Photo

Oblivion is getting boring for me...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Kimory

Kimory

The Official... Something... Of the something forum...

• 117 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 04:31 AM

I've had it for 360 for a year almost, and 3 months for PC, and it used to be so fun, but now I'm getting bored! :crying:
I decided to stop playing on 360 because all my characters suck and can't find good gameplay anymore, and I'm stopping on PC because my PC suffers unbelievable amounts of lag and a lot of problems with mods, etc.
I will still be around at the forums, however, since I do like the game, still.
What should I do? I would really like to start playing again, but everytime I go to sit down to play Oblivion, I think "Oh, nevermind, that's such a boring game"
I know my interest will come back later, but not soon.
What should I do? :crying:
"There is no genius without a touch of madness" Sheogorath
Xbox 360 and PC user
What am I working on now?
Remake of my Draconian Race, which was lost long ago...

#2 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 05:28 AM

I've had it for 360 for a year almost, and 3 months for PC, and it used to be so fun, but now I'm getting bored! :crying:
I decided to stop playing on 360 because all my characters suck and can't find good gameplay anymore, and I'm stopping on PC because my PC suffers unbelievable amounts of lag and a lot of problems with mods, etc.
What should I do? I would really like to start playing again, but everytime I go to sit down to play Oblivion, I think "Oh, nevermind, that's such a boring game"

Try some mods that improve your frame-rate by decreasing the texture size of the game graphics, and then find some nice quest mods. There are some good ones around from what I've heard. And have you gotten all out of Shivering Isles yet? :)

#3 Kimory

Kimory

The Official... Something... Of the something forum...

• 117 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 05:45 AM

You don't know how bad my PC is, even with Streamline, Low-poly Grass and lots of others, my Oblivion still runs slow. What does 3 frames per second tell you?
"There is no genius without a touch of madness" Sheogorath
Xbox 360 and PC user
What am I working on now?
Remake of my Draconian Race, which was lost long ago...

#4 Hector the Hooded

Hector the Hooded

Lord of the Nazgūl

• Modder
  • 1164 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 06:29 AM

I'd say buy some RAM. :P

#5 Axil

Axil
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 11:14 AM

What I did was take a break for a while. After I completed the main Quest and realised just how badly it sucked (imho) I decided to take break for a few months and then comeback and see what mods I could add to the game to make it different.
I did the same with Morrowind though I had about 2 years break from that and the original NWN again 2 years break.

Atm I'm alternating between Oblivion NWN2 and Civilization 4 - switched to NWN2 after first play of OB ,then Civ 4 playing the Visa mod which I helped beta test and now OB while taking a break from NWN2 ( waiting for new content and the patches (at least Obsidan seem to be more willing to keep developing/bugfixing than Bethesda were)) and then new expansion for Civ 4 out in July. That way none of these games is going stale on me as I'm not allowing myself to get to the point where it's a chore to load one up.

#6 Snowy

Snowy
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 04:07 PM

I agree with Axil. I have had that same issue with most games, as well as some RL things. Sometimes you just need to step back and take a break from it. I have done so with Ultima Online, which I have played for almost 6 years; with Morrowind and several other large games. After a while away you may feel more 'into' playing. That and a tad bit better computer behavior will work wonders. ;)

"There are two theories to arguing with a woman ... neither works."
~ Will Rogers ~

#7 kaoscat

kaoscat
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 09:18 PM

You could try this optimiser

http://planeteldersc...w...ail&id=2342

then try tweak town

http://www.tweakguid...GTC_Deluxe.html

this may also help you tweak yr pc for Oblivion

Im not much of a computer wizard but i was able to get my game running at optimum

also check out some of the really great mods like

http://devnull.devak...com/convergence

this will make you gaming a real challenge

there are also some really great quest mods out there

The spires
The ancestors
Mud and blood
Paladins of the nines
The tomb of balin
Dragon invasion
Tears of a fiend
Children of rourken
Sentient weapon
Aesgaard
to name a few....hope u get inspired

#8 khay

khay

Swords to Rust, Hearts to Dust

• Modder
  • 1719 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 03:06 AM

I`m in the same situation as you - I`d say take a break and wait until two things happen: you upgrade your PC and, as kaoscat said, this gets a 1.0 or higher version. That`s what I`m doing, at least. There`s also a revamped magic system I forgot its name of, it`s been posted on the Bethesda forum; it changes all spells into (in my opinion) much better ones. Also, there`s a mod that changes the stats/progression/etc of all the races and while I have no clue how compatible all these mods are between them, I`m sure they will offer you a fresh experience, especially if you will take a 5-6 month break from the game first. :)

My only problem is that I find Morrowind exceedingly boring, even highly modded. :(

Edited by khayman, 09 February 2008 - 03:07 AM.

#9 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 01:15 PM

Before I got my current PC, I played Oblivion on my little laptop. I used Oldblivion.
DO ~SetGlobal("omgBbqRomanceActive","GLOBAL", 2)~

Gibberlings Three - IE Modding Community

#10 Sarac

Sarac
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 03:29 AM

I think I'm never gonna get bored with Oblivion...for you,i don't know,maybe you should try some new mods and stuff...
...quest mods,custom race,armors...

Edited by Sarac, 16 February 2008 - 03:30 AM.

Posted Image

#11 HawkFest

HawkFest
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 08:04 PM

You don't know how bad my PC is, even with Streamline, Low-poly Grass and lots of others, my Oblivion still runs slow. What does 3 frames per second tell you?

I got to the same point as you did. Then I tried mods... And was totally flabergasted to experience a complete new game (graphics, mods, monsters, quests and many new stuff and functionalities). But now my laptop is dying as I've played too much: it shuts down unexpectedly during game play, I think I burned my hardware... SO, until I'd buy a new PC with a super graphics board, I've decided to learn about MODDING... And from then on, all the fun with Oblivion came back, only in a different way: building new stuff and quests and such... :). Try it...

Edited by HawkFest, 07 August 2008 - 08:06 PM.

#12 Jarley

Jarley
  • 117 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 02:31 AM

I've played Oblivion through twice now and can't really be bothered to start a third character. I have quite a few mods as well and some of them have been quite enjoyable, but I haven't searched for new ones for quite some time.

I think the main problem with Oblivion without mods is that there's nothing really to be found. Of course there are caves and ruins and the like but nothing unique that isn't involved in one of the quests. And once you've done all or most of the quests there's just random loot in dungeons that most, if not all, look the same. This was what fascinated me in Morrowind - there were many, many artifacts hidden in ruins and caves that were also hidden in places you wouldn't probably look. The only excitement I had in Oblivion after I was the grandmaster of all the guilds and finished the main quest line was whether or not there'd be a Varla stone in the next Ayleid ruin.

So, here's what I do to get fun out of the game. I know it sounds a bit childish but it's still enjoyable.

I create monsters - Oblivion offers unimaginable possibilities in creating the most hideous things that have ever walked the earth. It is, in fact, so much easier to create a monstrous character than one that looks like s/he could actually be alive.
Dreams are like vertebrae - a broken one can cause paralysis

#13 --Ibis--

--Ibis--

Posted 15 October 2008 - 10:18 AM

Oblivion got boring for me almost immediately, especially since I got to watch the game ending on my hubby's computer and then found out that the only reward for all of your troubles is a statue ingame. I had it uninstalled for a long time and recently reinstalled because of a couple of my friend's mods plus some of the hubby's that I'd like to play. But now for some reason I cannot patch Oblivion so none of those mods will load. Guess I will figure it out eventually, but I find myself in no rush over this.

Meh. Morrowind on the other hand has never been off of my 2 successive purple computers since it came out; and the 4 MW disks for modding/gameplay have never been out of hand's reach on my desk.

#14 Ibis

Ibis

moonlit sleepless florida nights

• 114 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 10:19 AM

That above was me .. I'm not a guest, I forgot to log in. Sorry!
Remember the Glory Days of Morrowind Mods? Visit Gamersroam Archival Download Library of 1032 old Morrowind Mods and take your pick. Just register and enjoy the good ole days!