About Shambling Mounds

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 07:05 AM

I've decided to modify The Guardian's Summon Shambler ability. It will now act according to the level of the Druid who is using the shield. What I also wanted to do was to restore some of the Shambler's PnP abilities. To make things clearer, here's the description from the Monstrous Manual:

Shambling Mound

CLIMATE/TERRAIN:Swamps or sub-terranean
FREQUENCY: Rare
ORGANIZATION: Solitary
ACTIVITY CYCLE: Any
DIET: Omnivore
INTELLIGENCE: Low (5-7)
TREASURE: B, T, X
ALIGNMENT: Neutral
NO. APPEARING: 1-3
ARMOR CLASS: 0
MOVEMENT: 6
HIT DICE: 8-11
THAC0: 8 HD:13, 9-10 HD:11, 11 HD:9
NO. OF ATTACKS: 2
DAMAGE/ATTACK: 2-16/2-16
SPECIAL ATTACKS: Suffocation
SPECIAL DEFENSES: See below
MAGIC RESISTANCE: Nil
SIZE: L (6'-9' tall)
MORALE: Fanatic (17-18)
XP VALUE: 8 HD: 6,000 (+1000 for each Hit Die)

Shambling mounds, or shamblers, appear to be heaps of rotting vegetation. They are actually an intelligent form of plant life, with a roughly humanoid shape, and a brain-like control center in its ``chest'' area. A shambler has a 6-foot girth on its lower half, tapering to about 2 feet at its ``head.'' Shambling mounds are found only in regions of dense rainfall and vegetation. Dismal swamps, marshes, and rain forests are their favorite living areas, but some wet, subterranean places also serve as shambler lairs. They are solitary beasts, rarely living in the same area with other shamblers -- usually only in areas where the food source is constant, near famous ruins, or abandoned gold mines.

Shamblers are almost totally silent and invisible in their natural surroundings; opponents suffer a -3 penalty to surprise rolls. A shambler often lies in a shallow bog, waiting for some creature to walk onto it, then it attacks. The creatures are excellent swimmers as well, and they have been known to sneak into the camps of unsuspecting travelers at night.A shambling mound attacks with huge, arm-like appendages; a victim hit by both arms in the same round is entangled in the creature's slimy vines and rotting vegetable matter. Entangled creatures suffocate in the slime in 2d4 rounds unless the shambler is killed, or the victim breaks free with a successful bend bars/lift gates roll.

Because of the vegetation which covers its critical inner body, the shambling mound is immune to blunt weapons, and takes only half damage from piercing and slashing weapons. The creature is immune to fire, and takes half or no damage from cold, depending on whether it makes its saving throw. Lightning actually causes a shambler to grow, adding 1-foot to its height, as well as 1 HD and appropriate hit points, for each lightning-based attack used against it.Because of the location of its brain, the shambler cannot be killed by lopping off its head or limbs. The remaining vines along the torso join together to form a new extremity within one round. Only when enough of the shambling mound has been hacked away, will it finally die. A wounded shambler need only rest in a damp clump of foliage to heal; it rises again in 12 hours, fully healed, and probably angry.Since shamblers gain power from electrical attacks, there are rumors of shambling mounds with 20 or more Hit Dice. Since they often live in the same areas as will-o'-wisps, there may be truth to such rumors, and giant shamblers may inhabit deep, dark swamps and jungles.

Based on this info and the ToB Shambling Mound, I've created three of my custom versions:

Druid Level 1-14

Lesser Shambler

Level (HD) 12
STR: 18
DEX: 10
CON: 16
INT: 7
WIS: 7
CHA: 7
AC:  4
THAC0: 9
Hit Points: 80
Regeneration: 1 hit point every 5 seconds

Attacks: 2 per round (2d4 crushing damage per attack, 50% chance to Entangle opponent on hit save vs spells at +2 to avoid)

Saving throws:
Paralyzation/Poison/Death 7
Rod/Staff/Wand 9
Petrification/Polymorph 8
Breath Weapons 8
Spells 10

Resistances:
Magic Damage: -50
Acid: 0
Poison: 0
Cold: 25
Electricity: 127
Fire: 50
Crushing: 30
Piercing: 15
Slashing: 15
Missile: 15

Druid Level 15-24

Shambling Mound

Level (HD) 16
STR: 20
CON: 18
AC:  2
THAC0: 5
Hit Points: 110
Regeneration: 1 hit point every 4 seconds

Attacks: 2 per round (2d6 crushing damage per attack, 50% chance to Entangle opponent on hit save vs spells to avoid)

Saving throws:
Paralyzation/Poison/Death 4
Rod/Staff/Wand 6
Petrification/Polymorph 5
Breath Weapons 4
Spells 7

Resistances:
Cold: 50
Fire: 75
Crushing: 60
Piercing: 30
Slashing: 30
Missile: 30

Druid Level 25+

Greater Shambler

Level (HD) 20
STR: 22
CON: 20
AC:  0
THAC0: 1
Hit Points: 140
Regeneration: 1 hit point every 3 seconds

Attacks: 2 per round (2d8 crushing damage per attack, 100% chance to Entangle opponent on hit save vs spells at -2 to avoid)

Saving throws:
Paralyzation/Poison/Death 3
Rod/Staff/Wand 5
Petrification/Polymorph 4
Breath Weapons 4
Spells 6

Resistances:
Cold: 50
Fire: 90
Crushing: 90
Piercing: 50
Slashing: 50
Missile: 50

As you can see I've toned down the resistances a bit and added a vulnerability to Magical Damage (i.e. Horrid Wilting, Skull Trap, Magic Missile etc.) This vulnerability was added because Shambling Mounds are supposed to be plant creatures which in term are supposed to be very vulnerable to Horrid Wilting, but since this was not properly implemented in BG2 I decided to do it this way. BTW, I haven't included the 'suffocating slime' but I've added the entangle on hit effect instead. The Shamblers are immune to Charm and Sleep spells and Entanglement, but they have no further spell immunities and can be instantly slain by Death Spell or Death Fog as all other summons. Also, they will no longer be directly controllable by the player and will run on an AI script instead. Nonetheless, they will still be considered allies so you will get XP for any kills which they might make. BTW, if a non-Druid (i.e. a Thief or Bard with UAI) tries to use the shield, the summoned Shambler will turn hostile and attack him and the shield will be destroyed.

What do you think of this idea? Would these new shamblers prove too powerful for BG2/ToB (consider the required Druid levels) or are they perhaps too week ? Post your comments or suggestions.

#2 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 11:43 AM

Fine changes, to say the least.
You could add the "suffocate" effect to the greater shambler, I think the ToB S.Mounds use something similar when they manage to entangle a character. Or perhaps they crush you in time? :P Anyway, why not using the original ToB Mound.itm to the greater shamblers? It is already there, and quite well made.
It will be as you make it, but I don't see too much logic in making them act by self. I mean a high-level druid has a powerful link with nature, and SHOULD be avle to control a being like a shambler.
The idea on thieves&bards using the shield sounds perfect, do it! :ph34r: :D
Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.

#3 Seifer

Seifer

The best Anti-Paladin weapon is a tin opener...!

• 4505 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 04:27 PM

Fine tune up. Look foward to seeing it in action.

how come you always look so damn cool in every photo I see you in?!?

Speaking of modding, I listened to IER 3 yesterday, so you can have another quote for your signature: how come you sound so damn cool, as well as look it? It's unfair. Seriously.

Still a cyberjock, still hacking the matrix, still unsure of what that means.

TeamBG member - http://www.teambg.eu

#4 Caedwyr

Caedwyr

Wraith Editor

• 962 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 06:55 PM

I agree with Seifer, the item looks good. I also like the idea of non-druids being unable to control the Shambler, and causing the shield to break. You might want to make a note of how only druids can safely control the power of the shield in the description, otherwise you'll probably be getting a few bug reports.
"Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil." - Ferret

PnP Celestials
Geomantic Sorcerer Kit

#5 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 08:47 AM

Thanks for the heads up fellows. I have checked the ToB MOUND.ITM as T.G. suggested, and I found that the 'slime suffocation' effect has been more or less properly implemented there. It seams that, if the target fails a saving throw vs. spells, on each hit its hit points will drop by a certain amount (I think it's 25%) and they will continue to drop every three seconds thereafter until the end of the round. Now, this may be the (almost) proper form of the ability but it seams too powerful to be put at the player's disposal.

I've created a compromise ability which adds a certain amount of extra crushing damage in 3 second intervals if the target fails its save. This damage varies for each Shambler type, so the Lesser Shambler does +6 extra crushing damage (3x2) in a nine second entanglement interval. The Shambling Mound does +12 extra crushing damage (3x4) and the Greater Shambler does +24 crushing damage (3x8). Note that this extra damage only applies if the victims fail the base saving throw for the Entanglement effect, which I have slightly raised to make it a bit less powerful. The entanglement percentages remain the same (50% -> 75% -> 100%) but the saving throws were upped and they are now 4 -> 2 -> 0 from the least to the most powerful Shambler. I would edit the first post in the thread to reflect this but some kind of a forum bug prevents me from doing so...odd.

Also, the Shambler's AI is shaping up nicely. The creature will automatically follow its summoner and aid him if he is a Druid. It will always turn hostile if summoned by a non-druidic character and the Guardian buckler will be destroyed in the process. I have made a note in the item's description about this, and I've also added a pile of 'Broken oak leaves' as an item which replaces the destroyed shield:

Broken oak leaves

Without the guiding hand of a Druid the enchantments of the shield disperse, and the once trusted guardian attacks its false summoner. What remains behind is a pile of broken oak leaves.

BTW, I've toned down both of my custom bucklers a bit and increased their base price to prevent them from being acquired too early. Here are the changed descriptions:

The Guardian +2

This odd shield seams to be entirely made up of large hardened leaves. The unusual shape and size of these leaves suggests they came from ancient oak trees which grow deep in the Forest of Mir. Upon closer examination powerful druidic enchantments can be discovered emanating from the shield's surface and it seams to slightly increase the health of its owner while held. Every morning, at sunrise, one of the leaves glows faintly for a moment. It can then be picked and planted into the ground while another instantly grows back to take its place. After the proper incantation is spoken, the planted leaf will grow into a fearsome Shambling Mound who's strength depends on the skill of the Druid. Because of its unique origin, the power of this shield can only be unlocked by the most devoted of Nature's followers.

STATISTICS:

Armor Class Bonus: 3
Abilities:
Hit Point Max:  +5
Summon Shambling Mound once per day
Special:  No Missile/Piercing Attack Protection
Weight: 1
Requires: 4 Strength
Only Usable By:
Druids

Rogue's Ward +2

This buckler shows traces of an enchantment often used by clerics of Mask. The Shadowlord blessed this shield with his touch to hide and guard those who follow him from any dangers which they might encounter in their risky professions. Therefore, the owner of this buckler can evade death magics more easily and even gains a slight resistance to all other spells. The surface of the shield is dark and very smooth. It can reflect the image of its wielder to fool enemies in times of need.

STATISTICS:

Armor Class Bonus: 3
Save vs. Death: +4 bonus
Magic Resistance: +2%
Casts Mislead once per day
Special:  No Missile/Piercing Attack Protection
Weight: 2
Requires: 4 Strength
Only Usable By:
Thief
Bard

As you can see the guardian is now usable by all Druids, not just single classed ones as before, but the HP bonus has been reduced. Also, I've noticed a nice side effect of my Summon Shambler spell. It actually requires a certain number of Druid levels to successfully summon the better Shamblers. Therefore, even a lvl 40 Thief or Bard with UAI would only summon a Lesser Shambler, and the multi classed Fighter/Druids (like Jaheira) will never reach lvl 25 and thus will not be able to summon a Greater Shambler.

#6 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 01:14 AM

Nice changes.
Maybe the Staff of Woodlands should be made "unusable" by high level thieves and bards as well. just as the Guardian buckler.
Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.

#7 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 05:01 AM

T.G. Maestro wrote:

Maybe the Staff of Woodlands should be made "unusable" by high level thieves and bards as well. just as the Guardian buckler.

Hmm...I could do that yes, but for I'd have to make the staff summon my improved Shamblers for it to work and I'd rather test them more thoroughly first. BTW, to get back at your previous question:

It will be as you make it, but I don't see too much logic in making them act by self. I mean a high-level druid has a powerful link with nature, and SHOULD be avle to control a being like a shambler.

A valid point, however this was done because of balance issues, not because of roleplaying reasons. An experienced player could certainly (ab)use the Shamblers' abilities to their maximum potential if he was allowed to control them directly, and that could in term unbalance the game even more, so I decided to make the creatures run on an AI script similarly to my Spirit Warrior or Bodhi and Balthazar in Ascension.

BTW, since I've just released version 2.34 you all now have the opportunity to test out the new Shamblers. Please do so and post your impressions here. Note: since there was no Lesser Shambler animation in BG2 (small avatar) I had to use the Lesser Earth Elemental avatar and 'paint' it green :lol: I hope it doesn't look too weird...