Photo

Please let me know if I can multiplayer in BG2 portion of BGT

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Zo'Garth

Zo'Garth
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 02:29 PM

I tried to start a multiplayer game for BG2 but there doesn't seem to be an option for it.  When i start a multiplayer game it only starts off in BG1  :wacko:

Edited by Zo'Garth, 01 June 2007 - 12:45 PM.

Its better to burn out.... than to fade away!

#2 Bloodtitan

Bloodtitan
  • 406 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 08:14 AM

i'm actually facing the same problem at the moment. bump and request for comment?

#3 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 08:36 AM

To get a game in the BG2 portion of the BGT game, you need to have a save game that's in the BG2 portion of the game, and thus why do you use the BGT :blink: , cause the BGT is the BG1 portion of the game. So if you want to start a new game in the BG2, you need to either have a savegame that's there, or move the char there, via the CLUAConsole and level him up. To start the game with the savegame, you need to make sure it works, and then go back to windows(or whatever OS you use) and copy/paste the save from the 'save' directory to 'mpsave' directory, and start the game again, load the multiplayer game and edit the charname by deleting him on the character selection screen and then making the new char(s) and continue to the actual game, after which you still need to level the chars up via the Console.

And to get ahead with the MP, you need first to input/configure the right protocol. TCP/IP. :doh:

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 24 March 2008 - 08:50 AM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#4 Bloodtitan

Bloodtitan
  • 406 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 08:40 AM

that is not the problem. the GUI does not allow you to pick a BG2 Multiplayer game with having BGT installed. all multiplayer games seem to start in BG1 by default.

i wanted to start a BG2 multiplayer game with having BGT installed.

#5 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 09:00 AM

Ahh, so you are using the former tutorial rote to get to the BG2. So do the thing that I edited to the post above. Start the game wih the single player rote, save the game, and then exit to windows, copy/paste the save inside the 'save' directory to 'mpsave' directory, and start the game again, load the multiplayer game and edit the charname by deleting him on the character selection screen and then making the new char(s) and continue to the actual game, after which you still need to level the chars up via the Console, and perhaps copy the save from the 'mpsave' directory to 'save' directory if you don't always want to play the mp-part of the fiasco but want to create the whole party. :whistling:

#6 Bloodtitan

Bloodtitan
  • 406 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 09:09 AM

the reason is i want to test if NeJ in my install is fully working. also, at times i just feel like starting a bg2 game, single or multi, with a bgt install. there should be a button, frankly.

EDIT: solution was a bit easier than you described, i simply had to copy/paste a BG2 singleplayer save and import CREs

Edited by Bloodtitan, 24 March 2008 - 09:13 AM.

#7 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 12:07 PM

EDIT: solution was a bit easier than you described, i simply had to copy/paste a BG2 singleplayer save and import CREs

:rtfm: , YOU HAVE CHEATED! As you should know, the characters get their Bhallspawn powers, when you create them durring the BG2 single player creation, and thus you get them all in the multiplayer game.

OK, I always wanted to use that smily. :D :P

#8 Bloodtitan

Bloodtitan
  • 406 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 12:59 PM

that's not correct. the CREs were from the beginning of BG1 (multiplayer game) where no bhaalpowers are present. i imported the CREs and applied sufficient exps, that's all.

#9 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 01:56 AM

I cannot make this any easier, sorry.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#10 Bloodtitan

Bloodtitan
  • 406 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 03:04 AM

oh.. nevermind then. i thought it would be an oversight, an inconsistency in the GUI since you are allowed to start a new bg2 game or a new bg game (where you can pick single or multi).

still got a problem solved and provided food for the search function :).

#11 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 04:31 AM

Yeah, an engine limitation prevents me from making things better, unfortunately.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#12 Marvin

Marvin

Marvin

• 197 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:23 AM

Couldn't you include an mpsave for SoA in your BGT mod, so users do not have to edit them theirselves?

Marvin

#13 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 03:39 AM

Couldn't you include an mpsave for SoA in your BGT mod, so users do not have to edit them theirselves?

Marvin

Wouldn't that fix the characters in the multiplayer game?

--------------
Retired Modder

#14 --EarthquakeDamage--

--EarthquakeDamage--

Posted 27 March 2008 - 06:45 PM

Wouldn't that fix the characters in the multiplayer game?

The only drawback here is that certain script variables and such will be permanently fixed based on the character originally in the save (e.g. romance compatibilities). The party can be reconfigured in a MP game whenever you can save (not during battle, nor in certain locations), including IIRC Player 1 (though I could be wrong there, as it's been some 4 years since I last played MP). I think replacing P1 will give the new P1 the initial six Bhaalspawn abilities. Unfortunately, it will not adjust your abilities for soul loss, Slayer change, and ToB Bhaalspawn abilities.

On a side note, it's quite fun to give all PCs in the party those six Bhaalspawn powers by giving them each a turn as P1. They aren't particularly powerful in mid-SoA onward (exception: DUHM). It does make your non-P1 PCs stand out from the crowd, though.

#15 Marvin

Marvin

Marvin

• 197 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:33 AM

In fact.
You can load a Multiplayer game with a fixed character and then later on change the char while playing.
The only thing is, that I think, when you create a new character, he will be lvl 1 due to BGT...

Marvin

#16 --EarthquakeDamage--

--EarthquakeDamage--

Posted 28 March 2008 - 11:57 AM

In fact.
You can load a Multiplayer game with a fixed character and then later on change the char while playing.
The only thing is, that I think, when you create a new character, he will be lvl 1 due to BGT...

Marvin

That only applies if you create a new character. You can always import an existing one (perhaps a level 7-8 one exported from a new SP SoA game) instead.

#17 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:41 PM

he will be lvl 1 due to BGT...

But you can fix that with this. It comes with it's readme so read it! This is all thanks to an old BGT version.

#18 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 02:12 PM

he will be lvl 1 due to BGT...

But you can fix that with this. It comes with it's readme so read it! This is all thanks to an old BGT version.

Well, BGT wasn't meant to allow your characters to have a customisable start XP.
As for MP, import from save or copying save to mpsave are both quite feasible and doesn't involve all that much effort, IMHO.

--------------
Retired Modder