Possible Bug in Justice Flail

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ail

Ail
  • 104 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 04:45 AM

Hi all,

until recently, I did not understand the purpose of these forums was mainly to report bugs and problems with the mods.
If this is correct, then I wish to contribute with one presumable bug I found.

I have bought the flail justice from I don't know who anymore, but it seems that it was available in more than one place.
The other day, I found that if I equipped it I gained 4 hp, and true, that is in the description, so that's ok. What I think is not ok is that when I wield another weapon, those 4hp don't go away, so to regenerate completely all I have to do is repeatedly select it intermitently with another weapon. I gain 4hp each time and soon I'm at full hp again.

Alex

#2 -snepp-

-snepp-

Posted 16 April 2007 - 12:16 AM

There are various items in DSotSC that behave in the same way.

Here are a couple others I've come across in my current play-through (first time w/DSotSC installed).

Medium Shield +2 'Heart of the Dragon'
Chain Mail +2 'Blessed Chain Mail' (along with other effect problems that didn't match the description).

I usually fix/nerf items as I go through the game (or attempt to anyway), and modifying the bonus HP behavior is one of the easiest fixes I've encountered so far being the novice IE modder that I am.

#3 --ail--

--ail--

Posted 18 April 2007 - 01:39 AM

Here are a couple others I've come across in my current play-through (first time w/DSotSC installed).

Chain Mail +2 'Blessed Chain Mail' (along with other effect problems that didn't match the description).

I usually fix/nerf items as I go through the game (or attempt to anyway), and modifying the bonus HP behavior is one of the easiest fixes I've encountered so far being the novice IE modder that I am.

#4 Ail

Ail
  • 104 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 01:40 AM

Well, I'm no modder at all and I have no idea how I can do that. Care to enlighten me, please?

Thanks.

Alex

#5 snepp

snepp
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:24 AM

Well, I'm no modder at all and I have no idea how I can do that. Care to enlighten me, please?

Thanks.

Alex

I'll give it a shot, apologies in advance for lack of any detailed explanations, I'm putting this together as quickly as possible.

Download and install DLTCEP. I don't know if there are other programs capable of editing items or easier to use, this is the only one I've tried.
http://www.dragonlan...hp?topic=1297.0

The first time you run DLTCEP you have to do the "Setup" (button in the lower left hand corner).

Enter a name for the setup, anything will do. Under "Game Type" select the type of install you've got (BG1, BGI+Exp, BGII, or BGII+Exp).

If I remember correctly the "Location of chitin.key" line will fill itself in automatically.

For the "Location of IEEP effect descriptions" you'll have to browse to the DLTCEP install directory and select the appropriate file that fits your install (BGI or BGII).

That's all for the setup, I didn't make any other changes, click Save & Back.

First thing to do before editing is locating the name of the file that needs to be edited and to make a backup copy of it. The easiest way to locate the filename is by using either InfinityExplorer or Shadowkeeper, then examine your character's inventory (assuming you have the item in your party).

InfinityExplorer - http://infexp.sourceforge.net/
Shadowkeeper - http://www.mud-maste...eper/index.html

Once you know the filename, browse to your BG install directory, then into the "override" directory.

Locate the appropriate file and make a copy of it somewhere safe.

Back in DLTCEP, click the Item button under Edit, or alternatively select Item under the Edit menu. A new window will open.

Click Load External Item (or use the file menu). Select "DSFLAIL1.ITM", remove the checkbox next to "Open as read-only", then click open. If you don't remove the checkbox, it won't let you save the item later.

Click the "Equipping Effects" tab. Select "Stat: Maximum HP Modifier" in the effects list and click "Edit". A mess of a new window will open.

The effect description on the right will give you a general idea of what the selected effect does and how it can be manipulated. The value that needs to be modified is under the "Type" field, change it from 0 to 3.

That's all, click exit, you'll be returned to the previous window. Click "Save Item As..." and click "Save".

The same steps can be used for any item that has the same effect problem, including the couple I mentioned in my previous post (dsshld53.itm and dschan03.itm). The steps would vary slightly in a couple places if the item file doesn't exist in the override directory, but I believe most of the DSotSC items reside there.

Good Luck!

Edited by snepp, 18 April 2007 - 10:25 AM.

#6 Ail

Ail
  • 104 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 01:44 AM

Thanks.

Alex

I'll give it a shot, apologies in advance for lack of any detailed explanations, I'm putting this together as quickly as possible.

Download and install DLTCEP. I don't know if there are other programs capable of editing items or easier to use, this is the only one I've tried.
http://www.dragonlan...hp?topic=1297.0

The first time you run DLTCEP you have to do the "Setup" (button in the lower left hand corner).

Enter a name for the setup, anything will do. Under "Game Type" select the type of install you've got (BG1, BGI+Exp, BGII, or BGII+Exp).

If I remember correctly the "Location of chitin.key" line will fill itself in automatically.

For the "Location of IEEP effect descriptions" you'll have to browse to the DLTCEP install directory and select the appropriate file that fits your install (BGI or BGII).

That's all for the setup, I didn't make any other changes, click Save & Back.

First thing to do before editing is locating the name of the file that needs to be edited and to make a backup copy of it. The easiest way to locate the filename is by using either InfinityExplorer or Shadowkeeper, then examine your character's inventory (assuming you have the item in your party).

InfinityExplorer - http://infexp.sourceforge.net/
Shadowkeeper - http://www.mud-maste...eper/index.html

Once you know the filename, browse to your BG install directory, then into the "override" directory.

Locate the appropriate file and make a copy of it somewhere safe.

Back in DLTCEP, click the Item button under Edit, or alternatively select Item under the Edit menu. A new window will open.

Click Load External Item (or use the file menu). Select "DSFLAIL1.ITM", remove the checkbox next to "Open as read-only", then click open. If you don't remove the checkbox, it won't let you save the item later.

Click the "Equipping Effects" tab. Select "Stat: Maximum HP Modifier" in the effects list and click "Edit". A mess of a new window will open.

The effect description on the right will give you a general idea of what the selected effect does and how it can be manipulated. The value that needs to be modified is under the "Type" field, change it from 0 to 3.

That's all, click exit, you'll be returned to the previous window. Click "Save Item As..." and click "Save".

The same steps can be used for any item that has the same effect problem, including the couple I mentioned in my previous post (dsshld53.itm and dschan03.itm). The steps would vary slightly in a couple places if the item file doesn't exist in the override directory, but I believe most of the DSotSC items reside there.

Good Luck!

Hi,

I followed your instructions and I managed to see the attributes for the flail both with InfinityExplorer and DLTCEP. I was very confused by i and didn't change a thing. Still, I compared with another item that also grants HP increase (the Dragon Heart shield) but which, on the other hand, is well coded enough to remove the extra hp when the shield is removed. This is the sort of effect I think should be given to Justice, but I didn't notice any difference in how the parameters in both objects were set. Therefore, I don't know how to correct this.

Thanks all.

Alex