• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:52 AM

This is an... unusual question pertaining to Darian, and this seems to be the right place to ask. Does anyone know if it's possible for a halfling and an elf to have children? It's an issue I'm considering with my mod, and none of my handbooks say one way or the other if elf/halfling crossbreeds are possible.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#2 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 12:10 PM

A three-quarterling? Or do elves not count as full 1/1? Maybe two-thirdling...? :huh:

...well, it's not a standard race, but that doesn't mean much. Dwarves can apparently crossbreed with humans, and you pretty much get "a tall dwarf" out of it, but I don't think I have ever seen any official info on elf/halfling.

I'd say go for it - if nothing else, post-ToB (I'm guessing that's the time we're talking about here), you're powerful enough to bend or break most rules.

(There might be more info in the complete guide to unlawful carnal knowledge, but I don't think that's official material... :twisted:)

#3 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 12:27 PM

Yes, it's meant for Darian/Mazzy epilogue material, but I also want them to have a discussion about settling down and maybe raising a family. Sad thing is, I actually know where that guide is online (here, courtesy of Flarn on the Gibberlings3 board who linked it in a thread over there), and it certainly implies halflings and elves can have children, though I'd be very surprised if anyone specifically considered the possibility of a halfling and a winged elf having children...

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#4 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 12:45 PM

At the very least they could adopt. *Shrug*
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#5 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 12:51 PM

That's what I was going to have them do if anyone had any official word that halflings and elves weren't cross-fertile, actually. :)

#6 minotaur_in_maze

minotaur_in_maze

Modding Prima-Dona

• 906 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 12:55 PM

I think it should certainly be possible to stretch the rules so to speak.

Logically though, between the two, wouldn't the uhm, size/height/weight differential present, ahhh, problems? :whistling:

MiM - Having trouble picturing it. :crying: :unsure:
They say the world is going to Hell.

They are wrong.

The world IS Hell! Always has been, always will be; except perhaps for the five percent or so of the population who can afford differently.

And, if one must reside in Hell, it is far better to do it as a minion of the Devil than as a member of the damned.
LOVE SUCKS: It makes fools and slaves of us all.
But being alone and unloved is worse.
- Nancy A. Collins "Thin Walls"

#7 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 01:08 PM

Not really, MiM. Elves are a bit smaller than humans, and it presents no problems, so why would size present a problem for a halfling and an elf (and Avariel are a bit smaller than other elves, to boot)? In terms of size, a halfling is to an elf as an elf is to a human.

#8 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 01:38 PM

I think it should certainly be possible to stretch the rules so to speak.

>_< ... :fish:

Logically though, between the two, wouldn't the uhm, size/height/weight differential present, ahhh, problems? :whistling:

MiM - Having trouble picturing it. :crying: :unsure:

Weight is not an issue if the halfling goes on top. Besides, elves are just skin and bone anyway. Now, a half-orc, that might be problematic.

But seriously, the worst part is how uncomfortable it would be for a halfling to carry a child that's part "bigger" race. On the other hand, elves (being 3/8ths Mary Sue) have a special "smooth pregnancy" gene. (It's true, I swear!) And if there's a problem... well, that's what clerics are for, right?

If all else fails, they could always get a friendly wizard to polymorph him into a halfling for a few hours.

Not really, MiM. Elves are a bit smaller than humans, and it presents no problems, so why would size present a problem for a halfling and an elf (and Avariel are a bit smaller than other elves, to boot)? In terms of size, a halfling is to an elf as an elf is to a human.

FR elves are special, though, if you believe the "complete book of elves":
cboelves.png
(Although an Avariel would probably be smaller under 2E rules as well.)

#9 Rabain

Rabain

God

• 653 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 01:46 PM

Did i read somewhere that the offspring of an elf and halfling is called an elfling?

Sounds better that Helf anyway.

G.E.L.F anyone?:)
A knight without armour in a savage land...

#10 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 01:51 PM

I might have to just leave this issue ambiguous in the epilogue, and have them both discuss the dangers and uncertainty inherent in this during their conversation-they're not about to try having kids on the road, even if they can (mentally kicks Aerie again for not using contraceptive herbs like her intelligence and wisdom scores should have told her to, especially during her rare period of fertility, being an elf...)

#11 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 01:53 PM

Myth-Drannor.net had an entry on elf-halfling hybrids, though it's down now and I don't remember the details. But yes, it is possible. I doubt the wings would be inherited though; I think they're a magical trait and FR heredity has only the most cursory resemblance to real-world genetics (for instance, many of the bloodline feats I've seen posit Lamarckian inheritance of characters O.o)

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#12 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 01:57 PM

Nope, for the Avariel, their wings are a simple genetic part of their heritage, along with their hollow bones. Wingspan, feather color, etc. all vary by the individual Avariel. Half-Avariel usually do have wings, though they rarely develop fully enough to allow flight.

#13 Kellen

Kellen

• 7092 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 06:35 PM

Myth-Drannor.net had an entry on elf-halfling hybrids, though it's down now and I don't remember the details. But yes, it is possible. I doubt the wings would be inherited though; I think they're a magical trait and FR heredity has only the most cursory resemblance to real-world genetics (for instance, many of the bloodline feats I've seen posit Lamarckian inheritance of characters O.o)

But there is this special webhosting program which has preserved it. Happy Click

Elflings are unofficial. <--(link) :mellow:

Edited by Kellen, 31 May 2007 - 06:35 PM.

"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

#14 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 06:45 PM

Thanks, Kellen-that may be useful if I ever decide to make an elfling for PnP, but I'm afraid it's not much help for this issue, other than also giving the green light for halfling-elven crossbreeds. I was mainly interested in if it was possible or not, since Mazzy doesn't become pregnant in-game, but it looks like there's no real reason it shouldn't be possible.

#15 minotaur_in_maze

minotaur_in_maze

Modding Prima-Dona

• 906 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 06:48 PM

Hmmm, and how about a halfling and a minotaur? :whistling:

But seriously, my thing is, I just Cannot imagine Mazzy Fenton doing something as Un-palidinish as to.... (AHEM! :whistling: - Though I did have a dream once of her an Anomen getting together.)

On the subject of wings, (and this I really *Don't know) wouldn't Any types of wings present problems for a non Averiel in childbirth? Or, do they come from eggs?

You really want to...research the, uhm, problem, go to G3 and DL "Triangle Mod" for pointers...

Minotaur - Suddenly having WAY impure thoughts about halflings. (EGAD!)

They are wrong.

The world IS Hell! Always has been, always will be; except perhaps for the five percent or so of the population who can afford differently.

And, if one must reside in Hell, it is far better to do it as a minion of the Devil than as a member of the damned.

#16 Solstice

Solstice

Fluffy Pink Bunny

• 956 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 07:20 PM

MiM, please tell me Drellos isn't having naughty thoughts about Kalinsa...

And I don't see why Darian and Mazzy wouldn't be able to have kids. Darian worships the elven goddess of fertility, doesn't he? By the end of ToB, he can probably solve any pregnancy issue with the right prayer. :)
"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!" -Charname, Baldur's Gate 1

"Power corrupts. And absolute power is actually pretty neat." -Tom Clancy

"Is it possible to take Favored Enemy: Forum Poster?" -Someone who shall remain anonymous

#17 Kellen

Kellen

• 7092 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 07:28 PM

No! She's not available!

Uh, why should I have to suffer to share the only conversationalist in the party with a minotaur buffoon, who tries to call himself a wizard.

Actually I really like thinking of them having children. I don't care if they're blood children or adopted, humans, halflings, gnomes, avariel, dwarves, and the occaisional others too.

#18 Solstice

Solstice

Fluffy Pink Bunny

• 956 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 07:38 PM

You mean Kalinsa's going to have the minotaur and the evil elf after her?! Note to self: learn the invisibility spell asap. (Kalinsa's my cute little halfling bardling and Harper in the Classic Dungeons thing).

I also second the idea of Mazzy and Darian having kids. It seems like a wonderful end to their tale, and I think they'd be great parents.
"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!" -Charname, Baldur's Gate 1

"Power corrupts. And absolute power is actually pretty neat." -Tom Clancy

"Is it possible to take Favored Enemy: Forum Poster?" -Someone who shall remain anonymous

#19 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 07:48 PM

You should talk to one of my friends, Solstice. On one campaign we played, her gnome rogue had the misfortune of being the only female in the group, with a high charisma and all the conversational skills to boot. The dwarven battlerager, aasimar psychic warrior, and elf sorcerer all pursued her rather relentlessly...

On the subject of wings, (and this I really *Don't know) wouldn't Any types of wings present problems for a non Averiel in childbirth? Or, do they come from eggs?

Avariel aren't born with wings. They grow and develop with the child, reaching full size and strength with adolesence.

And thanks for the encouragement of the idea, all. I really do like happy endings, and want Mazzy and Darian to have one (to compensate for a couple of Darian's *other* endings...)

#20 minotaur_in_maze

minotaur_in_maze

Modding Prima-Dona

• 906 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 12:42 PM

MiM, please tell me Drellos isn't having naughty thoughts about Kalinsa...

Wow. Up until now I have always thought that conveying Emotion through mere text was difficult.

In this case, Solstice, you have proven me wrong. RARELY have I ever "heard" anyone sound More Offeneded in my life. (Well, perhaps my RL wife after I mentioned wedding plans... :doh: ...)

No, my intnetions are honorable. I consider the Kalinsa to be a dear friend though. :)

Minotaur. *(Drellos, Special FEAT: Ability to repulse females of Any race, apparently. :( )

:hug:

They are wrong.