23 replies to this topic

#1 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 09 February 2007 - 06:44 AM

Hello!

I would like to ask your opinion about these four creatures.

Would you think that they could be all classified as Undead ?

Thanks!

#2 pro5

pro5
  • Modder
  • 722 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 07:54 AM

Then they will be turnable by clerics.

#3 OldVeteran

OldVeteran
  • 168 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 02:23 PM

They aren't dwarves who used to live there per se. They are embodiments of concepts and therefore....well not really living but also not undead.
More like a "divine" presence? Or elemental?
--GhostNWN

#4 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 06:09 PM

I always thought of them as constructs; spirit-warrior-like magical entities created as part of the tower's trap system.

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#5 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:06 PM

Thank you for your replies, guys!

What we can say is that all four should belong to the same class, right ?

Undead is not a good class because we don't want them to be turnable (thanks pro5).

What class can we all agree on then ?

I report here their original attributes for General, Race and Class for each of them (taken from NI). It's easy to see it's screwed up:

Pride: GENERAL: HUMANOID RACE: DWARF CLASS: FIGHTER
Avarice: GENERAL: HUMANOID RACE: DWARF CLASS: MAGE-THIEF
Fear: GENERAL: UNDEAD RACE: GHOUL CLASS: GHOUL REVEANT
Love: GENERAL: HUMANOID RACE: DWARF CLASS: MAGE

Also, their alignement is set to None (0). Would you think "Neutral" should be better ?

Please if you have specific suggestions, add your comment and motivations here!

I do appreciate it!!

Thanks again, guys!

Edited by Salk, 09 February 2007 - 11:22 PM.

#6 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 12:25 AM

Funnily enough, I'm also changing these CREs in a mod I'm working on. I never noticed their class/race though.

I'd agree with Azkyroth in that they're constructs of some sort, a bit like golems. Maybe the ancient dwarves built them, probably out of metal, judging by their colour. So I would suggest changing the values to:
General: 0x1 humanoid (I guess - they're dwarf-sized anyway)
Race: 0x90 golem
Class: 0xb6 golem_iron
Alignment: 0x22 neutral

Their proficiencies are off a bit too (this is something I'm modding).

Salk, if you're doing a lot of this sort of thing in your mod, would you mind PMing me (either here or at G3) a list of CREs you're looking at? I can swap you mine so we don't end up doing duplicate work. ;)

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#7 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:30 AM

I'd actually give OldVeteran the right. They aren't made of metal or somesuch, they're embodiments of concepts. That's probably why BI thought it easy to just go with 'dwarf'.
"I've heard people complain that the game [the new Prince of Persia] is too easy, which seems odd to me, since I died more times than The Nameless One in a smoothie-maker."

- Yahtzee

#8 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:16 AM

They aren't made of metal or somesuch...

What evidence do you have for this? I don't see any reason why they can't be constructs or golems *and* the embodiments of concepts at the same time. As for being spirits or elementals of some sort - they seem too material for that. They are using normal weapons and are quite opaque and solid as far as colouring etc. And as for that, the designers didn't seem to be too consistent - two of them have metal-coloured skin and two have flesh-coloured skin. From a gaming perspective, it probably wouldn't make a huge difference. Except if you managed to get your hands on a weapon or spell that affects only dwarves or golems, which I suppose is possible via a mod.

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#9 Rabain

Rabain

God

• 653 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 12:00 PM

I always view them as concepts as well. Mainly because the requirements to get past them are not technical in nature. Each riddle requires you understand the nature of each concept in order to successfully bring them the correct answer.

Only someone capable of feeling the different concepts would understand and thus successfully pass. Afterall Durlag himself was duped by some doppelgangers impersonating his family/kin. It only makes sense that he would trap the place to not allow someone in that would not understand all the concepts fully...such as a doppelganger.
A knight without armour in a savage land...

#10 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 12:23 PM

I think everyone agrees they are embodiments of concepts, but unfortunately there is no race or class you can code for "concept." :huh: If you don't like the idea they might be golem-like in nature, the next closest things would be "mist" or "elemental" or perhaps "genie." Then you get into the undead races and classes, which would have the turning issue noted above. The warders don't seem particularly mist-like, and elemental would ask for a type (air, fire, earth). Since they don't have the appropriate elemental resistances or other such qualities, any choice there seems rather improbable.

#11 OldVeteran

OldVeteran
  • 168 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 01:06 PM

Which is why Aurora is much better in that respect :D You can pick elemental without specifying what type.
--GhostNWN

#12 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 01:23 PM

You can pick elemental without specifying type in IE. But it still begs the question: which element?

[P.S.: Aurora sux. :P]

#13 OldVeteran

OldVeteran
  • 168 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 01:32 PM

A spiritual element maybe or magical element - it doesn't have to be some very conventional (earth/fire/air/water) type.

Edited by OldVeteran, 13 February 2007 - 01:33 PM.

--GhostNWN

#14 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 12:30 AM

A spiritual element maybe or magical element - it doesn't have to be some very conventional (earth/fire/air/water) type.

Gee, why not go for "surprise elemental?" O.o

(Someday I'll have to make a point of writing something with elemental beings...hydrogen elementals, oxygen elementals, chlorine elementals, etc.)

Why not use HUMANOID, NO_RACE, and an individually appropriate class?

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#15 Rabain

Rabain

God

• 653 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 02:51 AM

It depends what you're trying to do. You can make Undead immune to Turning. You can pretty much make any creature immune to any effect in the game.

Leaving them as dwarves would seem appropriate though you can also have no_race if I recall correctly.
A knight without armour in a savage land...

#16 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 05:59 AM

They aren't made of metal or somesuch...

What evidence do you have for this? I don't see any reason why they can't be constructs or golems *and* the embodiments of concepts at the same time. As for being spirits or elementals of some sort - they seem too material for that. They are using normal weapons and are quite opaque and solid as far as colouring etc. And as for that, the designers didn't seem to be too consistent - two of them have metal-coloured skin and two have flesh-coloured skin. From a gaming perspective, it probably wouldn't make a huge difference. Except if you managed to get your hands on a weapon or spell that affects only dwarves or golems, which I suppose is possible via a mod.

Don't get me wrong, Miloch, I didn't post fact. No one has a hotline to BI, so my guess is as good as yours. I posted what I found to be most true ;)
"I've heard people complain that the game [the new Prince of Persia] is too easy, which seems odd to me, since I died more times than The Nameless One in a smoothie-maker."

- Yahtzee

#17 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 14 February 2007 - 06:27 AM

Hello!

All your suggestions are very interesting (especially Miloch's)!

Thank you very much guys for your help! :cheers:

#18 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:33 AM

What about the Chessboard piece races? I'm thinking maybe stone or iron golems. I'm leaning toward iron based on the fact they are "steel grey" coloured and my theory that Durlag (or whoever he had build the tower) was a cunning artificer of metal constructs ;).

Also, should they keep their original classes (fighter, mage, etc.), get kits, or have the classes corresponding to golem too (or something else)?

Sorry for semi-hijacking your thread, Salk, but I saw this was on your list too and I'm working on these pieces for another mod, so you might be interested in the answer (or maybe you have one already).

#19 OldVeteran

OldVeteran
  • 168 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 03:30 PM

I'd say stone or clay golems
--GhostNWN

#20 Avenger_teambg

Avenger_teambg
  • 604 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 03:43 AM

Strange, i always thought of them as demons. Demons could have ANY body, including a golem body, and their spiritual part definitely could be an embodiment of a concept.
I don't think all demons are turnable, even by very high level clerics.
Avenger