Fanart Challenge FAQ

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 08:38 AM

This FAQ is here to answer all your burning questions about the Fanart Challenge, and if any more questions come to mind, post them here or contact me otherwise. :)

If I missed something, feel free to ask!

Posted Image

Weekly Fanart Challenge? Who challenges whom to do what?
I challenge thee, all Spellholdians, to draw FANART!

Say what?
Okay. First of all, the challenge is not a contest. There are no winners and no losers, and no prizes, but the objective is to get as many people to draw as possible. Just a ten minute sketch will do, or you can spend a week on the most magnificent painting the fanart scene has ever seen ? what ever suits you.

The challenge changes bi-weekly, every other Friday (starting from the seventh challenge). A new topic will be opened here on LoR and a new subject will be stated. The subject could be for example Imoen. That means you have one week to make an illustration or five of Imoen, and post them to Imoen?s Challenge topic. Two weeks after that, on Friday again, a new topic will be opened and a new subject will be given ? for example Lilacor ? and then you once again have one week to draw illustrations of that subject.

Participating is very easy, since the limitations of the quality or media of the art are next to nonexistent, and thanks to our dear forum?s attachments, you don?t even need Photobucket or anything like that to post.

Do I HAVE TO participate?
Of course not. This is for FUN, and it wouldn?t be fun if you HAD TO do it. I hope as many as possible would take just ten minutes to doodle something with pencil or MS Paint if nothing else. As I said, it?s not a contest. If you draw for one challenge, you don?t have to draw for the following one. Participate when the subject is appealing to you, or you can take it as your personal aim to participate in every single challenge. That would seriously rock, btw.

What do I get if I participate?
Nothing! Ha! :D No, you get the warm feeling of achieving something, of being active and you get praise and admiration from others. As I said, this isn?t a contest, and you really don?t have to take this dead seriously. It?s just fun! Of course one motivator could be to get to the top of the statistics list!

Can I submit more than one piece per challenge?
Yes! I know I don't have to even say it since you are all sensible people, but.. I will anyway. :D Everything within reason! I'd rather see you make one quality piece that you have spent some time on, rather than four quick doodles.

Who will decide the weekly subject?
I will, but I am more than open to suggestions. In general this is a Baldur?s Gate series fanart challenge, since Baldur?s Gate is the dominant game on SHS. If you have some kick ass idea for the subject, check this topic out and share your idea!

What if I want to draw for the challenge, but don?t make it before the subject changes?
Don't worry! You can still post it in the challenge topic even after the deadline has gone, but notice that the entries that come after the closing post will not be counted in the statistics. We would still love to see what you have drawn. :)

What kinds of media are OK to use?
Anything. Seriously. Just like it says in the LoR Rules OK! ?topic, we take any kinds of pieces. You are free to use all kinds of traditional techniques, meaning everything from pencil sketching to paintings to sculpting to collages etc, or you can do it digitally drawing, painting, photo manipulating, whatever. But post only your own artwork! It would be cool if you?d make a new piece for the challenge, but if you?re short on time and you have an older drawing that fits the subject, you can by all means post that one, too.

What will happen to the challenge pieces?
They'll sit tight in the challenges, but to make browsing easier, I have made a Statistics post with links to all of the challenges, with interesting numbers of participants and entries.

The aim is that we have a lot of different views on the same subject, and it should be fun and interesting. This challenge is meant for fun and to increase activity, so please participate!

Edited by Ilmatar, 23 August 2007 - 01:37 AM.

Ilmatar's portraits for the Baldur's Gate series ¤ | ¤ | ¤ Ahem. Ilmatar =/= Ilmater. ¤ | ¤ | ¤ deviantART gallery
Grunting is a perfectly acceptable reaction to being struck with a blunt instrument. -berelinde
And, just out of curiosity, my dear, what *are* you wearing? :D - Tempest to me.

#2 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 02:03 AM

Updated the FAQ to suit the New and Improved System, starting from the 7th Challenge.

Ilmatar's portraits for the Baldur's Gate series ¤ | ¤ | ¤ Ahem. Ilmatar =/= Ilmater. ¤ | ¤ | ¤ deviantART gallery
Grunting is a perfectly acceptable reaction to being struck with a blunt instrument. -berelinde
And, just out of curiosity, my dear, what *are* you wearing? :D - Tempest to me.