• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

#41 Hector the Hooded

Hector the Hooded

Lord of the Nazgūl

• Modder
  • 1164 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:23 PM

That is the jist of it. We did it for the 100 thread over at ESF and it worked pretty well, so I'm just expanding and *hopefully* imprvoing upon this idea.

The archives stay. A stagnant place for all picture threads, so people can see them!

Edited by Hector the Hooded, 08 May 2007 - 12:26 PM.

#42 CapsAdmin

CapsAdmin
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:26 PM

THey're talking about a seperate thread for each person Rumms :) Ie Floydian would have his own thread, I would have my own thread...

I'm against the idea, for a number of reasons, but mainly because it encourages competition and stifles the community spirit.

Yeah, I didn't like the idea either, but I decided to post it anyway because who knows? I also think the community would split up. But, I actually think the idea might work for larger things such as a long story that is well written with screenshots.

#43 Hector the Hooded

Hector the Hooded

Lord of the Nazgūl

• Modder
  • 1164 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:27 PM

I'm against that idea. Waaay to much clutter.

I also think we should Pin the body comparison thread.

Edited by Hector the Hooded, 08 May 2007 - 12:28 PM.

#44 Soul_Slayer

Soul_Slayer
  • Modder
  • 981 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:36 PM

Ok, here is how I think we should do the comments/thread things to keep it clutterless and still managable and appealing to everyone.

To start, in the opening post, I think we should have a link to the posts comments thread.

1. The comments thread will NOT be closed untill the picture thread reaches 200

2. We should make another section in the Oblivion area entitled, Picture archives.

4. When we get 5 FULL picture and comment threads, we pick them out of the Oblivion Screenshot section and drop 'em in the archives.

4. At the very top we should have the Oblivion Picture Comments # 5, followed by Oblivion Picture Thread #5, and the rest shall follow in descending order.

5. Those threads will be locked in the archive, so no more posting commenting in those threads keeping everything nice and neat.

6. This should reduce and clutter and keep everything nice and neat once 5 full comments and picture threads are done, since we will only have ten picture/comment threads in the Screenshot thread at a time.

Comments? Ideas? Yay/Nay?

Why archive them? Won't that just use up server space?

#45 PoPc0rN

PoPc0rN
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:38 PM

Why archive them? Won't that just use up server space?

After along time yeah. But im sure they wont notice untill 10-20 Threads.

▐▐ 'Over A Year Without A Signature' - PoPc0rN 2006/2007▐▐

Posted Image

#46 Rogue Sun

Rogue Sun
  • 262 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:38 PM

THey're talking about a seperate thread for each person Rumms :) Ie Floydian would have his own thread, I would have my own thread...

I'm against the idea, for a number of reasons, but mainly because it encourages competition and stifles the community spirit.

Yeah, I didn't like the idea either, but I decided to post it anyway because who knows? I also think the community would split up. But, I actually think the idea might work for larger things such as a long story that is well written with screenshots.

Exactly. Everyone having their own thread destroys the sense of community. I'm not sure there really is much solution to our problem. I find that while I enjoyed the slower pace of the 100th pic thread I didn't like the comments thread and just avoided it all together. Looking at the pictures was nice, but then trying to comment on them in an entirely separate thread was too much hassle.

I'm going to suggest something that might be a bit off topic, but perhaps we could get a "best of" thread or something similar. Anyone who looks at and posts screenshots on a regular basis knows that there are screenshots and then there are screenshots. Basically its where we could compile some of our best work. Obviously this is subjective to the poster's judgment of their work, so some modesty is going to have to be demonstrated in order to prevent the poster from putting all of their shots in that thread.

Just my $0.02

#47 Axil

Axil
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:40 PM

As someone who doesn't post many (if any in OB) screenshots but always used check the screenshots thread to see what the latest eye candy mods were I'm glad that it has continued. I would like to suggest one or two things though that may improve things for those who look at each page in turn.
Can I suggest that the number of reposts of a particular picture gets limits as a social rule as it seems sometime s every thread start has the same pictures in it. Also as an aside could I also suggest that is a person is refering to a previous post they just reference the post number rather than quoting the entire post and the pictures it contains as it's a nightmare to download pages of posts like that is you have dial up or even 512kb broadband

Edited by Axil, 08 May 2007 - 12:41 PM.

#48 SeV

SeV
  • Modder
  • 390 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:42 PM

Exactly. Everyone having their own thread destroys the sense of community. I'm not sure there really is much solution to our problem. I find that while I enjoyed the slower pace of the 100th pic thread I didn't like the comments thread and just avoided it all together. Looking at the pictures was nice, but then trying to comment on them in an entirely separate thread was too much hassle.

I'm going to suggest something that might be a bit off topic, but perhaps we could get a "best of" thread or something similar. Anyone who looks at and posts screenshots on a regular basis knows that there are screenshots and then there are screenshots. Basically its where we could compile some of our best work. Obviously this is subjective to the poster's judgment of their work, so some modesty is going to have to be demonstrated in order to prevent the poster from putting all of their shots in that thread.

Just my $0.02

I thought about the hasslle factor of going back and forth as well... but I'm not for the idea of a "Best of" either, simply because once again we're going back to competition. We're trying to figure out a way to make everybody comfortable here. I know if I'm just starting out and I see Floydian's best work for example, I'm gonna freak out a little and not post.

My avatar courtesy of my own little personal artist, Rumms

#49 Soul_Slayer

Soul_Slayer
  • Modder
  • 981 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:44 PM

Welcome Axil! :cheers:

I think that if we institute the 2 thread idea, then when the new thread is made we don't have the first couple of posts be reposts from the previous thread.

#50 SeV

SeV
  • Modder
  • 390 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:45 PM

As someone who doesn't post many (if any in OB) screenshots but always used check the screenshots thread to see what the latest eye candy mods were I'm glad that it has continued. I would like to suggest one or two things though that may improve things for those who look at each page in turn.
Can I suggest that the number of reposts of a particular picture gets limits as a social rule as it seems sometime s every thread start has the same pictures in it. Also as an aside could I also suggest that is a person is refering to a previous post they just reference the post number rather than quoting the entire post and the pictures it contains as it's a nightmare to download pages of posts like that is you have dial up or even 512kb broadband

erhm... I might be in the minority but I'm kind of for the no-reposts... I just don't feel the need to see the same shots from the last thread on the first page of the new thread... plus it would slow down the posting speeds...

My avatar courtesy of my own little personal artist, Rumms

#51 PoPc0rN

PoPc0rN
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:46 PM

I thought about the hasslle factor of going back and forth as well... but I'm not for the idea of a "Best of" either, simply because once again we're going back to competition. We're trying to figure out a way to make everybody comfortable here. I know if I'm just starting out and I see Floydian's best work for example, I'm gonna freak out a little and not post.

The best way to do this is to just have a few threads that everyone uses and other people comment on pictures. People wont say bad things about other peoples work, but they would simply add a comment on how to improve.

Posted Image

#52 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:51 PM

Hiya people! I just wanted to say how amazed and proud and thankful and glad I am that you really discuss these things on your own, without any moderators urging you to do so. :D A heartily welcome from me, too, and I'm really glad to see that you're all doing okay here in SHS. And hey, remember that SHS has more than just Oblivion - I'd personally like to see you mingle elsewhere on the forums too! Layers of Reality would welcome fanart and I'm sure Scribbles would love to see fanfiction. :)

Ilmatar's portraits for the Baldur's Gate series ¤ | ¤ | ¤ Ahem. Ilmatar =/= Ilmater. ¤ | ¤ | ¤ deviantART gallery
Grunting is a perfectly acceptable reaction to being struck with a blunt instrument. -berelinde
And, just out of curiosity, my dear, what *are* you wearing? :D - Tempest to me.

#53 Hector the Hooded

Hector the Hooded

Lord of the Nazgūl

• Modder
  • 1164 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:52 PM

So I guess my idea is a no-go, huh?

Judging from the various opinion, we don't seem to have a solution that will suit everyone.

#54 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:53 PM

Judging from the various opinion, we don't seem to have a solution that will suit everyone.

One option is to put up a poll and go by numbers. Democracy means compromise - not everyone can win.

Ilmatar's portraits for the Baldur's Gate series ¤ | ¤ | ¤ Ahem. Ilmatar =/= Ilmater. ¤ | ¤ | ¤ deviantART gallery
Grunting is a perfectly acceptable reaction to being struck with a blunt instrument. -berelinde
And, just out of curiosity, my dear, what *are* you wearing? :D - Tempest to me.

#55 PoPc0rN

PoPc0rN
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:56 PM

Hiya people! I just wanted to say how amazed and proud and thankful and glad I am that you really discuss these things on your own, without any moderators urging you to do so. :D A heartily welcome from me, too, and I'm really glad to see that you're all doing okay here in SHS. And hey, remember that SHS has more than just Oblivion - I'd personally like to see you mingle elsewhere on the forums too! Layers of Reality would welcome fanart and I'm sure Scribbles would love to see fanfiction. :)

Ooooo A mod :) I'll try to get involved in the other thread within this forum, but It may take me some time because I am not able to multi task :P

Posted Image

#56 Hector the Hooded

Hector the Hooded

Lord of the Nazgūl

• Modder
  • 1164 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:57 PM

Well, without delving into something to nasty, we see how well Democracy works in the most "democratic" country in the world - the US of A! For further info on my opinion on that subject click on the link in my sig.

Just sayin.

I realize my idea may eat up a bit of server space, but it will do the same in the Oblivion Screen shot section.

Edited by Hector the Hooded, 08 May 2007 - 12:58 PM.

#57 Soul_Slayer

Soul_Slayer
  • Modder
  • 981 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 01:01 PM

Could we do without the USA bashing please?

Yes, it has it's faults, but so does every other country in the world.

#58 Luchaire

Luchaire
  • 264 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 01:04 PM

This is why I rarely (very rarely) post screenshots. It feels like they all look so "blah" next to so many of the others here. That feeling is compounded by the fact that they almost never get a comment, whereas a screenie by Floydian (for example) gets three pages of comments. The exception of course is folks like Kalia who take time to comment on [seemingly] every post. :)

I do like the idea of separate comments threads, though. As it stands, if I go 12 hours without checking in, there could be 8 pages of posts, which makes it hard to catch up - and also makes a lot of screenshots disappear into the murk too fast (especially those that get few/no comments - see the spiral here?).

#59 Hector the Hooded

Hector the Hooded

Lord of the Nazgūl

• Modder
  • 1164 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 01:05 PM

@ Soul_Slayer - I am not bashing. And there isn't enough money in the world to make me not state my opinion.

Anyway, I really don't know what we are going to do with this screen shot deal, I mean, we want to appeal to everyone, but everyone has a diffrent opinion! Although we all want the same thing - to keep this place friendly and relativly clutter-free.

Any other ideas anybody?

@Luchaire - Don't belittle your screens! They are great, just like your Tabaxi race!

Edited by Hector the Hooded, 08 May 2007 - 01:06 PM.

#60 PoPc0rN

PoPc0rN
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 01:05 PM

What would the Poll question be, and the answers?

Which of the following do you want to happen:
    After 5 threads closed and Archive is made
    After 5 threads no Archive is made
    Multiple Threads with its own purpose
Something like that? Obviously more and better answers/questions.

Posted Image