4 replies to this topic

#1 Clucky

Clucky
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:47 AM

Varieties of Flora, Cyrodillic Edition
Introduction ? A
Vol-1

Welcome to Varieties of Flora, Cyrodill Edition. The author that wrote Varieties of Daedra has returned and this time I have travelled to the eastern, western, southern and northern tips of the empires capital, Cyrodill. To bring you every existing species of plant that flecks the mesmerising landscape that the emperor himself calls home. But enough of my introduction to the landscape, you are all well versed due to books and personal experience as to the wonder that Cyrodill is, so let?s continue the learning curve. I hope you find this book thoroughly interesting and useful to your alchemical endeavours.

Let?s start with the Alkanet Plant. A common flower found throughout Cyrodill but in vast concentrations throughout and around Skingrad. This is likely because the soil is of legendary quality and allows Flora such as this to grow unchecked. They are of little value and vendors will likely stock them, especially in Skingrad for obvious reasons. The vintners and farmers of Skingrad may have them growing in their fallow fields, so if they are of a positive disposition towards you. Search.

A skilled alchemist will also notice the exceptional qualities of an Alkanet flower, no matter how common it is. Firstly its flowers can be milked to produce a strange liquid which allows a user to resist poison. However it is dangerous to the nervous system and can cause minor fatigue loss so be wary of this. Also an experienced alchemist will realise that the flower gives off a subtle glow. A useful ingredient which can keep it?s sampler from various dangers on the roads between Skingrad and Kvatch. Always let a spare flower light your way through shadowed areas. But remember that only an experienced alchemist will be able to detect and harness its light energy and milk that mysterious liquid from its leaves, producing a potion.

Another ingredient is the Aloe Vera Leaves. Obtained from the Aloe Vera plant. It is relatively common but is nowhere near as concentrated and widely spread as the Alkanet Plant. It prefers moisturised areas, and as such can be found near the west coast, around the city of Anvil. However once again due to its plain appearance it is of very little value in gold. Vendors don?t generally stock them due to the western tip being the main source of acquisition; it never seems to get very far into central, eastern and western Cyrodill. It may have some kind of chemical unknown to this author that can boost the nervous system, the opposite of what an Alkanet Flower can simulate, and for some mysterious reason causes invisibility. The surprising thing about the ingredient is that although invisibility is usually cast using magicka resources, the leaves react badly with a user?s magicka supply.

So far we have tackled with common flora. So I will take this opportunity to inform the reader of an exceptionally rare ingredient which I have limited knowledge of. I have only discovered it once in my career as a scholar and this was in the Mages Guild, if I recall correctly it was the Anvil branch. It has little use as it merely heals minor wounds and has little to no other effects, but I have never witnessed another sample of this rare ingredient. I have no knowledge of its whereabouts or origins as I rarely traipse from Cyrodill but I expect it harnesses Magicka somehow or is from an extremely magical area. Surprisingly though it?s rarity is of little value to vendors. I have been told this by the Anvil Mages Guild head, Carahil. She saw it as of borderline worthlessness and also had little knowledge of its origins. If an Alchemist ever finds another sample of this strange ingredient I urge them to contact me or their local Alchemist. Who knows how useful it could be if Alchemists found a way to contain it. A master of Alchemy however will find little use for it unless to create weak potions of healing. At least though it has no documented negative effects, it is simply known as Ambrosia.

Once again to keep this document in alphabetical order I must warn the reader of the various effects of this plant and it?s worthlessness to alchemists in general. The arrowfoot plant usually yields the ingredient known as arrowfoot or Maranta arundinacea. It is attracted to rivers and oceans in particular much like Aloe Vera. It can be found scattered on the river-side of Niben Bay, among the trees running from Bravil to Leyawiin and especially near the Abacean Sea. Alchemists may occasionally stock it but the best chance of getting it is near coastal areas.

It can restore a novice Alchemists agility, once again another flower that boosts the nervous system, it also, to a more experienced alchemist who can harness the strange substance in the root can strengthen them. The plant perhaps has a defence mechanism however that, although strengthens the sampler, expert alchemists have reported feeling exhausted and burdened after a few seconds of use. This however is a minor effect. Those superstitious may have also heard the rumour that arrowroot is unlucky. Whether this is true or not, the author will not disclose as this book tackles facts and not opinions.

This is where I will finish this rather short volume of varieties of flora, this was merely intended as an introduction to the many ingredients that mages, monks, pilgrims, sailors, alchemists and Cyrodillic adventurers have discovered and used in their travels. Not many ingredients begin with A and this was simply written as an introduction for the budding alchemists out there. Please watch out for further volumes in the future. My objective is to document every plant in Cyrodill.

Keep Alchemising!

Case File I, 3E 428

Subject: LaChance, Lucien
Sentence: Execution On Sight

Description: The subject is an accomplished assassin of the Dark Brotherhood cult. He is experienced in most forms of weaponry and is highly dangerous. Apprehend on sight by any means necessary. The subject is an imperial of average height, hair and eye colour unknown and conceals his face with a Black Hand hood. As well as donning the customary robe. This warrant is commission by the legion commander, Phillida, Adamus. Warning: All legionnaires beware of the wiles of LaChance, apprehend with caution.

Diet: N/A

Subject?s Status: Presumed Alive. Not Imprisoned.

Praise the Nine Divines for their law and order.

Case File II, 3E 431

Subject: Myvryna Arano
Sentence: Life Imprisonment

Description: The subject is currently in residence in the Waterfront District of the Imperial City. An elderly Dark Elf of slim build with white hair and dark eyes, also a member of the thieves? guild. The subject is currently in the hands of Imperial Watch Captain, Lex, Hieronymus. Evidence and information is being extracted currently, as soon as Armand Christophe is in captivity or as soon as a watch captain sees fit she will be detained and imprisoned indefinitely. Note to all legionnaires: Do NOT detain without the authority of a superior.

Diet: When Imprisoned: A loaf of bread, bowl of water and corn cob.

Subject Status: Alive. Healthy. Currently not detained.

Praise the Nine Divines for their law and order.

These of course you have all seen before but we have moved to a new forum so I thought it would be best to repost them considering that we may gain new members soon enough and the lark. Hope those of you who haven't already seen these are pleased with them. Tell me your opinions and that sort of mumbo jumbo. Basically this is a place to host my scribblings, whether it be relevant to the project, thoughts about the mod, suggestions, incoherent babbling... you name it it will be placed here if it comes from me. :)

So first suggestion: Wouldn't it be diva like if all team members had an extension of their profile by having their own thread here to encompass the power of writing, interior building, level design and of course scripters and musicians. hmmm wouldn't it? Down to you though Hector and Invader. :D

#2 Hector the Hooded

Hector the Hooded

Lord of the Nazgūl

• Modder
  • 1164 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 11:02 AM

Very nice, Clucky! I like that part with Lucien! Yuo shoudl probably post this in the non-protected forum though!

#3 Clucky

Clucky
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 11:06 AM

Very nice, Clucky! I like that part with Lucien! Yuo shoudl probably post this in the non-protected forum though!

You hold the power my friend. If you could would it be possible for you to move the dang thing for me. Thanks for the compliment and your help Hector! :)

#4 Clucky

Clucky
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 12:21 PM

Governmental Handbook, Standard Issue

Introduction to Politics

Politics is based around a dangerous infrastructure within Tamriel, collapses are frequent, deviousness is spread and bribery is regular; all in all a dangerous occupation at best. However for all its faults, it is the only thing which stands between democracy and anarchy. The goal of all political groups is to maintain a land-mass in respectful conditions of the traditions of the peoples (and cultures), whilst introducing numerous ways to govern that particular land-mass towards a prosperous future.

This is of course; also, the purpose of the Elder Council, to facilitate to His Excellency, The Emperor, the needs of the peoples within the empire which he governs. Without the Elder Council uprisings would be disgracefully regular. The Emperor is the figurehead of this vast task; however the politicians ensure that The Emperor is advised thoroughly before decisions are made, they serve the people to a certain degree while maintaining a sturdy relationship with the royal court. They are the neutrality which balances the equation. The empire (and its peoples) would fail to exist without His Royal Highness, The Emperor, and vice versa.

Always remember the goal of politics is not to further your own personal agendas but to protect the aristocracy and the people from each other. The Elder Council maintains itself and so is not influenced by either side. Their loyalty resides with the group who has the best morality, not the one with the most money lining their pockets.

The Call of Silence and Right of Admonishment will be applied wherever necessary, although The Emperor has Aedric blood in his veins, we may council him against certain events. It is not in the council?s nature to enrage His Highness, The Emperor but it has been known in several historic events for Emperor and Council to be at war. In this era, it is common knowledge, that although we remain neutral, we should not attempt to anger such a powerful figure.

The Emperor leads us; we advise him when necessary and protect him from threats. Though first and foremost the job is to alert The Emperor of the certain needs of the empire while, as mentioned above, ensuring the people and aristocracy that their views will be heard and the future shall remain in the light of Akatosh. Prosper to lead the Empire and its people to glory!

This is the opening to a piece I am writing. Feedback would be appreciated by all! :)

#5 Invader13

Invader13
  • 52 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 08:18 AM

Very nice Clucky. :)