Photo

Worgas the NPC and his prettie Eyeball

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#61 Ankhes

Ankhes
  • 244 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 04:16 PM

So far I'm enjoying Worgas. I must admit that I am glad to read that there will be more to his story however. I do see what Kulyok means about the npc sounds strung together as a banter though. What I like most about playing with him right now is the challenge of playing with a wild mage who is really really wild. I mean it seems like his spells never cast correctly and the weirdest things happen. Boy does it add a challenge to my game! I've never finished yet with a wild mage of my own and I think Worgas will be the first. I'm almost scared to think of what things will happen with him casting when he reaches higher levels. A mistakenly cast Horrid Wilting on the party or something would be just my luck...
I made an exception to my rule of hardly ever reloading (okay okay I do reload on occassion) when he turned himself into a female though. I just couldn't stomach that. :rolleyes:

Edit - hey wait Kulyok! What are you doing here??? You're supposed to be posting the finished RE for those of us starved for some...um...action! :devil:

Edited by Ankhes, 05 July 2007 - 04:18 PM.

#62 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 10:23 PM

Or, if you're not a fan of humour mods, don't download it and don't play it. But some of us like a little comic relief in between slaying dragons. How about respecting our right to do so???

Have you read the dialogues? This discussion is pointless, unless you have.

I'm an author of a joke mod myself. But I'm not talking about a joke mod - I am talking about a mod that is a joke. It's so thoroughly bad that Alora's punctuation and Alassa's content are smoking nervously in the corner, and I mean it.

Edit - hey wait Kulyok! What are you doing here??? You're supposed to be posting the finished RE for those of us starved for some...um...action!

And how come you're not playtesting it yet?

#63 Ankhes

Ankhes
  • 244 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 10:29 PM

Edit - hey wait Kulyok! What are you doing here??? You're supposed to be posting the finished RE for those of us starved for some...um...action![/quote]

[/quote]

Heh I'm not registered over at PPG and I would have but I was afraid I wouldn't be able to give you intelligent enough feedback or else I would have volunteered. :blush:

#64 flysoup

flysoup
  • 510 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 04:35 AM

By all the glorious RPG addicted webstalkers!

Taste differs in each and every mind and that is what makes life interesting. Different opinions are fruitful and stimulates communication and learning.

To all of you that like the mod, good speed to you and I hope that future content to the storyline will start to get crafted in a near future.

To all of you that dislikes the mod, good speed to you aswell and enjoy all the nonWorgas mods out there :cheers:

And if you really want to get your mind hooked on some serious humour with a deeper meaning then head into Alfredo and friends blog at:

http://alfredocomics.blogspot.com/

Best regards,
flysoup
"Chef of Goblin Pies"

#65 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 06:38 AM

Or, if you're not a fan of humour mods, don't download it and don't play it. But some of us like a little comic relief in between slaying dragons. How about respecting our right to do so???

Have you read the dialogues? This discussion is pointless, unless you have.
<snip>

Edit - hey wait Kulyok! What are you doing here??? You're supposed to be posting the finished RE for those of us starved for some...um...action!

Or finding the numerous instances in Romantic Encounters where plural pronouns are applied to singular subjects? Caught a bunch last night during a casual read-through, and planned to put a list together tomorrow, when time and opportunity next allow it. Got plans tonight, or I would have done it after work. If you're in a hurry, you could do a search for "them" and "their" and you will find that several are used where singular pronouns would have been more appropriate.

Does that make the mod a joke, if it contains gramatical errors? Of course not. It's a beta. It isn't polished. I intend to do my part to make sure that it does emerge from beta status with those pronoun errors corrected.

Worgas is in beta status, too. With Flysoup's permission, I will personally ensure that all errors in spelling, grammar, and punctuation are corrected prior to the release of the next version.

The mod may or may not be to everyone's tastes, but that isn't the point here, as no mod ever appeals to everyone equally. Constructive criticism is welcome, and often necessary to ensure a quality product. "Worgas would benefit from more thorough proofreading by a native English speaker" is constructive criticism. Criticism ceases to be constructive when it becomes dismissive toward another modder's efforts.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#66 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 07:42 AM

Does that make the mod a joke, if it contains gramatical errors? Of course not. It's a beta. It isn't polished. I intend to do my part to make sure that it does emerge from beta status with those pronoun errors corrected.

Have you read the dialogues?

IWD2 NPC alpha isn't polished. RE latest subs aren't polished. As for this mod... go and look. Please. Otherwise, as I've already mentioned, it is pointless.

(And if you start comparing our material to this... well... I can only hope you didn't read it.)

Or finding the numerous instances in Romantic Encounters where plural pronouns are applied to singular subjects? Caught a bunch last night during a casual read-through, and planned to put a list together tomorrow, when time and opportunity next allow it. Got plans tonight, or I would have done it after work. If you're in a hurry, you could do a search for "them" and "their" and you will find that several are used where singular pronouns would have been more appropriate.

If it's my submissions, don't bother - this is appropriate, and this is deliberate. All further content discussion via PM or email, please - the mod isn't in public zone, unlike this one.

Worgas is in beta status, too. With Flysoup's permission, I will personally ensure that all errors in spelling, grammar, and punctuation are corrected prior to the release of the next version.

To me this is an equivalent of Sim or Grim abandoning TBH to go and fix IDU.

#67 flysoup

flysoup
  • 510 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 11:57 AM

Good evening,

First of all Worgas is if anyone havenīt noticed a mad, really "really" mad being deep into the soul and that is one reason why some of his words might seem to be "gramatical errors".

I have written as he talks and not what is gramatical correct, this method is also used alot in comics.

Though the beta has already been checked by a native english speaker, I am willing to let anyone that want to correct the errors that still remains to do so.

Again it is a beta verision but still playable with content into the end of ToB.

Best regards,
flysoup

Edited by flysoup, 06 July 2007 - 11:57 AM.

"Chef of Goblin Pies"

#68 Ymarsakar

Ymarsakar
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 07:58 AM

Why is Kulyok placing a lot of energy into putting others down?

There is such a thing as creative license. Even if people disagree on the exact wording.

Well, I wouldn't call Kelsey a disturbingly(though perhaps 'thankfully' would be better) short collection of random banters with total disregard for Bioware characterization

Just cause you wouldn't call the popular Kelsey mod that, doesn't mean you should try to psychologically attack the author of a new mod.

Btw, Bioware isn't paying anybody around here last time I checked, so their standards are open to re-negotiation.

I am talking about a mod that is a joke

Again with the psychological attack?

This isn't a Literature competition concerning narrative and exposition formal essays. NPC mods should solely be focused on the non player character and the personality/content of the NPC. There's a big difference in thinking that the mod has not enough content and thinking that the mod content is worthless. Given the character bio, it fits quite well with the character. The scripting for the special abilities and the familiar are also much more than a simple joke.

But hey, what's that compared to getting some cheap thrills in discouraging people from creating their own works and vision.

I came here to check whether the 100% wild surge "ability" of Worgas was a bug or some kind of temporary setting, given how regular wild mages aren't like that. In reading this, it seems to be not a bug but a feature. One that highlights the personality of the NPC, differentiating it from the regular Bioware npcs and mod options. I like that.

Thanks to flysoup for making a very unique mod, and a very dangerous one at that. I always liked wild mages, especially with my new game's fighter 9/wild mage dual class I'm trying out.

In the end, the point is that people shouldn't take too much joy in tap dancing on other people's work. It makes for a bad civilization.

#69 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 08:06 AM

Have you read the dialogues?

#70 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 08:09 AM

Please, let's not revive that discussion.

Worgas isn't likely to appel to everyone, but he will appeal to those who always wanted a party-joinable Dradeel or that skald whose name I always forget. He will also appeal to those who like the idea of a wild mage, in every sense of the word "wild," who happens to have a highly unusual familar.

Edit: and yes, I read the dialogues. See the first sentence of the second paragraph.

Edited by berelinde, 22 July 2007 - 08:10 AM.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods

#71 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 08:12 AM

Yes, and you need to refrain from being so blunt with your criticism. This is not the place for it. If there are concerns you have with the npc, bring them up in a reasonable, civil fashion, or if all else fails, take it to PM's.

I personally like this guy so far. He looks like he'll be very... erm... different from any npc I've had in my party before. And that's [usually] a good thing in my book. :)

:new_thumbs: On it so far, Fly!

Edited by Tempest, 22 July 2007 - 08:24 AM.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#72 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 08:38 AM

Yes, berelinde has made her feelings on the mod quite clear in her PM, though I still disagree with her position. I would strongly recommend new users not to download this particular version, at the very least - judging by this topic, some changes and improvements are forthcoming.

#73 flysoup

flysoup
  • 510 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 09:41 AM

Yes, berelinde has made her feelings on the mod quite clear in her PM, though I still disagree with her position. I would strongly recommend new users not to download this particular version, at the very least - judging by this topic, some changes and improvements are forthcoming.

I would strongly recommend new and old users to try the mod for themselves and make up their own oppinions if they dislike or like it.
We all have a different taste, for example I have liked many movies that the critics has given lousy reviews to.

If anyone had in mind to try the mod then do so and see if it is a case for the trashcan or not.

I have tried to explain what the mod is all about so you all can decide from the description if it leans towards your taste or not.

Well enough babbling from my side and I wish you all a happy stay on this planet :cheers:

Edited by flysoup, 22 July 2007 - 09:41 AM.

"Chef of Goblin Pies"

#74 cmorgan

cmorgan
  • Modder
  • 2301 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 09:48 AM

I thought this was solved.

I would strongly and clearly state that while Kulyok is a strong coder, good editor, and the absolutely best troubleshooter/dialogue repairer currently involved in IE modding today (my personal opinion), and I encourage people to garner her blunt and straightforward help in cleaning up their mod should she be willing to do so, VIA PM,

Kulyok has repeatedly made herself clear about her dislike of other modders work here and elsewhere on the forums, in a way that is hurtful to other modders. She has taken it apon herself to pass judgement (which is acceptable private practice) and then presented it over and over again to the community in an unfeeling manner (which is both rude and unacceptable behavior for polite, well meaning adults in an online community). While this is anacceptable (if unwise) practice for an acclaimed critic, she has not been elected to that position. She is entitled to have her own feelings on the matter, but the repeated targetting of a mod in such an unsportswomanlike manner is unacceptable on any forum for any reason.

Good feedback:
The dialogues need work on X, Y, etc., code needs cleaning up r, t , v,

Bad Feedback:
Don't download this mod. It sucks.

G = specific help for the modder in question.

B = coldly shutting out and targeting a new modder or a mod, regardless of it's percieved quality.

Kulyok, I would request that you stop immediately. I do not take issue with your opinion. I respect your skills. But this is an unwise and highly rude use of your status as a strong coder. Take your issues to PM, and refrain from posting something unless it is constructive.

To others reading this thread, it is both unwelcome and inappropriate to further attack Kulyok's postion. It has been clearly and concisely requested that she refrain from attacking a mod and/or modder directly. Your "defending" or "striking back" with your own opinion, is a cheap shot at a person who has been requested to NOT RESPOND - it helps no one, and is the forum equivalent of tying her hands behind her back and then going at her head with a baseball bat. Please expect that further posts ressurrecting this issue will be addressed as a personal attack on a fellow forum member (I say this as a private citizen, not a staffmember) - taking issue with a charcaterization in this thread is rude, unwelcome, and highly unsportsmanlike.

cease and desist.

Edited by cmorgan, 22 July 2007 - 10:05 AM.

#75 Ankhes

Ankhes
  • 244 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 01:59 PM

I did a complete new reinstall of my game and mods but left out Worgas for the time being. I tried to start a multi-player game for Amber and Worgas' cutscene at the beginning ran but not entirely correctly and then when it panned to the Dungeon it just hung and the game never started. I tried several times all over again but each time for multi-player this happened. I hope this was the right place to post this? Anyway I did a new reinstall and will wait for the next version.

Edited by Ankhes, 22 July 2007 - 02:00 PM.

#76 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 02:40 PM

I had a look at the AR0602 scripts for Worgas. I haven't installed it in my own game, so I'm just looking at the scripts, not trying them out.

It would appear that the cutscenes are coded directly in the area scripts. Flysoup, how did this work out in testing?

berelinde's mods

#77 flysoup

flysoup
  • 510 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 12:27 AM

I had a look at the AR0602 scripts for Worgas. I haven't installed it in my own game, so I'm just looking at the scripts, not trying them out.

It would appear that the cutscenes are coded directly in the area scripts. Flysoup, how did this work out in testing?

It worked fine in my testing and for a few other beta testers, but I havenīt tried it with every other mod installed at the same time. So conflicts might be possible.

I am no proffesional coder, I have learned the little I know through looking at other scripters (coders) and also checking out Biowares own content. Also by asking members of communitys such as Spellhold, Blackwyrm and others and it has been very fruitful.

I have my ears opened to the critisism and will take it in and learn from it.

For the moment I am overloaded by comicworks so I havenīt been able to look through Worgas in a while.

I had my ideas when I created this mod and tried to bring them "alive" as best as I could. If there are any modders out there that have other ideas that could improve the mod I am all ears and even willing to hand it over to the "right" persons.
"Chef of Goblin Pies"

#78 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:03 AM

Hey, let's not get carried away!

Cutscene scripting is a royal pain, sometimes, and I'm far from a master of it. It's one of those things where the particular installation has great bearing on how a cutscene runs. In my own experience, I recently had a case where cutscenes would sporadically hang if an action was not allowed to run its course before the next action was cued. Another modder had the same thing, but only on installations that didn't include ToB, which just goes to show that it doesn't take much to throw things out of kilter. In both cases, adding a Wait() line after lengthy actions proved to be the solution.

Later on, I'll put together some suggestions, but they'll be just that: suggestions, to be looked over at your leisure.

Good luck with your comics!

berelinde's mods

#79 flysoup

flysoup
  • 510 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 10:15 AM

Hi,

Anyone that have the Worgas files?, the download link is gone here at SHS and I have lost the files on my computer....

I have in plans to start working on it again and expand it with more content and storyline, so please anyone that has the Worgas mod, let me know and mail it to me.

Best regards/
flysoup
"Chef of Goblin Pies"

#80 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:53 PM

Hm. I don't seem to have the original zip file, but I have a folder with what appears to be an unpacked version. I'll rar it up and PM it to you in a moment.

[edit] Sent - check your inbox.

Edited by vilkacis, 03 March 2008 - 01:57 PM.