Laran
Nasard
Oryal
Paligon
Savarius
Vynmarius
Ymmyrt

Q: But why isn't So-and-So on the list?
A: Some people are very sensitive about how much press their pre-release NPC gets. Unless a modder has added a name to this post him- or herself or unless they've published the name on a public, non-protected forum, that name should not go on this list.

Edited by berelinde, 30 May 2007 - 05:48 AM.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#2 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 08:55 AM

... just don't start it with 'K'.

#3 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 09:21 AM

SHS:
Brythe
Chrysta
Iylos
Hublepot
Khadion
Sebastian
Andrei

CoM:
Stardust Icedreamer

Ope, finish later. Must go.
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#4 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 09:25 AM

Mage Trio - Nara, Morul, plus mentioned already Larz

Retired from modding.

#5 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 12:09 PM

CoM Continued:
Callisto T'sarran
Fiars
Alora
Yeslick
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#6 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 12:23 PM

Hmm...Kulyok for some reason the link you gave us isn't loading a page. Probably my connection but thought I'd say that. It says SMF is busy or something.

I'd try to avoid named that begin with As...not because my own mod NPC begins with an A (and perhaps I should have chosen something different as well) but there are a lot that begin with A.

Go for the Bs!!!

EDIT: Erm..nevermind the link works now and what a funny one it was! :)
DO ~SetGlobal("omgBbqRomanceActive","GLOBAL", 2)~

Gibberlings Three - IE Modding Community

#7 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 12:48 PM

I'd try to avoid named that begin with As...not because my own mod NPC begins with an A (and perhaps I should have chosen something different as well) but there are a lot that begin with A.

Oops. :whistling:

Female that I know of: Chrysta, Illyria, Jailin.
Male: Iylos, Virgil

There are, of course, more, but these occurred to me as nonobvious.

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#8 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 12:55 PM

Darn, and I was leaning toward Alana. But that does sound kind of like Alassa, doesn't it? Ah, well, there's still time to wait for inspiration to strike.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods

#9 Lord Ernie

Lord Ernie
  • Modder
  • 755 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 12:59 PM

I've actually long had the idea of writing up a character with a name starting with 'Q' - Quinn is the full name, for those that are wondering. It hasn't progressed much beyond some the realm of ideas as I continually kept changing my mind when I started to code; bad idea. I'm telling myself now I'll wait till I finish school to start working on him further - somehow, after coding for projects all day, writing and coding up a mod isn't all that alluring.

But yeah, maybe sometime in the future, Quayle won't be lonely around the Q anymore.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move - Douglas Adams

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world - Oscar Wilde

Give a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. But set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

#10 Bookwyrme

Bookwyrme
  • Modder
  • 5804 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 01:05 PM

Aurora (She's not a joinable NPC, but she is--or will be-there)

Mods: <a data-cke-saved-href="http://www.shsforums...-auroras-shoes/">Aurora's Shoes (released),

#11 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 01:11 PM

I assume we're only including non-joinables who are actually the focus of their own mods, right? O.o

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#12 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 01:19 PM

FWIW, the NPC from RTWP is called Shel.

Now, the obvious questions:
- Does Stivan deserve a reservation? What about RTWP's Shel? The TDD NPCs? An NPC from CoM where the only modder refuses to code and only writes?
- Do we really need this? We already have many of those similar-sounding names (as a random example, Nathaniel vs. Neh'taniel).
- Will people even care and respect this list? There are numerous examples of modders releasing vast scale mods without considering existing standards, just because they fancied doing that (and let's not get more specific, otherwise this thread will degenerate in 40 pages of bickering).

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#13 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 01:28 PM

- Does Stivan deserve a reservation? What about RTWP's Shel? The TDD NPCs? An NPC from CoM where the only modder refuses to code and only writes?

I'd rather not duplicate *anybody's* name, so if it's got a name, and it isn't part of the unmodded game, yeah, it could go on this list. That means Aurora, a non-joinable NPC, Shel, TDD, or whatever.

- Do we really need this? We already have many of those similar-sounding names (as a random example, Nathaniel vs. Neh'taniel).

I think we do. But if anybody disagrees, that's their choice. Just because there are already lots of similar sounding names is no reason to perpetuate it. One of the names I was considering was Mara. I ruled it out because it's too similar to Nara. Good enough reason for me.

- Will people even care and respect this list? There are numerous examples of modders releasing vast scale mods without considering existing standards, just because they fancied doing that (and let's not get more specific, otherwise this thread will degenerate in 40 pages of bickering).

I will.

I won't speak for others, because people are always going to go off and do their own thing anyway. As long as they don't call some cold-blooded assassin Gavin, I'm not going to moan about it. It wouldn't do any good.

berelinde's mods

#14 Gabrielle

Gabrielle

Do what thou wilt

• 1567 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 01:40 PM

Its beyond me why someone would use a duplicated name. There are plenty of names out there, from other sources, cultures, countries, etc.
For all of your BG modding needs: Chosen of Mystra.

This is The End.

#15 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 02:15 PM

Yeah, why not Mara Siu for a name... :devil:

Try a resource like this. Ostensibly, it's for pets but there's all sorts of names from different cultures and settings - even a Smurf name generator if that's your bag.

If you wan't something more appropriate to the Forgotten Realms, try this or this. The WtC FR name generator results might be a bit lacklustre though. I got Margretor Serpenthelm (Male Half-Orc Barbarian) when I plugged in Miloch. What kind of name is Margretor for a half-orc male? Sounds more like Margaret.

Just pick something unique though. For example, I have a non-joinable NPC from the "Shining South" (FR's equivalent of South Asia) whose name I put together with various Burmese name roots. Came up with several and googled most of them with no hits, so I'm not too worried about duplication. Only took a couple minutes too.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#16 Bookwyrme

Bookwyrme
  • Modder
  • 5804 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 02:19 PM

I assume we're only including non-joinables who are actually the focus of their own mods, right? O.o

I would think so, yes. I added Aurora because she has a definite personality & is a character in her own right.

As far as whether or not people will respect the list, some will, some won't, but isn't it better to have a list available for people who do want to make sure their character has a unique name?

Edited by Bookwyrme, 29 April 2007 - 03:03 PM.

Mods: <a data-cke-saved-href="http://www.shsforums...-auroras-shoes/">Aurora's Shoes (released),

#17 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 04:22 PM

Aurora is more of a joinable-NPC than many joinable-NPCs are, in the ways that count... ;) (IE banter/dialogue)

Another female NPC in development is Xulaye.

#18 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 05:26 PM

Joinable NPCs in LoI:

Female - Jaina
Male - Elai, Kivan, Tahlemar, Thorguk

Many of the new non-joinable NPCs haven't been given names yet, but here are some of the more important of those who have:

Female - Arialle, Tren
Male - Amthyrn, Darhen, Nasard, Oryal, Vynmarius

#19 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 05:42 PM

I would think so, yes. I added Aurora because she has a definite personality & is a character in her own right.

As far as whether or not people will respect the list, some will, some won't, but isn't it better to have a list available for people who do want to make sure their character has a unique name?

Where exactly do we draw the line (IE, Kae, should Fraesyr and Paligon be on here?)

#20 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 05:43 PM

Up to berelinde :) Are we including villains etc in mods, or just joinable NPCs? There needs to be a line drawn somewhere... ;)