• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 24 April 2003 - 05:19 PM

Just to let everybody know - I posted the first tidbit of dialog from The Longer Road (for queen Ellesime and PC) in the Attic.

http://www.gamejag.com/phpBB2/ -> Our Fortnightly Quiz: Traces of Tolkien: Returning to Our Roots

I think Attic is better suited for litarary pursuits. :) But if you are interested you can see it there.

Freedom cannot be equated with goodness, virtue, or perfection. Freedom has its own unique self-contained nature; freedom is freedom ? not universal goodness. Any confusion or deliberate equalization of freedom with goodness and excellence is in itself negation of freedom, and acceptance of the path of restraint and enforcement.

Nikolai Berdyaev - Christian Existentialist, Philosopher of Freedom.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#2 Sphira

Sphira

mod muse

• 427 posts

Posted 24 April 2003 - 11:51 PM

Forgive me for not posting in the attic or doing any grammar suggestions, as you know, I'm not so hot with grammar. ^_^

I loved the idea you got most points of view about Ellesime, from the tragic lover and torumented queen to melodramatic wench with massive hubris, and I because I lean to the later of the two I should thank you for that. :D Just to irk Elle is nearly reason enough for a romance with Joneleth.
Kaoemeth -=Just Another Evil Romance.=-

Little Mindflayers come from drunken storks.

#3 Userunfriendly

Userunfriendly

Replendent Beta Tester of Madness!!!

• 2175 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 12:29 AM

Forgive me for not posting in the attic or doing any grammar suggestions, as you know, I'm not so hot with grammar. ^_^

I loved the idea you got most points of view about Ellesime, from the tragic lover and torumented queen to melodramatic wench with massive hubris, and I because I lean to the later of the two I should thank you for that. :D Just to irk Elle is nearly reason enough for a romance with Joneleth.

i always found this huge problems with Ellesime...

i mean was she born this stupid, or did she study to become a village idiot???

the ancient romans had a saying..."never do an enemy a small harm"

she let him live after stripping out his elven soul, and she let him keep his powers...powers that are acknowledged to be among the mightiest in suldenesselar...this decision is so idiotic, if the dialog options were there, i would have given her a piece of my mind...

pc: just what, you stupid git were you bloody thinking?are you really this dumb, and if you are why are you still the frikking queen? did that stupid crown of yours squeeze out all your brains? you stripped the elven soul from someone who tried to destroy your city, and then you frikking let him go, with all his magical powers intact, powers you have acknowledged to be second only to your own??? are you so conceited and idiotic as to think he will crawl back to you on his own to beg forgiveness after you did all that to him??? what a moron are you???

sorry, but that piece of idiotcy really offended me...
They call me....

Darth...

Darth Gizka...

#4 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 06:18 AM

Forgive me for not posting in the attic or doing any grammar suggestions, as you know, I'm not so hot with grammar.

That's ok. There are plenty of nitpickers in the Attic who love this kind of stuff ( I guess) and the mod had to be proof-read ( that's my opinion anyway) since it will irk players to see an obvious misspell on the screen! But you don't have to do it. An extra opinion is good, good good to have. I love input.

I loved the idea you got most points of view about Ellesime, from the tragic lover and torumented queen to melodramatic wench with massive hubris, and I because I lean to the later of the two I should thank you for that.  Just to irk Elle is nearly reason enough for a romance with Joneleth.

Oh yes /demonic giggle/ she would be pissed! Oh how she would be pissed. :)

I dislike her strongly but there is a strong support group for her out there, so I tried to be 'very' fair.
And Jonny really *did* love her, so there must be something to her ...

Freedom cannot be equated with goodness, virtue, or perfection. Freedom has its own unique self-contained nature; freedom is freedom ? not universal goodness. Any confusion or deliberate equalization of freedom with goodness and excellence is in itself negation of freedom, and acceptance of the path of restraint and enforcement.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#5 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 06:24 AM

she let him live after stripping out his elven soul, and she let him keep his powers...powers that are acknowledged to be among the mightiest in suldenesselar...this decision is so idiotic, if the dialog options were there, i would have given her a piece of my mind...

Well, if you read my Ellesime's dialog you would notice that I tried to adress this ... she wanted him to 'repent' and beg forgiveness I think, not amputate his soul. But he was too proud for this and thenit became too late.

pc: just what, you stupid git were you bloody thinking?are you really this dumb, and if you are why are you still the frikking queen? did that stupid crown of yours squeeze out all your brains? you stripped the elven soul from someone who tried to destroy your city, and then you frikking let him go, with all his magical powers intact, powers you have acknowledged to be second only to your own??? are you so conceited and idiotic as to think he will crawl back to you on his own to beg forgiveness after you did all that to him???

My take on it - she really believed that he loved her so much that losing her on top of the perspective of losing his soul would scare him to the point of breaking his backbone and crawling back to her for forgiveness. She 'truly' believed it will be the best for him too ...

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#6 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 25 April 2003 - 08:50 AM

pc: just what, you stupid git were you bloody thinking?are you really this dumb, and if you are why are you still the frikking queen? did that stupid crown of yours squeeze out all your brains? you stripped the elven soul from someone who tried to destroy your city, and then you frikking let him go, with all his magical powers intact, powers you have acknowledged to be second only to your own??? are you so conceited and idiotic as to think he will crawl back to you on his own to beg forgiveness after you did all that to him???

My take on it - she really believed that he loved her so much that losing her on top of the perspective of losing his soul would scare him to the point of breaking his backbone and crawling back to her for forgiveness. She 'truly' believed it will be the best for him too ...

I completely agree with userunfriendly.

And your take is really telling - it is really about her and her ego, and adds to my belief that their relationship never was an equal one. It is, like you said, like a schoolboy smitten with his teacher. However, it is probably a good idea to write a less 'demonic' Ellie than I would like - I realize my interpretation of her is rather extreme one. She just *really* rubs me the wrong way.

I really believe she would want to humiliate him more than to make him learn compassion and morals.

#7 Userunfriendly

Userunfriendly

Replendent Beta Tester of Madness!!!

• 2175 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 08:53 AM

Well, if you read my Ellesime's dialog you would notice that I tried to adress this ... she wanted him to 'repent' and beg forgiveness I think, not amputate his soul. But he was too proud for this and thenit became too late.

oh my....you know....dorotea...this is getting annoying and its all your fault...you write such complex characters that are so real and life like i can't wait to play out these mods...grrrrr...

i want jon, i want edwin...

i plan to play redemption, however real life is getting in the way...sigh... :) :) :)

it does make perfect sense...love can make fools of us all...
They call me....

Darth...

Darth Gizka...

#8 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 11:13 AM

oh my....you know....dorotea...this is getting annoying and its all your fault...you write such complex characters that are so real and life like i can't wait to play out these mods...grrrrr...

i want jon, i want edwin...

Oh, you will get Edwin soon enough precious!

As for Jon-Jon - we all will have to wait till I finish sribbling the mod. I have too many ideas for such a small timeframe. Truly told - I am thinking about expanding the ToB and going beyond but probably not.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#9 C'est Nedra

C'est Nedra
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 May 2003 - 06:49 PM

I just finished reading through the first set, and I will say in general that I thought Ellesime came through well in the dialogues. Just a note, if you need any help with art (a.i. drawing the mask) I would be glad to offer my services :)

One note, now that I think about it...I wondered about how Ellesime said that she punished him not as his wife and lover but as the Queen. If that is the case, then why would he need to apologize only to her? I assume she is a representative of her people, and she said she had to punish him in such a way because they would kill him, but her wanting him to apologize to her alone seems more of a thing a 'scorned lover' would do.

Maybe some admittance on her part that she did have some of her own feelings and insecurities in the decision would make the logic flow more, or that she needed to hear those words for herself just as much as for her people.

Also, if she was his wife and lover, wouldn't she know that this was an impossibility? Especially at this stage in his life?

Just some thoughts :)

#10 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 20 May 2003 - 06:48 AM

I just finished reading through the first set, and I will say in general that I thought Ellesime came through well in the dialogues. Just a note, if you need any help with art (a.i. drawing the mask) I would be glad to offer my services

Oh - I would be delighted. If you have any sketches - send them to me. I was planning to use either the BG II poster as a base for the mask ( the one with Ellie's head in the crystal ball) or a Blood mask picture from Magic of Faerun. But if you can draw something unique - please do so!

One note, now that I think about it...I wondered about how Ellesime said that she punished him not as his wife and lover but as the Queen. If that is the case, then why would he need to apologize only to her?

She is lying obviously. Maybe I should make it more clear from PC's answer.

Maybe some admittance on her part that she did have some of her own feelings and insecurities in the decision would make the logic flow more, or that she needed to hear those words for herself just as much as for her people.

Also, if she was his wife and lover, wouldn't she know that this was an impossibility? Especially at this stage in his life?

Exactly my point. I am glad you have noticed this. :) I want to keep it subtle enough so that a smart player can figure it out without me hammering it into his/her head.

Thanks for your input!

Do you wish to beta-read more dialogs as I write them? Just email me. I think I will no longer post them anywhere but will share in private emails. :)

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#11 C'est Nedra

C'est Nedra
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 May 2003 - 08:30 PM

Exactly my point. I am glad you have noticed this. :) I want to keep it subtle enough so that a smart player can figure it out without me hammering it into his/her head.

Thanks for your input!

Do you wish to beta-read more dialogs as I write them? Just email me. I think I will no longer post them anywhere but will share in private emails. :)

Oh - I would be delighted.  If you have any sketches  - send them to me. I was planning to use either the BG II poster as a base for the mask ( the one with Ellie's head in the crystal ball) or a Blood mask picture from Magic of Faerun. But if you can draw something unique - please do so!

Cool...I've done a few rough ones, but I'll put some serious time into them once school is over.  Four more days, woohoo :)

Yep!  I emailed you a response, but let me know on here if you don't ever get it...some of my freinds haven't gotten stuff I have sent, I don't know what the problem is.