23 replies to this topic

#1 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 03:34 AM

ANNOUNCEMENT

UPDATED to Beta v0.7
Spellhold Gauntlet Beta is completed. Here is the Readme.

============

Spellhold Gauntlet
Beta v0.7

1. Introduction

An extra apparition shows up in the area where you have a chance to pick up Imoen. It offers a simple alternative to the complicated puzzles and tests and levels that the Spellhold Maze offers - the Spellhold Gauntlet.

The Spellhold Gauntlet is a series of trials meant to test your limits, both your mettle and your resource management. If you survive you probably have considerable focus of both mind and body. In this chamber you shall be in the centre of the room and be continuously set upon by waves of enemies, and you will receive tokens in return for defeating each wave.

These tokens can be used in exchange for
- opportunity to rest between waves
- random items of varying power; if you wish to select unique items you will need to spend more tokens
- your freedom to leave the Gauntlet and move on directly to Judgment
- immediately leave the Gauntlet and move on to the riddles portion of the Spellhold Tests

This mod aims to fulfill a few aims
- provide a simple, accelerated route through Spellhold for players replaying it for the umpteenth time
- provide items that most players feel are too good to miss in Spellhold
- providing combative challenges to those who choose the harder waves
- providing XP comparable to the original route, or even more, depending on the difficulty of the waves
- providing an almost limitless stream of potential magic items (non-unique) for those who have the mettle to battle on in the Gauntlet

Note that the longer you remain in the Gauntlet the more dangerous it will become, but the greater the rewards you have a chance of gleaning. Remember, plan your moves wisely and use your token resources well.

You have been warned.

EXTRA COMPONENT - Irenicus Waiting in Spellhold

If you chose to come in by being incarcerated in Spellhold, the Coordinator will be waiting at the end of one of the halls for you, rather than you having to wait for him to arrive.

EXTRA COMPONENT - Shortened Spellhold Cutscenes and Dream

Irenicus' casts his spell on Imoen and yourself much faster, killing all the thieves at once. In the dream, Bhaal is found inside of candlekeep, and you are teleported directly to in front of the demon guarding the passageway in, saving time.

2. Gameplay Notes

In order to enter the Gauntlet, when Bodhi leaves the party while in the Spellhold maze, an apparition is spawned inside of the maze not far from where Imoen is waiting. This apparition will wait only for 4 rounds (about 24 seconds) before vanishing, and can be talked to as many times as you wish.

Within the Gauntlet, the party starts in a crossroads of 4 pathways. Before each wave, every party member MUST be within this centre area. If they are outside of it, the spectre will teleport everyone to his position in the centre, before the wave begins. So if you wish to maintain a certain defensive formation, make sure that you are within a certain radius of the spectre.

Between each wave is a time interval of 3 rounds (18 seconds), which can be used for buffing up, healing, etc. Alternatively you may speak to the spectre to cause the next wave to arrive right away. You may only make one request of the spectre per wave.

Each wave generally comes from 4 directions, with each pathway spawning different creatures, but which corridor spawns which monsters is randomised. There will also be situations where monsters spawn in the middle of the battle.

After entering the Gauntlet, the player may choose to leave for the Riddle portion of Spellhold Tests, or to move straight on to judgment.

The Gauntlet also is a place where players can experience standard interjection points like Bodhi showing up to hunt the PC and the PC's Slayer Transformation while Resting.

This mod is compatible with all other Mods, because the route is entirely optional. For those playing Mods that have content in Spellhold, they can choose not to go to the Gauntlet.

3. Beta Release Notes

The main purpose of the Beta is to test the following

- the difficulty of the battles : are the battles too difficult? Is it reasonable for an average player to obtain 25 tokens without being killed? are the battles too easy? Are the final wave battles too easy so that players will take staying in there too lightly, to keep remaining there for easy XP ?

- the positioning : it should be impossible for any party members to be outside of the centre of the Gauntlet when a wave begins - after a wave begins they may roam freely. Please save a screenshot if you find that a certain position allows a player or two to be outside of the radius of the centre as the wave begins

Changes made from v0.5

- random item rewards are now available
- it now costs 5 tokens to rest, down from 8
- some waves have been weakened in number
- it takes about 12 waves to increase the difficulty, up from the previous 7
- you now get more XP and tokens for requesting a difficulty increment from the apparition
- time interval for each wave is now averaged at 3.5 rounds (21 sec) instead of 2 rounds (12 sec), and is randomised from 2.5 rounds to 5 rounds long
- apparition may be spoken to after making a request, but the second time is only to request for the wave

OTHER COMPONENTS

A) Irenicus Waiting in Spellhold

Overview
If you choose to be an inmate in Spellhold, you do not have to wait for hours before Irenicus shows up. He now teleports in on his own after Lonk has opened all the gates for the prisoners. Irenicus awaits at the southern end of the holding area, near Dradeel, and will not interrupt the player's activities. When the player wishes to, the party may either
1) attack Irenicus
2) walk near to him, causing him to speak
in order to advance the story.

B) Shortened Spellhold Cutscenes and Dream

Overview
This mod does a few time-saving activities in Spellhold, by doing TWO things

1) drastically cuts down the time Irenicus takes to cast the spell on Imoen and yourself to rip the Bhaalspawn soul essence from you. It does so by simply killing all the thieves at once.

2) in your dream, it moves Bhaal into the Candlekeep castle itself. It also teleports you in front of the demon so that you don't have to waste time moving over. This is meant to cut down the time spent trying to lead that slow moving Bhaal to Imoen.

============

Those interested in playing the Beta, please feel free to PM me for the download link.

Edited by Zyraen, 12 April 2007 - 03:41 AM.

kiyos.jpg____btlbn2.gif____kovaS.jpg
Love between a Law Enforcer and a Fugitive - can such a thing even happen?
SoA Release - Overview / Download Links

Zyraen's Miscellaneous Mods - Ust Natha Accelerator, item tweaks, XP caps, The Ub3r Reaver Kit, and much more...
Spellhold Gauntlet - more than just a Spellhold-Be-Gone
Hidden Kits - hidden dual-classed kits with a twist for progression

#2 ronin

ronin
  • Modder
  • 2114 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 04:14 AM

Sounds very interesting, better than a simple Spellhold be gone type mod.

When is the release?

#3 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 04:33 AM

When is the release?

I think that there isn't yet one to be seen, cause Zyraen needs our help in the implementation of the mod. Meaning that even if he has the code, he needs the trial map, the up building line of enemies(few goblins all the way to dozen of dragons, and the middle part too), the ideas of the rewords etc. :unsure: Or am I wrong? The idea is good, but the question is what do you need from us?

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#4 Thauron

Thauron
  • 216 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 05:25 AM

I have my doubts with this. Will this not destroy a serious amount of content from other mods? - f.e. will the slayer-change still be there?. - as soon as some crucial global for the further development of a friendship/romance/quest path is supposed to be set inside the Spellhold dungeon the Gauntlet risks to completely break said friendship/romance/quest.

But hey, I have never installed any "be-gone" or "shortened" mod, so it is a bit natural I'm not exactly ecstatic about this. ;)

#5 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 07:40 AM

I have my doubts with this. Will this not destroy a serious amount of content from other mods? - f.e. will the slayer-change still be there?. - as soon as some crucial global for the further development of a friendship/romance/quest path is supposed to be set inside the Spellhold dungeon the Gauntlet risks to completely break said friendship/romance/quest.

Like the one I have planned for Darian, perhaps? <_< Could the extra apparition be optional (i.e. you're dumped in Spellhold, but you can talk to the apparition whenever you're ready to begin the gauntlet)?

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#6 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 07:46 AM

If you can manage this like you managed the Ust Natha accelerator, I'd be behind it 100% Do I really need to kill those Kobolds *again* to get that crystal shard?

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#7 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 08:46 AM

Some ground feedback on the idea's receptivity would be appreciated :) That's the purpose of this thread.

BTW, Thauron, you may want to try Accelerated Ust Natha Route in my Miscellaneous Mods :) in terms of seamlessness and still allowing interjections, I think it is probably my best work ever.

FYI, the coding is underway and it probably should not take long. It is really a very simple Mod.
I may need some help though in testing to make sure the battles are not too difficult.
BTW, the premise of the so-called Gauntlet, is not that it is a long gauntlet, a long corridor filled with beasties to kill. That would be... yawn. Rather it is a small enclosed area where you will wait in the centre for the next wave to arrive. The direction they come from and the type will be randomised. Rest and spell rememorisation will be a luxury that will have to be "paid" for, just like treasures will be.

Here are some notes that may help to know what to expect
- the apparition will appear there, but it is entirely optional
- the apparition will disappear after 4 rounds in game time (which means no more gauntlet)
- the slayer transformation with Bodhi will definitely still happen
- I will attempt to code in such a way that the slayer transformation during rest-time will still happen. be warned though that there is not a lot of room to run, and you will still have to "pay" for your rest time

Hope that answers most questions? :) Feedback appreciated

Zyraen's Miscellaneous Mods - Ust Natha Accelerator, item tweaks, XP caps, The Ub3r Reaver Kit, and much more...

#8 minotaur_in_maze

minotaur_in_maze

Modding Prima-Dona

• 906 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 01:09 PM

In this chamber you shall be in the centre of the room and be continuously set upon by waves of enemies, and you will receive tokens in return for defeating each wave.

- provide randomised encounters - what will show up next, and from what direction?
- providing XP comparable to the original route, or even more, depending on the difficulty of the waves

I like the concept!!! Something to consider though. For those who enjoy something more than just random fights, it might be worth a thought to making something spawn in with a puzzel type test or a bit of dialog options - some creature(s) that approach and Lead The Player to believe that it is just a battle. What I am getting at is making it so the player never really knows for sure whether the next test is physical or mental, so as to cut down on a "Oh monsters, lets just attack and move on" stratagey,

Minotaur
They say the world is going to Hell.

They are wrong.

The world IS Hell! Always has been, always will be; except perhaps for the five percent or so of the population who can afford differently.

And, if one must reside in Hell, it is far better to do it as a minion of the Devil than as a member of the damned.
LOVE SUCKS: It makes fools and slaves of us all.
But being alone and unloved is worse.
- Nancy A. Collins "Thin Walls"

#9 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 01:34 AM

Just a food for thought, this mod really reminds me of the trial in the shahagi city under the waves(I am certain that I misspelled that, but) so why not make it there, just make it longer, and of course then you could make the SH shorter. ^_^

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#10 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 02:20 AM

The part of Spellhold that drags for me isn't the part where you are meeting various really stupid challenges to prove your sanity, it's the part before you meet Bodhi. Thing is, you're wandering around that labyrinth for her amusement, not to establish your mental clarity. She likes to taunt you.

I don't know if there is a way to convey the flavor of both halves, but the most desirable mod for me would do so.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods

#11 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 09:17 AM

The part of Spellhold that drags for me isn't the part where you are meeting various really stupid challenges to prove your sanity, it's the part before you meet Bodhi. Thing is, you're wandering around that labyrinth for her amusement, not to establish your mental clarity. She likes to taunt you.

I don't know if there is a way to convey the flavor of both halves, but the most desirable mod for me would do so.

It should be relatively easy for me to code a way so that instead of moving directly to judgment, you move to the Riddles Portion instead - ie, one of the Spectres show up.

#12 ronin

ronin
  • Modder
  • 2114 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 10:44 AM

After a few battles the spector could show up and give you the chance to buy rest or move to a pre-determined portion of spellhold where you continue like the original does from that certain point.

#13 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:20 AM

This mod nears its release :) Waves of monsters are being generated now in a modified map with relative bug-freeness. Would be interested in Beta Testers to test for its balance and difficulty :) Anyone up? The Beta will probably not include the randomised Item Rewards.

#14 ronin

ronin
  • Modder
  • 2114 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:57 AM

If a new game is not required, I am about ready to head to spellhold but I can hold off and test if you need it.

#15 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 10:01 AM

Thanks :) forgot to mention, it will not require a new game at all. For testing or even just pleasure purposes, you can play it anywhere regardless, though the actual generation of the CRE will be in Spellhold if it were not for testing.

I would recommend an at least level 10 party to level 12 party for this. For some of the harder encounters, probably a level 14 or 15 party.

#16 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 10:04 AM

Ah, cool. My party just beat up Bodhi, so we were getting ready to set sail with Saemon. So any time you're ready, just let me know. [Edit: no, we didn't kill her. We tried, but... you know the drill]

Don't know if it matters, but I've got a highly modified non-BGT installation, party level 11-13.

Edited by BGhead, 02 April 2007 - 10:05 AM.

berelinde's mods

#17 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 10:09 PM

ANNOUNCEMENT

Spellhold Gauntlet Beta is completed. Here is the Readme.

The Readme is in the Topic Post.
Those interested in playtesting the Beta, please PM me for the link.

Edited by Zyraen, 08 April 2007 - 10:21 PM.

#18 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 04:37 PM

After some feedback, the Beta will be tweaked as follows before being submitted for further testing

- time in between each wave will be 3 rounds (about 18 seconds)
- cost of Resting will be 5 mithril tokens, down from 8
- Spectre can now be spoken to a second time, but only to request the wave be let in immediately
- each difficulty will now have about 12 waves, before giving a 50% chance to increase the wave difficulty
- requesting to increase the difficulty to the next level will now award more XP and tokens
- some encounters will be reduced in difficulty

LAPSED - difficult to implement
- control of each player (except dead ones) will be returned to the Player upon the end of each battle

Edited by Zyraen, 12 April 2007 - 01:17 AM.

#19 ronin

ronin
  • Modder
  • 2114 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 09:16 PM

Its awesome so far, hard as hell, but awesome.

:cheers:

#20 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 03:42 AM

Finalised Changes made from Beta v0.5

- random item rewards are now available
- it now costs 5 tokens to rest, down from 8
- some waves have been weakened in number
- it takes about 12 waves to increase the difficulty, up from the previous 7
- you now get more XP and tokens for requesting a difficulty increment from the apparition
- time interval for each wave is now averaged at 3.5 rounds (21 sec) instead of 2 rounds (12 sec), and is randomised from 2.5 rounds to 5 rounds long
- apparition may be spoken to after making a request, but the second time is only to request for the wave

If Beta v0.7 has good feedback, it'll be released as is :) for those who have Beta Tested v0.5, feel free to download it from the same link I PMed to you