Photo

Another Screenshot Thread set of ideas..

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

Poll: Improvments? (26 member(s) have cast votes)

Only allowed maxium of 5 shots per post and no double posting

1. hellz yea! it takes way too long for me to load these pages (8 votes [30.77%])

Percentage of vote: 30.77%

2. No (11 votes [42.31%])

Percentage of vote: 42.31%

3. Dont care (7 votes [26.92%])

Percentage of vote: 26.92%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Treetop Smoker

Treetop Smoker

サクラ-絶世の美女

• 593 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:58 PM

To bad everyone won't do that Spike, although it would be nice. :crying:

We should probably say at a MAX 4 direct imgs and the rest links.

Sound fair?

Sounds pretty good to me ! Everyone will pick their favorite 4 to show and rest links.......

Posted Image

#22 Hector the Hooded

Hector the Hooded

Lord of the Nazgūl

• Modder
  • 1164 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:01 PM

Excactly! Maybe we should make another thread with a poll about this idea? Or just run with it?

*Yawn* I'm tired.

#23 cyborgakadjmoose

cyborgakadjmoose
  • 253 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:44 PM

Honestly...I have no problem if we all go back to just posting links again. Waiting for a page with 30+ screenshots to load gets old pretty quickly. But it's great to take advantage of the fact that we can post the images at all.

I really don't mind either way; I just don't think we should limit how many screens we can post. I mean...I can hardly narrow down all of my screenshots to just one or two...I usually have a whole series of them.

Yeah...anyways...sleep calls..and I will answer...

Edited by cyborgakadjmoose, 16 May 2007 - 08:45 PM.

CYBORGAKADJMOOSE (Cyborg also known as DJMoose)

"I don't recall using teleportation, yet there I was....alone...naked."

My Deviantart

My Myspace

Cool place for character names: www.behindthename.com

Posted Image

#24 MystykStar

MystykStar
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 12:46 AM

Those of us that use Photobucket and Imageshack could do thumbnails. I tried to show people how to do it in the first thread but it didnt catch on.

Thumbnails are around 1kb for my shots while full size is about 1.5mb each

I can do that, if it helps. I usually use the upload feature, but don't mind the thumbnail feature from Imageshack.

I voted Yes. Usually I load the page up, go make a coffee, let the cat out/in, see what's on TV later tonight, load up the CS and have just finished furnishing the house when all the images have loaded and the page says Done :lol: I'm on broadband (256/64) and it's slow loading most times.
Then again, my connection is dropping out a fair bit tonight so it could just be our weather.

An image or two with the rest links sounds alright, also.

B)

#25 SeV

SeV
  • Modder
  • 390 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 01:17 AM

Excactly! Maybe we should make another thread with a poll about this idea? Or just run with it?

*Yawn* I'm tired.

I say lets just run with it... I don't want to overuse the polls to the point where people get sick of polling :mellow:

Although it's a 4-5 vote, with 4 I-don't-cares, I think it would be in the best interest for our little group to accomodate to people with slower connections. We're still going with 2 pictures and the rest links? That sounds fine to me....

My avatar courtesy of my own little personal artist, Rumms

#26 VanQa

VanQa
  • 289 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 01:49 AM

I think it would be in the best interest for our little group to accomodate to people with slower connections. We're still going with 2 pictures and the rest links? That sounds fine to me....

I like this idea best :)

Posted Image
-o0o- My Photobucket -o00-

#27 Xetirox

Xetirox

The other Black Swordsman

• 74 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 02:29 AM

I agree. IMG tags are great, look better, and it saves us with faster connections a bit of time from having to click everything, but those with slower connections suffer. Furthermore, having to scroll past a million pics that, as awesome as they look, you've probably seen before (and have probably saved on your hard drive :cheers: ) gets old. I say you should post as many pictures as you like per post, but the number of those using IMG tags should be strictly limited.
"Even if I forcibly replace everything I've lost, they won't go back to normal."
-Guts, episode 287

The Threads of Causality have been tied! This topic is branded for sacrifice!

#28 Darziak

Darziak

Neutral

• 681 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 05:08 AM

{img}{/img}
Advantages: Doesn't require to click on and multiple images can be viewed
Disadvantages: Multiple images can cause slow loading

{url=}{/url}
Advantages: The page loads quickly and the words can be put into a sentence
Disadvantages: Each link requires to be clicked on to be viewed

That's how I see it.

#29 kalia

kalia
  • 454 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:05 AM

I totally agree on the <something like 2> img-tagged/attached pics, and then links. The idea of having all the pics just viewable directly in the thread sounded good, but y'all are right - takes forever to load. Not goodness. I think Karandras was one of the first to do links & then img-tag his (her? uh-oh) fav pic. Really liked that. And thumbnails counting the same as links works great. I think I was one who was really pushing for all in-thread piccies and few linkies, so let me just say right here I was *wrong*. Very very wrong. :P

#30 Hector the Hooded

Hector the Hooded

Lord of the Nazgūl

• Modder
  • 1164 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:07 AM

Yay! My idea FTW! I say we put it at 3 img, not 2. :)

I say we put this in the OP.

Edited by Hector the Hooded, 17 May 2007 - 07:10 AM.

#31 cyborgakadjmoose

cyborgakadjmoose
  • 253 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:21 AM

I'm totally fine with posting two or three images and having the rest as links.
CYBORGAKADJMOOSE (Cyborg also known as DJMoose)

"I don't recall using teleportation, yet there I was....alone...naked."

My Deviantart

My Myspace

Cool place for character names: www.behindthename.com

Posted Image

#32 Treetop Smoker

Treetop Smoker

サクラ-絶世の美女

• 593 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:23 AM

Three screens sounds fair.

Posted Image

#33 SeV

SeV
  • Modder
  • 390 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:59 AM

:ROFL: way to idea-steal Hector! :ROFL: That should go in the evil villains handbook or something

#34 Soul_Slayer

Soul_Slayer
  • Modder
  • 981 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:00 AM

I'm on a DSL connection, and it only takes about 10 seconds at the most to load the pages the way they are now, but I can understand the problems Dial-up users face, so I think that the 3 MAX img tags, and the rest as either links or thumbnails is the way to go. :cheers:

#35 Spike4072

Spike4072
  • 612 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:01 AM

Also about the OPs. Now that everything is here in the Guidelines and Rules for the Screen Shot Section we can clean up the OP and just add a link to that.

#36 Luchaire

Luchaire
  • 264 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:18 AM

I'm on a DSL connection, and it only takes about 10 seconds at the most to load the pages the way they are now, but I can understand the problems Dial-up users face, so I think that the 3 MAX img tags, and the rest as either links or thumbnails is the way to go. :cheers:

You must have the world's fastest DSL. Perhaps you should sell stock in it? :lol: :P

I'm on a 1Mbps (rated) cable connection. I decided to test actual page loading. So, I clicked on a page of the screenshot thread at random - page 2: 167 images, totalling ~37MB. Took just about 90 seconds total to load the load the page. I suspect on DSL it should take at least that long (up to four times as long if it's a 256kbps connection).

Edited by Luchaire, 17 May 2007 - 09:19 AM.

#37 Hector the Hooded

Hector the Hooded

Lord of the Nazgūl

• Modder
  • 1164 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:32 AM

@ SeV - I didn't idea steal, that was my idea! Read through if you don't belive! :whistling:

Well, Ryu did come up with the base idea, but I built upon it a little.

Edited by Hector the Hooded, 17 May 2007 - 09:35 AM.

#38 SeV

SeV
  • Modder
  • 390 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:39 AM

@ SeV - I didn't idea steal, that was my idea! Read through if you don't belive! :whistling:

Well, Ryu did come up with the base idea, but I built upon it a little.

:lol: you mean the part where Ryu suggested it, or the part where you said "good idea Ryu"? :ROFL: oh man too funny :P

#39 Hector the Hooded

Hector the Hooded

Lord of the Nazgūl

• Modder
  • 1164 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:45 AM

Hmmm.. I wonder if I can edity YOUR post, SeV! :lol:

I supposed it would be, "Good idea, Ryu" and than listed ideas and such. :shifty:

#40 kalia

kalia
  • 454 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:47 AM

I do believe Hector was the first person to post the number "2". :P

(Well, I mean - not in any post *ever*. I'm sure someone somewhere has used the number 2 in another post.)

(Oh my. I've gone horribly off-topic again, haven't I? If I was a superhero, I would be Tangent Girl.)