta-Da! By the way, you poast has been totally changed!"

Now if this was done for TuTu/BGT then I think it could work.

Edited for typos.

Edited by MajorTomSawyer, 18 February 2007 - 11:41 PM.

- The transitioned former modder once known as MTS.

#5 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 04:47 AM

Now if this was done for TuTu/BGT then I think it could work.

So why not presume her to start in Candle Keep first off? To join her in to the group before the leaving off. Like near the Temple of Oghma. Or something.

Just one question, so if I would be taking my party as the Laeori, Imoen Jaheira, Minsc, Dynaheir, and Khalid, where would my character fit in the group? As the text indicates. :whistling:
An another question is, that at what kind of compositions do people take to the adventure if they are: Good, Neutral or Evil.
And yet, you'll have to be able to have her refute all the other romances between the Bioware NPS and more.

But if you can conjure up such a magnificent piece of literature art that Volo should be impressed, and such tools of trade that not even Simon the Sorcerer get all of them to his hat, I am sure the search for coder is done with no effort. :new_thumbs:

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#6 Varelan

Varelan
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 11:22 AM

Actually read the title of this thread... A BGT Mod idea

Hehe, the idea is to start at Candlekeep, but I didn't want her to be captured along with everyone else as story wise the chance of her survival would have been slim, what with being so close to the character, the example I gave was the tie in.

I was thinking that if you wanted to have the Imoen, Jahira, Kalid, Minsc, Dynaheir party combination but still wanted to pursue her romance through the first part of the game there could be a line at the beginning, or somewhere along the way saying 'Your company as always is welcome, but our journey is rough, if you would wait for me in Beregost I shall join you promptly'

Then, given alignment and time factors, everytime you went to Beregost to see her she would tell you what she's learned, show you what she's discovered etc, even have the option of joining up with you again.

Not sure if this part is possable either, blah.. I have such big plans for a no talent... :lol:

Backgrounds - 25% Good 10% Neutral - 33% Evil
Story - 30%
Player talks - 15% Good 5% Neutral - 10% Evil
NPC Banter - 0%

#7 Riviera

Riviera

Silmeria, the elven bard

• 355 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:15 PM

So glad to see a BGT mod in the making!! :hug:

And so complex!

I can't do much (already have my fingers in four mods at the moment), but if I can help at all, give me a shout. I'm mostly good at ideas and occasonally banters.. I have yet to learn coding.

But I like this idea! Maybe she can show up.. say.. in the Copper Coronet after BG2 starts? She's a bard, she'd be bound to hear the latest tidbits and rumors, and I'm sure she'd have her ear to the ground as far as her sweetheart is concerned. Since BGT's transition has them leaving for Amn anyway.. she could have tried to beat him there as a surprise? She may just have a bit of a snit at him at first for making her wait so long! (until she hears about Irene) Plus, the CC is as good a place as any for a bard. She could make a few coins while she waits playing a song or two for the crowd.

:lol:

That could cover the possibility of the PC not wanting her along (whatever the reason, he'd likely not tell her where he was going cause he knows she'd follow. so she'd find out on her own) the one of the PC wanting her to come (she got wind of where they were headed before he could ask her to go, left early), and the one of her being left in Beregost (the stuff that went on in Baldur's Gate would be big news, and such a public figure as the PC is after would be noticed leaving town. They'd be able to say what general direction, she could do a bit of detective work to find out where he was headed, and go from there).

Since the game assumes you took Jah, Immy, Khalid, Minsc and Dyna no matter what your alignment is.. party composition might not be a problem. It'd be nice if it could be worked in, but there are literally TONS of possibilities.. @_@

Edited by Riviera, 20 February 2007 - 12:38 PM.

I do not love you as if you were salt-rose, or topaz,
or the arrow of carnations the fire shoots off.
I love you as certain dark things are to be loved,
in secret, between the shadow and the soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#8 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 01:13 PM

Of you would like a workforum, I would be happy to oblige... :)

#9 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 25 February 2007 - 06:46 AM

i just wanted to say that i really like this, especially the dynamic npc part.
great concept! :new_thumbs:

#10 Riviera

Riviera

Silmeria, the elven bard

• 355 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 10:37 AM

I hope this idea is still hanging in there! :D

I do not love you as if you were salt-rose, or topaz,
or the arrow of carnations the fire shoots off.
I love you as certain dark things are to be loved,
in secret, between the shadow and the soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#11 Varelan

Varelan
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 01:21 PM

Still working on this, though I have taken a HUGE step backwards, reading what I wrote so far I was not happy, it seemed, I dunno a little melodramtic and contrived, To this end I've started from scratch and will only work on the background and personality of the three shades of Laeori (Name may alter if I get a better idea.) Working on dfferent branches at the moment is a bad idea as I'm a perfectionist... it's taking forever!!! Hehehe.

If you want to give this a workforum, be my guest, though like I said, I may have the idea of the mod, but I don't have the skills to code it or the voice for it etc... might be jumping the gun to give it it's own space at the moment :)

Changes I've made so far (Not that I gave much clues tot he original Laeori but hey :P)

Good Laeori is no longer a soppy damsel personality, nor is she quite as clingy.

Neutral Laeori is a little less distant and aloof, when I was writing her she was a bit too. 'eh whatever you say love'

Evil Laeori is now subserviant to the player, though she's not an evil biznitch as I originally intended there romance is actually closer then the other two!

Whenever the character stops in an inn I was thinking of a small 'conversation' cut scene in which the two (Or three, sometimes Imoen joins in) discuss life in candlekeep in a 'ohh remember when we...' I was planning to make these steerable, like the character say 'no, it happened like this...' but that seemed like it would needlessly complicate matters.

#12 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 01:29 PM

A workforum is not public, and would only be viewable by you (and those you choose). I am quite happy to teach you how to code - it's very simple once you have someone helping out! :)

Just an offer, because some people find a workroom environment to be easier to work in.

#13 Varelan

Varelan
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 01:01 AM

Then yes, I'd like that. I've coded before (many centuries ago now :P) and my biggest drawback was my personality, I'm very easily distracted and tend to want tangable results right away, but if you're willing to risk your nerves to teach me, then it would be most welcome :)

#14 Neferit

Neferit

In the name of Gaider, we fight!

• 414 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 09:08 AM

If you want to give this a workforum, be my guest, though like I said, I may have the idea of the mod, but I don't have the skills to code it or the voice for it etc... might be jumping the gun to give it it's own space at the moment

Heh, I don't have the needed skill, too; but maybe I have that voice :))) If you send me some of her lines, I can try to record them and then send them to you :)
Heck no, b - I used the word the way I use things like "twitter", and "iPod" - my first inclination is to ask "what birdcall are you studying?" and I think of "I pod, You (singular) pod, He pods, She pods, They pod, You (plural) pod, We pod..."

Writings ►☼◄ Visual Shiny Pretties ►☼◄ Another Writings

►☼◄

You think you still have some brain in your head?

►☼◄►☼◄

#15 pro5

pro5
  • Modder
  • 722 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 09:39 AM

If you need coding/modding advice, I'll be happy to help too. Just don't ask me to actually make the whole thing, I'm supposed to work on my own mod instead. :P

#16 Thauron

Thauron
  • 216 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 12:02 PM

Hey Varelan,

I might be able to help you out with some tips/tricks/advice too. Since I am working on my own BGT mod, I am more than familiar with that beauty's code and pecularities. Just give me a call if you think I can be of any use to you.

#17 Varelan

Varelan
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 07:15 AM

All offers for help are very welcome, however at the moment I have just upgraded my PC and I'm still ironing everything out, so whilst things aren't on hold, expect some delay from me :)

#18 Neferit

Neferit

In the name of Gaider, we fight!

• 414 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 09:16 AM

All offers for help are very welcome, however at the moment I have just upgraded my PC and I'm still ironing everything out, so whilst things aren't on hold, expect some delay from me

Heh, I guess that all of us have enough time to wait :)
Heck no, b - I used the word the way I use things like "twitter", and "iPod" - my first inclination is to ask "what birdcall are you studying?" and I think of "I pod, You (singular) pod, He pods, She pods, They pod, You (plural) pod, We pod..."

Writings ►☼◄ Visual Shiny Pretties ►☼◄ Another Writings

►☼◄

You think you still have some brain in your head?

►☼◄►☼◄

#19 Varelan

Varelan
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 07:52 PM

Oh you won't have to waitlong, it's just keyboard and mouse issues I'm having to work out, I have wireless and they're being pretty unresponsve, anything I type is taking over 5 times longer thanks to keystrokes missing or keys holding down or even turning to a japanese character set o.o.

#20 Varelan

Varelan
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 01:38 PM

Well I'm semi-returned, and thanks to some advice I've decided to alter the mod slightly.

Still using BGT I'm going work on one alignment at a time as seperate modules, to this end I'm altering the names and events also, the basic premise will be the same, but they will be three different women.

Good Alignment - Kerana Kensington, Human Bard.

Neutral Alignment - Leori Willowbark, Elf Druid.

Evil Alignment - Kasara Lorin, Half Elf Mage.

The basic story of a childhood sweetheart will remain, however each plot will be different in it's nature, and instead of piling them all on my plate at once, I will strive to do one character at a time, and I could do with help still

Who should be my first?

Quotes:

Kerana: "Charity isn't a foolish notion, one simple act of kindness can be like dropping a pebble in a pond, the ripples spreading out to those around."

Leori: "Like everything else, we are a part of nature. However, where we would cull overpopulation in some forests to keep a natural balance we are ourselves guilty of overpopulating. However, unlike our bestial neighbors we can check ourselves. Sometimes though, a little pruning of the species is not altogether a bad thing."

Kasara: "Power lies not in fancy bangs and fizzy spells, nor does it lie in barbaric, sweaty struggles of ripe, young glistening muscles, all throbbing and pulsing and... *ahem* Power lies in being able to control events, control people, either by kind words, or veiled promises of pain. One must not be weakened by pity, mercy or kindness but must have the resolve to see the consequences of ones actions through to the bitter end."