Haer'Dalis Bird Names

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#61 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:28 AM

I've always found it curious that Haer'Dalis, being newcomer from Sigil, know such great number of mundane Prime birds but never mentions any native to Sigil. Aren't there any?

The Old Gold - v0.2 WIP (mod for BGT/BWP/BWS)

#62 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:51 PM

I've always found it curious that Haer'Dalis, being newcomer from Sigil, know such great number of mundane Prime birds but never mentions any native to Sigil. Aren't there any?

Sigil is a city. It is highly unlikely that any flora or fauna are native to it (though, since I said flora, razorvine is found there). It exists on the Outlands (what used to be called the Plane of Concordant Opposition).

- E

Working and playing on a Mac Pro 6,1 running Mac OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra, and a Mac Pro 3,1 running Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.

~Buion na 'ell! I serve with joy! Your eyes and ears I shall be. Let us hunt together!~
- Erysseril Gwaethorien: a joinable, romanceable NPC mod for BGII - SoA/ToB, in sporadic development.

A female elf warrior of nature and a Bhaalspawn cross paths during their quests, joining forces to share adventure and companionship. Will they find more?

#63 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:55 PM

Sigil is a city. It is highly unlikely that any flora or fauna are native to it (though, since I said flora, razorvine is found there). It exists on the Outlands (what used to be called the Plane of Concordant Opposition).

- E

I read something somewhere about cranium rats and pest swarms. I don't know if that would count.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#64 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:56 PM

Lava's Yvette (to be released very soon as of this post) is a canary, according to Haer'Dalis.

- E

Working and playing on a Mac Pro 6,1 running Mac OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra, and a Mac Pro 3,1 running Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.

~Buion na 'ell! I serve with joy! Your eyes and ears I shall be. Let us hunt together!~
- Erysseril Gwaethorien: a joinable, romanceable NPC mod for BGII - SoA/ToB, in sporadic development.

A female elf warrior of nature and a Bhaalspawn cross paths during their quests, joining forces to share adventure and companionship. Will they find more?

#65 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:50 PM

- E

I read something somewhere about cranium rats and pest swarms. I don't know if that would count.

Cranium rats are common in Sigil and in lower planes cities. They probably qualify as the closest thing to native fauna. Pest swarms, being summoned, would be from wherever "here" is ;)

- E

#66 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:52 PM

Haer'Dalis will call Erysseril a forest falcon.

- E

Edited by Eric P., 18 January 2014 - 09:44 AM.

#67 Ipsissimus

Ipsissimus

[Insert witty statement]

• 356 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:03 PM

It'll be a long while before the two meet, but Haer'Dalis will dub my NPC Enya a curlew.

The Cornell Lab of Ornithology's All About Birds might prove a useful resource.

@ Eric P: perhaps a Northern Harrier, but just use "harrier"?

I hope that, someday, someone decides to use "smew," "coot," "ruddy turnstone," "long-toed stint," or "yellow-bellied sapsucker." Just in the interest of variety, of course. Or, hey...an elf owl! :P

Edited by Ipsissimus, 27 July 2010 - 08:46 PM.

And the mirror, it reflects a tiny dancing skeleton, surrounded by a fleshy overcoat and swaddled in
A furry hat, elastic mask, a pair of shiny marble dice, some people call them snake-eyes, but to me they look like mice
-- "Nothing's gonna change my clothes", They Might Be Giants

#68 Zireael

Zireael
  • 191 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 02:31 AM

Haer'dalis is calling Khalid a stork in my (not-yet-released) Khalid mod. Thanks Lava and Karanith for the suggestion!

#69 Neane

Neane
  • 70 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:34 PM

Haer'Dalis calls Moongaze's Kari the Half-Kobold a Fennec in Throne of Bhaal.
(Currently Beta Version only.)

Fennec

And Haer'Dalis calls Kim the Pirate "my phoenix".

"Alas, alas.. so much beauty and so little time..."

And then calls her his nightingale.

And then, when Kim wants to put her foot in Haer'Dalis' butt:

He says "Let's fly away, my swallow, before this nasty crow picks our eyes."

Kim and Haer'Dalis then talk and He says:

"This swallow is hurt. You will have your play, I promise you!" :coolthumb:

Edited by Neane, 25 March 2011 - 09:33 PM.

#70 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:53 AM

Here's a list of what groups of birds together are commonly called, in case it's helpful.

#71 Rhaella

Rhaella
  • Modder
  • 648 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:28 PM

A murder of crows was always my favourite until I found "squadron of pelicans." lolwat. We do like our birds in English, don't we?

My Adrian is going to be a shrike once he's released.

#72 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:11 PM

I've taken the liberty of updating the OP with posts made since its last addition. If a mod in blue has been completed or abandoned, please say so so that the entry can be turned black or deleted.

And in Valerie's BG2 mod, Haer'Dalis calls her a harrier.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#73 Echo

Echo
  • 125 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

Oh lol, Tempest, I just noticed your avy is a bowling penguin! So far I saw it as a mouth with creepy teeth... XD

This thread is awesome, there's birds mentioned that I had no idea existed! I'm amazed at how organized the modding community is, I had no idea.

And it's almost like a challenge to find new ones that aren't listed... Actually, there is no quail! Someone should take the awesome quail :D

California_Quail2.jpg

#74 rbx4

rbx4
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:17 PM

By the way, I want to temporarily reserve "duck" and "booby." The reasons for this might become clear within a week or so. Duck takes precedence if somebody ever wants booby.

And yes, who else is more fitting for the quail than Quayle?

Edited by rbx4, 05 January 2013 - 11:00 PM.

#75 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:31 AM

In my (yet unfinished) mod 'The Djinni Companion' he calls the djinn Afaaq a seasoned owl. It fits an ancient and wise dawn-of-time type djinni well, I think.

#76 BCaesar

BCaesar
  • Modder
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 09:42 PM

An update, including 2 of the EE characters:

Hexxat is a dark dove or ebon dove.

Neera is a duck.

I can't find anything for Dorn or Rasaad.

For modding, Ratatoskr and I are wrapping up the creating of Clara (she's not finished, but she's almost playable) and she's a margay.

Mod: All Things Mazzy (banters, romance, expanded friendship and more)
Tutorial/Coding: Rest Check (coding for anyone to make their Mod's rest scenes yield to those from BG2:EE and additional coding to make them yield to those from a list of other mods as well.