• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#41 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 08:25 AM

*sticks hand up* Also extremely interested. :) Also - just say when you want an announcement.

#42 Cuv

Cuv

Area Maker (retired)

• Modder
  • 925 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 09:34 AM

Excellent Kae :) Not quite ready for a proper announcement, but soon. You might want to grab that free Yugma to be ready when you get the chance (goes for anyone else interested).

You should also have:

Paint program (PS preferably) - will be used to make the doors and possibly do other work
IETME v2.2.2 - for making the tileset and setting up our area
Near Infinity - for fine-tuning the area and adjusting some unknowns and flags not supported by IETME
TISPack.exe - for compressing our tileset into a TIZ for easy backups and install
Latest WeiDU version or close - making a WeiDU installer as our backup for the area as we make changes
MSN would be good in addition to Yugma. We found it was easier to conference chat on it rather than the Yugma window

Optional:
Infinity Explorer - to hunt down resources we want, specifically graphics and animations
MOSWorkshop -to repair the area MOS file that IETME almost invariably messes up (but not fatally)
BAMWorkshop -to make custom animations for our area if we so desire

Things I learned NOT to do during the session:
Start up BGII: This caused my yugma chat box to disappear, but no one else was affected.
Type slow... as Tass and Death could see what I was writing before I sent it :rolleyes:

Things are looking good on the first class being fairly soon.

Cuv

Edited by Cuv, 31 May 2007 - 09:35 AM.

#43 igi

igi

IESDP Guardian

• Administrator
  • 1058 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 11:04 AM

Paint Shop Pro
IETME
Near Infinity
Tispack
WeiDU
Infinity Explorer
MOS Workshop
BAM Workshop

yugma

Edited by igi, 31 May 2007 - 11:08 AM.

Visit the IESDP

#44 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

Living on Wings of Dreams

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 11:54 PM

Paint Shop Pro
IETME
Near Infinity
Tispack
WeiDU
Infinity Explorer
MOS Workshop
BAM Workshop

yugma

:Bow: Thanks igi :Bow: Will download as soon as possible Cuv, no later than tomorrow

edit:
@ K'aeloree: Where do you find the time? I mean you are already involved in so many things... man I would go bonkers if I would do that respect
@ Cuv: Not to be annoying, but I think you shouldn't make the class too big. There are enough questions and with I think already 4 persons... who. I mean you saw the speed when we were just with three. I am sure it will go exponential down with people as we all react to it again.
P.s. Someone is going to send me the old tutorials of Mark, I believe he said, from TeamBG. We may be able to use them as well? Even if the tools have improved?

Edited by Deathsangel, 01 June 2007 - 12:02 AM.

Still modding the Mod for the Wicked... It is a big project you know... And I got sidetracked (several times) a bit... sorry.
However, as we all know, Evil never really sleeps.

Sentences marking (my) life:

Winds of change... Endure them, and in Enduring grow Stronger
It takes a fool to look for logic in a man's heart
Never question the sanity of the insane
The Harmony of Life is Chaos

(1st march 2009) SHS women over me:
Kat: if there were more guys that looked like you out here, people's offspring wouldnt be so damn ugly
Noctalys: you are adorable :P

~~ I love it, and I am humbled! Yay! ~~

#45 Cuv

Cuv

Area Maker (retired)

• Modder
  • 925 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 06:44 AM

@ Cuv: Not to be annoying, but I think you shouldn't make the class too big. There are enough questions and with I think already 4 persons... who. I mean you saw the speed when we were just with three. I am sure it will go exponential down with people as we all react to it again.
P.s. Someone is going to send me the old tutorials of Mark, I believe he said, from TeamBG. We may be able to use them as well? Even if the tools have improved?

Thanks Igi:)

Death-

I'm not too worried about the size of the class at the beginning. Like I said, the first class will be a 'get to know the tools' kind of class... but we will also make our tileset and cut out the doors. Trust me, that gives plenty of time for the questions that will come.

If you can get some old tutorials... that would be great. None of the TBG tools have improved since at least 2003, except possibly IETME.

BTW: Does anyone know if Theo still haunts the boards? I would like to ask him some questions about the source code for IETME.

Cuv

#46 Cuv

Cuv

Area Maker (retired)

• Modder
  • 925 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 09:03 AM

I have just spent the last hour reading through Yovaneth's area making tutorial using DLTCEP... and I must say that it is exceptional! Seems to be a very powerful modding tool indeed. I still don't think DLTCEP is very user friendly personally, but the information contained in the tutorial is a 'must read' for anyone interested in making areas with either tool, I would think.

I can show you how to whip out areas with IETME without the headaches that have plagued so many people trying to use it and answer alot of questions, but knowing something of the file types and the way an area works beforehand will save me alot of time in explanation with those types of questions and keep the class moving along.

Just thought I'd throw that out there :cheers:

#47 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 09:49 AM

All downloaded, except for the pro thing. For it has a limited trial days... so download that at the very moment we are going to use it, in order to make the maximum effort out of it.
BamWorkshop2 I took, and MOS Is said to be unstable....
Yovaneth, tutorial. Okay let me see when I got time for that... jeez feeling flooded here (still need to look at the area you send) (found them at least via his signature, though his second link is not valid...)
Found out that offered tutorials are the ones included in IETME... sorry for the false hope

Edited by Deathsangel, 01 June 2007 - 09:54 AM.

Still modding the Mod for the Wicked... It is a big project you know... And I got sidetracked (several times) a bit... sorry.

Kat: if there were more guys that looked like you out here, people's offspring wouldnt be so damn ugly

#48 igi

igi

IESDP Guardian

• Administrator
  • 1058 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 11:05 AM

Sorry about the poor quality of the links. I could not find a tispack that wasn't hosted at filefront, and there is a newer NI around (modified by devsin, and possibly smoketest) but I couldn't find that either. I linked to PSP for a graphics program - it used to be a good option, powerful, lightweight, and shareware. It was bought out by Corel a while ago, and may now be a bag of junk.

Most of the old TBG tutorials are around (or can be) in one form or another. I'm going to try and get some more up at TBG in the next month or so, it's about time I got around to it.

Does anyone know if Theo still haunts the boards?

I don't think so, but he stil exists. His website is http://www.gameapps.com/

None of the TBG tools have improved since at least 2003, except possibly IETME.

Possibly true.
Although, did you know, you can now edit your TIS file (and MOS file, and even PLT, at a push) right in PS itself? :)

Visit the IESDP

#49 Cuv

Cuv

Area Maker (retired)

• Modder
  • 925 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 04:21 PM

and MOS Is said to be unstable....

Really? I have never had any problems with it, ever. Where does it say that? I have a very old version (2001 I believe).

Sorry about the poor quality of the links. I could not find a tispack that wasn't hosted at filefront, and there is a newer NI around (modified by devsin, and possibly smoketest) but I couldn't find that either. I linked to PSP for a graphics program - it used to be a good option, powerful, lightweight, and shareware. It was bought out by Corel a while ago, and may now be a bag of junk.

Thank you very much for the links. Don't worry about the TISPack, I will provide that to the class along with a .bat file specifically for the area we will make and the compression I want :) As for NI, well honestly I don't trust any of the newer versions (no offense to anyone who has been upgrading), I just can't afford any new errors that I don't know how to correct on the spot. I am still working with a 2003 version... and I am very happy with it. I know alot of the unknowns at that time have now been plugged in, but I know them and what I want to do anyway to make things work well.

Most of the old TBG tutorials are around (or can be) in one form or another. I'm going to try and get some more up at TBG in the next month or so, it's about time I got around to it.

My IETME door making tutorial is floating around somewhere... not sure what happened to it, it was here when I left. I could easily upload it here again, but the document is over a meg, not very board friendly. I came across it during the little session I had with Tass and Deathsangel the other day.

I don't think so, but he stil exists. His website is http://www.gameapps.com/

Thank you much, maybe I will try writing him.

Possibly true.
Although, did you know, you can now edit your TIS file (and MOS file, and even PLT, at a push) right in PS itself? :)

Actually I did :cheers: And I do (sometimes), but havent gotten all the plug-ins yet. I still use most of the old TBG graphics tools with PS as my method of tweaks or composition. I had to make a new overlay tileset yesterday, in fact, made it in PS and then just compiled it in IETME just for the TIS, LOL. Hard way, I know ;)

I try not to mess with the tileset too much once I have a good, crisp copy... but that is just me. I, like so many people have had a multitude of problems with IETME over the years with corrupted WED files and random crashes that ruin a whole nights work.

What this class is intended to do is to not only teach how to make areas and help new modders who have terrific skill but are hesitant to move to the next level that would open up a whole world of mod making possibilities, but also to show that IETME is still a valid area making tool IF you know how to avoid its' pitfalls. I have learned how to use IETME over the years, and I would like people to benefit from all the hair pulling, printer smashing (yes, I did that once because I had to hit something and stopped before I smashed my monitor), screaming, and cursing out loud.

I have learned to make a series of backups at every turn and phase of any type of mod related activity. This lesson applies not only to IETME, but using any tool; whether DLTCEP, WeiDU, PS, Near Infinity, or anything else you do to your game. Not trying to steal any thunder from DLTCEP... it is marvelous. Rather, I am trying to give people a chance to learn the basics of area creation; what all the files do, what will screw up your game, workarounds, animations, scripting, ambients,etc; essentially sharing anything I know on each component of an area... no matter what tool they decide to use. I just happen to know IETME, so that is what we will use.

Cuv

#50 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 04:40 AM

and MOS Is said to be unstable....

Really? I have never had any problems with it, ever. Where does it say that? I have a very old version (2001 I believe).

At the download site of TeamBG, the link igi provided

#51 HERD

HERD
  • Modder
  • 283 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 11:13 AM

Some older tuts
http://www.final-exo...s...tuts&type=3

#52 Cuv

Cuv

Area Maker (retired)

• Modder
  • 925 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 04:22 AM

Some older tuts
http://www.final-exo...s...tuts&type=3

Thank you HERD :) Yep, there's my old tut... and of course the link is broken, LOL.

#53 Cuv

Cuv

Area Maker (retired)

• Modder
  • 925 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:54 AM

Well, I've finally got a weekend off coming up at the end of this week and want to have the first class either Friday 13th or Saturday 14th night.

Please post which night is most preferable for those still interested. The class can also start at any time after 9pm PST through about 6am. That should give a pretty wide window.

Edited by Cuv, 09 July 2007 - 09:55 AM.

#54 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:11 AM

Yovaneth, tutorial. Okay let me see when I got time for that... jeez feeling flooded here (still need to look at the area you send) (found them at least via his signature, though his second link is not valid...)

Fixed... :)

-Y-

#55 Cuv

Cuv

Area Maker (retired)

• Modder
  • 925 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 07:26 AM

Much thanks Yovaneth, that really is a sweeeeet tutorial!!!!

Well, I am still announcing the class to commence on either friday 13th of July or Saturday the 14th. What times are good for anyone interested???

If I get no interest, I may just try to write a simple step-by-step tutorial and just go surfing. I have no idea when the next time will be that I have a weekend off.

Cuv

#56 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 07:55 AM

What's your time zone? I'd like to take your class, and am available from Friday after 7pm Eastern Standard Time (GMT +5) or any time on Saturday.

Don't know if I have all the software I need, though. Is there a prerequisites list?

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#57 Cuv

Cuv

Area Maker (retired)

• Modder
  • 925 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 09:20 AM

What's your time zone? I'd like to take your class, and am available from Friday after 7pm Eastern Standard Time (GMT +5) or any time on Saturday.

Don't know if I have all the software I need, though. Is there a prerequisites list?

Hi Berelinde:) I am Pacific Time (PST). California. What is that? GMT +8 or +7... not sure.

I normally work graveyard shifts... so I will be up and ready any time between 9pm PST until 6am... or so.

The list of software is up a page (I believe). We are working with IETME to make a useable area from a bitmap image. I will supply the artwork, TIS pack and .bat. You will really only need IETME 2.2.2 and a paint program (preferably PS).

So your on the east coast. That works for me... and is also good for people in Europe who expressed interest.

Cuv

#58 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 09:28 AM

Sounds like a plan! I'll just put on the big coffeemaker.

But we'll see what time works for everyone else.

Sorry about the timezone thing. I just read the first page, and the extensive discussions thereon. Oops!

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods

#59 Cuv

Cuv

Area Maker (retired)

• Modder
  • 925 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 06:51 PM

I just heard back from Kae, and Friday is good.

Deathsangel will not be able to attend until he gets a new computer. So 9pm PST Friday sounds good to me. If that is too late for you Berelinde, I can wake up a little earlier. Let me know and Kae can make an announcement.

Cuv

#60 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 08:39 PM

No, that's good. I can take a nap when I get home from work.

Just a quick Q:

"Paint:" I usually use Fireworks. Will that work?

And a comment:
I am an utter and complete nOOb when it comes to areas. I hope I don't slow things down too much.

Edited by berelinde, 11 July 2007 - 08:41 PM.

berelinde's mods