Photo

Time for yet another poll....

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Poll: Merging Threads (21 member(s) have cast votes)

Should we merge the thread back together?

1. Yes (6 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

2. No (15 votes [71.43%])

Percentage of vote: 71.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 SeV

SeV
  • Modder
  • 390 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 07:33 PM

We're nearing the end of yet another PooC thread... this time around we went with a limit of 3 posts and the rest thumbnails:

do we merge the two threads again like it was, or do we keep it like it is? Is the current system working for us?

My avatar courtesy of my own little personal artist, Rumms

#2 cyborgakadjmoose

cyborgakadjmoose
  • 253 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 07:45 PM

I think things would work fine if we kept the image tag limit and having the rest as links or thumbnails, like we've been doing.

But then again, having separate threads allows almost everyone's screens to be seen and are rarely passed over.

*shrugs* I'm fine either way.
CYBORGAKADJMOOSE (Cyborg also known as DJMoose)

"I don't recall using teleportation, yet there I was....alone...naked."

My Deviantart

My Myspace

Cool place for character names: www.behindthename.com

Posted Image

#3 greatfool1

greatfool1
  • 351 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 07:56 PM

I like the separate threads because it allows us to go off-topic at times. Shockingly enough, I remember this guy posted some kitties one time on the Comments thread (I think he may even be a moderator!), followed by many more kitties from other peeps! Floydian1, true to form, posted the most exposed pussy I have ever seen on this site or TES! And somebody else (gf1 I think is his name) BS's endlessly at times - and I would hate for such chatter to "squash" all the beautiful Oblivion screenies.

A further note, though off-topic to this poll, I do wish the screenies would be limited to one or two IMGs/post and all the rest of the shots were links or preferably thumbnails. And to also allow some text, like as in Soul_Slayer's cool story - as long as it is mainly thumbnailed. Seeing just endless streams of img pics, especially since often times the last post link doesn't seem to work too well, can get difficult in terms of where I left off, etc. The thumbnails are a great addition, in any event, and seem like a very nice compromise.

Edit: And then again, maybe I shouldn't have even voted since I just got so busy that I am having a hard time commenting and posting much of anything - though I am very much enjoying the pics and others' comments.

Edited by greatfool1, 24 May 2007 - 08:05 PM.

#4 SeV

SeV
  • Modder
  • 390 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 08:49 PM

well, the shots are limited to 3 rite now and the rest links.... I don't know how popular going even lower to say, 1 or 2 might be...

My avatar courtesy of my own little personal artist, Rumms

#5 sanityCheck

sanityCheck
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 09:00 PM

I like greatfool1's idea. Having just one full pic and the rest links or small thumbs would make things easier. Regarding separate thread for comments, I guess it's fine for now. As mentioned, it's nice to be able to go off topic sometimes and not hinder the screenshots. Unfortunately it also interrupts the image->comment->comment->etc. flow because some folks don't provide a link to what shot they're commenting to. But as long as they do link, it's all good.

On that note, I can't seem to get the post link to work properly. When I manually copy the post link (when you click on the post # on the upper right of a post) and make a link to that address, it doesn't always jump to that post. Anybody else having this problem? Could just be a Firefox thing.

Example:

Here's a link to a random post. This is Treetop Smoker's post #70 on PoOC #8.
Link

When I click on that link, it takes me to the end of greatfool1's post #64.
If I leave that open and click on that link again, it takes me to the middle of Flucidity's post #75.
They both have the proper address and anchor though, so when I press Enter on the address bar or click on my browser's (Firefox) "go" button, it takes me to the correct post.

:WTF: :blink:

#6 Xetirox

Xetirox

The other Black Swordsman

• 74 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 09:01 PM

Shrinking the number of IMG tags again might be very unpopular, but it may be a necessary evil in the future if we decide to keep the comments separated. Even limited to three per post, there's still a lot of them loading up per page. That's not important right now (to me), and I would still prefer the separated threads. The last thread got a little spammy at some point, not to mention there were even a number of side conversations that didn't entirely have to do with Oblivion screenshots (even I was guilty of that), and I don't think that's something a merged thread can really handle.

Edited by Xetirox, 24 May 2007 - 09:14 PM.

"Even if I forcibly replace everything I've lost, they won't go back to normal."
-Guts, episode 287

The Threads of Causality have been tied! This topic is branded for sacrifice!

#7 VanQa

VanQa
  • 289 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 09:12 PM

I like how it is now :)

Posted Image
-o0o- My Photobucket -o00-

#8 Soul_Slayer

Soul_Slayer
  • Modder
  • 981 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 09:36 PM

I think it works rather well the way it is now, if the threads are re-merged back into one again, they will fly by like no one's business again.

Just my 1/2 cent.

#9 Daiyoukai Ramza

Daiyoukai Ramza
  • 63 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 02:54 AM

I vote for keeping the threads separate, for reasons other people have stated; namely to avoid people's pics getting passed over, and to allow off-topic randomness, like that kitty-related thing that I logged onto recently. That's probably the most confused I've been since my high school days. :WTF:

Also... there's a three attached pic per post limit now? Ack! I didn't know that. Sorry about posting a bunch of almost-fullsize pics recently. :bi: I deserve a spanking. :new_bottom:

Posted ImageTake the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

You Are a Ham Sandwich

Posted Image

You are quiet, understated, and a great comfort to all of your friends.
Over time, you have proven yourself as loyal and steadfast.
And you are by no means boring. You do well in any situation - from fancy to laid back.

Your best friend: The Turkey Sandwich

Your mortal enemy: The Grilled Cheese Sandwich

#10 Spike4072

Spike4072
  • 612 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 02:56 AM

Also... there's a three attached pic per post limit now? Ack! I didn't know that. Sorry about posting a bunch of almost-fullsize pics recently. :bi: I deserve a spanking. :new_bottom:

Yes it is posted in big red letters in the OP :lol: but dont worry you are not the only person to not see it.

#11 Daiyoukai Ramza

Daiyoukai Ramza
  • 63 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 04:52 AM

Yes it is posted in big red letters in the OP :lol: but dont worry you are not the only person to not see it.

Hrm, well, considering the fact that I usually skip right to the last page and work my way back to whatever page was the last one during my last login, it's not surprising I missed it... oh well, live and learn.

I used the word "last" far too many times in the previous sentence.

Posted ImageTake the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

You Are a Ham Sandwich

Posted Image

You are quiet, understated, and a great comfort to all of your friends.
Over time, you have proven yourself as loyal and steadfast.
And you are by no means boring. You do well in any situation - from fancy to laid back.

Your best friend: The Turkey Sandwich

Your mortal enemy: The Grilled Cheese Sandwich

#12 Hector the Hooded

Hector the Hooded

Lord of the Nazgūl

• Modder
  • 1164 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 05:27 AM

Many people didn't see it, that is the issue.

A lot of people just skip the OP, they sey a big ol' boring paragraph and think "Blah, blah, no point in reading this crap!" and just go on through. Which is an issue, but one thay can't quite be dealt with. We can't really force people to read the OP! :rolleyes:

#13 greatfool1

greatfool1
  • 351 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 05:30 AM

On that note, I can't seem to get the post link to work properly. When I manually copy the post link (when you click on the post # on the upper right of a post) and make a link to that address, it doesn't always jump to that post. Anybody else having this problem? Could just be a Firefox thing.

Example:

Here's a link to a random post. This is Treetop Smoker's post #70 on PoOC #8.
Link

When I click on that link, it takes me to the end of greatfool1's post #64.
If I leave that open and click on that link again, it takes me to the middle of Flucidity's post #75.
They both have the proper address and anchor though, so when I press Enter on the address bar or click on my browser's (Firefox) "go" button, it takes me to the correct post.

:WTF: :blink:

I posted something like this in response to Chiglet the other day - and now it resides in the SS Guides thread:

Regarding linking to other posts
(and also using img tags, which are not active in TES):

Still can't get the linky thing on this site to work right.

Here is what works for me, using your latest post as an example:

Your <snipped> post:

<Snip>
Listening for termites?
Posted Image
Chiglet :ph34r:

To link to your post in the Screenies thread, go to the top of the page, and copy the url, and subtract 1 from the post #:

Top of page = http://www.shsforums...p...26842&st=40

Your post is #49. Therefore reference 48 (because I imagine the counter is dealing with the number of replies not the op):
http://www.shsforums...p...26842&st=48
add the "url" as follows:
[url=http://www.shsforums.net/index.php?showtopic=26842&st=48]Chiglet[/url]
to yield this:
Chiglet
Funny caption! I am finding the shot a bit too dark for my monitors though.

I think I will put this info in the SS Guides thread for future reference. If anyone has a faster way that works to do this linking, please let us know.

#14 Chiglet

Chiglet
  • 405 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 08:13 AM

Didn't think I would, but I rather like the 3 full size image and the rest links or thumbnails deal. If I don't have a lot of time to look at the pics at the moment, I can at least see 1 - 3 of people's pics, and then come back later and look at the others. I also like keeping the threads separate cause i like "listening" to the chatter. Much of it really brings a smile to my face. And greatfool1, if i didn't say it before, thank you for that info on the linkage stuff. That's been a big help for me.

Chiglet :ph34r:

#15 kalia

kalia
  • 454 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 08:57 AM

I can't decide which way I like it better. On the one hand, threads with comments merged in fly by. On the other hand, it's so much easier to follow everything when it's one thread - I can pop up my "replying to" tab, and then go through the whole thread & comment on pictures & on replies, all at once. I guess I'm not so bothered by 3 or 4 pages of conversation between images. I've never really been an on-topic kind of girl, in RL or online. Truly, if only I had a cape, I'd be Tangent Girl.

Re: the linkage thingy - what Greatfool1 says does work, and I actually found it really easy. If linking to people's posts when commenting, rather than linking to specific pics, I just copy the top link, then use that same copy each time as the link, changing to the appropriate number. I don't have to copy a link for each post I'm commenting on. However, I find Xetirox (who is perhaps a new Master Commenter) (joining Chiglet & the rest of our dedicated Commenter Squad) to have a very good system as well - the old bolding of original poster's name, with a link to specific pics.

#16 sanityCheck

sanityCheck
  • 45 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 09:15 AM

Thanks greatfool1 for that information. Sorry, didn't know it was already discussed before.

:zzz: <-- a bit slow

#17 kalia

kalia
  • 454 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 09:17 AM

Thanks greatfool1 for that information. Sorry, didn't know it was already discussed before.

No worries, sanityCheck - I don't know if it's been put in part of the OP or anything, and it's hard to keep up on *every* comment in the comments thread & all the piccies! Or at least for me it is.

#18 greatfool1

greatfool1
  • 351 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 11:03 AM

:lol:
No problem - that is why I stuff things into the SS Guides thread. One of these days I must reindex that huge pile of information we have all contributed to.