BTL - ToB Plan & Progress

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#21 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 11:34 PM

Eh no I've not finished the ToB portion of BTL ^^;; I just managed to get ToB working on my laptop so I can develop BTL ToB content.

Meantime I would suggest its ok to go ahead and play the SoA, it shouldn't pose much problems and from what I hear (complaints ^^;;;) is that BTL SoA is not an easy piece either.

kiyos.jpg____btlbn2.gif____kovaS.jpg
Love between a Law Enforcer and a Fugitive - can such a thing even happen?
SoA Release - Overview / Download Links

Zyraen's Miscellaneous Mods - Ust Natha Accelerator, item tweaks, XP caps, The Ub3r Reaver Kit, and much more...
Spellhold Gauntlet - more than just a Spellhold-Be-Gone
Hidden Kits - hidden dual-classed kits with a twist for progression

#22 -Qwinn-

-Qwinn-

Posted 22 January 2008 - 11:00 PM

Oh, I didn't think you'd completed it yet :) I'm just the sort that has issues with installing stuff without serious TOB content, it feels too unfinished for me (although from what I'm reading you do have -enough- TOB content that I'll do it if I run out of other stuff I want to do - see below).

But anyway, my point in saying I'd wait for TOB content is that I plan on running a couple more times through, and since I only use one NPC mod at a time, I'll finish my current playthrough, then do my Tashia run, then see if there's anything new for BTL by then :) Don't worry, heh, 1.5 playthroughs for me should give you at least a few months ;)

Qwinn

#23 --Ymarsakar--

--Ymarsakar--

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:14 PM

Meantime I would suggest its ok to go ahead and play the SoA, it shouldn't pose much problems and from what I hear (complaints ^^;;;) is that BTL SoA is not an easy piece either.

Just so you know, Zyraen, I'm still planning on playing BTL TOB when it is released. I'm looking forward to the interesting tactical battles created through scripts, which I believe is far superior to the other tactical content mods that change existing creatures in the game. The BTL hunters were not particularly powerful, but what gave them a mighty advantage was that they could take me by surprise, when I'm unbuffed, and in weird parts of the map where I had to fight where I was not where I wanted to be. Very realistic tactical environments.

#24 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 01:52 AM

Thanks Ymarsakar ^^;; unfortunately the main fights won't be very randomised, though I can still include random pursuits as a component if you so desire. That being said, they'll probably pop up at a time that is well... really not a good time :devil:

Zyraen's Miscellaneous Mods - Ust Natha Accelerator, item tweaks, XP caps, The Ub3r Reaver Kit, and much more...

#25 Tassadar88

Tassadar88

Templar in Flames

• 1302 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 02:13 AM

Thanks Ymarsakar ^^;; unfortunately the main fights won't be very randomised, though I can still include random pursuits as a component if you so desire. That being said, they'll probably pop up at a time that is well... really not a good time :devil:

I canīt wait :)
I played BTL in some of my larger installs, but I never got to the end of it - once I ran into bugs caused by other mods, and other times, I mostly stopped playing and when I got round to starting again, I started from the scratch...
But I am still looking forward to going all the BGT way with BTL as one of the main mods in it.

On a different note - how are your other projects going? Apart from BTL, I am chiefly interested in the Elvanīs Intrigue and the Hidden Kits :)
The Mind is its own place and in itself - can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven. -John Milton, Paradise lost

#26 Ymarsakar

Ymarsakar
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 05:37 PM

You might be able to come up with a Pocket Plane gauntlet, which spawns enemies in those small rooms.

I found the backstabbing thieves to be the most dangerous elements in any modded fight, given that their first strike is always a backstab, instead of the player where we need to get behind a character.

In most fights, the player's party can overpower or outlast the enemy because of how clever the human player usually is. When it comes to backstabbing, outlasting the enemy or outpowering an enemy backstab is just not in the cards. You either need instant true sight via Inquisitor or you need to run away very fast.

#27 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 11:27 PM

Stoneskinning and other Protective Options are actually available :) but nvm, that's just a sidenote.

#28 Ymarsakar

Ymarsakar
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 06:52 AM

I usually encountered them while moving around the map outside Athkatla, where the travel time is more than 8 hours.

#29 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 08:19 PM

I've started work on rewriting the Banters, while taking some time away from the frustrating non-invisibling (and hence, extremely squishy) Thieves of Silmarillion, lol.

Edited by Zyraen, 27 April 2008 - 08:23 PM.

#30 Lava Del'Vortel

Lava Del'Vortel

Fiction Enforcer

• Modder
  • 2298 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 03:36 PM

I am wondering... Are you going to give players the beta version of ToB part? I am going to install BTL soon, but if the publication of new version is in plan for this week... is it? Maybe just create a version from the materials which are already created. It is better than nothing... and for sure it is much more than other mods can offer ;)

#31 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 05:59 PM

Unlikely :( I will first need to redo most of BTL SoA first, since there is quite a bit of rewriting and reordering of the Banters going on.

#32 Lava Del'Vortel

Lava Del'Vortel

Fiction Enforcer

• Modder
  • 2298 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 11:07 PM

I understand... I hope everything will be ok. So I will play old version for a moment. I also wanted to say that your mod is very interesting and have something diffrent from other mods... and that's great! ;)

#33 Zeevico

Zeevico
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 12:43 AM

Your mod (what I have played of it) is interesting so far. What I like is this:
- Kova is a competent mage/thief, and he's not Jan Jansen either. The fact that I am forced to lug him along past Spellhold is good, because otherwise I would never have a reason to do that (I would simply swap Jan for Imoen and be done with it). This way I will at least see what thieves can do late-game [twiddle their thumbs, I suppose ;)].
- Kiyone is a competent archer.
- Both have interesting personalities.
However, I do have one gripe. While it's a bit late to revise their dialogue, I admit that I find it unnecessarily long at times. There are also a few typos and grammatical errors. These can absolutely *kill* the immersion effect, no matter how good your writing might otherwise be. I suggest you ask someone to edit your work for these errors and/or point out where your sentences might need some work.

I would love to see Kiyone and Kova's little side-role in Baldur's Gate II continue into TOB. I must admit that so far they have injected some freshness into the game.
Thank you.

Edited by Zeevico, 22 July 2008 - 12:51 AM.

#34 Chulainn

Chulainn
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 10:08 PM

Just wanted to add my encouragement to the rest :D So far I've played BTL through the first half of Chapter 6 and I'm loving the mod. I look forward to the ToB content (as much as your willing and able to do) although I'd settle for just the banters throughout (right now I have Minsc and Viconia in the party with K&K), lots of fun ;)

#35 -Synt-

-Synt-

Posted 21 July 2009 - 01:34 PM

Um.... hallo? *waves shyly*
Just wanted to say that I recently finished playing SoA with BtL, (and few other mods - let me introduce my boyfriend Nathaniel - ain't he a cutie? :) ) and enjoyed it very much.
I have heaps of compliments and two complaints.
Will start with the two:

warning!
Spoilers!

1 - I think you went overboard with Edwin. He wiped my party within seconds. After several dozens of reloads, I simply run for my life and out of his sight, dealt with Seida who followed me, and pretended that Edwin teleported away when his boss was down (even though I knew he didn't - I could see him when the 'Guards! Guards!' came in to see if I'm still alive).
2 - I had ToB installed, and got transferred to the talking faces right after waking in Suldanasselar, so unfortunately I missed the wedding... but after talking to the heads I saw a flashback of Kiyone waking up and worrying about HIM. Then I had to cluaconsole her to the location where the rest of the party was. No flashback to a wedding... a pity :crying: :( . Is there a way to see the event except uninstalling ToB?

Now, what I liked in the mod? Well... pretty much everything else :) .
-The first thing that springs to mind are portraits. They are very pretty, and what's more important, they look like they belong in BG. In many mods portraits are done in completely different style from the original NPCs', and I had to use ShadowKeeper to change them to something more fitting for my subconsciousness to accept the new guys as part of the BG universe. Not so in BtL! :)
- I enjoyed the constant ambushes - they were pain in the neck (or back) and tiresome... exactly as they should be. And the loot was well worth it. At some point I had over 100 invisibility potions :D. I used a better part of them later. Having your entire team disappear at the drop of a hat can really confuse the opponents! :D
- Cooking banters were great.
- So were the fishing banters.
- For some reason I absolutely loved the witness protection program. I reloaded that fight several times just so I could protect more and more guys from Myroven's team.
- Kiyone's archery kicks ass. messages like "Kiyone did 28 damage to the villain " were a norm in later chapters.
- I didn't try to betray Kova at any point (not even out of curiosity) but it is great to know that I COULD.

Now, I have a savegame made in Hell just before the last fight with Irenicus, and another, made in the 'talking faces' location. They are stored safely in separate folder, waiting for ToB BtL to come out. Are they going to wait long?

#36 Lava Del'Vortel

Lava Del'Vortel

Fiction Enforcer

• Modder
  • 2298 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:01 PM

Zyraen, any news about ToB part?

#37 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 05:44 AM

Actually, I've been pretty caught up in Silmarillion. I almost completely forgot about BTL :)
Yeah I think I will do a simplified ToB for BTL then (ie no Kharen, no Seida, no visit to the Sentinels, etc)
It shouldn't be too much work... IF I can find the half-written banters that I have done up.

@Synt - Sorry I totally missed your post.. sigh.
1 - it takes a bit of planning and luck, but it is actually possible to kill Edwin. Just very difficult. One of the cheesy methods I found that worked reasonably was - move party away from him, have a mage with some light magical protections stand in his sight and summon creatures around him. Most of the time he will target the summoned creatures, and the rest of the time if he does target your mage its usually with some magic protection stripping spell rather than something lethal. This only applies if your mage has a reasonable number of hitpoints - less than 60 will invite a PW:Kill. Kova comes to mind here as a good bait. But he's good bait for almost everything in the finale.
In any case, you can kill Edwin before the fight starts (in the Copper Coronet inn) anytime of the game, except near that part of BtL. Ideally before the witness quest I think. So... be my guest :)
2 - at a certain point in time before you kill Irenicus, Kova should have proposed to Kiyone. IF you have seen this before, you *should* be teleported to the wedding after killing Irenicus. However many people have mentioned missing this, I'm not sure why, I need to fix it.
In any case, after Kova has proposed, you can load a game before fighting Irenicus and use CLUAConsole:MoveToArea("AR2812") on the entire party. That should get it to work.
If Kova doesn't propose, check your KKRomance variable. If it is 1, set it to 2.
Meantime, feel free to add me to your msn - zyraen@hotmail.com :)

Edited by Zyraen, 12 August 2009 - 05:54 AM.

#38 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:24 AM

Finishing up a re-release of BTL, to lay groundwork for ToB writing. Here's what to expect

Done
- bug fix, no more CTD on porting to Finale by adding Ambients
- bug fix, no more skipping of the Wedding Scene after the big event
- Rewrite, core Banters between Kova & Kiyone
- Rewrite, some bits of the introductory dialogues by Kova & Kiyone
- Rewrite, reorganisation of the banter progression between Kova & Kiyone, shorten the time required for KKRomance to be set to 2.
- Rewrite, randomisation also so each replay with them in the party may have greater difference in banter between the Kova & Kiyone

Not yet Done
- bug fix, testing and implementation to ensure Wedding Scenes all run and transit smoothly
- Rewrite, reduction of interjections, especially by Kiyone
- Tra-ification

#39 Lava Del'Vortel

Lava Del'Vortel

Fiction Enforcer

• Modder
  • 2298 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 12:51 PM

It's great that you decided to finish the BTL ToB :)

#40 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 02:14 PM

Likewise - I generally won't play an NPC mod unless it has a ToB section, so looking forward to see what you do with this.