Photo

What is the saddest thing you have done while playing BG?

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#1 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

Order of Radiant Ugliness

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 02:42 PM

Well I have to admit, when starting my umpteenth run through BG2 recently in order to get a bunch of strategically placed save games in order to test Chrysta dialogues, I had to come up with some self-imposed restrictions to make the game more fun and more of a challenge. So I decided to:
  • Install all the "extra challenge" mods I could, such as Unfinished Business, Tactics, Divine Remix (restricted clerical spheres), etc.

• Not reload under ANY circumstances unless the PC himself died.

• Try to ROLE PLAY reasons why I was doing things - so no randomly checking every barrel and case in the street, donating money as tithes to temples as I was a paladin, reacting to things I was ASKED to do rather than just going where I knew quests and items were, etc.

• Play on Core rules
It has certainly been a challenge, particularly as I have already lost a couple of "chunked" (i.e. non-resurrectable) NPCs... I could live with a chunked Korgan, but when Minsc got chunked JUST before the end of the climactic battle with the Slaver Lords I nearly cried. In fact I was so sad that I CLUAConsoled Boo into my PCs Quick Slot because I knew Minsc would want me to take good care of him. And here is the proof:

Posted Image

So it got me thinking - has anyone else done anything while playing that resulted in them turning round at a later date and saying to themselves "Gee I am such a dork - IT IS ONLY A GAME!".

So, the sad BG2 addict confessional is open. Any takers? :)

KACH_TS.jpg Chrysta... could helping her to uncover her past threaten your own future?

"Pity the land in need of Heroes."- Bertolt Brecht
"A little madness, now and then, is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka

#2 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 02:53 PM

Saddest...? Probably to stop playing BG1 after messing around with Duke What'shisface and his auto-kill script that A: forces you to talk to him, since he's the only one who will advance the plot, and B: agree to work for him, since doing anything else results in a GAME OVER SCREEN. :wall: :wall: :wall:

...I hate that miserable pile of code so much. I wonder if I should seek therapy. :huh:

#3 Delight

Delight
  • 660 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 03:28 PM

Playing BG.

#4 minotaur_in_maze

minotaur_in_maze

Modding Prima-Dona

• 906 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 03:46 PM

I once tried to play the game as an Evil character.

I got so bad that Aerie, Minsc and Mazzy all LEFT my party.

I feel bad about that to this day.

I AM a nice person in Real Life.

I am.
I Am!
I AM!!!!! :blink:

Minotaur Feeling dejected. (Sniff)
They say the world is going to Hell.

They are wrong.

The world IS Hell! Always has been, always will be; except perhaps for the five percent or so of the population who can afford differently.

And, if one must reside in Hell, it is far better to do it as a minion of the Devil than as a member of the damned.
LOVE SUCKS: It makes fools and slaves of us all.
But being alone and unloved is worse.
- Nancy A. Collins "Thin Walls"

#5 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 03:51 PM

Ah yes, leaving the party... that reminds me of my FIRST run-through when I didn't take Yoshimo with me to Brynnlaw, so had a full party when it came time to pick up Imoen. Having to leave a member of my party (I think it might even have been Aerie!) alone in the Spellhold dungeon left me so distraught that I had to reload from before we left Athkatla so I could leave them in a safe place!

Jeez... there really is no hope for me is there? :unsure:

KACH_TS.jpg Chrysta... could helping her to uncover her past threaten your own future?

#6 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 04:13 PM

I always feel angry at that %#$^% duke. And feel sad about having to see how Jon tortures Imoen.

Retired from modding.

#7 Gabrielle

Gabrielle

Do what thou wilt

• 1567 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 04:27 PM

I didn't save after a couple of hours of game play. The power went out. When the power came back on I went to reload the game and there was nothing recent except the last time I played which was the day before. :crying:
For all of your BG modding needs: Chosen of Mystra.

This is The End.

#8 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 04:31 PM

Ah yes, leaving the party... that reminds me of my FIRST run-through when I didn't take Yoshimo with me to Brynnlaw, so had a full party when it came time to pick up Imoen. Having to leave a member of my party (I think it might even have been Aerie!) alone in the Spellhold dungeon left me so distraught that I had to reload from before we left Athkatla so I could leave them in a safe place!

Jeez... there really is no hope for me is there? :unsure:

Oh, man, I've done something even worse: deliberately saved her a seat, even though I knew my sub-optimal party would have trouble with it.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#9 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 05:54 PM

Reloaded repeatedly to save as many NPC bystanders (the people running across the bridge in Saradush, the servants killed by scripted trolls in Nalia's castle, etc.) as I could, sometimes using CTRL+Y if I determined it was just too big a waste of time doing it the long way, become rather annoyed upon determining that with some of the scripted events there was no way to prevent them occurring.

I'm just glad the BG series didn't have Striders. That would have been a frickin' nightmare for NPC-saving.

(By way of explanation, Striders are alien tripod-tank-things in Half-Life 2. They're huge, require multiple rockets to destroy, are invulnerable to anything but explosive-type weapons, and while easy enough to evade with intelligent use of cover and scouting are incredibly efficient at killing anything stupid enough to run out in the open and stand relatively still, firing any weapons it carries whether they're effective against the Strider or not--a category of game entities that includes all player-allied NPCs except for a few unique characters. Some "good guy" deaths, as a result, simply aren't preventable even with extensive cheating. They might as well be scripted like the troll-killing-servant incidents. x.x)

Edited by Azkyroth, 31 May 2007 - 05:55 PM.

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#10 cmorgan

cmorgan
  • Modder
  • 2301 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 06:05 PM

I hate to admit it, but...

I have never played a completely non-reload game.
I have tried, and tried, but I can't. The moment one of my party is toast, I can resist if I am close to town and can immediately ressurect them - and if the party can do it, I will take destruction and loss of items, etc., but

*I* *will* *not* *let* *them* *be* *chunked*.

Someday, I will be strong enough to allow it, but so far, that day has not come.

#11 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 06:08 PM

I hate to admit it, but...

I have never played a completely non-reload game.
I have tried, and tried, but I can't. The moment one of my party is toast, I can resist if I am close to town and can immediately ressurect them - and if the party can do it, I will take destruction and loss of items, etc., but

*I* *will* *not* *let* *them* *be* *chunked*.

Someday, I will be strong enough to allow it, but so far, that day has not come.

What on earth for? O.o

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#12 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 07:01 PM

Am I the only one who missed the betrayals of both Yoshimo and Mellisan coming the first time?

Sad things. I read the novels? Wait playing.

I once tried one of the, go ahead attack options during the Jaheira ambush. :cry: :cry: :Cry: I felt so bad there. So dirty and unclean.

Edited by Kellen, 31 May 2007 - 07:02 PM.

"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#13 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:10 PM

The voice acting in ToB made me sad.
DO ~SetGlobal("omgBbqRomanceActive","GLOBAL", 2)~

Gibberlings Three - IE Modding Community

#14 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:36 PM

Am I the only one who missed the betrayals of both Yoshimo and Mellisan coming the first time?

I was devastated over Yoshimo's betrayal. And the fact that I had to kill him - the saddest in the game.
(Don't bring Yoshimo to life, people. Just don't).

Also, I've never been able to continue playing Xan's bonded path into ToB. If I had to test something, I just started a new ToB game.

#15 Tassadar88

Tassadar88

Templar in Flames

• 1302 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 12:30 AM

Actually, before my second run through Spellhold, when I was thinking how to get room for Immy and had not taken Yoshi, I decided to dump Valygar after much consideration-I decided that he was the most likely of my party to make it out intact ;) (and still I was so sad for having left him there) Yoshi hurt, Melissan was kinda - predictable? :unsure:
The Mind is its own place and in itself - can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven. -John Milton, Paradise lost

#16 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 12:38 AM

I believed Melly the first time, myself. I's funny: before Solar revealed her unpleasant side( "I am here. Speak quickly.") I thought her portrait looked nice and kind. Immediately after the speech I've started to think it was looking nasty, and still think so.

But then again, when I was playing for the first time, I wasn't paying much attention to the plot - rather, to the loot, and to my companions. That's why Yoshimo hurt, but Irenicus-Ellesime exchange left me cold. I was rather surprised by the offer of godhood, too, because I half-expected: "Well, I killed them all. Let's kill this crazy woman and go home." - which I did in the end.

#17 Mayro

Mayro
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 01:33 AM

The saddest thing in Bg 2 for me is Viconia's epilogue. Even if it's something that could have happened any time, it hurts. You go through her tort... ehemm, romance to get that sad ending. Only for that I almost always install Edwin-ToB alternate Viconia's epilogue if I plan to romance her. It's way much better. I'm a good-endings addict.

Yoshimo's end is also very disgusting. Not only I like him a lot, he is very powerfull and his end is a real pain.

The most sad thing I did and always do is trying to install new romance mods for my male PC (female mods) to later not being capable of not romancing Jaheira, I'm so attached to her that it hurts me to:

-don't take her into the party (appart from her usefulness which for me is very high), I feel like betraying her. The same happens with Minsc and Imoen, I feel that they are my friends and have put their, possible without me peaceful lives, at danger for me that I'm not able to leave them or to get they chunked. I always reload if that happens.

-don't romance her and decide for another female. Yes, she can be annoying at times, but SHE IS JAHEIRA!!! She is lefting her organisation for you, fighting all kind of internal conflicts for you.

So you can see, I'm totally sick with this game. I will never be able to stop playing it. It's a drug.
Speaking is not communication.

Excusatio non petita, acusatio manifiesta.

#18 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 02:20 AM

The saddest thing in Bg 2 for me is Viconia's epilogue. Even if it's something that could have happened any time, it hurts. You go through her tort... ehemm, romance to get that sad ending. Only for that I almost always install Edwin-ToB alternate Viconia's epilogue if I plan to romance her. It's way much better. I'm a good-endings addict.

There is an alternative happy ending for Viconia??? Wheeeee! :D

<runs off to put his downloading hat on>

#19 Solaufein

Solaufein

No fate but what we make

• Modder
  • 263 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 04:06 AM

ToB made me sad because it was nothing like Tales of the Sword Coast was with BG. Played through it until the end and it was like, that's it?
Her lips were red, her looks were free
Her locks were as yellow as gold
Her skin was white as leprosy.
The Nightmare Life-in-Death was she,
Who thicks man's blood with cold.

Samuel Taylor Coleridge

http://teambg.net
The Undying

#20 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 04:11 AM

I don't actually remember if Yoshimo surprised me (sheesh, it's been ages), but I definitely knew I would want to off Smelly Melly sooner or later. I don't think I suspected her of being involved with the Five, but I was quite certain she'd turn out to be a villain, or at least, annoying enough that I would have to kill her anyway. (Either that, or I would have to curse loudly at the game for making her unkillable, just like everybody ELSE I really want to kill.)

Personally, the saddest thing about it is the way it's handled, with no regard for the PC's ability. I don't mind her dying - it happens - but having her poisoned and with enough time to have last words with the PC? When my character is a 30th-level mage? A more proper version of the "final words" would be something like this:

Viconia: O noes, I have been poisoned and am dying! Good bye, cruel world, etc, etc.
PC: I really Wish you wouldn't.
Viconia: Huh. Well, it seems I'm not dying anymore. Damn you, PC! I had a really good monologue prepared and all!
PC: Let me make it up to you with several hours of hot monkey sex.
Lolth: Curses! Foiled again!