Photo

Main Character Stops attacking

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 grant1862

grant1862
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 07:49 AM

I played Baldur's Gate years ago and decided to redo it linked to BG2 with your mod. Works great ,but one weird thing I've noticed is that my main character stops attacking if he gets hit by an enemy. I have to click on him and re-attck the target. I'm early on, so its only a hassle, but later, when losing a round to reacquire can be the difference between victory and defeat, and enemies will be hitting almost every round, this could be very, very bad.

Any ideas, or am I the first person to have this happen?

Thanks

#2 Anomaly

Anomaly
  • 562 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 09:06 AM

No idea, but you are not the first person affected. Someone in our forums has the same problem, even after reinstalling. I cannot reproduce the problem myself. <_<
French translator of: BG2 FixPack, BG2 Tweaks, Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU, BGT-Tweaks and some minor mods.

#3 --Kulyok--

--Kulyok--

Posted 07 May 2007 - 10:57 AM

Mine had this problem, as well. It might be that your main character has a None(default) script chosen. Try Character Sheet®->Customize->Script->Custom(default) at the bottom - it still is fairly primitive, but it works slightly better.

On a related note, one of Amber's disadvantages is an illogical AI script, too - I have to remember to change it every time I recruit her.

#4 Anomaly

Anomaly
  • 562 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 11:28 AM

I suggested to this person to change AI script already but it did not work it seems. :crying:
French translator of: BG2 FixPack, BG2 Tweaks, Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU, BGT-Tweaks and some minor mods.

#5 grant1862

grant1862
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:02 AM

Mine had this problem, as well. It might be that your main character has a None(default) script chosen. Try Character Sheet®->Customize->Script->Custom(default) at the bottom - it still is fairly primitive, but it works slightly better.

On a related note, one of Amber's disadvantages is an illogical AI script, too - I have to remember to change it every time I recruit her.

Not to sound dumb, but change it to what? I am an historian and game 'player,' so while I can go on and on about the replication of medieval warfare in games, how any of this works is pretty much a mystery.

#6 Nazar

Nazar
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:15 AM

Not to sound dumb, but change it to what? I am an historian and game 'player,' so while I can go on and on about the replication of medieval warfare in games, how any of this works is pretty much a mystery.

I had this same prob and if I remember correctly all I did was run with AI off and that fixed it!

#7 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:47 AM

Yes, either AI->Off, or to the very last script in the list. Once more, to change the script, you need:
- press R button;
- Find "Customize" button on character screen, it should be on the right;
- Choose "Script" - customize script;
- On your left, there will be a list of available scripts. Choose whichever you like. The one labelled "Custom(Default)" is the one I use. "None" means you'll have to direct your character manually every few seconds, which isn't nice.

#8 grant1862

grant1862
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:47 AM

I had this same prob and if I remember correctly all I did was run with AI off and that fixed it!

I don't have the game in front of me now, but is there a way to put the AI on for some of the characters and not others? I would like my archers to shoot first and ask questions later, but the others don't need to do this.

As a side note, this is how I play Neverwinter Nights 2, as its the only to not have my infantry get torched in my own fireballs.

Thanks for the advice.

#9 ronin

ronin
  • Modder
  • 2114 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 06:18 AM

For characters you want to control manually pick the "none" script and for the others pick on of the other scripts, then just make sure that the AI is on. On the screen its one of the bottom right buttons. I think there are two buttons and the AI on one is the left one the right button is the select all button.

#10 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:07 AM

Anomaly and grant1862, do these people and you, respectively, experience this problem with BGT-WeiDU installed only? I'm willing to investigate more if some BGT-WeiDU AI script (which sounds unlikely) is causing your character to stop attacking. But if it is part of a bigger install, I might be hard pressed to find anything.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#11 Anomaly

Anomaly
  • 562 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 01:11 PM

Yes, they were playing with BG2 FixPack (v2) and BGT-WeiDU only.

By the way, some people are also experiencing another strange problem : nearly not sound at all from NPCs and such, but music perfect...

There is the Weidu.log from a person who has both problems :

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #4 #0 // BG2 Fixpack - Correctifs principaux
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #4 #3 // Correctifs en version BETA (consultez le ReadMe !)
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #4 #100 // Gain d'experience si on envoie Keldorn se reconcilier avec Maria
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #4 #101 // Animations des sorts amelioree
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #4 #102 // Forger un objet par Cromwell prend reellement un jour
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #4 #103 // Correction des dagues a usage mixte
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #4 #104 // Correction des symboles divin (par Ghreyfain)
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #4 #105 // Les quetes additionnelles du Heros de Franc-Marche attendent que le heros soit officiellement nomme
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #4 #106 // Penalite d'attaque des Geants contre les Petites-personnes, les Nains et les Gnomes
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #4 #107 // Retire la restriction de jumelage des Archers et des Traqueurs
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #4 #108 // Retire le deuxieme attribut bonus pour le chemin Mauvais a l'epreuve de la Colere en Enfer
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #4 #109 // Correction du comportement des demons convoques
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #4 #110 // Correctifs additionnels pour les scripts
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #4 #111 // Correction de la chanson du barde
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #4 #112 // Les tueurs de magiciens provoquent un fourvoiement magique sur les attaques a distance
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #4 #113 // Correctifs additionnels pour les alignements
~SETUP-BGT.TP2~ #3 #0 // Baldur's Gate Trilogy - Composant principal 1.04

The attack problem was there from the start. About the missing voice, he uninstalled the GUI mod to play BG2, then the voice were missing (well, they played only rarely).

I was unable to reproduce any of the two problems, with exactly the same installation. :(

Edited by Anomaly, 15 May 2007 - 01:12 PM.

#12 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 10:44 PM

Thanks for that. The sound problem has been reported many times before. Some people have solved it by playing around with the Audio Settings in game (specifically, Environmental Audio). They can also play around with the sound settings with the BGConfig utility. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the way that sound is installed.

As for the main character stops attacking problem, do you have any similar reports from people that don't use BG2Fixpack but do use BGT-WeiDU? Also, probably the wrong place to ask this, but does any person that uses BG2Fixpack only find there to be a similar problem in a BG2 game?

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#13 Promilus

Promilus
  • 378 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 10:56 PM

I play without BG2 Fixpack and with BGT 1.04 (Eng this time ^^)...don't have any problems with that.

#14 erebusant

erebusant

It takes a village...

• Modder
  • 2109 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 06:23 AM

Thanks for that. The sound problem has been reported many times before. Some people have solved it by playing around with the Audio Settings in game (specifically, Environmental Audio). They can also play around with the sound settings with the BGConfig utility. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the way that sound is installed.

As for the main character stops attacking problem, do you have any similar reports from people that don't use BG2Fixpack but do use BGT-WeiDU? Also, probably the wrong place to ask this, but does any person that uses BG2Fixpack only find there to be a similar problem in a BG2 game?

I'm finding with my most recent hardware with onboard audio instead of a PCI audio card, I have to turn the Environmental Audio off or else I will not hear such things as Gorion speaking to <charname> upon departing Candlekeep about meeting Jaheira and Khalid at the FAI, but then the spellcasting audio would come thru just fine.

Edited by erebusant, 16 May 2007 - 06:23 AM.

It takes a village...

#15 Derkoth the Disgruntled

Derkoth the Disgruntled
  • 103 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:48 AM

I'm finding with my most recent hardware with onboard audio instead of a PCI audio card, I have to turn the Environmental Audio off or else I will not hear such things as Gorion speaking to <charname> upon departing Candlekeep about meeting Jaheira and Khalid at the FAI, but then the spellcasting audio would come thru just fine.

From the Black Wyrm's Forums, I found that the solution to this was related to the DirectX sound settings. If you run dxdiag and set the Hardware Sound Acceleration Level to Standard instead of Full, it takes care of the missing sounds issue (at least for me).

:cheers:

DtD

#16 Devlinor

Devlinor

Itinerant Lab Rat

• 100 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 04:50 PM

From the Black Wyrm's Forums, I found that the solution to this was related to the DirectX sound settings. If you run dxdiag and set the Hardware Sound Acceleration Level to Standard instead of Full, it takes care of the missing sounds issue (at least for me).

:cheers:

DtD

This is something that I can confirm. Not from the BG standpoint, but from another game. I had a Compact(or) with onboard audio, and while playing Halflife, I had to do something similar. And it doesn't help trying to overide the onboard by installing a PCI audio card instead, if you are using almost any version of Windog (from Windows 98 SE and up), because Billy (I want to be the richest carbon based life-form) Gates brain-dead child will override it and cause conflicts.

Devlinor
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for they are quick to anger and you are good to eat.

Sherman - The Half-Orc Cleric/Fighter NPC for BGT(currently in dialog and scripting ALPHA phase, still due to Comp crash)

To say thanks to the modders that worked on this and other mods check this link and add your thanks to it.

Check this link for a thank you to the modders

#17 Devlinor

Devlinor

Itinerant Lab Rat

• 100 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 05:01 PM

Anomaly and grant1862, do these people and you, respectively, experience this problem with BGT-WeiDU installed only? I'm willing to investigate more if some BGT-WeiDU AI script (which sounds unlikely) is causing your character to stop attacking. But if it is part of a bigger install, I might be hard pressed to find anything.

It was happening to me in CandleKeep and I have the following mods:
(also intalled in this order):

G3Fixpack, TS, SoS, TDD, CtB, BGT_WeiDU, DSotSC, NTotSC, SoBH, Yasraena, Saerileth, BP, WorldMap.

Turning off the ai seemed to fix the problem fine. I normally play with the ai off, so I don't have a moronic NPC go charging at a single hostile only to see 8 more that come running at us to carve us into sushi.

Devlinor
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for they are quick to anger and you are good to eat.

Sherman - The Half-Orc Cleric/Fighter NPC for BGT(currently in dialog and scripting ALPHA phase, still due to Comp crash)

To say thanks to the modders that worked on this and other mods check this link and add your thanks to it.

Check this link for a thank you to the modders

#18 Ulb

Ulb
  • Modder
  • 373 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 10:44 AM

I am aware that this thread is 8 years old but since I've just run into the same issue I thought it'd be worth necroing it to share some additional information with others who might run into it aswell.

I did some additional testing as to how to reproduce this bug and it turns out it only happens when your main character has a shield equipped (used a big tower shield for my testing) and your party AI is turned on.

It happens whether you have a script selected or not, only that with a script selected, your character will start attacking again after he is stopped; you still lose some attacks though even with a script.

I still have no clue as to why it happens but for now you can circumvent this issue by either turning off party AI or not using a shield on your main character.

Edited by Ulb, 08 August 2015 - 10:44 AM.

#19 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 08:24 PM

So this is an engine bug? :unsure: There might be something messing with the BALDUR.BCS or some script attached to the default Player1 CRE (or is that CHR or something? :P)

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#20 Ulb

Ulb
  • Modder
  • 373 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 11:57 PM

I don't think it's an engine bug, if you turn the AI completely off you can use shields without any issues. (That is probably also the reason the issue isn't more of a problem for most people.. I play witht he AI turned off most of the time and I imagine most people do so as well.)

Btw, I noticed this doesn't just affect the main character though.. I've seen it happen on Kagain as well.