Just some slight disappointment...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 --Kerezteny--

--Kerezteny--

Posted 01 March 2007 - 04:36 PM

I wasn't sure if this had been asked before on the old forum, but it's bugged me for awhile. I don't mean to criticise, but, Fade was really all too good of a person to really be a convincing Fey'ri. The most I saw of her being "evil" was really just suggesting sexual favors on a few people including the PC, and her whole "OMG shinnnyyy things" in the temple of Lathander, and even when you support the notion of her stealing from the temple, she does not.

I can understand say, a drow acting this way--it's culture, and can be changed with adaptation. But a Fey'ri would have some serious mental breakdowns in the process of trying to be a good character--they wouldn't mearly shrug off a normally bad idea and never think of it again--because it's in their blood, and having something in your blood rarely gets changed, no matter how rough of a life they've had.

Fade is a bit too compassionate and cutesy; she acts like a teenage girl most of the time. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE her personality, but it's not right for HER. Her demonic blood should be showing up a bit more. Maybe there's something about that in the TOB portion of the mod coming up?

But past that, the mod is very nicely done, and I love the way Fade puts words for some reason...Also, Oxford spellings make my heart melt. Can't wait for the TOB release!

--Kristi

#2 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 05:21 PM

<random_input>

Even races listed as "always (alignment X)" in the books have a small percentage of non-(alignment X) individuals. This includes tieflings of all kinds, as well as aasimar - their typically good-aligned celestial counterparts - and even the otherplanar beings from which such characters are descended. As always, the GM - or in this case, the modder - decides what goes. In this case, she's certainly not out of place with a CN tiefling already in the game, as well as <charname> the direct offspring of an evil god who can subscribe to any alignment he bloody well feels like, and Imoen, the same and very much good-aligned.

From what I remember of the early version I played way back, I may have been of the opinion that Fade's behaviour is generally closer to CG than CN. This, however, does not make her a less convincing character.

PS: "suggesting sexual favours" is not "evil". Kthx.

</random_input>

#3 --Kerezteny--

--Kerezteny--

Posted 01 March 2007 - 05:56 PM

Eh, well first...

PS: "suggesting sexual favours" is not "evil". Kthx.

That's why I put it in quotes, and didn't directly call it evil as it is. Because it's not evil, proving my point, yes? (Although I do find it immoral, which I figure she was going for.)

But anywho. Sure, a DM can say that things normally evil are suddenly good, but it's kind of rediculous. Your first argument was a lot more logical, and I can agree with that to some extent. But if you're going to show random outbursts of demonic heritage showing up in some ways (I.E. in Ust Natha) then she's obviously not completely good yet, and maybe it should be expanded upon.

#4 vilkacis

vilkacis

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 07:45 PM

But anywho. Sure, a DM can say that things normally evil are suddenly good, but it's kind of rediculous.

I suppose it's a question of how you view the definition "normally evil". I see it as a decision of whether "always evil" or "usually evil" in each specific case means "the non-evil version is too rare to show up in my campaign" or not, since there is always a small chance (in case of "always X alignment"-listed creatures, it's <1% IIRC) that such a being has another alignment. I hardly think it's ridiculous to believe that sentient beings are capable of deciding for themselves how they are going to lead their lives, even if certain races are genetically inclined to specific outlooks (most planetouched) or simply live in societies where a non-standard alignment is likely to get them killed (drow).

if you're going to show random outbursts of demonic heritage showing up in some ways (I.E. in Ust Natha) then she's obviously not completely good yet, and maybe it should be expanded upon.

It could, yes; and it probably should, had Fade actually been meant to be a convincing repersentation of the average fey'ri. But quite obviously, that is not the case. And since there are planetouched who are completely in touch with their non-human side as well as ones who reject that side completely, I do not feel that one who ends up somewhere in between - if somewhat closer to the latter than the former - would be less believable than one who falls closer to one of the extremes. She's an unusual creature, certainly, but it would be rather dull if all planetouched were exactly the same.

#5 --Kerezteny--

--Kerezteny--

Posted 03 March 2007 - 09:15 AM

It could, yes; and it probably should, had Fade actually been meant to be a convincing repersentation of the average fey'ri. But quite obviously, that is not the case. And since there are planetouched who are completely in touch with their non-human side as well as ones who reject that side completely, I do not feel that one who ends up somewhere in between - if somewhat closer to the latter than the former - would be less believable than one who falls closer to one of the extremes. She's an unusual creature, certainly, but it would be rather dull if all planetouched were exactly the same.

Yae, you're right, she is an unusual creature in form, but to me she was like a human with fey'ri features. Mistress E wanted her like that (I assume; I can't really tell...) and it's her choice and all, of course. Just, when I see the word Fey'ri I can't help but assume she's going to be relatively evil. You're right though, it may not be that normal in D&D terms, but in the modding community it's to be expected that the character has not the normal behaviour or alignment of their race.

#6 vilkacis

vilkacis

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 04:10 PM

when I see the word Fey'ri I can't help but assume she's going to be relatively evil.

This is a stereotype that's going to make things hard on any non-evil fey'ri, as most NPCs who know what they are will assume the same thing. Still, there's a fair amount of non-evil tieflings around - their alignment is listed as "any neutral or evil" in 2E. (Of course, the fey'ri subrace is a 3E invention. I don't have access to any stats for them, but 3E lists regular tieflings as "usually" evil which means "more than 50%" - still nowhere near all of them.)

You're right though, it may not be that normal in D&D terms, but in the modding community it's to be expected that the character has not the normal behaviour or alignment of their race.

It is quite normal in D&D terms - PCs often differ greatly from the "monstrous manual" entry for their race. An interesting character concept is typically more important than alignment, race or class restrictions.

#7 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 06:50 PM

Personally I think Kerez raises an interesting point that is rarely respected by most of the modding community. I'm not here to say that every race should be cookie cutter replicants of the stereotypes, but most character mods have such strong deviations, especially for esoteric races and even some classes, that they are downright misleading. Personally I'm also kinda tired of seeing good drow left right centre, and various other odds and ends around, like civilised cultured barbarians and some others.

Edited by Zyraen, 03 March 2007 - 06:54 PM.

kiyos.jpg____btlbn2.gif____kovaS.jpg
Love between a Law Enforcer and a Fugitive - can such a thing even happen?
SoA Release - Overview / Download Links

Zyraen's Miscellaneous Mods - Ust Natha Accelerator, item tweaks, XP caps, The Ub3r Reaver Kit, and much more...
Spellhold Gauntlet - more than just a Spellhold-Be-Gone
Hidden Kits - hidden dual-classed kits with a twist for progression