The Emperor and I

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Rumpleteasza

Rumpleteasza

Bargain-Bin Bondgirl

• 288 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:54 AM

This is more text than screenies, but there are still quite a few, so I thought it probably ought to be here instead of in the Scribbles on the Wall section. This main quest narrative starts at the closing of the Kvatch Gate, and will go on indefinitely until I can't write any more/run out of inspiration/die/get bored/am distracted by something shiny.

The first part of the story, ie finding and closing the Kvatch Gate, is picture-only. I posted it in the screenies threads, but most of them have been archived now, so I'll post all the pictures here in thumbnails. Bear with me... there's quite a lot!

Arriving at the camp
Posted Image

Posted Image

Oh shoot, something's wrong here.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Matius' warning
Posted Image

Posted Image

The Gate
Posted Image

Posted Image

Startled by the lightning
Posted Image

Channelling Frodo. "What must I do?"
Posted Image

Well... close the bugger'd be best, really.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Obligatory pre-Gate emo moment. Oh goddd, what have I gotten myself into?
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Into the fire...
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Meeting Ilend: not the world's happiest guy
Posted Image

Posted Image

Decision; we'll go together!
Posted Image

Posted Image

Carnage...
Posted Image

Posted Image

Moral support
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Knock knock, little piggy...
Posted Image

I'll huff and I'll puff...
Posted Image

Into the belly of the beast
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Finding Menian
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Keep
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Sigil Stone...

Posted Image

(I know everyone's familliar with the main quest and stuff... but stick with me! I'll try and make it interesting, I promise ^_^)

Edited by Rumpleteasza, 20 August 2008 - 06:58 AM.

New avatar in honour of SeV/Jade, because everyone knows Jade brings all the (elves? Humans? Tabaxi? Let's just say girls, shall we?) to the yard.
Well... not quite so appropriate now I changed it. Sorry, Jadikins. <3 <3

The King and I
The Emperor and I

#2 Treetop Smoker

Treetop Smoker

サクラ-絶世の美女

• 593 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:57 AM

I always enjoy a good story ! Keep it up :cheers: :)

Posted Image

#3 Rumpleteasza

Rumpleteasza

Bargain-Bin Bondgirl

• 288 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:57 AM

THE EMPEROR AND I

What Happened In Kvatch

Posted Image

Ilend was at her back, shaking like a leaf in a hurricane, his sword in guard position and betraying his trembling down the blade. Shamanih reached out her hand, feeling as if she was dead already – what would it do? Burn her? Kill her? Explode? Tear her apart? – closed it around the Sigil Stone that fizzed and spat at the apex of the Keep, and shutting her eyes, wrenched it out of its orbit.

The world went red.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Roaring – heat, wind – she couldn’t see Ilend, she couldn’t even scream – and then it was over, and she was back on the smoking ground outside the ruined walls of Kvatch. The Gate was gone.

Posted Image

Shamanih fainted.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted Image

Unluckily for her, she came to almost as soon as she hit the ground. Ilend had half-caught her and was shouting for help; vaguely, she could see Matius and the rest of the guards at the barricade racing across the scorched earth towards them. And then it was a confusion of voices – shouts of triumph and disbelief, hands around her supporting her to her feet and slapping her back in congratulations, exclamations of praise and gratitude and relief.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ilend was fast at her side, delivering the full story. “She saved Menian… it was hell. I’ve never seen… but she stuck by me, she didn’t leave…”

“I shouldn’t have asked you to stay”, mumbled Shamanih out of frozen lips, although she hardly knew what she was saying. Her vision was foggy and her mouth tasted dry as dust. She didn’t think she could have ventured further into that nightmare landscape without a friendly face to accompany her. “You could have been killed. It would have been my fault.”

“Don’t you dare!” Ilend exclaimed, sheathing his sword with a look of incredulity. “It was my duty to stay, as I truly knew but couldn’t face. You were right to expect it. And as if any of this could be your fault – you, a stranger, with no connections to Kvatch at all!”

There were nods and agreements from the guard group. The feeling was slowly coming back into Shamanih’s arms and legs; her head was clearing. She’d heard that sometimes things were so awful and shocking that the mind has to block them out, and functions almost normally again. She tried to go with the flow. It was better than the alternative.

Matius was looking at the Kvatch town gate, which they’d managed to bar hastily before the Portal had opened and cut them off from the rest of the city. “With that godforsaken Gate closed, we can finally try to break the siege in town. Tierra and Berich must still be holding their own with the other survivors in the chapel.”

“Right now?” asked one of the guards. “Ilend and the lady need rest – now the Gate’s gone…”

“Another one could open at any second!” snapped Matius. “What do we know of the nature of these Gates? They opened at random and in droves, disappearing and reappearing wherever you looked. What’s to say this one can’t open again? When all the survivors are out, the daedra inside the city are dead and we have a defensible place, then we can rest!”

He turned to Shamanih. “I know you have nothing to do with Kvatch. I know you’ve seen terrible things in that Gate, though you’ve said little enough. I know you’re exhausted. But I need your help; we need as many swords as possible to break the siege.”

Her whole body hurt. She was shocked and tired; her mind couldn’t yet process the gore and destruction she’d seen beyond the fiery portal. But how could she turn away now, and abandon them? She was an Akehane tribeleader’s daughter – she could hold her own. There was honour to think of. She had other talents than her meagre blade skills; she could finally put them to good use here.

“I’ll come with you,” she said.

Matius didn’t smile, but a grim determination set his features. “Kvatch won’t forget this. Guards – take water, something stronger if you need it – and we’ll make a path to the chapel.”

The devastation was total. For Shamanih, it was bad enough – she could not imagine what the guards, whose home this had been, were feeling as they crept through the burning ruins.

Posted Image

The chapel was fairly near the gate, but the ground before it was a flat open plaza with little cover, and Shamanih could see shapes moving beyond the burnt timbers of the surrounding houses. Shapes that reminded her of things she wanted to forget. Things that she had seen in the Oblivion Gate.

She caught up with Matius. “I’m a fairly decent mage and I’m good at staying unseen. I can help you in the melee if you want, but I don’t know how many mages you have and I thought you might benefit from someone covering your backs.”

Matius nodded. “Good. As we advance over the plaza, keep an eye and take out any incoming daedra long-range. If we can get as many as possible before they’re close enough, we’ll have a great advantage.”

Shamanih nodded and slipped away from the main party, climbing a fallen wall and ensconcing herself on the roof. This was more familiar territory, marksmanship and stealth – although she almost let a bitter laugh escape at the word ‘familiar’. Hour upon hour was sinking her into a living nightmare, and all she could hope to do was ride it out. She was so far away from normal that the life she’d had before that fateful night in prison, or even before she’d entered the Oblivion Gate three hours ago, seemed like another life altogether. One that was slipping further and further away.

Posted Image

And as she crouched on the roof, with the guard group advancing carefully below her, her eyes flicked by pure chance to the chapel, and the strangest feeling seemed to creep over her. It was one of calm – but not serene, relaxing calm - the kind of dread calm the sky takes on before a hurricane slams into the world. The kind of calm that you hear in a room of hushed expectant people, all of whom are expecting the worst.

A voice in her head said, nothing will ever be the same now. Nothing. And she knew it was true.

Posted Image

A shout from the plaza brought her back to earth with a jolt. A skittering clutch of demonic shapes bounded from the alleys – scamps, the same kind she’d seen in the Gate. All feelings of introspection now forgotten, Shamanih cast a focused shield charm on the guards, and in a snap of heightened concentration that made her head spin, hurled a ball of flame into the centre of the oncoming creatures. The explosion all at once winked out the smaller fires from the surrounding buildings, cut off by the rush of magicka.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Then it was chaos.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The guards were charging, heartened by the presence of the shield charm. Slipping from the building and landing in a cloud of dust on the flagstones, Shamanih raced after them, flitting from shadow to shadow and firing the most debilitating spells her all-but crushed magicka reserves could conjure up. Everything was noise, and light, and confusion – she turned around, heard Ilend cry out to her, looked directly into the mouth of a Clannfear, its yellow teeth sharp as knives –

Posted Image

Posted Image

- and fell back with a hoarse gasp as it reeled to one side with a shriek. Ilend had thrown his sword, and it had hit the creature directly behind the head.

She wrenched the sword free with shaking fingers, and thrust it hurriedly into the empty hands of Ilend, who had come running over. It wouldn’t do to be caught without a weapon here.

“Thank you,” she said shakily.

“Now we are even,” he tried to joke, although it fell flat in the terrible reality of the situation. She couldn’t even smile.

He helped her to her feet, and together they ran to join the others.

The chapel door clanged as Matius’ guard group fell through and slammed it shut. The few remaining figures in the hall leaped up at once, hands going to swords, but relaxed immediately as both parties recognised one another.

A tall Redguard woman in badly damaged armour strode forward and clasped Matius’ hand. “We’d just about given up hope! We were going to make a dash for it… but our numbers are so few now…”

Posted Image

“We’ve managed to clear out the daedra in the plaza,” Matius broke in. “While we still have time, the refugees here need to get out now and make for the camp at the bottom of the hill. There may be more at any moment, Tierra.”

“The Gate!” Tierra continued urgently. “Berich came down from the watchpoint a moment ago – it’s gone! What happened? And how?”

Posted Image

“It’s been closed,” Matius confirmed. “At least for now. We have Ilend and this lady to thank for that.” He gestured to Shamanih; Tierra looked at her curiously, but Matius carried on. “We don’t know if it’s shut for good, though – and if it isn’t, how long it will be until it opens again. Time is of the essence. If you can spare a few of your officers, leave two to get the refugees out of the city, and the others to come with us. We have to break the siege now, while we have a slight advantage.”

Shamanih, her head beginning to swim again, was looking around the chapel – and suddenly caught sight of a solitary figure among the rest of the civilian refugees, sitting in a pew at the far end of the knave, his head bowed over his hands. Her earlier conversation with Matius rung in her ears.

Posted Image

“Did you by any chance see what happened to the priest, Brother Martin?”

“He didn’t make it out of the city, that’s certain. Last I saw, he was leading a group to the chapel, but that was a day or more ago and we can’t get through the town gate to find them…”

Posted Image

As if he could feel her stare, the man looked up and round, and as the piercing blue of his eyes hit her, she was back in the prison cell and Emperor Uriel Septim was pinning her soul under that same gaze.

It was him. There was no doubt in her mind.

Posted Image

Her face must have hidden nothing – the recognition in her eyes was clearly visible, and the man half-stood, confused – she was walking towards him before she even knew what she was doing...

“Brother Martin,” she whispered hoarsely, her voice damaged by the blistering heat of the Gate’s fires. He was tall, strongly built. If he hadn’t had the same soul-searing stare as his father, she would never have picked him out; he looked less like a priest than anyone she’d ever seen before. His ash-brown hair fell tousled to the shoulders of the simple grey robe he wore.

Posted Image

“Yes?” he asked, confused. His voice was gravelly and quiet. “Who-”

“There’s not much time,” she hurried; Matius and Tierra were formulating their plans to leave. “I need to speak with you. Urgently. Promise me you’ll get out of here as soon as you can – Matius has cleared a path to the town gate. I’ll find you in the refugee camp. Promise me that you’ll go swiftly and wait for me there?”

Posted Image

There was a quiet desperation in her voice that unnerved him; he almost reached out automatically to steady her, but realised she was a stranger and stopped. “Of course I’ll go, I can’t stay here – who are you? Why do you need to speak to me?”

Posted Image

At the head of the chapel hall, Matius was separating the troops and looking round for Shamanih; he gestured frantically for her to come. She turned back to Martin, and the intensity between them – her agitation, and his intrigue – was almost a palpable force. “My name is Shamanih. I can’t stay now – Matius needs my help. I’ll meet you in the refugee camp. Be safe – it’s so important – go, I’ll meet you there!”

“Wait – I don’t –” he called after her, but she was already at the door, being hustled through by Matius. One look back, the stab of electricity as their eyes met – and then gone. The slam and barring of the door echoed round the chapel, and Shamanih looked round to see the dark smoke of the sky, and the fires, and the crawling shapes that closed in on either side.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Enjoy x Love, Rumms.

Edited by Rumpleteasza, 02 March 2011 - 03:07 PM.

New avatar in honour of SeV/Jade, because everyone knows Jade brings all the (elves? Humans? Tabaxi? Let's just say girls, shall we?) to the yard.

The King and I
The Emperor and I

#4 Rumpleteasza

Rumpleteasza

Bargain-Bin Bondgirl

• 288 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 06:45 AM

Part Two

Convincing the Heir

They were hailed like heroes when they returned, exhausted, to the refugee camp just before dawn. The fires were burning out; the smoke was dissipating. There was clear sky over Kvatch for the first time in a week. It shone on a scene of desolation and destruction, but at least it shone at all.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Shamanih stumbled down the hill and fell to the ground. She had been running on autopilot for the last six hours; her memory after they had left the chapel was blurry, inconsistent. Her body had kept pace out of sheer panic and need, but now the battle was over, her systems were shutting down and crying out for respite. Everything hurt. Her mind hurt most of all, but it would be a day or two yet before the physical pain levelled enough to expose the psychological.

At the back of her hazy, distorted reasoning, she knew she had to find Martin as she had promised in the chapel. But she was so tired – she couldn’t see, she couldn’t speak – she could only let Ilend half-carry her in stupor to the nearest tent and, as unconsciousness gripped her, lower her onto the bedroll. Then there was darkness.

Posted Image

Posted Image

It was an hour away from sunset when she awoke, with the kind of deadweight exhaustion that only those pushed to the limit of bodily and emotional reserves can feel. She had slept dreamlessly, a blessing that would not grace her again for a long time. It took five minutes just to open her eyes.

Posted Image

With effort she rolled over, her overworked muscles protesting, to see Ilend sitting propped against the tentpole and drinking from a water-flask.

Posted Image

“Well, I expected you to sleep for longer. You’ve earned it.”

The words were difficult to get out; her voice still felt like it had been burnt from her throat. “Don’t you need to sleep? Is everything alright?”

He half-smiled. “When you’ve trained as a guard, you find sleeping in short snatches easier than one long night. But you’re not trained as a guard, are you?”

“No,” she whispered, her voice giving out. He handed her the water-flask, and watched as she sipped.

Posted Image

“I suppose it’s no right of mine to ask, especially considering how far in your debt I am. But I’d like to know, all the same.” The curiosity was evident in his voice now. There had been no time for questions before. “Where did you come from? And why did you help? You’re not from Kvatch, and I’ll wager you’re not Legion – you don’t have the armour, and the other legionnaires didn’t recognise you.”

Images flashed before Shamanih’s eyes. The dank of the prison cell – the dawning of recognition on the Emperor’s face – the setting of his features as he confessed he’d seen his death – the spray of blood as the sword hit his back – the glint of the Amulet of Kings – the crawl though half a dozen miles of dark cave to freedom – Jauffre’s orders – the distant sighting of smoke as she neared Kvatch – the reddening of the sky – the hideous maw of the Gate…

“…I was just passing,” she said finally.

Posted Image

Ilend looked at her. He was no simpleton. “Matius said you asked after Martin, the Akatosh priest. You spoke to him in the chapel. Are you family?”

“No, but… oh gods, what time is it? I said I’d find him… He hasn’t left?” She scrambled to her knees, sudden panic overlaying the pain in her limbs. If she’d lost him… It would be her fault… the Emperor’s inanimate face, reproachful in the dust…“Ilend, he hasn’t gone? Have you seen him?”

“Don’t be alarmed,” Ilend soothed quickly, taken aback at her distress. “He’s still at the camp. He came in here to look for you earlier, but… you were asleep, of course.”

Relief coursed through her. But to fall asleep like that, without first making sure Martin was still in the camp… that was unforgivable. She should have gone to him straight away. Looking around the tent, she checked to see if her meagre belongings were stowed in her leather satchelbag, and then splashed a handful of water over her face. The cold shocked her skin into wakefulness.

At the flap of the tent, she paused. “Ilend… I’ll come back for my things, but I have a feeling I’ll be leaving very soon. Will you be here before I go?”

“Yes,” he said quietly. “You brought me back from hell; I won’t forget that. Why must you leave so urgently?”

“I can’t really explain. I have to be somewhere. It’s important. I’ll come back… if I can…”

Ilend nodded. She had been passing when she’d offered her help, she must have had other business to attend to, people who would be worried about her whereabouts. It would be the same for a lot of the refugees.

“I’ll be here to say farewell before you leave,” he assured. “I am sure Matius would like to pay his compliments also. I’ll let him know.”

Shamanih nodded her thanks, and disappeared through the flap.

It took a little while for her to find him, and for a terrible moment she thought he really had left, and began to panic once more. But as she rounded the last of the refugee tents, she saw his ash-brown hair glinting in the weak sunset. He was standing with his back to the camp, looking out over the plains that lead to the Gold Coast.

Posted Image

Posted Image

He heard the rustle of grass as she approached. The jump of recognition in his eyes was too quick to conceal.

Posted Image

“I thought you would sleep for a while yet…”

“That’s what Ilend said. But in truth, I don’t think I can afford to sleep for long now.”

He looked at her, the frown once more coming between his brows. “But why? The Gate is closed – I heard how you helped the guard drive the daedra back-”

“You’re in danger!” She’d blurted out before she could stop herself.

He looked taken aback. For a moment he said nothing. Then, with a look of incredulity; “That’s what you wanted to tell me? That I’m in danger?” He looked towards the smoking ruin of the city, as if to say, really? “Is that all?”

“No, of course it’s not all,” she snapped, tiredness and the ordeal of the last twenty-four hours lending sting to her words. “I’ve been sent to find you. There’s… something you need to know…”

Posted Image

“What? Sent by whom? I don’t understand. Who could possibly be looking for me?” The tension and acerbity was growing between them, culprit of emotional exhaustion. Shamanih didn’t know how to tell him without it sounding ridiculous, but it was clear that he wanted a straight answer. She sat on a tree-stump, fatigue threatening to overwhelm her.

“I… we… need your help.” She was about to continue, to tell him plainly about Jauffre and the last words of the Emperor, but he interrupted her mid-flow, with a louder and more bitter laugh than ever.

“You’re coming to me for help? Look around you! What good is a priest? I prayed to Akatosh all through that terrible night, but no help came. Only more daedra! If you want someone to shrive you, I can’t do it. I’m finished with the gods.” He turned angrily away from her, starting back towards the camp.

She shouted in pique at his retreating back, “I don’t want you because you’re a priest!” She didn’t know what else to do, so threw caution to the wind. “You’re Uriel Septim’s son!”

He halted with a jerk and turned around, slowly.

“I beg your pardon?”

“You heard me the first time.”

“Are you out of your mind?”

Posted Image

She shot him an angry look before she could help herself. His expression became contrite; perhaps he thought the Gate had addled her brains, and that it would be best to humour her. “Emperor Uriel Septim? You think the Emperor is my father? You must have the wrong man. My father was a farmer.”

“Right. You knew him, then?” She was being cruel, she knew, but time was of the essence.

“Well, no; he died before I was born. They told me – I mean, my foster parents …” Doubt was starting to creep into his face, doubt and horror.

“I can’t answer to that. But the Emperor knew you were in danger; he asked me to find you.”

Now he really was shocked. “You – you spoke to the Emperor?”

Yes, thought Shamanih. He died in my arms. I can’t stop thinking about it. I dream about it. I feel like I should have done more to protect him. That it was my fault. He talked to me kindly; he didn’t ask why I was in prison. And I failed him. And now I have to earn back his regard, by making you safe. I’m tired, I’m confused, I don’t understand, but I can see his face in the dim light beneath the palace, dying and begging me to find you, clearer than ever. I don’t know what to do. He died in my arms.

What she said was, “Yes. He told me to find you.”

He couldn’t take it in; she could see him struggling. She came closer, carefully. Time for a different tack. “Why would I lie to you?”

He looked into her face, and saw no deceit – only troubled weariness. “I don’t know… it’s strange… I think you might actually be telling the truth.”

Posted Image

“I have no reason to lie. Unless the Gate has lost me my mind, in which case I give you leave to hand me over to the guards. Are you going to do that?”

His searching gaze bore into her eyes. It was uncanny, piercing – she had felt it in the Emperor, but there was something more restless, more urgent, about Martin.

“No,” he said quietly. “I am not going to do that.” All at once the weight of it seemed to sink in; he leant back against the bole of the tree, running his hands over his face in helpless bewilderment. “I’m just… I can’t… It can’t be true! How could I never have known?”

She could only guess at what he was feeling right now. To have witnessed the massacre of his home was bad enough; to rob him of his former parentage was adding insult to injury.

He turned to her, the faint shadow of vulnerability in his eyes making her heart beat uncomfortably faster. “It’s true, isn’t it? You’re telling the truth?”

“I’m telling you what I’ve been told. I don’t know what else to say.”

“And you’re sure you haven’t mistaken me?”

She gave him a look. “Is your name Martin? Are you a priest of Akatosh living in Kvatch? Are there any others of that description? I was told by the Blades’ Grandmaster to find you. You said yourself that you were only told your father was a farmer.” She hesitated. “And…”

He turned swiftly, as if she were about to say something that would negate the entire conversation. “And? And what?”

Posted Image

“And… I know it’s you,” she said softly. The eyes. It was unmistakeable.

He looked at her for a long time. Then, finally: “You destroyed the Oblivion Gate. You gave them hope. You helped them drive the daedra back.”

She was about to protest, but he continued. “I’ll do whatever you need me to do. This Grandmaster, what did he tell you to do once you’d found me?”

“His name is Jauffre. I’m supposed to take you to him in Weynon Priory… outside Chorrol…”

He looked at her carefully. “Lead on, then.”

She couldn’t believe how quickly he was mastering himself… but then she recalled how her body had taken over amidst the horror of Kvatch, and thought that it was not so uncommon, perhaps. And there was no question that there was anything for him here now; the smoke and fire on the hill testified to that.

Posted Image

“I’ll get my things,” she whispered. “We ought to leave right away.”

Martin nodded, his face set.

Edited by Rumpleteasza, 02 March 2011 - 03:14 PM.

The King and I
The Emperor and I

#5 SeV

SeV
  • Modder
  • 390 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 11:00 AM

Wow Rumms, that was awesome! I'm so impressed by your literary skills, the words you use to describe a situation really puts the reader there, at that moment, in that place, at that time. Plus Shamanih is such a great character, her background and personality reallly shine through. You should be very proud my little artist :wub:

My avatar courtesy of my own little personal artist, Rumms

#6 Rumpleteasza

Rumpleteasza

Bargain-Bin Bondgirl

• 288 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 03:27 PM

Wow Rumms, that was awesome! I'm so impressed by your literary skills, the words you use to describe a situation really puts the reader there, at that moment, in that place, at that time. Plus Shamanih is such a great character, her background and personality reallly shine through. You should be very proud my little artist :wub:

Sev <3 Thank you so much, I really appreciate it! It's even more rewarding putting everything together when you know someone will enjoy it ^_^ x

The King and I
The Emperor and I

#7 Rumpleteasza

Rumpleteasza

Bargain-Bin Bondgirl

• 288 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 12:39 PM

Part Three

Nightmares

It was almost eighteen hours later that they stumbled off the road, exhausted, looking for somewhere to sleep. The shore of Lake Rumare could be seen glinting through the trees a mile or so to the east, fed by the stream that flowed down from the main path. In front of them a carpet of bluebells spread in every direction, rustling softly in the breeze and glowing in the pre-sunset light.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The scene was indescribably beautiful, but Shamanih could hardly spare it a second glance. An eighteen-hour march was bad at the best of times, but they had both been tired to begin with. The only consolation was how much ground they had covered. They were nearly halfway to Chorrol.

Martin had sunk to his knees in the bluebells, too worn out even to lift his head. Shamanih wanted nothing more than to collapse on the ground, but she felt filthy – not only from the long walk, but from the sweltering heat of the Oblivion Gate and the battle-terror of Kvatch. Sleep was tempting, but a bath even more so.

“I’m going to wash,” she whispered to Martin, even her voice giving out. “Can you just keep watch a moment? I won’t be long.”

Posted Image

He looked up, his eyes reflecting the weariness of her own, and nodded imperceptibly.

Shamanih ducked behind the bushes and found a pool fed by the stream; it was stony and small, only ten yards across and four or so deep, but it would do. She felt like she needed to scrub the taint of Oblivion off her skin; she could feel the tang of the smoky atmosphere, smell it in her hair.

She carefully unbuckled her armour and laid it to one side, dagger in easy reach. The bluebell wood looked deserted, but it wouldn’t be much fun to get caught without her weapons. And she had no idea whether the Emperor’s assassins knew about Martin, or whether they would be following. She fervently hoped not.

The tooth-pendant hung round her neck, a faint mark on her sternum where the armour had pressed it into her skin. It wasn’t something she’d sworn never to remove, but with the hastiness of their travel and the ever-present danger, she was paranoid of losing the only thing that anchored her to the Akehane and her father. She kept it on. Her hair was still in the closely-woven braids she’d worn since the Imperial Prison; she began to unwind them carefully, a small frown of tiredness carved between her brows.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

There hadn’t been much conversation between her and Martin on the road except for what was necessary. It was hardly surprising. What was there to talk about? How his home had just been burnt to the ground? How his life had turned out to be a lie? How she had watched his father draw his last breath?

He didn’t know that last one, of course. She didn’t think she could tell anyone yet, not even Jauffre. It was too raw a wound.

A rather more immediate and pressing thought occupied her as she submerged herself, blissfully, in the cold clear shower of water that fell over the nearby rocks. It was too dangerous for them both to take the sleep they needed so badly – that would put them at the risk of even normal wild animals, never mind a pack of zealous assassins. Of course for her, the animosity of wild animals had never been a problem– a relic of her Bosmer parentage – but there was still Martin to think of. One of them would have to stay up to keep watch, and she just didn’t know if either of them could do it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

After a makeshift wash – what she wouldn’t have given for a bar of soap – Shamanih reached over to her meagre pack and pulled out a fresh linen chemise and woollen leggings. The bodice would have to do, as would the boots, but she was damned if she wasn’t going to sleep in something relatively clean – as clean as they could be, that was, after spending a fortnight squashed in the bottom of her pack. She used the old chemise to towel her hair and body as best she could.

Posted Image

It had been a long time since she’d lived the nomad life with her father. And even in the tribe, they’d followed the water. She’d gotten used to baths.

Combing through her damp hair with her fingers, strangely heartened by feeling clean, she gathered up her things and made her way back to Martin. To her surprise, he’d got a small fire going and was unwrapping the bundle of supplies they had grabbed in Kvatch.

He looked up, and did a double take. “Your hair…”

She put a hand to her head, immediately self-conscious. “What? What about it?”

He held her gaze for a moment, then turned hurriedly back to the fire as a stick settled into the blaze and sent up a cloud of sparks. “Nothing. It’s just… longer than I thought.”

Nonplussed, she put her pile of armour on the ground and sat slowly next to the fire.

“Here,” he said, handing her a biscuit. She took a bite, nearly breaking her teeth – it really came to something when you were so hungry you could even bite into a travel-biscuit with enthusiasm.

Out of the corner of her eye, she noticed Martin looking at her chemise. She was confused for a moment before she realised that he had seen the tooth-necklace beneath the linen, and was trying to work out what it was.

“It’s a Kozanset tiger tooth. A sacred animal. My father gave it to me.”

He chewed at his own rock-hard biscuit thoughtfully. “Kozanset? Hammerfell? Is that where you live?”

“Well… lived. I haven’t been there for a long time now.” She could see him getting interested, but thinking about such unreachable pleasures as home and family was painful. She rapidly changed the subject.

Posted Image

“I was just thinking,” she said quickly, “about who’s going to take the first watch. I think I should do it. I got some sleep at the camp, after all. We can split four-hour shifts, and start again at dawn. You should get some rest.”

Martin looked up, a ghost of a smile crossing his face for the first time. It startled her; his face looked very different without the permanent scowl he seemed to have. Younger. “Actually, we won’t need to take watches. I know a spell – it’s a variation on Detect Life. I’ll wake up if anything comes within thirty yards of the camp.”

Shamanih was momentarily distracted from her biscuit. “I’ve never heard of a spell like that! It’ll really work? Where did you learn it?”

His smile faded slightly. “Oh, a long time ago. I wasn’t always a priest, you know…” he trailed off, looking hard into the fire.

Suddenly intensely curious, she had to bite her lip from questioning further. It was too soon. They didn’t know each other well enough, and he didn’t seem inclined to elaborate. It looked like she wasn’t the only one being cagey at the moment.

There were so many unspoken questions between them – what was going to happen? In a day, or a week, or a month? To him and to her? Because she couldn’t just abandon him as soon as she handed him over to Jauffre, she knew that now. She had been sold as soon as the Emperor looked into her eyes. Not only for Uriel’s sake, but for Martin’s… which was absurd; she hardly knew him, but she felt responsible for him in some strange way.

But even so, what could she really do for him? She was a jack-of-all-trades at best; there was no particular skill she could think of that would help re-throne an Emperor. What was she good at? Nature magic? Stealth? Piracy? Tribal dancing? Good grief, now she really was dreaming.

You can give him moral support, a tiny voice said in the back of her mind.

Yes. She could do that, if nothing else.

“I’ll get some water. I can at least make you some tea,” she said. She’d had the herbs in her pack for a long time – a snatched relic of the pirate ship that had landed her in the Imperial Prison – but they should still be usable.

He looked surprised, as if tea was a long-forgotten civility, but murmured a hesitant thank-you as she took the small lightweight cooking-pot from her pack and filled it at the stream. A minute later, it was bubbling steadily over the fire. She threw in a handful of herbs; the pungent smell was refreshing, and went some way to clearing her head. Between that and the much-desired wash, she felt something approaching normal.

When the tea was brewed she poured it into their single tin cup, and handed it to him. He took it with a small smile, but gave it back after only a sip.

“We’ll share it,” he offered.

They passed it back and forth between themselves until the sun went down properly, and then put out the fire so it wouldn’t be noticed in the gathering dark. They only had a blanket each to sleep on, but luckily the autumn still had a hint of lingering summer, and the trademark heat of the Imperial Province was yet to be overcome by the onset of winter. Sleeping straight on the ground was also no problem; they were too tired for the hardness to matter.

They spread their blankets on opposite sides of the remains of the fire. Shamanih watched, half-dozing already, as Martin bent his head to concentrate on his Detect Life spell. The dim glow from his hands illuminated his face, and she noticed faint lines on his brow.

Posted Image

She wondered how old he was. He couldn’t be much over thirty; Jauffre had spoken of seeing Martin as a baby when he was Captain, and he himself wasn’t more than sixty. There was a haunted look in Martin’s piercing eyes that made him seem older. Possibly because she remembered the same eyes looking out from the aged face of Emperor Uriel.

She must have fallen asleep thinking about it, because the next images she saw were red and smoky, worlds away from the quiet concentration on her companion’s face.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Martin woke up to sounds of muffled terror.

Despite his exhaustion, it had taken a good twenty minutes to get to sleep. There were too many things whirling around his head – the images of Kvatch, the scenes of chaos, the out-of-the-blue revelation of his supposed royal heritage…

It was too much to take in. Right now, he was determined to ignore the enormity of the last forty-eight hours simply as a defence mechanism. He could begin to deal with it when they were safe… whenever, and wherever, that would be.

He found himself thinking of Shamanih instead. There was a constant something in her eyes that he couldn’t quite fathom – a tense, nervous guardedness that underlaid her every word and action. He couldn’t blame her. He had no idea what she’d seen in the Oblivion Gate, but he knew ten other soldiers had gone in before her, and only two had returned. He couldn’t imagine what kind of horrors had lain beyond the vast portal.

And then there was the memory of that look of intensity, that expression of quiet urgency – something had tugged at his mind in the chapel before he’d turned and seen her, as if her gaze had been a physical force. She’d moved towards him almost magnetically, as if she hadn’t even realised she was doing it…

He finally dropped off, his head full of assassins, the dark uncertainty of what lay ahead, and green green eyes.

When he surfaced groggily once more, it was still dark. The stars blazed overhead, the scent of bluebells was everywhere, and there were stifled gasps coming from the other side of the fire.

He was already on his feet before he realised that the spell hadn’t triggered. He could feel it, still in place. Nothing had come within the bounds of their camp. He stepped cautiously round the fire, towards the dim shape of Shamanih.

She was having a nightmare.

Her loose hair, now dry, lay coiled over the grass like black snakes. Her fists were clenching and unclenching compulsively, nails clawing at the blanket. Her breath was harsh.

For a moment he hovered, unsure of what to do. He couldn’t leave it. He had to wake her.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Kneeling beside her, he bent his head and spoke quietly. “Shamanih.”

No response; if anything her breath became quicker.

He tried again, louder. Her distress was beginning to alarm him. “Shamanih… wake up. It’s a dream.” He leant down, propriety overruled, and laid a hand on her shoulder.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Instantly her eyes flew open, her lips parted in a hoarse gasp – and for one moment he was shocked into immobility by the sheer unadulterated terror in her face. She was petrified. He could almost see the Oblivion Gate burning in her eyes.

Posted Image

She stared directly at him, a half-swallowed scream bubbling up into her throat – and before he knew it, she had scrabbled for the dagger on the ground beside them and snatched it up.

Posted Image

Posted Image

His body working purely on adrenaline, he flung out a hand and caught her wrist before she could move; half falling, he forced her arm to the ground beside her head and pressed it into the grass, the dagger falling loose. The part of his brain that remained calm registered she was nowhere near as strong as he was, despite what he’d expected.

Panting, heart hammering, everything around them seemed to go still suddenly as the recognition dawned in her eyes. They were inches away from each other in a kind of nightmarish bubble. There were tears on Shamanih’s cheeks.

Slowly, Martin loosened his grip on her wrist. The dagger lay on the ground, glinting in the starlight. The bluebells swayed around them.

He sank onto the grass. She was shaking beside him. She could hardly speak; her gaze was fixed onto the dagger. “I – I could have –”

“No,” he said immediately. “You couldn’t. It was easily caught.”

His words seemed to leave no impression. “Forgive me, I...”

“No,” he said firmly again. The adrenaline was subsiding, leaving him stronger and his thoughts clearer. “It was just a natural reaction. You were having a nightmare; I woke you. If I’d been an enemy, you’d be glad of those quick reactions.”

They sat for a moment in silence. The panic in Shamanih’s eyes slowly began to fade as she visibly regained control; Martin, strangely fascinated by this glimpse of what lay beneath the surface, watched surreptitiously as the mental barriers went back up one by one. By the time she spoke again, her voice was cool and impersonal. “Take it away from me.”

She meant the dagger. To oblige her, he picked it up and put it by their packs, though it hardly seemed necessary now.

“Don’t think on it,” he said, a little more softly. “A nightmare. It’s no wonder…” he trailed off, not wanting to bring up the topic of the Oblivion Gate, and what she had been remembering. Not with that iron-clad mental shield back in place.

Wordlessly, he fetched his blanket and laid it on her side of the fire, a foot or so away. “Lie down,” he said. “I’m going to cast a sleeping spell.”

Posted Image

She looked at him for a long time, her eyes guarded and wary, but he was stubborn. Finally, she lay back down. She was still breathing a little fast, he noticed. He began to concentrate on the first stages of the spell.

“The barrier’s not broken?” she said suddenly, breaking his flow. He realised she meant the Detect Life.

“No. It’s intact. Don’t worry.”

She nodded and closed her eyes, just before the completed spell settled over her.

He watched her until her breathing became deep and even, and her arms relaxed into the blanket. Her head fell to one side. He kept watching for a while after he was sure she was in a dreamless sleep.

Posted Image

His heart was still beating fast. Something had changed now. He could not forget that unguarded terror as her eyes had flown open. Before, they had been careful, even removed with each other. Now, he thought in an unbidden flash of intuition, it would be different – perhaps even awkward. There is something very exposed and vulnerable about seeing someone in a nightmare.

He lay down stiffly on his own blanket, and slipped back into his own troubled dreams.

Edited by Rumpleteasza, 02 March 2011 - 03:21 PM.

The King and I
The Emperor and I

#8 Ryu Doppler

Ryu Doppler

That guy with the felt hat...

• 523 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 01:51 PM

Yay! An update! :cheers: It's good to read more of your stories. You portray Shamanih's reaction to the last few days very well with that nightmare scene. I can't wait to see what else you come up with! Especially between Shamanih and Martin! :blush:

Keep up the good work! :hug:
A moderate amount of evil is nature to all.
If one is to control their nature, then they
must accept both the light and the dark.

Doppler's Armory - I'll do something...eventually...

#9 Rumpleteasza

Rumpleteasza

Bargain-Bin Bondgirl

• 288 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 01:59 PM

Wow Ryu, that was quick! :lol: Thank you so much for the kind words and encouragement - actually I'm having a bit of a binge, so I have another ready to go up already!

I'm so glad you enjoyed it :hug: Looking forward to seeing one of Glenn one day!

The King and I
The Emperor and I

#10 Rumpleteasza

Rumpleteasza

Bargain-Bin Bondgirl

• 288 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 02:04 PM

Part Four

One Week Earlier

It was a quiet day. Summer was lingering long – Jauffre could smell the alkanet through the open window of his study.

He didn’t really pay attention to the murmurs of voices outside when they floated in a moment later. People came and went at the Priory all the time; Prior Maborel handled most visitors to the chapel. He didn’t even look up from his book as he heard feet on the wooden stairs. He was only drawn away from the page when the door opened, and someone walked directly to his desk.

Posted Image

With a start, he realised it was neither of the Priory associates. It was a woman.

She was fit and young, but the expression on her face and the tense line of her shoulders revealed that she was near exhaustion.

“Ma’am?” he asked, taken aback. “Is there something I can help you with?”

She hesitated, and for answer, slowly began to unlace the ties on the neck of her chemise.

Posted Image

For a moment, he didn’t know what to think. He arose, half confused, half angry – what was this? Surely she couldn’t think that here, in a chapel of all places-

Posted Image

But his thoughts were cut short as she pulled her collar back, and revealed what was underneath it.

Jauffre gaped. The Amulet of Kings glittered.

He couldn’t speak for a full minute. When the words finally collected themselves, he leant weakly onto the edge of the desk.

“Who are you?” he demanded. “What is the meaning of this?”

The Amulet was not conventionally fastened round her neck. The chain had been looped around without it actually passing over her head, and the Amulet itself fastened through the crook of the loop to keep it from falling. She wouldn’t have been able to wear it properly, of course. The enchantment would have prevented that.

Posted Image

The woman removed the chain and, with extreme care, laid the Amulet on the desk before Jauffre. Then, as if this action had somehow released her, she sank forward against the table, her eyes closed and hands trembling.

Posted Image

“I…” her voice was low. “I was asked to bring this to you. There, I’ve done it. You’ve got it.”

Jauffre passed his fingers over the surface of the Amulet reverentially, noting the shadow that seemed to twist deep in the heart of the flame-like gem.

Since the Emperor’s death, he had been frantically gathering information about the chaotic night the assassins struck. Glenroy and Captain Renault had been killed, and Baurus had disappeared. When the remaining Imperial Guards had gotten the body of the Emperor aboveground, they realised that one thing was missing: the Amulet. No-one had given much thought to the prisoner who happened to be in the cell fronting the escape passage. There had been too much happening.

His eyes widened as the truth dawned on him. “You’re the prisoner, aren’t you? The one whose cell they evacuated the Emperor through.”

Posted Image

“Yes,” she whispered. “When… when it happened… he asked me to take it to you. I did. I’ve done it now. I said I would.”

Jauffre passed a hand over his face, suddenly haggard. He sat back down in his chair.

“Who are you?” he demanded, more forcefully. “How did this come about? You must tell me everything. Now.”

The woman took a deep breath. “I’d been there for about a fortnight. I had little idea of what was happening, but I did know about the Emperor’s sons. The guards talk to eachother.”

Jauffre made a mental note to bring this up to the Imperial Jailor.

“I was sleeping. I heard noises, and my cell door being opened. When I sat up, the Emperor was looking at me… and he said he knew me.”

Jauffre stared. “I’m sorry? Knew you?”

“I don’t know. I’ve never met him. But he said he’d seen me… in a dream.”

Jauffre started to pace. It was too much... But then again, this did have a precedent. The gift of Sight was strong in the Imperial line. “As strange as it sounds, I believe you. The Emperor saw many things. And he talked more of his death as the years went on… Carry on.”

“The Blade guards told me to stand back, but otherwise didn’t take much notice. When they went down the passageway, I followed. I’m sure you’ll fault me for it, but I felt drawn to him. The Emperor, I mean.”

Jauffre looked at her sardonically. “And you guessed the passage must be an escape route from the Palace.”

She narrowed her eyes. “I’m only human. But that wasn’t the sole reason.”

He let it go. She had, after all, brought the Amulet to him unscathed.

“It was all… a blur, really. The assassins attacked. The two Blade guards were too far away – they’d left the Emperor in a room they thought was a dead-end, but a secret passage opened from the wall. After it happened… he… he told me to bring you the Amulet.”

Jauffre closed his eyes. He had not yet heard a first-person account of the assassination. The grief had been setting in slowly all week, but this made it far more tangible. The prisoner’s account was sparse, but he could verify the details when – if – they found Baurus.

She hesitated. “He also told me something else. He said he had a son, and that you had to find him. An illegitimate son.”

Jauffre looked up. His mouth fell open. By Akatosh… Martin! How could he have forgotten!?

She was looking at him carefully. “You know about this son?”

“Yes,” said Jauffre, reeling. He had to be found immediately. If anything happened to him… “His name is Martin. I believe he is working as a priest in Colovia. I’m one of the few who knew about him.” He stopped for a moment, lost in memories.

“Many years ago when I was Blades Captain, Uriel called me to his room. There was a baby boy in a cradle. I was asked to deliver him somewhere safe. Nothing was said, but I knew it was the Emperor’s son – he had a mistress at that time he was very fond of. Every now and again, he would ask about the child’s progress. And now…”

“He’s the heir, I suppose,” the prisoner said.

“Yes. He must be found and brought back here with no time to lose. We cannot afford anything to happen to him.”

The woman looked up with surprise at his use of ‘we’. “I beg your-”

Jauffre looked at her with hard eyes. “The Emperor asked you to find his son, did he not? Will you go against his wishes?”

That hit a nerve. “I wouldn’t, but come on – you’re a Blade! They’re supposed to be the Emperor’s most loyal servants! Why aren’t you sending one of your own? I could be anything; I could be a murderer!”

He met her gaze steadily. “Are you?”

She chewed her lip. “No. Alright, no. I’m not. But I could so easily be lying! It’s just so… reckless!”

“I may have once been an active Blade, but I gave up my Captaincy more than ten years ago. I don’t have the time or the means to contact any of them – this is urgent, don’t you see? If the enemy knows about Martin – which by now, they may well do – he is likely to be in terrible danger. There is simply no time to send out for any of the Blades, even if Captain Renault wasn’t dead and Baurus was anywhere to be found. This is your Emperor we’re speaking of!”

“I am not Cyrodiilic,” she said coldly. “The Empire has never been a part of the Akehane.”

He looked at her, furious, before he realised that her eyes were not as cold as her voice.

“You’ll do it,” he said.

She looked away, out the window. Then, quietly, “Yes. Of course I’ll do it. But it seems… so rushed. Wrong.”

“There’s no time. Sometimes we have to just make do. Last I heard, Martin was living in Kvatch. I will send summons to any other Blades I have contact with, I promise you that, but it will likely take at least a week. You are bound to be the quickest on the scene.”

They regarded eachother for a moment. “What’s your name?” Jauffre asked suddenly, realising the whole conversation had taken place without it.

“Shamanih of the Akehane,” she replied. Something seemed to occur to her. “This Martin – does he know?”

“That he is the Emperor’s son? No, he does not.”

She let out a long breath. “I see.”

Jauffre sat back at his desk, slowly and carefully transferring the Amulet to a drawer. “You mustn’t delay, I’m afraid. Speed is everything. You’ll probably need some armour – there’s a set of leather in the back-room chest; help yourself. Good luck.”

She bent her head and nodded. He suddenly saw again how tired she looked.

Posted Image

“And thank you,” he added more softly, aware that his words had been hard.

She acknowledged the thanks with a silent nod, and disappeared through the doorway.

Jauffre looked down again at the Amulet, a stab of scarlet against the dark wood. He hoped he hadn’t just made a terrible mistake.

One...

Posted Image

Two...

Posted Image

Three...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Four...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Turn your back, to the door...

Posted Image

Posted Image

This should be interesting. Or is that unforgettable?

Either way, it won't be good.

Edited by Rumpleteasza, 02 March 2011 - 03:27 PM.

The King and I
The Emperor and I

#11 Karandras

Karandras
  • 796 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 06:20 PM

Wonderful story, this deserves sever cookies :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :) (I hope you don't mind, they are carob chip cookies :whistling: )
Posted Image
Thank you Sinharvest for the signature

#12 cyborgakadjmoose

cyborgakadjmoose
  • 253 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 12:53 PM

Awesome Rumpleteasza! :o Wonderfully written! I can't wait to read more!
CYBORGAKADJMOOSE (Cyborg also known as DJMoose)

"I don't recall using teleportation, yet there I was....alone...naked."

My Deviantart

My Myspace

Cool place for character names: www.behindthename.com

Posted Image

#13 Rumpleteasza

Rumpleteasza

Bargain-Bin Bondgirl

• 288 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 05:12 AM

Thank you so much guys <3 It's amazing that people are reading this :lol: I'll try to post more soon! Glad you enjoyed xx

The King and I
The Emperor and I

#14 Rumpleteasza

Rumpleteasza

Bargain-Bin Bondgirl

• 288 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 03:10 PM

Part Five

The Road to Weynon

One Week Later, back in the bluebell wood

They woke with the light.

Posted Image

Like the day before, this one was clear and balmy, with soft breezes and scattered sunshine. It lit the landscape so beautifully that Shamanih almost began to feel annoyed - suddenly Cyrodiil seemed to be putting on its finest show for her, right when she was too tired and worried to even think about appreciating it.

Martin was still asleep, unconsciousness smoothing the lines on his face so that he looked strangely younger. She watched him for a moment, questions from the night before flooding her head.

With them came something else; the memory of a nightmare, Martin waking her, and the dagger.

A wave of humiliation washed over her. What a brilliant start - pulling a knife on him, as if he didn't have enough to deal with! But she remembered the nightmare images, how they pressed in around her...

She sat down again, suddenly feeling quite weak, shivering despite the morning sun. She wondered when those images would fade. It was early days yet, she knew. What she wouldn't give to drop everything and run for the Hammerfell border, catch the silk-trail to the Alik'r Desert, and then to Kozanset and the Akehane...

It almost overwhelmed her, but she mastered herself, forcing her father's face out of her mind and replacing it with Martin's. No. She was in this now, for better or for worse.

She got up, trying to busy the thoughts out of her head. Nudging the earth off last night's fire, she saw the ashes beneath were still glowing, and stoked it with fallen branches. By the time Martin stirred groggily ten minutes later, she had a small but cheery blaze going.

Posted Image

He sat up slowly, screwing up his eyes against the light. She handed him a cup of water, feeling awkward and tongue-tied. What do you say to someone you almost stabbed the night before? Waking up with a bad choice of drunken lover had absolutely nothing on this.

Posted Image

"Good morning," she said, falling back on reliable politeness.

"Good morning," he rasped, throat still dry from the day before. He took a sip of water and squinted up at the sun. "How early is it?"

She took out her pocketwatch, faintly amazed it had escaped the chaos of Kvatch unscathed. "About half five. We should start fairly soon. Is that alright?"

"I suppose we must," he said, tipping some water into his hands and splashing his face. "Do you think we?ll reach Chorrol in the next day or so?"

She shrugged, feeling rather useless. "I'm not really sure ? I don't know this country at all. It took me about four days coming the other way, but we've been going much faster. So I suppose we might at a push, yes."

He looked at her for a moment, his eyes getting used to the light. "If you don?t mind me asking... why did they send you, when you don't know the province? There must be others more familiar with the land."

She turned and started packing things vigorously into her satchelbag. "Everything... happened in a bit of a rush. There wasn't really anyone else to send. Anyway, the Emperor asked me." She was picturing his face again, pale in the darkness. "I couldn't go against his wishes."

"I don't understand," he persisted. She was avoiding his gaze, but she knew he was looking hard at her. "Why were you with the Emperor in the first place? What's your connection? For that matter..." his voice took on a different tone as something seemed to dawn on him. "How do I know you're genuine? I've been following you, thinking you can be trusted, but what's to stop this being a trick?"

He was wary now. She almost groaned aloud. How on earth was she supposed to deal with this? Really, Jauffre might have at least given her some token to persuade Martin with. He'd been too tired and shocked to question it yesterday, but of course he was going to be suspicious sooner or later.

Posted Image

"Look," she said firmly, turning round and meeting his eyes for the first time since last night. "I have no way to vouch for myself. I have no proof, except my word. All I can say is, just wait until we get to Weynon Priory, then you can speak to Jauffre and ask him yourself. Please - I know it sounds mad, but trust me. There's no reason for me to be lying!"

"Why were you with the Emperor?" he pressed. "Are you a Blade?"

"No! I was just... in the right place at the right time. Or the wrong place, Kynareth knows. I was there when the assassins attacked. He asked me - I don't really know why." She sat down in defeat. "He said he'd seen me, and that he wanted me to find you. He gave me the Amulet of Kings to take to Jauffre."

He was silent, presumably from astonishment. "You're telling me that you happened by pure chance to be around at the time of the assassination, and he gave you, a complete stranger, the ancient relic of five hundred years of emperors?"

There was an awkward pause. "Well... yes," said Shamanih. She didn't really want to add she'd been a prisoner at the time; her credentials were bad enough already.

"And what do you mean, he'd 'seen' you?"

"I don't know!" she retorted, suddenly snappish. "There wasn't a lot of time for elaboration!" She quelled herself when she realised how confusing and awful this must be for him. "I'm sorry. I don't know much more than you do. I only know what the Emperor told me, and what Jauffre added. He's got the Amulet safe at the Priory - when we're there he can show it to you, and at least that will prove something."

He was quiet for a moment. "I'm sorry for pressing you. But I'm afraid this is too much to take in."

"I know," she said softly. She really did feel terrible for him. "I'm sorry I can't tell you more. I want to, I really do."

He took a last long look at the fire, then got to his feet. "We'd better leave. The sooner we get the Chorrol, the better."

She nodded and buckled on the extremities of her (now rather battered) leather armour while he collected his belongings. Soon they had wound their way back to the road, the bluebells glinting through the trees, quickly left behind.

Posted Image

"Tell me about something else instead," he said suddenly, when they had walked a mile or so. "You lived in Hammerfell? How did you come by the tiger tooth on your necklace?"

Posted Image

She was surprised at the question, but answered. She supposed he needed to take his mind off Emperors and daedra. "My father is the leader of a Redguard Kozanset tribe. We're a nomad tribe - we spent most of my childhood in the jungles around Totambu and the Dragontail Mountains, but as I grew older we moved towards the Alik'r Desert. I left for Sentinel when I was twenty-four."

"But..." Martin began. She could see he was looking at her slightly pointed ears, her straight nose and green eyes.

"My mother was Bosmer," she complied, not wanting to snub him but feeling slightly uncomfortable at imparting so many details. "I never knew her - she left my father a few months after birth. There was no hardship in it. My father and I are close, and always have been."

She moved on quickly. "The tiger tooth is from the Kozanset jungles; the animals there are sacred. We found one wounded by an elephant, unable to move. We weren't allowed to touch it while it lived, of course. When it died, Da took its sharpest front teeth - one for him, one for me. They give strength and protection."

He looked interested, so she extracted the pendant from her chemise and handed it to him. He ran his thumb over it, feeling the smoothness of the bone.

"Strength and protection, you say?" he murmured, inspecting the point.

She smiled. "Perhaps I should lend it to you."

He looked up immediately. "Oh, no! I couldn't possibly..." he stopped abruptly and cracked a rueful smile of his own as he saw her expression. "You're joking. Of course."

He handed the pendant back carefully, and she lowered it over her head. As they walked further, Shamanih found herself once again thinking with chagrin of the night before. On top of that, she recalled the clipped and acerbic exchange outside the refugee camp before they'd started their journey. She and Martin really hadn't gotten off on the right foot at all. It had all been so rushed and difficult since they'd left Kvatch, and everything that had happened since hadn't exactly relaxed the atmosphere.

"I wanted to say," she said tentatively, looking resolutely ahead, "that I'm sorry if I've seemed snappish or distant. It's not your fault and you don't deserve it. And that business with the knife last night was unforgivable - I just don?t know what to tell you."

He looked over at her, thoroughly surprised. "Surely you don't think I'd hold that against you? I mean, a nightmare, for Akatosh's sake - you could hardly be held accountable -"

"But I'm supposed to be helping you," she pressed, still doggedly not meeting his eyes. "I know we haven't gotten off to the best start and I'm sorry. It's the last thing you need."

She was taken aback when Martin stopped and caught her arm, bringing her to a halt. "Look at me," he said firmly.

Posted Image

She did so reluctantly. She had avoided his eyes for most of the time they had spent together so far. There was too much of Uriel, too much open-wounded confusion there. Now, as she had predicted, she felt a stab of intensity as they met.

"I do not blame you for any unintentional coldness or harsh words. We are strangers; you have no obligation to me, yet are helping me nonetheless. You owe me apology for nothing." His voice softened. "I see what you are trying to do and I am grateful for it. But there is no need. You suffered terribly at Kvatch - I can tell, though you've not spoken of it. Neither of us is in a predicament any better than the other. I'm simply glad to have someone to help."

For the first time in two days, the tension dropped a little. Shamanih smiled ironically. "I'm not sure I've helped you at all yet. All I've done is put a huge burden on you at the worst possible time."

"I've always held strongly with the notion of not shooting the messenger," Martin smirked, trying to make light of the situation.

They began to walk again, the sounds of the Great Forest growing louder as the sun rose higher in the sky. As the path hit a rise at the end of a steady uphill climb, there was a break in the trees and for a moment, they were able to glimpse the whole of their route so far, with the plateau of Kvatch faint on the horizon. The sky above it was innocently blue, devoid of any hint as to the nightmare of the past week.

Posted Image

They stopped for a moment to catch their breath, and Shamanih shaded her eyes as she gazed out over the vista.

"I wonder if Captain Matius has begun the salvage," she speculated.

Martin followed her gaze to the distant silhouette. "I hope so, although I'm sure he'll spend at least a couple of days checking thoroughly for any daedra that weren't spotted. It would be a fine thing to open the city gates back up to the refugees, only to have a repeat performance of last week."

She felt curious as she watched him adjust the strap of his bag. "How long have you lived there?"

"Two... no, three years. Perhaps a month or so shy."

She was surprised. "Really? I thought it had been longer, though I suppose there's no reason why I should have assumed it. Were you sent there through the priesthood?"

Martin's face seemed to close up. "No. I wasn't a priest before I came to Kvatch."

She waited a moment, but he was obviously not going to elaborate. His features had become stony and impenetrable. They both had their barriers, that much was clear.

He turned away from the view. "At least the Gate is gone, and no more daedra can come through. All Matius will have to worry about are the ones left behind."

Shamanih felt an involuntary shiver run through her as he mentioned the Gate. She hugged her arms to her chest. Martin cast a sideways glance at her.

Posted Image

"Are you alright?"

"I'm fine." She tried to speak confidently, but her voice wasn't quite obeying her. Her sight had come over strangely blurry - she jerked to the side suddenly as odd shapes seemed to move in her peripheral vision - shapes that crawled in an unsettlingly inhuman way...

Posted Image

"Shamanih?" Martin's voice rang out in alarm, snapping her out of her daze. Her vision returned to normal; the shapes disappeared.

"Yes," she gasped. "Sorry. I'm fine." She put a hand on the bole of a nearby tree to steady herself. Her legs felt weak.

He evidently didn't believe her. "Sit down," he insisted, gripping her arm firmly and leading her to a fallen log. Rummaging in his shoulderbag, he brought out a small bottle. "Drink it."

"I'm fine," she rapped out abruptly, smoothing her hair and adjusting the buckles on her gauntlets in an attempt to regain control. "I just felt strange for a moment. It's probably lack of sleep."

He frowned at her, obviously wondering if she was downplaying. She decided not to let the question linger, standing up and making her way back to the path, taking deep breaths of the humid air. Another hot day. Checking over her shoulder, she saw Martin follow and fall into step again beside her. He was studying her, presumably making sure she would stay upright. Shamanih cursed herself for not presenting a stronger front.

His voice, when it came a moment later, was quiet. "Was it really that bad?"

She was confused for a moment before she realised what he meant: the Gate.

She took another deep breath. Don't do or say anything ridiculous, she warned herself. It's miles behind you. Nothing but a memory.

"I..." she faltered for a moment, not quite knowing how to put what she was feeling into words. "It was like... well, I don't know. Hell, I suppose."

He was silent. Curiously, the forest seemed less noisy than the hours before. Their footsteps sounded crisp and clear in the cooler air at the top of the hill.

"I don't really want to think about it," she confessed, fixing her eyes on the path in front. "I'd rather not remember."

Martin respected her wishes and let the matter drop, to her relief. They pushed on as the forest became thicker, and they grew closer, step by step, to Chorrol.

Enjoy! xx

Edited by Rumpleteasza, 14 February 2012 - 02:15 PM.

The King and I
The Emperor and I

#15 Ryu Doppler

Ryu Doppler

• 523 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 06:46 PM

Excellent installment Rumpleteasza! I really can't wait to read more of it. I know I've probably said it before, but you just write so well! :cheers:

#16 Rumpleteasza

Rumpleteasza

Bargain-Bin Bondgirl

• 288 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 11:27 AM

Part Six

What They Found at the Chapel

The close humidity of the day had given way to rain, the sky a deep bruise-purple. The conversation had become far more natural as the journey progressed, but as they came within view Weynon Priory, Shamanih and Martin were quiet in an unspoken agreement. There was a sense of expectation in the air.

They should have known it couldn’t be expectation of anything good.

The first warning sign came when they heard a faint clash of steel from the crest of the rise, and the hoarse cry that followed. Shamanih, the familiar feeling of dread creeping up her spine, crooked her hand into a spellcasting gesture and ran up the hill, Martin hot on her heels.

She had only just reached the top when a hurtling body barrelled straight into her. As magicka rose to her lips, she only just had time to quell the half-cast spell as she realised the shape was the Dunmer shepherd she had seen last week.

Posted Image

The shepherd let out a strangled cry and shielded his face with his arm, before he recognised her and grabbed her hand in panic, almost dragging her to the floor.

“Get out of here!” He panted. “They came out of nowhere – I had to run, I’m not armed –”

“Steady!” soothed Shamanih, her heart pounding. “Who’s ‘they’?”

The shepherd allowed himself to be hauled to his feet by Martin. “I don’t know! Red and black armour, I couldn’t see their faces… They’re ransacking the Priory! Get out of here as fast as you can!” Shaking himself free, he bolted, rounding the corner and disappearing in seconds.

Shamanih shared a horrified look with Martin, whose face was ashen. She knew what he was thinking. Their worst fears along the journey so far had come true. They were here for him.

Shouting and the ringing of swords pulled them back to earth; exchanging one more look, they drew their weapons and ran to the chapel. They had hardly rounded the corner into the central courtyard when another shape, this time much taller and darker, blotted a dark shape on the angry sky.

Posted Image

As if on cue, a crack of thunder punctuated the steady drum of rain. The figure was encased head to toe in black and red armour, its face obscured by a metal mask. Before Shamanih had any time to react, a sword was flashing towards her throat with monstrous speed.

It happened so quickly that she didn’t even have time to think. There was a breathtaking, bone-crunching shove to her side that sent her crashing to the ground, her arm crushed beneath her, too winded even to cry out. A moment later she realised that Martin had thrown himself at her with all his strength, and as a result the attacker’s blade had missed her by an inch.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dazed, bruised and breathless, the immediate adrenaline took over and Shamanih flipped herself back onto her feet, stomach muscles stabbing in pain at the sudden twist.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Magicka bubbled up to her lips and her hand curled into casting position as she saw Martin fighting furiously, only just keeping his footing on the uneven ground. Another second, and the strongest spell of blinding and destruction she could conjure up hit the attacker squarely in the back.

The figure momentarily reeled back, tripping over a tree-root and letting out a cry – an ordinary woman’s cry, to Shamanih’s surprise – but as the attacker completely failed to fall over or cease in any way, Shamanih realised that her armour was enchanted, and had absorbed nearly all of the destructive energy of the spell.

Posted Image

Martin was panting, his face grey with exhaustion. He was strong, but he had no armour and only a short steel dagger. As for Shamanih, her armour was scorched and damaged by the fires of Kvatch, her blade skills were clearly outclassed by the assassin, and her main arsenal – magic – was practically ineffectual against that enchanted metal.

Unless…

In the split second before the assassin regrouped and attacked, the rain and the forest disappeared, and Shamanih found herself back in the Alik’r desert more than twenty years ago, facing the bandit that had ambushed her half-sister Nailah. She had been in her teens at the time, just discovering the curious power her Akahane and Bosmer ancestry had given her voice. She had run at the bandit, screaming…

The desert disappeared; she was back in the wood. Barely a second had passed. But the assassin was about to charge, and Shamanih suddenly knew how she could stop her.

She ran and leapt, landing on the assassin’s back, her hands reaching and grasping at her goal – the helmet.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Staggering to his feet, Martin saw the blur as she shot past, and the next thing he knew the two women were grappling like cats – Shamanih was on the assassin’s back wrenching at the helmet, and as if in slow motion it came free, a mess of brownish-red hair tumbling out and revealing the wide eyes of a Breton woman hissing in astonishment and anger –

And then Shamanih looked directly at him, urgency in her eyes, and cried out, “Cover your ears! Quickly!” Her voice echoed strangely around the cobbled courtyard, and he realised with shock that it had split into a dozen different tones of harmonising pitch…

Posted Image

Posted Image

Something about the way those tones rang around the walls made him drop his dagger unquestioningly and clap his hands over his ears – just in time, as Shamanih wrenched back the attacker’s head, and screamed.

Posted Image

Even with the cloth of his sleeves tight around his ears, the scream made Martin’s head ring and his vision blur, cutting through his senses like a sledgehammer and making his eyes water. The assassin, directly in the line of fire, was not so lucky. She shrieked, her own voice lost in the onslaught; her eyes rolled back into her head and she collapsed immediately, blood trickling from each ear.

And then it was over. The rain continued to pour, but the courtyard still rung with the memory of the scream, humming as if the very stones were alive. Martin gaped.

Posted Image

“What in Oblivion –”

“No time!” gasped Shamanih, and he was intensely relieved to hear her voice was back to normal. “I can hear fighting in the chapel – there must be more of them!”

She grabbed his hand and pulled him to his feet, and they rushed through the gatehouse –

Only to see a body huddled against the wall, a pathetic heap of human limbs that had so recently been alive. They stopped short, looking down at the remains.

“One of the priors,” Shamanih whispered. She had seen him on her last visit, in the stables, though she couldn’t remember his name. “We were too late…” She felt so useless, the regret and frustration welling up, threatening to consume her. She could see Martin beside her, his eyes fixed on the corpse. He was probably feeling even worse, because he was likely to think it was his fault – the assassins were, after all, here for him.

Posted Image

He turned away from the dead priest, tightening his grip on the dagger. Without a word, eyes hard, he strode to the chapel and flung open the door.

Posted Image

The shouts and ringing of steel on steel suddenly became much louder. Shamanih, coming up behind him, caught a glimpse of Jauffre expertly parrying a thrust of one of the assassin’s swords. Another prior, a young man wielding a katana, was racing through the pews to help.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

“Come on!” Martin flung himself through the doorway, fuelled by the image of the priest’s still body, quiet in the rain. Shamanih followed, heartened by the looks of surprise and relief on Jauffre’s and the young priest’s faces. Then it was all clashing of swords, and shouting, and blood…

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

…and then in a jarringly short amount of time it was over, the assassin lying motionless in the aisle, and the survivors standing raggedly around in a circle panting for breath.

“Thank the Nine!” Jauffre gasped. “You couldn’t have come at a more needful time. And this…” he broke off, looking more closely at Martin, recognition flooding into his face. “You found him…!”

“Yes,” said Shamanih, sinking onto a pew. As in Kvatch, now the battle was over the hurts her body had been ignoring were insistently tuning back in. Her arm and side were deeply bruised from Martin’s push, and somehow she’d gotten cut across her chest. She could feel the sting of the wound and the stickiness of blood under her armour.

There was no time for introductions. “The Amulet,” Jauffre said urgently, his words marred by the speed of his breath; he wasn’t a young man, and the fight had obviously taxed him. “I hid it, but I know there were more of those devils – quickly!”

He didn’t wait for a reply, but bolted out the door and towards the Priory House. Sharing the now-familiar look of dread with Martin, Shamanih followed.

<3

Edited by Rumpleteasza, 02 March 2011 - 03:38 PM.

The King and I
The Emperor and I

#17 Rumpleteasza

Rumpleteasza

Bargain-Bin Bondgirl

• 288 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 11:28 AM

Thanks so much Ryu! I'm really glad you're enjoying it ^_^

The King and I
The Emperor and I

#18 Ryu Doppler

Ryu Doppler

• 523 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 11:50 AM

And another great chapter! I love it! :clap:

It so makes me want to try my own hand at a story, but I always seem to get the worst writers block. <_<

#19 Rumpleteasza

Rumpleteasza

Bargain-Bin Bondgirl

• 288 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 12:09 PM

Well I have begged you for Glenn's story before, I'm not opposed to doing it again! Please? :ph34r:

The King and I
The Emperor and I

#20 Ryu Doppler

Ryu Doppler

• 523 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 12:37 PM

Well, since you asked so nicely. :lol: I'll honestly try to see if I can't come up with something. I'll need to read up on a few things first though.