• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

The great pretender... of modding!

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 03:18 PM

So, when you want to re-release an old mod by another author, how long should you wait when you attempt to contact them?

Recent case in point, there is an item I want to add to ToC Part One (and another bit). The author has it posted on their website they do not know how to code something to weidu.

I emailed about two weeks ago, and have yet to get a responce.

At what point should you give up and release it, or is it better to never release it at this point?

*Edit* Update:

The site in question (this time) was last updated on 8/18/2005.

Edited by MajorTomSawyer, 17 February 2007 - 03:29 PM.

- The transitioned former modder once known as MTS.

#2 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 04:06 PM

If you're just looking for comments, I says that is long enough.

I says give the developer one month. No response, code away. If developer comes back and pulls a kinippshit (sic), then fein ignorance, ask for penatance, ask to allow it officially. Worse, pull mod and offer it via PM.

"I gladly simp for jastey" -- Aza
==========================================================
"You ever notice that "What the hell?!" is the answer to just about everything?"
==========================================================

"Girls are like phones, they like to be held and talked too, but if you press the wrong button, you will be disconnected!" DJ Nikodemus
================================================================
Community Contributions
* Level 1 NPCs * gMinion: expanded TP2 for MegaInstalls * PSM (PSQM): expanded scripts for Melanthium * Shar Nadal (DSotSC-BGT) revision * non-detectable Cloak of Non-Detection ?? * Weimer's-Tactics: revised TP2 for MegaInstalls * a directory of Mega-Installation Guides *

#3 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 05:26 PM

I say send 4 emails or PMs and wait six weeks.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#4 ronin

ronin
  • Modder
  • 2114 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 01:14 AM

I would say if the author cannot be contacted in a resonable amount of time, say 4 weeks, then contact K'aeloree with you proof that you tried to contact the original author and let him tell you yes or no since he is the boss here. If the original author hasnt responded to your requests within that amount of time either he is no longer around or has no interest anymore.

ronin

#5 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 01:34 AM

4 weeks just isn't enough time. 4-6 Months might be more realistic.

The problem is, sometimes modders disappear for a few months, then reappear - and if they see their mod is being worked on by someone else, they're going to be mighty upset. Imagine if it were you, and your hard work was being altered to something you possibly didn't like - how would you feel?

So we need to make sure that the author really is not coming back, or not interested, and all methods of communication must be tried, IMO.

#6 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 01:36 AM

What if the modder hasn't been around for, for example, 2-3 years? Just for the sake of the argument - is it still feasible to wait up to 6 months in that case?

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#7 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 02:12 AM

I guess the mod's Readme is the best source.

If the mod has "This mod may not be sold, published, compiled or redistributed in any form without the consent of its author," the answer is an explicit no, even after six or sixty years. :)

If the readme doesn't have such a note, I'd agree with K'aeloree.

#8 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 03:02 AM

"This mod may not be sold, published, compiled or redistributed in any form without the consent of its author,"

Well, I thought BG1, TotSC, BG2, ToB, IWD1, and IWD2 all have that as part of their use agreement. I think that so long as you give credit to the author and take credit for changes it should be alright. If you are active in the modding community and keep up with things then we should respect their wishes, but once they leave then we should openly be able Mod their Mod's of BG.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#9 ronin

ronin
  • Modder
  • 2114 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 03:10 AM

I agree with Chev, but, only if you doing bugfixes and not content changes. Any content changes should have the original author's approval (if you can get it). With bug fixes we shouldn't be so hard with.

#10 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 03:29 AM

I don't understand then: you would clearly disregard the author's wishes("Please, do not modify my mod without my consent"), but you would bother to ask the author and to wait for some time? Doesn't make much sense to me.

If you are active in the modding community and keep up with things then we should respect their wishes, but once they leave then we should openly be able Mod their Mod's of BG.

Reminds me of good old kindergarden days:
"C'mon, let's do it!"
"No, the governess might see!"
"Okay, let's wait until she's out of sight and wouldn't know, and *then* let's do it!"
"Yeah!"

#11 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 04:02 AM

Kulyok,

You are right, that is what I am saying. Just like you did with BG1 NPC Project ( a great mod I play all the time). You didn't just add bug fixes or add all new NPCs, but used others NPCs as the base for your mod. What right do you or any modder have to say someone should not change a mod. Because of changes you should say what and how you changed the mod.

Modders can do what ever they want, but what they should do is work together. When a modder is no longer active and doesn't look like they are comming back, then we can't work with them. You might not like my way of thinking, but it is how I look at modding. What we (the community) should come to is an understanding about mods after the author has left the community.

I think any change in content, not bug fixes and compatibility changes, should be done as a optional componate. Like what some are talking about doing for DTotSC - BGT to rebalance items.

Edited by Chevalier, 18 February 2007 - 04:04 AM.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#12 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 04:28 AM

Modders can do what ever they want, but what they should do is work together. When a modder is no longer active and doesn't look like they are comming back, then we can't work with them. You might not like my way of thinking, but it is how I look at modding. What we (the community) should come to is an understanding about mods after the author has left the community.

yep, i agree. when someone makes it clear - either in the readme, in the their forum posting or via pm - that they don't want their mod modded, then it's off-limits, as far as i'm concerned: the recent case with aVENGER's Rogue Rebalancing Pack is a good example.

however, if such clarity hasn't been forthcoming, and the mod is abandonware, then it's effectively community property, and can be modded/re-released/whatever: the new version of the Planar Sphere is a good example of this position.

the debatable question (other than the philosophical question about not modding a mod, given that the original mod already alters someone else's IP without their express permission and usually, as ronin points out, in express contravention of the EULA) is 'when is abandonware abandonware?'

and the answer to that question can only be made on a ad-hoc basis: if someone tried to say 'Horred hasn't posted in a month, so i'm releasing 'The Big Picture Remixed', they might find some pushback from me; Vlad is continuing to release Baldurdash-weidu even tho KD didnt want him to - altho KD did give grudging permission; hlid resurrected, weidu'd and bug-fixed a whole range of mods, without anyone ever complaining. i dont know of any hard-n-fast rules - commonsense helps, but that's about all.

in this case, i agree with Azazello - MTS is talking about mods that haven't been touched in a long time, so i tihnk one month (with the caveat that the mod gets pulled/ work on it stops if the author turns up, a la aVENGER, and requests it stop) is more than sufficient. modding shares a lot of features with open source development, and one of those features is that yr never the sole authour of yr mod.

Edited by seanas, 18 February 2007 - 04:30 AM.

"A simple test of the relative merits of science and religion is to compare lighting your house at night by prayer or electricity" - A. C. Grayling
"EFF files have saves, too." - CamDawg
|| this is radio seanas || BP Series v3 || seanas at work ||

#13 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 04:52 AM

Oh great, another round in the old "You can edit all Bioware stuff all you want, but woe be on you if you dare touch my mod" bullshit.

As for me, if I were to disappear all my stuff is to be covered by the GPL license. The upcoming new versions of my stuff will make this clear in the readme (and, if I were to forget updating the readme, you can link to this post as proof).

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#14 SimDing0

SimDing0

GROUP ICON

• 1654 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 05:17 AM

If I disappear for four weeks will someone fix all the bugs in Quest Pack?
Repeating cycle of pubes / no pubes.

A Comprehensive Listing of IE Mods

#15 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 05:27 AM

I think even in the case of Clearly Absentee/no-longer-Active Modders, all modifications should be distributed separately with Clear Disclaimers that the produced Mod is Modified with Credits given to the Original Authors and a Clear List of Changes.

kiyos.jpg____btlbn2.gif____kovaS.jpg
Love between a Law Enforcer and a Fugitive - can such a thing even happen?
SoA Release - Overview / Download Links

Zyraen's Miscellaneous Mods - Ust Natha Accelerator, item tweaks, XP caps, The Ub3r Reaver Kit, and much more...
Spellhold Gauntlet - more than just a Spellhold-Be-Gone
Hidden Kits - hidden dual-classed kits with a twist for progression

#16 CamDawg

CamDawg

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

• Modder
  • 1505 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 05:30 AM

If the mod has "This mod may not be sold, published, compiled or redistributed in any form without the consent of its author," the answer is an explicit no, even after six or sixty years. :)

Take this with a grain of salt, though. All of my mods have draconian statements like this in their readmes but I've included it only so that some other site can not host them in a paid-for-only download service--basically, I don't want anyone (including me) making money off of my mods. I have absolutely no problem with folks grabbing code from my mods, changing them for their own use, or taking them over after I leave. :)

Why is this Hypnotoad video so popu... ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD.
____
The Gibberlings Three - Home of IE Mods

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

#17 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 10:18 AM

I'm with what appears to be the majority on this one. I find it rather hypocritical for a mod author to throw a "kinippshit" (as Azazello calls it) at someone modifying their work after they're no longer in the community and/or (perhaps in the case above) the author does not know how to implement something.

I had this happen recently where I merely fixed the dimensions of a portrait that was off by a few pixels, where the portrait was clearly modded from a BG original (or in any case, concerns a BG character). And the mod wasn't even changed - I just put the details of the change out there and waited several months for a author's response, which wasn't positive when it eventually came. I'm not going to name names or anything (I don't really care), but this sort of response is inappropriate when someone merely offers to fix something you're no longer maintaining. Particularly when the modder does not offer an alternate fix (or a fix of any sort) after such a response.

Really though, does any modder go asking the original developers are before modding their work or 'fixing' their games? Perhaps we might if we thought we could reliably get a response from them, but to my knowledge no one's ever done it. Maybe I'm wrong, but for the majority of mods, I don't think that kind of permission is ever sought or obtained.

@MTS - in this case I would send another e-mail, maybe wait a little longer, then code away if you don't get a response.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#18 cmorgan

cmorgan
  • Modder
  • 2301 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 12:02 PM

If it is for private consumption I would forget the wait period and do the changes anyways, while waiting for permission. That way, if none is forthcoming, you have the fun and the modder needs to get fixing... or you even can be partner to the original modders process. You can always cross the bridge of "I'm ok, your'e ok" when you have something ready to go.

I would lean on the side of keeping original author intent, but then that's because I started this thing with just that it mind, as a facilitator/worker bee, not as an idea/concept person.

I personally feel that if you have left a hobby project untouched for over the 1 year mark, the contact by another modder is a courtesy not a request.

Look, this engine isn't likely gonna have a compatible hardware/software platform forever; we are all under a deadline of sorts. It seems like a waste to promote your great idea to an audience, code it, send it out to go kick some butt, and then just expect time to stand still. If it was being sold, then yes - big problems (including the fact that the original creators *should* go after you for modding without express legal permission and royalties paid in the first place). Since it is for fun, if the modder is still active in the community then permission should be sought because we all want to respect hard work and activity. If a modder's life has moved beyond the original mod, I would think it would be an honor to have someone care enough to update your work and keep it in the mainstream.

#19 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 02:59 PM

If you are active in the modding community and keep up with things then we should respect their wishes, but once they leave then we should openly be able Mod their Mod's of BG.

I don't know. I wouldn't want to be out of computer contact for a while, return, and find out that somebody interpreted my absence as abandonment and went ahead and released Gavin, the barbarian/cleric of Beregost, now "bugfixed" to allow romances with evil necromancer PCs (for Tutu). I think I might have an anneurism over that one, even if a year had passed.

However, I think that if somebody went ahead and released the mod with the original dialogue, friendship conditions and dialogue, and romance conditions and dialogue, but revamped and greatly improved the quest portion *only*, they might have my blessing. Somebody might come along, download it, and think I had a clue.

I guess it's because it's harder to be objective about an NPC.

How long an absence constitutes abandonment? A month? A year? No idea. If I were to die, I would not expect anybody to try to find my next of kin over it.

Edit: Because positions on this vary so widely, from Kulyok's "not in your lifetime" to Sim DingO's "would you, please, if I promise not to look?", that underlines the need to rethink the documentation. Maybe we need a living will for mods?

Edited by BGhead, 18 February 2007 - 03:06 PM.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#20 SimDing0

SimDing0

GROUP ICON

• 1654 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 03:47 PM

Sim DingO's "would you, please, if I promise not to look?"

Well, I was joking really. It isn't quite this simple. While I don't have a complex about people changing my work particularly, and I'd not fuss about content changes to a hypothetical abandoned mod of mine, there's a caveat in the danger of someone utterly incompetent coming along and shitting all over it, which is what would stop me saying "okay guys, do what you want!" I'd want someone I knew to be reasonably capable taking over, and if I suddenly died I think PPG & Co. would do a reasonable job of selecting someone inoffensive to assume total creative control.
Repeating cycle of pubes / no pubes.

A Comprehensive Listing of IE Mods