Photo

Worldmap that doesn't look Photoshop-filtered?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 dex

dex
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 05:30 AM

I couldnīt find any .mos for the worldmap. The map does look blurred, like it ran through a romantic Photoshop-filter that makes things look like "painted" = terrible. I would create a map from the original source material myself but I canīt find the BGT Worldmap graphics, can someone help me out on this? Every other problem Iīve had with BGT is sorted out, this basically just jumped at my while playing.

Also I can imagine that the blurred map is the result of combining the games but I rather have a map that has some jerky transition-patchwork than one that was just filtered to look "as one" and doesnīt have any detail.

Thank you very much in advance.

Edited by dex, 30 March 2007 - 06:03 AM.

#2 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 10:57 AM

Not sure what you mean by "blurred" - if you're referring to the canvas texture background, I think that's intentional. Though I've only used it in Tutu and have no idea how it looks in BGT. Maybe you can post a screenshot.

If you want source material to create your own worldmap (a massive task, though one I would applaud), I would go to any number of Forgotten Realms maps out there, or at least look at the BG2 map to get an idea (not necessarily for accuracy though).

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#3 dex

dex
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 02:02 PM

Ok, I found out how to change it etc. I learned that the map used in BGT is a mixture of several maps and had to be run through some kind of "filter" to wipe out any jerky transitions between different parts of the map. So far so bad since that filter made it look too "painted" and to anorganic in my eyes. What I did was taking this map (redoing it would be truly an enormous task, but with enough time this would be doable as well) and running it through yet a better filter, make the color more washed out here and there, adding a "canvas" like effect and creating an overlay which makes it look slightly damaged. After that I added some detail to the holes in the map I created and some other stuff. It now looks like some old and used cloth-map and I am finally happy! Off playing!! :)

#4 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 02:47 PM

Maybe you could contribute your change to the Worldmap project as an alternate map at least. I'd be interested in seeing what it looks like anyway.

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#5 dex

dex
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 01:06 AM

Maybe you could contribute your change to the Worldmap project as an alternate map at least. I'd be interested in seeing what it looks like anyway.

Well, most people wouldnīt use a map that looks "used" and broken I guess. But I will upload it if you can tell me where to.

#6 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 08:41 AM

How big is it if you ZIP or RAR it? If it's too big to e-mail, maybe the Wizard could take it via FTP or something, since my server isn't really set up for FTP at the moment.

#7 dex

dex
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 10:12 AM

Around 2,5 MB (zipped .mos file to place in override).

#8 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 31 March 2007 - 10:12 AM

I would also be curious to see your filtered map, Dex! :whistling:

I upload my files at Filefront which works very well!

#9 dex

dex
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 10:53 AM

Ok, so WHERE can I upload it/send it to? Donīt have that much time left tonight :)

Edited by dex, 31 March 2007 - 12:31 PM.

#10 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 01:38 PM

Sent you my address - I can also send it to Salk or upload it to my server if folks want.

#11 dex

dex
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 04:09 PM

Ok, sent. If you donīt like it - donīt blame me ;) This reflects my personal taste and was not intended for public use.

#12 Scars Unseen

Scars Unseen
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 12:05 PM

Also, could you let us know how you changed it? I have Campaign Cartographer 3 and might try to make my own version for fun.

#13 dex

dex
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 02:48 AM

Miloch - seems Iīve sent the wrong one. The one I sent was with additional scratches and holes in the map which donīt look very good. The version I use is basically just washed out and without the darker scratches. If you like it you can keep it, but I should send you the better one aswell. I canīt do this before next monday (slow connection).

Some posts above I described how I did it (very basic job). But if you can make an even BETTER map - feel free to do so, Iīd like to see new map-ideas aswell! :)

Edited by dex, 03 April 2007 - 02:50 AM.

#14 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 12:44 AM

I didn't go over the map in detail, but it looked fine to me. If you have a better one though, feel free to send it :). In the meantime, I've uploaded your map here if anyone else wants to check it out (I'll replace it when you send the new one).

#15 dex

dex
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 01:54 PM

I didn't go over the map in detail, but it looked fine to me. If you have a better one though, feel free to send it :). In the meantime, I've uploaded your map here if anyone else wants to check it out (I'll replace it when you send the new one).

Darn. Yes, itīs the one with the additional "damages" here and there. Well I will upload my other map as well and please remove this one, I really donīt like it. If you have my other map and still like this one better, let me know.

#16 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 02:01 PM

I would be happy to upload these to the SHS server, if it will mean easier access for people. :)

#17 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 06:28 PM

Well I still haven't received the new map from dex, who apparently wasn't happy with the previous one.

Though I thought the Worldmap had its own forum now, though I can't find it anymore. At least this could be moved there if it does. Ultimately an alternate Worldmap could/should be incorporated into the mod itself, or perhaps a separate download from whatever server it's hosted on.

#18 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 07:09 PM

When I am not logged in I don't see the worldmap mod forum also, is it only for modders?

Edited by Chevalier, 10 April 2007 - 07:10 PM.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#19 Anomaly

Anomaly
  • 562 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 11:13 PM

When I am not logged in I don't see the worldmap mod forum also, is it only for modders?

I am still a Deviant and I can see the Worldmap forum. It must be invisible for guests. :)
French translator of: BG2 FixPack, BG2 Tweaks, Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU, BGT-Tweaks and some minor mods.

#20 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 11:29 PM

It previously wasn't viewable to guests, just fixed that - you can find the Worldmap forum here.