Photo

Problem with Short Sword of Backstabbing from 2.30

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Nukenin

Nukenin
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 06:49 PM

The Short Sword of Backstabbing from 2.30 confers its extra +2 bonus for thieves to both weapons if dual-wielding. My swashbuckler went from 9 THAC0 primary (Sword of Flame +1)/10 THAC0 secondary (Arbane +2) to 7 THAC0 primary (Sword of Flame +1)/7 THAC0 secondary (Short Sword of Backstabbing +3).

Of course, if this is intentional, I'm not complaining--but I doubt it's intentional. :)

I just wanted to see if it would grant the swashie a backstab bonus. Fortunately I saved right before, he's gonna get the guild, so I won't be abusing this short sword. :)

Once you work the kinks out, I can't see any assassin going for the guild over this sword. :)

#2 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 08:27 PM

Thanks for the report Nukenin! The off-hand Thac0 bonus was certainly not intentional, and it will be fixed in rev 2.31 along with some minor glitches and added script enhancements. I'll probably release the update this weekend.

BTW, about the Swashbuckler gaining a backstab bonus, no that was not intentional either, but unfortunately I can't seam to find any way of removing this bonus from a specific kit, I can do so only for character classes (i.e. CLERIC, MAGE, FIGHTER...) so the backstab bonus will be granted to Swashbucklers as well.

#3 Nukenin

Nukenin
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 05:06 AM

Is there any way you can grant the additional attack bonus to only the hand wielding the Short Sword of Backstabbing? It's now applying the bonus to the primary hand regardless of which hand is wielding the blade. (I kept a save right before accepting the guild so I could check it when you changed it. :) )

#4 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 06:14 AM

No, not that I know of anyway. Sorry :(

#5 Nukenin

Nukenin
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 06:48 PM

I'll just have to resist the temptation to dual-wield it.

If I ever run an assassin, it'd be the perfect weapon of choice. (Contrary to the Karzak line of thought, I don't see an assassin dual-wielding--I see them wielding one single short blade, or I suppose a bow with poisoned arrows. :) )

#6 evildevil

evildevil

:-)

• 410 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 11:51 AM

for the latest... could you by chance make it so the improved SSOB is an optional install? For some reason it seems too powerful for how easy it is to receive...
Every spelling error above is not my fault, and I should not be counted liable for such.

#7 Longinus

Longinus
  • 287 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 01:20 PM

for the latest... could you by chance make it so the improved SSOB is an optional install? For some reason it seems too powerful for how easy it is to receive...

Thieves need all the help they can get. :)

Besides, you can pick up the +4 short sword of Mask early in the game if you have enough cash.
"If you remember me, then you must also remember what you did!"

~ Edge, Panzer Dragoon Saga

#8 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 08:45 AM

for the latest... could you by chance make it so the improved SSOB is an optional install?

No, I intend to keep the current component setup, sorry... However, you could always manually remove the improved sword by deleting this file SW1H10.ITM from your BG2\Override folder.

#9 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 02:21 PM

Some news concerning this:

From v2.35 you no longer get the Short Sword of Backstabbing from Renal Bloodscalp after completing his ques. He will now 'merely' award you with a generic Short Sword +3. I have transferred my improved Short Sword of Backstabbing to Aran Linvail in CH6. The shadowmaster will now give you the blade if you successfully convince him to grant you his aid against Bodhi.

#10 AvatarofInsolence

• 222 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 01:46 AM

Unless you changed the way the Guild works when you side with Bohdi, then that won't work either. IIRC, when you attack the Guild, Renal vanishes, therefore removing the opportunity to legitimately get the sword early.

#11 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 02:51 AM

I have corrected that. In the upcoming revision 2.40 Aran Linvail is going to wield the Improved SSoB when you fight him (if you side with Bodhi). Check the most recent posts in the ST Improvements thread for details.