Photo

Just Curious

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Poll: Just Curious (32 member(s) have cast votes)

Have you played Beyond the Law before?

1. Yes (10 votes [31.25%])

Percentage of vote: 31.25%

2. No (17 votes [53.12%])

Percentage of vote: 53.12%

3. Partially (5 votes [15.62%])

Percentage of vote: 15.62%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 10:31 AM

Haven't played BtL.

My reasons are the same as Kellen's, I'd rather wait for the ToB stuff, and play the whole thing.

For that very reason, there are other mods I haven't tried yet (Mirrabo's Imoen, Amber, Fade). But then again, I don't play BG II as much as before, it could be that as well.

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#22 Toxeus

Toxeus
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 09:42 PM

I voted 'no', but then i read some reviews and opinions and decided to try this mod ;)
At first sight there are a lot of complicated dialogs and, since my english is really terrible, for me it will be hard to understand everything and i'll be compelled to climb often in the dictionary ;)
BTW, i don't care about ToB stuff because:
1. i don't like ToB at all
2. i want to try Longer Road mod :)

Edited by Toxeus, 20 May 2007 - 09:43 PM.

#23 Suspiria

Suspiria
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 09:23 PM

Oh this they do. Kova is probably the Only NPC that I know of to actually ask you, how exactly is killing Irenicus going to give you your soul back? Since you probably don't have a laboratory like he does.. and is kililng Irenicus really a good idea anyway? If its your soul you want.....As for you being hunted, Kova many many many times alludes to perhaps you should jus leave him behind and take care of your own problems, he doesn't add to your troubles. Among his first banters he also comments as to him being surprised about being in your fame, and how he does not understand why you do not try to be more discreet, or some meaning like that. I don't think many Mod NPCs actually say something like "You know, you're pretty famous to be travelling with," although Kova manages, in his special way, to make compliments sound less.. flattering.

Ok, now with all of this info, I feel that I absolutely MUST download this mod, post haste. lol, thanks for filling me in. I just might really enjoy this.
Posted Image

#24 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 05:05 AM

Hey, I just popped in and began reading this. Looks *really* good... I'm pretty sure that I'll try to download and play it for my next BGII run-through. I really like the sound of the in-depth banters, so yes. :). I must admit, I am a person who likes playing a mod when there is a ToB component as well, but if they have epilogues, that's good.

Through lightning, travel shadow,
Through hell and all above,
Surviving sword and arrow,
Bound stronger by the love

And in the end a witness,
To where the death has lain,
Silent through the sorrow,
Where innocents lie slain

#25 Ymarsakar

Ymarsakar
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 05:48 PM

I think in general Zyraen, the number of people that play your MOD primarily don't register and post feedback on the forums. Even for email, there is a tendency to send only bug reports, not praise.

That being said, when I got around to replaying BGII and ToB, I was looking around for mods to play, and yours was one that sound quite immersive. I was able to get up to the last part with everything accomplished, except for the wedding and that was due to the fact that I was CTRL Qing and CTRL King people in and out of the party, due to the large number of NPC mods I was playing. Your mod had a inparty global trigger that must only turn on if you talk to kova or kiyone for them to join, and so I missed out on the ending cutscene at Suld. So I voted yes, even though I will have to play through the mod at least once more.

As for general feedback, I liked the character immersion and development of your mod. The portraits reminded me of anime, and I find that the writers that I really like reading, are more or less inspired by anime storylines. Like Fel for example with his Subjugation and Sennadar stories. I found myself hanging around Spellhold Studious primarily because I'm starting my second run through of BGII, except this time with the Big Mega Mods, so I was going around trying to figure out how to accomplish all that, because it wasn't as simple as NPC mods that I played through in my first run.

Concerning the Mod's Battles, I really liked that part. In fact I love Tactics and hard battles, and being ambushed by a very nice story driven enemy party was hard but fullfilling. In point of fact, I would do AdvanceRealTime triggers just to fight the high level parties that would get sent. They were far harder and more interesting than the generic Good ambushes in Athkathla.

The shadow thief ambush itself was challenging due to the fact that I needed Keldorn there for his Instant True Sight, so whenever I left him out of the party, I would start seeing my characters getting chunked by the Shadow Thief ambushes. This was only annoying in the sense that I was trying to play several NPC mods and romances at the same time, at one time even switching the sex of my female character along with the portrait and soundset.

In conclusion, I think your mod does a wonderful job of combining character development through dialogue, plot development through hard game fights, and tactical challenges cemented with emotional ties to Kova and Kiyone. I really got a sense of satisfaction in beating Kova's enemies with the help of Kiyone, which was far more than I would have gotten if I had only heard from Kova concerning his enemies and the protection he was acquiring by joining my party. You made that piece of dialogue/story into reality, by connecting the player, me, to the event itself in question with the tactics battles. That synthesis does very good things for immersion in my view.

Edited by Ymarsakar, 25 June 2007 - 05:56 PM.