UESP Wiki Pictures Page

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#41 Soul_Slayer

Soul_Slayer
  • Modder
  • 981 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 10:07 PM

I believe Photobucket has a slideshow option.

#42 SeV

SeV
  • Modder
  • 390 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 11:06 PM

it might be a little too much to be going though a thousand pictures and picking out the best 100 every month. Perhaps we should take the best pictures out of the threads as we go? but then if we do that then there probably won't be any room left for the later threads in the month. Hmmm..

My avatar courtesy of my own little personal artist, Rumms

#43 kalia

kalia
  • 454 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 07:35 AM

OK, I think greatfool1 really nailed it!

So here's what we're at so far:

Several categories. I personally like greatfool1's list:

Characters
Scenery
Action/Battle
"Epic" - maybe hugely populated battle shots - like Treetop's and Floydian1's?
"Comic" Books
Romance
Comedy/Glitches

I'll PM Wrye and ask about nudity. If he's okay with it, we could handle it the same we do in the piccies thread - link with warning.

Total of about 100 screenshots, divided amongst the categories. I think the number of screens/category should be somewhat fluid, as we all know these things can go in waves - perhaps one month *everyone's* creating new characters, and then the next version of Deadly Reflexes comes out, and *everyone's* doing action shots!

As for mod listing, I again totally agree with greatfool1 (this was what I had in my head, he said it better):

I assume there will also be captions allowed with the shot, along with a list of the main mods. I would also assume in the Character category, the Beauty mods would be listed for sure, but this kind of listing would not be necessary in the Action category, for instance. In Action, the armor and weapon would be listed. In Romance, the size of the ... oh nevermind.

What I don't know is how best to set up the actual page(s) or whatever it will be. I think it's best to have a separate whatever-it'll-be that loads for each individual category. Perhaps even sections within each category. Is there anyone here on dial-up who could give us feedback on what works best on their connections?

SeV, I was actually thinking that we'd pull pics as they are posted. Perhaps we could have a UESP Nominations or Possibilities thread going, one/month, and if people think a picture should go on the UESP page, we'd ask the original screenshot-taker to post it into that thread, with appropriate mod list. (In other words, in the comments someone would say "You should put that in the UESP thread too!" and then the screenshooter would post it, or a link to the original post, with the mod list in the UESP thread.) Then at the end of the month the UESP author(s) would cull from that thread, and a new thread would be started for the next month.

What do people think?

edit: Oh, and that would apply to screenshot threads on other forums too.

Edited by kalia, 11 May 2007 - 07:35 AM.

#44 SeV

SeV
  • Modder
  • 390 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 10:00 AM

:lol: I think I'm way over my head on this one, I'm still not comprehending what you guys are trying to do..... but I think it's in the hands of capable people so I'll leave you guys to it =)

My avatar courtesy of my own little personal artist, Rumms

#45 kalia

kalia
  • 454 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 10:22 AM

Actually, I'm surprised anyone understands it! Myself included!

Basically, we want a place to show off great screenshots. Originally that place was gonna be a page on UESP Wiki, but the limitation there was that we couldn't really host a large number of screenshots there directly, so it'd just be a page of links - less pretty. Also, Wrye thought it'd be a great start for this new place, especially with the generosity of our new hosts. So now the UESP thing will be a link from this page. For an idea of the sort of thing Wrye originally had in mind, take a look at his "Fun Oblivion Videos" at the bottom of that page.

My picture: someone goes to UESP, says "ooh - recommended mods!" and clicks on that page. Scrolling down, they see a link to something like "Cool Oblivion Screenshots" that takes them to some part of spellhold studios. There they have perhaps links to different categories of screenshots - so that it's not a matter of loading all 100 screenies at once. With each screenshot would be a list of applicable mods, perhaps a short comment from the "Cool Screenshots" author(s) (currently me), a caption to the shot perhaps.

What I don't know - would that screenies page be just a thread in a sep forum section? Would it be set up as a wiki? Is there some other form of hosting setup that would suit this purpose better?

Do people like my picture of this? Does someone have a different idea they'd like to see discussed?

#46 greatfool1

greatfool1
  • 351 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 11:12 AM

Actually, I'm surprised anyone understands it! Myself included!

Basically, we want a place to show off great screenshots. Originally that place was gonna be a page on UESP Wiki, but the limitation there was that we couldn't really host a large number of screenshots there directly, so it'd just be a page of links - less pretty. Also, Wrye thought it'd be a great start for this new place, especially with the generosity of our new hosts. So now the UESP thing will be a link from this page. For an idea of the sort of thing Wrye originally had in mind, take a look at his "Fun Oblivion Videos" at the bottom of that page.

My picture: someone goes to UESP, says "ooh - recommended mods!" and clicks on that page. Scrolling down, they see a link to something like "Cool Oblivion Screenshots" that takes them to some part of spellhold studios. There they have perhaps links to different categories of screenshots - so that it's not a matter of loading all 100 screenies at once. With each screenshot would be a list of applicable mods, perhaps a short comment from the "Cool Screenshots" author(s) (currently me), a caption to the shot perhaps.

What I don't know - would that screenies page be just a thread in a sep forum section? Would it be set up as a wiki? Is there some other form of hosting setup that would suit this purpose better?

Do people like my picture of this? Does someone have a different idea they'd like to see discussed?

How you described it, Kalia, is also how I envisioned it. I assume the single page of categories could be laid out like Wrye's Cool Videos page with a description about each category. Also, maybe consider something that incorporates a grid like below (only a lot prettier), perhaps not right at first, but in the long run. It may be a bit too much to maintain though. Of course if no link appears in that cell of the grid, then it simply isn't available.

Category------------------------Broadband Pictures-------------Dialup Pictures------------SlideShow w/Music

Characters -------------------------- Link ----------------------------- Link ----------------------------- Link

Scenery ------------------------------- Link ----------------------------- Link ----------------------------- Link

Action/Battle ------------------------- Link ----------------------------- Link ----------------------------- Link

Epic ------------------------------------- Link ----------------------------- Link ----------------------------- Link

Comic Books --------------------------- Link ----------------------------- Link ----------------------------- Link

Romance ------------------------------- Link ----------------------------- Link ----------------------------- Link

Comedy/Glitches---------------------- Link ----------------------------- Link ----------------------------- Link

(Is there a simple way to lay out a table/grid instead of having to fill spaces with "-----"?)

#47 Hector the Hooded

Hector the Hooded

Lord of the Nazgūl

• Modder
  • 1164 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 11:16 AM

If someone were to make a grid in Microsoft and use that as a base template for the page, maybe? I don't really know, I don't trust WIKI.

#48 kalia

kalia
  • 454 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 11:33 AM

greatfool1, you & I are thinking exactly alike! If we can't do a pretty grid, couldn't we do a tabbed list? For example:

Characters
>>>>>Slideshow with Music
>>>>>>>>>>Broadband Pictures Only
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Dial-Up Pictures Only (Links?)

Only, y'know, with the dial-up in a color that doesn't hurt one's eyes. :P Oh, and where each "Slideshow" or other title was the link.

Edited by kalia, 11 May 2007 - 11:35 AM.

#49 sanityCheck

sanityCheck
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 11:38 AM

Would this work? And apparently, there is no basic BBCode for tables. :angry:

Edited by sanityCheck, 11 May 2007 - 11:40 AM.

#50 greatfool1

greatfool1
  • 351 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 11:41 AM

greatfool1, you & I are thinking exactly alike! If we can't do a pretty grid, couldn't we do a tabbed list? For example:

Characters

Only, y'know, with the dial-up in a color that doesn't hurt one's eyes. :P Oh, and where each "Slideshow" or other title was the link.

Yes, this format would be much simpler. I really like this, particularly once the fonts and colors* are worked out. It looks very inviting and also it is clear what is being presented.

I would tend to put the Slideshow last in each category though - because putting it together can take a bit and may not always be available if someone doesn't do it. Whereas we should always have at least the Broadband pictures. And especially if they are img's around 400K, they won't be too horrible for the dialup users (I hope), if we don't always include separate dialup versions too.

* Different colors for different categories?

Edited by greatfool1, 11 May 2007 - 11:44 AM.

#51 kalia

kalia
  • 454 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 11:43 AM

Characters

Yes, this format would be much simpler. I like this, particularly once the fonts and colors are worked out. It looks very inviting and also it is clear what is being presented.

I would tend to put the Slideshow last though - because putting it together can take a bit and may not always be available if someone doesn't do it. Whereas we should always have at least the Broadband pictures. And especially if they are img's around 400K, they won't be too horrible for the dialup users (I hope), if we don't always include separate dialup versions too.

Sounds good to me - I just think usually in a very linear manner, so in my mind they had to go either slowest to fastest or fastest to slowest. :P

sanityCheck -- ooh, tables! Thanks so much for that link.

#52 Spike4072

Spike4072
  • 612 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 11:43 AM

I have seen some make a table on this forum but I dont know how they did it.

#53 lemonio

lemonio
  • 79 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 12:57 PM

for slideshow maybe powerpoint?
Twenty-two astronauts were born in Ohio. What is it about your state that makes people want to flee the earth?
-Stephen Colbert

#54 Wrye

Wrye
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 03:09 PM

Re scantily clad figures: No problem. I'll just add a warning at the UESP link. Best not to have full nudity on first page that UESP links to, but scantily clad is okay.

Suggestions: (again, these are just my personal suggestions, not requirements in any way, y'all know the subject matter much better than I):

First page should have some screenshots on it if at all possible. I would say 1-5 in-page screenshots per category, then links to more pictures in the same category. Ideally screenshots would be thumbnails (say 300 px wide?) and link to full size images. The reasons are 1) You want first time viewer to have immediate payoff for following the link. The screenshots should quickly and easily show what the page offers and draw the viewer into see the other twenty or so screenshots per category. (Keep in mind different people will prefer different things. So with sample screens, some will go direct to character portraits, others go direct to battle scenes.)

Figure out your plan (which you've done), then start simple and get something up fast. E.g, just pick 1-5 screenshots per category and put it up ASAP. Couple of advantages to this: 1) This way, it's already out there, and from then on it's a matter of incremental improvements. (One of the advantages of wiki is that it's very easy to do this sort of incremental editing.) 2) You'll get more feedback. For most people it's not real until they can see something. So, you'll get a lot more eyeballs and interest. 3) You'll be able to sit back sooner if you don't have the energy -- if you're waiting for perfection, it will be hanging over your head until you release it. 4) As soon as you've got a good start, I can link to it. Which means more eyeballs sooner.

Since you already know BB and forum posting, you might do your first version as a forum posting. Then you can move it to a different format (wiki, regular website) later.

Tables: Tables are fairly easy in wiki. E.g., UESP: Body Mods. (However, that one uses a custom table class. The site owners here should be able to help.)

#55 sanityCheck

sanityCheck
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 03:24 PM

UESP: Body Mods.

Cool, thanks for tabulating the images. :D

#56 greatfool1

greatfool1
  • 351 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 03:26 PM

Re scantily clad figures: No problem. I'll just add a warning at the UESP link. Best not to have full nudity on first page that UESP links to, but scantily clad is okay.

Suggestions: (again, these are just my personal suggestions, not requirements in any way, y'all know the subject matter much better than I):

First page should have some screenshots on it if at all possible. I would say 1-5 in-page screenshots per category, then links to more pictures in the same category. Ideally screenshots would be thumbnails (say 300 px wide?) and link to full size images. The reasons are 1) You want first time viewer to have immediate payoff for following the link. The screenshots should quickly and easily show what the page offers and draw the viewer into see the other twenty or so screenshots per category. (Keep in mind different people will prefer different things. So with sample screens, some will go direct to character portraits, others go direct to battle scenes.)

Yes, definitely a great point about having screenies on the very first page. Maybe the category heading, followed by several small, clickable screenies from left to right, along with a link for the rest of them for that category like a <More Characters> button or something. Then the second category, repeat... <More Action/Battles>.... etc.

Edited by greatfool1, 11 May 2007 - 03:27 PM.

#57 kalia

kalia
  • 454 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 03:45 PM

Agreed. Shall we set it up initially as a separate forum section here, or a wiki page?

#58 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 06:10 PM

Agreed. Shall we set it up initially as a separate forum section here, or a wiki page?

There's an alternate route available too - we can always set up a custom application here on SHS to do whatever you want it to do...

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#59 greatfool1

greatfool1
  • 351 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 07:21 PM

There's an alternate route available too - we can always set up a custom application here on SHS to do whatever you want it to do...

Is it possible to post screenies from left to right? For example:

CHARACTERS:

Screenie1 ..............Screenie2 .............. Screenie3..............Screenie4..............Screenie5 ..............<More Characters>

ACTION/BATTLES:

Screenie1 ..............Screenie2 .............. Screenie3..............Screenie4..............Screenie5 ..............<More Action/Battles>

ETC...

Edited by greatfool1, 11 May 2007 - 07:22 PM.

#60 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 07:23 PM

Is it possible to post screenies from left to right? For example:

Everything's possible (- that's my motto in life). It's just a matter of you guys telling us what kind of format you want, and we'll do our very best to step up and provide that. :)

What would be best is if you could give us a consolidated request with specific details as to how you want it to work - so that it's easy to understand, because reading this thread makes me personally a bit unsure as to exactly what you're looking for... :unsure:

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner