• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 11:26 AM

This mod will obviously require ToB but not nessessarily Ascension. The Ascension part will be optional.

It will give you Jon for entire ToB as joinable npc.

It will have a palusible explanation for his appearance, hopefully believable enough.

It will have many in-party npc iteractions and conflicts.

It will have additional quests and (a few) new items.

But mostly it will have a terrific ( I hope plot)

Romance option is unlikely but possible for especially twisted female PC's of non-evil alignment.

Yes, I am currently writing the mod itself as I always consider the written dialogs to be the basic 'meat' of the project. I have a pretty good idea in my mind of what I want to accomplish and where I am headed with The Longer Road. There are few 'Easter Eggs' in store in this mod, which I intend to keep hidden for now but the basic idea is in the Forum blurb.

Still, any new ideas are always welcome. I want to thank everybody who discussed it with me and triggered my creativity yet again.

Please don't hesitate to start any discussion here or even rant how much you hate Irenicus and what a piece of refuse I am for trying to drag him out of Hell again!

Freedom cannot be equated with goodness, virtue, or perfection. Freedom has its own unique self-contained nature; freedom is freedom ? not universal goodness. Any confusion or deliberate equalization of freedom with goodness and excellence is in itself negation of freedom, and acceptance of the path of restraint and enforcement.

Nikolai Berdyaev - Christian Existentialist, Philosopher of Freedom.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#2 Slumlord

Slumlord

Cheese Pants King

• 98 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 03:11 PM

Is Jon Bon Irenicus going to keep his elf-in-leather-bondage-gear avatar or will you give him one of the generic stand-by avatars that all party members have?

Romance option is unlikely but possible ...

You can't be serious.

Posted Image
Well, good luck with that.

#3 Seifer

Seifer

The best Anti-Paladin weapon is a tin opener...!

• 4505 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 04:16 PM

That joke never wears thin...!

Keeping him as the original rock star is part of the magic. I say keep the avatar as it is!

how come you always look so damn cool in every photo I see you in?!?

Speaking of modding, I listened to IER 3 yesterday, so you can have another quote for your signature: how come you sound so damn cool, as well as look it? It's unfair. Seriously.

Still a cyberjock, still hacking the matrix, still unsure of what that means.

TeamBG member - http://www.teambg.eu

#4 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 04:26 PM

You can't be serious.

Look at my avatar! ROFLMAO

But seriously, there are few very twisted girls out there who find David Warner's voice absolutely irresistable, despite the bondage leather-gear. Chortle. *If* I will do the romance it will either (a. ) be a platonic one (rather like a relationship between lady cop and Hannibal the Cannibal - you have to agree there was always something between the two) or (b.) it will be for Joneleth not Irenicus. But I shall stay mum about it for now and let you speculate.

Keeping him as the original rock star is part of the magic. I say keep the avatar as it is!

Oh yes. Jonny will keep the leather avatar for sure, that is almost to the end. :) I love it. Especially the skirt. Giggle.

Freedom cannot be equated with goodness, virtue, or perfection. Freedom has its own unique self-contained nature; freedom is freedom ? not universal goodness. Any confusion or deliberate equalization of freedom with goodness and excellence is in itself negation of freedom, and acceptance of the path of restraint and enforcement.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#5 Sphira

Sphira

mod muse

• 427 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 06:17 PM

But seriously, there are few very twisted girls out there who find David Warner's voice absolutely irresistable-

*is one of the twisted girlies who adore his voice*

despite the bondage leather-gear.

He wouldn't be Irenicus with out it! ^_^

Why is the concept so strange? They've got people who are demanding for a Bohdi romance. Lots of people perfer the darker road and seeing that it would take a non-evil female to romance Jon, it touches the aspect that everyone can be saved and the PC/you are the savior. Being a bleeding heart liberal with soft spots for villians, I eat this stuff up.

Good luck on this dorotea. I'm sure it'll be written well! :D
Kaoemeth -=Just Another Evil Romance.=-

Little Mindflayers come from drunken storks.

#6 -jcompton-

-jcompton-

Posted 22 April 2003 - 06:23 PM

You know, the obvious good jokes are already taken, like, "IRENICUS ROMANCE?!? What's next, SAREVOK ROMANCE?!?"

Oh, wait, here's one.

Obviously I need to retaliate with the "Dream Sequence Bhaal Flirt Pack." Instead of teaming up with soul-Imoen to defeat the Bhaal essence, you simply charm him to death.

I mean, come on, a lot of women like Michael Dorn's voice, and Bhaal's evil! Good voice plus evil equals instant romance!

#7 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 06:34 PM

I mean, come on, a lot of women like Michael Dorn's voice, and Bhaal's evil! Good voice plus evil equals instant romance!

Jason I adore your voice - but Kelsey is already written. :)

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#8 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 06:43 PM

and seeing that it would take a non-evil female to romance Jon, it touches the aspect that everyone can be saved and the PC/you are the savior. Being a bleeding heart liberal with soft spots for villians, I eat this stuff up.

Oh yes. Sigh. If you've read my fanfics about Jon you would know I was into this ever since Dave G. asked us in the Attic to write Irenicuses story, instead of writing these endless Bhaalspawn sagas. It was about 2 years ago, and I was hooked on Jon ever since. Chuckle. Since I am already writing a novel about his redemption I may as well try writing his romance. I am not saying it is going to be easy - but Sphira is right, the twist is in the 'everybody can be saved' game of compassion. There is nothing a girl likes more than to bring a man back from the brink of eternal damnation. No knight in shining armor can beat this.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#9 Sphira

Sphira

mod muse

• 427 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 06:44 PM

I mean, come on, a lot of women like Michael Dorn's voice, and Bhaal's evil!

Gee, I think I need to chose what topics I respond to a little bit better. :rolleyes:

#10 -jcompton-

-jcompton-

Posted 22 April 2003 - 06:59 PM

Jason I adore your voice - but Kelsey is already written. :)

You know, here I was having a perfectly good time heckling your mod and now you've made me feel guilty about it. :)

#11 Caedwyr

Caedwyr

Wraith Editor

• 962 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 09:51 PM

I've a couple of quick questions.

1. Will Redemption - The Longer Road be a supplement to the original Redemption (ie: will the original Redemption events still occur if you choose to not take Jonny with you for most of TOB?)
2. Will this mod fit into the story line of Bitter Grey Ashes?

I think these questions have been asked before, but didn't receive definite answers. Any chance of clearing them up?

I look forward playing this mod.
"Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil." - Ferret

PnP Celestials
Geomantic Sorcerer Kit

#12 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 07:50 AM

1. Will Redemption - The Longer Road be a supplement to the original Redemption (ie: will the original Redemption events still occur if you choose to not take Jonny with you for most of TOB?)

I want to make it one of the three or four possible outcomes - if you choose to install Ascension, but the LR should be playable without it as well.

Will this mod fit into the story line of Bitter Grey Ashes?

See above. As I am the writer for the Ashes and LR you may be assured that I would try to be as consistent as possible. But LR will have a few surprises and agian - it will branch into three or four different paths with different outcomes.

Groan - I can already see that it is going to be a hell of a mod to program ... not to mention write.

Thanks for your support and don't hesitate to bombard me with your ideas or even dialog snippets - you never know what may actually end up in the mod.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#13 Slumlord

Slumlord

Cheese Pants King

• 98 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 01:53 PM

Oh yes. Jonny will keep the leather avatar for sure, that is almost to the end.  I love it. Especially the skirt. Giggle.

Good deal. I just wouldn't seem right assigning him a generic elf avatar.

You know with ToB being so extremely short, this guy better talk fast and get his story in before reaching the end.

Posted Image
Well, good luck with that.

#14 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 06:47 PM

You know with ToB being so extremely short, this guy better talk fast and get his story in before reaching the end.

Chortle. I wonder if there is any way to enforce the Un-explored Watcher's Keep... It adds extra hours to the game and I want this place for extra quest!

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#15 Sphira

Sphira

mod muse

• 427 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 10:50 PM

Well, strongly suggesting that the mod would be best played by not exploring Watcher's Keep until ToB or just go straight to ToB, which I guess is a pretty weak idea. Too bad you can't have some 'npc' hanging around the Keep with a friendly suggestion that the PC should wait before braving the dangers of the Keep.

#16 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 24 April 2003 - 07:30 AM

Well, strongly suggesting that the mod would be best played by not exploring Watcher's Keep until ToB or just go straight to ToB, which I guess is a pretty weak idea. Too bad you can't have some 'npc' hanging around the Keep with a friendly suggestion that the PC should wait before braving the dangers of the Keep.

Actually - I can do it. Adding a new nps with a few lines of dialog is no big deal. The question is how rational will it sound? Hmm.

I was hoping to avoid meddling with the SoA proper and concentrate on the ToB only, but maybe I will add a few lines to Jonny's last speech in Hell as well as this Watchers Keep 'Warning'. :)

Most likely though I will make a quest in WK 'non-critical' to the LR main plot line.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#17 Caedwyr

Caedwyr

Wraith Editor

• 962 posts

Posted 24 April 2003 - 09:23 AM

Since the knights of Helm at Watchers Keep question if you are powerful enough to deal with the dangers in Watchers Keep, a check could be placed on the activation of the portal down to level 2. If the player isn't in TOB, then the portal would reject them citing insufficeint power. If the player talks to the Helm knights, they could say something along the lines of "I thought so, only those with great strength can enter the depths of Watchers Keep" (because of the strength of the wards there).

PnP Celestials
Geomantic Sorcerer Kit

#18 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 24 April 2003 - 05:21 PM

Since the knights of Helm at Watchers Keep question if you are powerful enough to deal with the dangers in Watchers Keep, a check could be placed on the activation of the portal down to level 2. If the player isn't in TOB, then the portal would reject them citing insufficeint power. If the player talks to the Helm knights, they could say something along the lines of "I thought so, only those with great strength can enter the depths of Watchers Keep" (because of the strength of the wards there).

Yes - it is duable. But how many people would curse me for this? Hmm. On the other hand the majority would probably start a new ToB game to play the LR anyway...

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#19 Caedwyr

Caedwyr

Wraith Editor

• 962 posts

Posted 24 April 2003 - 06:23 PM

I know it wouldn't bother me that much, since all I really do in Watchers Keep during SoA is check out the store, and loot the first level for the Ammo Belt and other minor items. Also, without Watchers Keep ToB is rather short, so I like to go through the dungeon during the ToB segment of the game.

You could always set up a poll to see when people generally do Watchers Keep, and what their reactions would be to delaying it to the ToB segment of the game.

PnP Celestials
Geomantic Sorcerer Kit

#20 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 24 April 2003 - 07:02 PM

You could always set up a poll to see when people generally do Watchers Keep, and what their reactions would be to delaying it to the ToB segment of the game.

Yes - it makes sense actually. I wanted to write a quest including extended Demogorgon and some other abyssal adventures as you could have guessed, plus Jon-Jon and the wild/dead magic zones , and the Lum's machine is begging to be explored.

Poll is a good idea.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes