How do I open files ??

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 MagusWizardo

MagusWizardo

Don't ask... please don't ask.

• 201 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 03:35 PM

The WeiDU readme says to go to the DOS prompt, cd to the BG2 main directory, type "weidu filename.dlg", from what I can interpret... and that should then created a .d file in that directory, which can open in any text editor.
Problem: "weidu is not a known internal or external procedure or command", or something along those lines. I`m guessing the equivalent of the old "bad command or file name".

I have extracted WeiDU onto my harddrive, and run it once, it seems to work perfectly. It comes up with alot of commands you can use, and then says enter arguments.

So, what has gone wrong ?? What do I need to do to make this work ??

Also, on TP2 files... do I just type up the commands in Notepad, and save it as .tp2, or do I have to use a specific program to write/compile them ??

#2 Kismet

Kismet

Mild Thang

• 348 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 04:14 PM

sounds like you didn't install weidu in your BG2 main directory. Check to make sure the weidu.exe file is there.

You can use Notepad, but save yourself a lot of headaches, get a text editor that has line numbering (like ConTEXT).

#3 MagusWizardo

MagusWizardo

• 201 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 06:37 PM

Yes, that would probably be the problem... I put it in a different directory, but the readme said that that didn`t matter. Ah, well, the readme also told me how to remove a fair amount of the clutter in that folder from all the mods I`ve downloaded to look at. :)
Is weidu.exe the only file that needs to be in there, or should I move everything that was in the zip ??

And where can I find ConText ??

#4 Kismet

Kismet

Mild Thang

• 348 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 06:41 PM

You can find ConTEXT here: http://www.fixedsys.com/context/

As far as I know, you only need weidu.exe in the bg2 main directory.

#5 MagusWizardo

MagusWizardo

• 201 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 12:19 AM

Ok,
1) I`ve found that I don`t need to download any new text editors, or install any more programs... probably a good thing, because our network is down at the moment, and the disk drive on the computer with the net is broken, so my method of transfering stuff between the computers is to burn a CD... and I don`t have any rewritables...
My method of linenumbering without installing anything new ?? Simple - MS Word can do line numbering at will (that is at *my* will for once...). :)

2) I tried re-unzipping the WeiDU stuff to the BG2 main directory... open dos, cd to the main directory, type weidu aerie.dlg
Return: weidu is not recognised as an internal or external function, operable program or batch file.

Could it possibly matter that I have BG2 installed in a non-default directory ?? It`s in C:\Program Files\BG2 ; and yes, that is where I unzipped WeiDU to, and where I am going to in DOS.
If it matters, I`m running Windows XP Home upgraded from Win 98, I have BG2 and TOB, with the latest patches. I`m using WeiDU v116.

3) What is the necesary syntax in a TP2 file ?? I constructed a fairly simple one, to change someone`s class, and it returned "parse text error" when I renamed the WeiDU exe and ran it... I`m guessing, therefore, that there is some necesary commands that I need in there to make it work properly.
I *have* looked in the readme, but I don`t quite understand what it`s telling me...

#6 Dyara

Dyara
  • 262 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 12:48 AM

2) I tried re-unzipping the WeiDU stuff to the BG2 main directory... open dos, cd to the main directory, type weidu aerie.dlg
Return: weidu is not recognised as an internal or external function, operable program or batch file.

Could it possibly matter that I have BG2 installed in a non-default directory ?? It`s in C:\Program Files\BG2 ; and yes, that is where I unzipped WeiDU to, and where I am going to in DOS.
If it matters, I`m running Windows XP Home upgraded from Win 98, I have BG2 and TOB, with the latest patches. I`m using WeiDU v116.

Make sure that the WeiDU.exe is in your BG2 main folder. Unzipping the WeiDU stuff in your BG2 folder might have created a WeiDU sub-folder with the WeiDU.exe in it. Just copy/move the WeiDU.exe from that sub-folder into the main folder.

Sometimes it might help to type 'WeiDU.exe aerie.dlg' too.

#7 MagusWizardo

MagusWizardo

• 201 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 01:04 AM

Make sure that the WeiDU.exe is in your BG2 main folder. Unzipping the WeiDU stuff in your BG2 folder might have created a WeiDU sub-folder with the WeiDU.exe in it. Just copy/move the WeiDU.exe from that sub-folder into the main folder.

Sometimes it might help to type 'WeiDU.exe aerie.dlg' too.

It is in the main folder, I didn`t unzip it there exactly, that was just the easiest way to say it. ;)
I moved the contents of the WeiDU folder into the main BG2 folder; so they are definately in the main BG2 folder, and are in the same directory stucture as they were in the zip file. :)

Will try weidu.exe aerie.dlg now :)

EDIT: 'weidu.exe' is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

#8 Kismet

Kismet

Mild Thang

• 348 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 04:43 AM

I moved the contents of the WeiDU folder into the main BG2 folder; so they are definately in the main BG2 folder, and are in the same directory stucture as they were in the zip file. :)

From what I recall, the weidu.exe doesn't automatically get dumped into your main BG2 directory but needs to be manually copied from the main weidu directory to the main BG2 directory.

Also, with using MS Word as a text editor, make sure you save your files as plain text. I imagine that some funky formating characters could do weird things to your code.

In the weidu directory look for the mymod.tp2 file (in the examples subdirectory I believe). It's a nicely commented example of a .tp2 file.

#9 Dyara

Dyara
  • 262 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 05:14 AM

I guess the problem is that the WeiDU.exe is *not* in your BG2 main folder.

You can easily verify this by opening that folder with windows explorer and looking at its content. Or you can type 'dir weidu.exe' at the dos prompt. If it says 'file not found' (or something similar) then the WeiDU.exe isn´t there.

#10 MagusWizardo

MagusWizardo

• 201 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 08:11 AM

WeiDU.exe *is* in the main BG2 folder. Definately. I`ve been testing some non-dialogue stuff, to make sure I`ve got everything working, and so I`ve used a renamed WeiDU.exe , from the main BG2 folder. But this problem was happening even *before* I renamed it, so it isn`t that either. ;)

#11 japheth

japheth

Codewalker

• 317 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 08:24 AM

WeiDU.exe *is* in the main BG2 folder. Definately. I`ve been testing some non-dialogue stuff, to make sure I`ve got everything working, and so I`ve used a renamed WeiDU.exe , from the main BG2 folder. But this problem was happening even *before* I renamed it, so it isn`t that either. ;)

Well, from reading through this thread, it sounds like WeiDU is in the WeiDU folder underneath your BGII directory, rather than in the BGII directory itself.

Think of it like this:

[C Drive] --> [Program Files] --> [BG2] -->[WeiDU] --> [WeiDU.exe]

You want to move WeiDU.exe from the WeiDU directory, into the BG2 directory so it looks like this:

[C Drive] --> [Program Files] --> [BG2] --> [WeiDU.exe]

Then again, I could of just confused matters more. ^_^
Check out BG1Tutu.

#12 MagusWizardo

MagusWizardo

• 201 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 02:56 AM

Japeth, it is in the folder, not a subdirectory... I`ve checked atleast twice ;)

Could it be that the program didn`t download quite properly ?? How big should weidu.exe be ??

#13 Dyara

Dyara
  • 262 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 04:26 AM

The WeiDU.exe (version 116) is exactly 237.568 bytes (or 232 KB).

#14 weimer

weimer
  • 1569 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 07:52 PM

MW, if all else fails you can give arguments to WeiDU without using the command line. Just double click on the WeiDU icon (you assert that it is there somewhere). It should automatically bring up a small black dos window running WeiDU. You will get a huge list of arguments and some '--more--' prompts. Press enter until it says:

Enter arguments:

At that point, type in aerie.dlg (or anything else you like) and press enter. The window will disappear, but AERIE.D should appear in that directory.

#15 MagusWizardo

MagusWizardo

• 201 posts

Posted 24 April 2003 - 03:13 AM

Will try... thanks, Wes. :)

Next thing, Aerie *does* use aerie.dlg doesn`t she ??

#16 -Sim-

-Sim-

Posted 24 April 2003 - 03:18 AM

Aerie will use aerie.dlg, baerie.dlg, aeriej.dlg and aeriep.dlg depending on the situation. She will also use aerie25a.dlg, baerie25.dlg, aerie25j.dlg and aerie25p.dlg in ToB.

#17 MagusWizardo

MagusWizardo

• 201 posts

Posted 24 April 2003 - 03:32 PM

Ok, that worked... thanks, Wes. :) [/broken record]

BTW, little thing I found that I don`t think is mentioned anywhere... some people may get sick of all the Press Enter for More things... if they press Alt-Enter (maximises the DOS window to what it used to look like), there`ll be a whole lot less of them. :)