Photo

How does Imprisonment work?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mayro

Mayro
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 02:29 AM

Ok, I know the base of that spell. Your enemy end imprisoned under the ground for ages until he/she is released by a freedom spell. Well, my question is: What happens with the imprisoned one? Does he/she stay alive all that time? Does he/she age as if he/she hasn't been imprisoned? Can you die if imprisoned? (I know how the game handles this, it is as if you died or you killed your enemy in terms of having to reload or earning XP)

Do you sense in any way (being a spellcaster or not) that near you is an imprisoned one?

I'm gathering some information about that spell as a possibly idea for my only-God-knows-when-it-will-be-done mod and I would thank as many information as possible.

Thanks in advance!
Speaking is not communication.

Excusatio non petita, acusatio manifiesta.

#2 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 06:17 AM

This is the 3E version, but:

When you cast imprisonment and touch a creature, it is entombed in a state of suspended animation (see the temporal stasis spell) in a small sphere far beneath the surface of the earth. The subject remains there unless a freedom spell is cast at the locale where the imprisonment took place. Magical search by a crystal ball, a locate object spell, or some other similar divination does not reveal the fact that a creature is imprisoned, but discern location does. A wish or miracle spell will not free the recipient, but will reveal where it is entombed. If you know the target?s name and some facts about its life, the target takes a -4 penalty on its save.

And Temporal Stasis:

For the creature, time ceases to flow and its condition becomes fixed. The creature does not grow older. Its body functions virtually cease, and no force or effect can harm it. This state persists until the magic is removed (such as by a successful dispel magic spell or a freedom spell).

In other words, the victim is frozen in time until released, at which point they emerge just as they were when they were imprisoned.

http://www.d20srd.org/ is handy. :)

It doesn't seem like there's anything in particular that would let a mage sense the presence of imprisoned creatures. Given that the spell was made to get rid of people at least semi-permanently and is a 9th-level spell, I'd rule against it, personally. The caster doesn't want anyone digging up the guy he imprisoned.

(By the way, in AD&D 2E, I'm pretty sure a Wish can break imprisonment. If nothing else, you should be able to use it to imitate the "Freedom" spell.)