• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#21 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 05:25 AM

Here we go, two portraits I recently made. I used Eliza Dushku's photo as a ref for the elven girl

Eliza Dushku... yum :woot:. They all look very good. In particular, I'd like to see the first two with darker shadows and edge shading.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#22 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 09:33 AM

BGhead - That's odd! My guess is that your monitor is quite dark, since I've asked many others and they have said that they can make out the man pretty well from the picture.

Miloch - Thanks! I could try tweaking the contrast etc on the first two portraits and see if they are more to your liking then. :)

Meanwhile, here's a new one!

Attached Images

• bigfellaL.jpg

Ilmatar's portraits for the Baldur's Gate series ¤ | ¤ | ¤ Ahem. Ilmatar =/= Ilmater. ¤ | ¤ | ¤ deviantART gallery
Grunting is a perfectly acceptable reaction to being struck with a blunt instrument. -berelinde
And, just out of curiosity, my dear, what *are* you wearing? :D - Tempest to me.

#23 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 01:50 AM

Here's a druid or a witch or something!

Attached Images

• druidL.jpg

Ilmatar's portraits for the Baldur's Gate series ¤ | ¤ | ¤ Ahem. Ilmatar =/= Ilmater. ¤ | ¤ | ¤ deviantART gallery
Grunting is a perfectly acceptable reaction to being struck with a blunt instrument. -berelinde
And, just out of curiosity, my dear, what *are* you wearing? :D - Tempest to me.

#24 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 04:37 AM

I first read, He's a druid or a witch or something!

I'm like. :blink: :unsure: :huh: And also very feminine.

But good portrait.
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#25 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 12:09 PM

That is nice... might even work for a dryad. Though again, I tend to like the contrast quite a bit darker, like in your own portrait :).

The guy with the scar looks oddly familiar but I can't quite put my finger on it. Did you use an actor for a reference or something?

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#26 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 12:23 PM

The guy with the scar looks oddly familiar but I can't quite put my finger on it. Did you use an actor for a reference or something?

Belive it or not, James Gandolfini (aka Tony Soprano). :D

#27 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 12:25 PM

Heh heh. Yeah, I see it now, though he's usually not smiling like that :D.

#28 Discord

Discord
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:24 AM

Ilmatar, I must admit I am a HUGE fan of your work. :wub:

I especially like the newest one, the druid-ish girl. Beautiful!

#29 Riviera

Riviera

Silmeria, the elven bard

• 355 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 10:56 AM

Me too! I especially love how you do hair. :wub:

I do not love you as if you were salt-rose, or topaz,
or the arrow of carnations the fire shoots off.
I love you as certain dark things are to be loved,
in secret, between the shadow and the soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#30 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 12:09 PM

Theehee! You girls are too sweet! :hug: Thanks!

#31 Bane

Bane

Grand Master Noober

• 1472 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 06:10 AM

Awesome pics

My only advice is that if you don't make more, then I'll have to punish you ;).

:Bow:
Power for the Keep, Power for the Zhentarim!

Defy me and die!

Posted Image

#32 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 12:11 PM

In order to avoid Bane's fiersome punishment - here's a random sorceress.

Attached Images

• sorceress.jpg

#33 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 12:15 PM

*How* does she *do* that? :wub:
DO ~SetGlobal("omgBbqRomanceActive","GLOBAL", 2)~

Gibberlings Three - IE Modding Community

#34 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

TFP : D

• 2925 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 12:17 PM

Awesome!
I love the colors and the shading and and and...
You know, I think you often use quite... du... err, no, lowly-saturated, grayish, colours.
But this pic breaks the "rule", strong colors, strong and sharp shadows and lights and...

Everything seems to work technically, and it's pretty to boot! :wub:

#35 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 01:25 PM

I really really like that last one.

Can I threaten punishment? Mayhaps we can get some little folk in here...
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#36 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 02:28 PM

Very nice. And yes, I like the contrast much better too (I guess I just prefer darker). And I also think you should disclose your technique so I can attempt to steal it :whistling:.

#37 whatbrick

whatbrick
  • 63 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 12:37 PM

Good stuff, though aside from the sorceress pic most could use more contrast. I've heard the words "more contrast" so many times I could scream but it does help. In your case, the contrast isn't with the extremes between light and dark, it's mostly with the shadows. They don't seem to be deep enough, like where the hair is overlapping the face/neck and clothes.

Besides that, I like the facial expressions on all of them, they bring out a lot of character. Nicely done.
NWN2 Heads and Hairstyles, or How I Became a Virtual Beautician : Whatbrick's NWN2 Character Customization Collection
Bring out the Angel or Demon in you...or at least their wings: Neverwinter Nights 2 - Wings Galore Pak v1.0

#38 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 12:39 PM

In your case, the contrast isn't with the extremes between light and dark, it's mostly with the shadows. They don't seem to be deep enough, like where the hair is overlapping the face/neck and clothes.

Now THAT was the clarification I needed! Thank you so much for the tip! :)

#39 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 02:27 PM

In your case, the contrast isn't with the extremes between light and dark, it's mostly with the shadows. They don't seem to be deep enough, like where the hair is overlapping the face/neck and clothes.

Yes. Now that I look at them closely, that is generally true. In the case of the "Gandolfini" portrait at the top of this page, the darkest bits in the picture are almost black, so nothing wrong there. But the right side of his face (his right, away from the scar) and his neck could be quite a bit darker.

The dryad or druid on the other hand is quite light overall. But you might expect that, given the bright setting. As whatbrick said though, the right side of her neck (her right again) under her hair should be quite dark. As could her temples where her hair overlaps a bit and even her left side between her face/neck and hair. You do this quite well in your own portrait and the sorceress.

Going back to your first two portraits, the armour and clothing seem to be fine. But the faces could use some darker shadows around the cheekbones, the neck and where the hair and faces overlap. The "Edwina" portraits are just fine in this respect (is it just me or does she look a bit like Carrie Fisher a la "Princess Leia?" :D).

Not trying to be over-critical, but when the portraits are this good, it's easy to nitpick on one thing that would make them even better ;).

#40 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 02:41 PM

Miloch, you're absolutely right. Though I don't know about the Princess Leia thing.. :D Thanks for the critizism, I really need it and want it. I really have to be braver with the shadowing in the future.