Photo

NWN2 Mods

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MorningGlory

MorningGlory
  • 796 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 04:59 AM

Anyone here either playing with some of the quick release ones, or working on one of your own? Just curious as to what's out there worth trying, and and what may be in the works, and thought I would come ask my most fav bunch of NWN2 players!

MG

#2 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 05:11 AM

I've been playing a mod called Asylum, but it ain't worth your time.

Besides that, nothing really interesting has been released, sadly. I was toying with creating a mod of my own, but I'm a lousy scripter ;)
"I've heard people complain that the game [the new Prince of Persia] is too easy, which seems odd to me, since I died more times than The Nameless One in a smoothie-maker."

- Yahtzee

#3 MorningGlory

MorningGlory
  • 796 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 05:25 AM

I've been playing a mod called Asylum, but it ain't worth your time.

Besides that, nothing really interesting has been released, sadly. I was toying with creating a mod of my own, but I'm a lousy scripter ;)

Erm.. Does that mean you might want or need a *cough* writer? Like.. Maybe? Like... Fer sure? Or... :P

I haven't had time to really look for any mods myself, but the couple I ran across didn't seem like they were worth installing.. :( We really need a good, expanded something-or-other to both resurrect some of the stuff that was left out and also expand some of the stuff left in. *sigh*

Did the devs get any of the bugs out of the toolset?

#4 Bluenose

Bluenose

The gnome-sage of Ral Worcester

• 1565 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 02:07 AM

There are only a few mods out so far, most of which are only small. I suspect a lot of people are still getting to grips with the modified engine. Also, as patches get released there are changes to some engine fuc=nctions, which can mean you spend a lot of time working on something only for version 1.04 to change the way it should happen. :angry: There's also the case that larger modules take a lot of time, unless you've got a team working on it which not all modders have (or even want).

One mod that I've tried and would recommend is the first part of the Pool of Radiance Remastered series by Markus "Wayne" Schlegels. It's only the first part, but it's good. He is the person who made Hunt Through the Dark for NWN1, which is a good sign of his talent, and the team he's got working is quality. This link takes you straight to the download.

I'm working on something myself, though there are problems. Some of the creatures and area types I want to include don't exist in NWN2 yet. I have wondered about moving back to NWN1, but given the nature of the city I'm creating NWN2 would be much better.

Back from the brink.

Like RPGs? Like Star Wars? Think combining the two would be fun? Read Darths and Droids, and discover the line "Jar Jar, you're a genius".

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth's foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
And took their wages and are dead.

#5 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 05:49 AM

Erm.. Does that mean you might want or need a *cough* writer? Like.. Maybe? Like... Fer sure? Or... tongue.gif

Wish it was so, but my scripting is way to bad to create anything earthshattering modwise, so I usually do things on my own when I mod... Partly because I almost only mod Civilization IV, which requires next to no technical knowledge from my part ;)

I always thought that there was almost no good mods for NWNI either... The only REALLY great mod I played was The Hex Coda. Besides that Tales of Arterra was alright, but the rest was kindda like eating air.
"I've heard people complain that the game [the new Prince of Persia] is too easy, which seems odd to me, since I died more times than The Nameless One in a smoothie-maker."

- Yahtzee

#6 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 02:00 PM

There are only a few mods out so far, most of which are only small. I suspect a lot of people are still getting to grips with the modified engine. Also, as patches get released there are changes to some engine fuc=nctions, which can mean you spend a lot of time working on something only for version 1.04 to change the way it should happen. :angry: There's also the case that larger modules take a lot of time, unless you've got a team working on it which not all modders have (or even want).

One mod that I've tried and would recommend is the first part of the Pool of Radiance Remastered series by Markus "Wayne" Schlegels. It's only the first part, but it's good. He is the person who made Hunt Through the Dark for NWN1, which is a good sign of his talent, and the team he's got working is quality. This link takes you straight to the download.

I'm working on something myself, though there are problems. Some of the creatures and area types I want to include don't exist in NWN2 yet. I have wondered about moving back to NWN1, but given the nature of the city I'm creating NWN2 would be much better.

Thanks, I'll definitely check that out. Resurrecting oldies is always good.

#7 Bluenose

Bluenose

The gnome-sage of Ral Worcester

• 1565 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 06:45 AM

One other mod that is being worked on is by Josh Sawyer (Lead Designer when NWN2 was in final work) and it's called "The Black Hound". Interestingly, a few years ago JE Sawyer was a developer at Black Isle studios, working on a game called Baldur's Gate 3: The Black Hound. On this site http://theblackhound.googlepages.com/ you can get a little more information, including this quote from the FAQ:

Q: Is The Black Hound a sequel to Baldur's Gate?

A: No. Before the project was canceled at Black Isle, the game's "official" (though never formally announced) name was Baldur's Gate III: The Black Hound; the only reason for this was because, at the time, Interplay had the rights to publish only those D&D games that contained the names "Baldur's Gate" and "Icewind Dale" in their titles (hence the unrelated Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance console games).

Back from the brink.

Like RPGs? Like Star Wars? Think combining the two would be fun? Read Darths and Droids, and discover the line "Jar Jar, you're a genius".

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth's foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
And took their wages and are dead.