• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 05:48 AM

Today being my birthday, I thought I'd share a special treat with y'all-Darian's original romantic intentions, complete with the lovetalks and epilogues.

When I first came up with Darian's concept, I had actually intended Darian to romance Imoen, with no Charname romance.

This changed as I decided to propose Darian as an actual mod. For one thing, there are already three mods romancing Imoen (Mirrabo's Charname-Imoen, Chloe, and Kelsey) and I wasn't about to take them on on their own turf. But also, as I began to write Darian's romance with Charname, Darian evolved as a character. In the original concept, he was a much friendlier individual, as was the background on his people. He was more quiet than aloof, and had none of the xenophobia that is now the hallmark of Darian's people. I think Darian and Imoen did fit well together-he began to serve as a pillar of strength and stability for her, and she in turn deeply endeared herself to him. Amongst some other details, Darian's surname also changed. Finally, Imoen's relationship with Darian was the main vehicle for exploring Darian's people-even now, in his romance with Charname, you don't learn nearly as much about the Avariel.

Shown below is the full array of all their lovetalks. Many of these were only at an early stage of development, so they are nothing near polished, and there is a lot of parenthetical dialogue, but here is the full story of what might have been.

(Upon Imoen joining the party)

Darian: So you are the one we?ve come all this way to rescue. I am Darian Syrilis, Talon of Myrrhavin.

Imoen: Wow! An Avariel! And you?re here with <CHARNAME>? A pleasure to meet you.

Darian: Likewise.

Darian-Imoen Lovetalk 1

Imoen: Hey, Darian, why are you traveling with us? I thought your people preferred to stay above the concerns of other races, but you?re traveling with us, trying to stop Irenicus.

Darian: I don?t know if I?d go that far, Imoen. My mission was to investigate rumors of an Avariel named Aerie imprisoned in Athkatla. After we rescued her, <CHARNAME> told me about you and your capture. It sounded interesting, and I thought it would not take too much time. Needless to say, things have gotten a little out of hand.

Imoen: Yeah, I know what you mean.

Darian-Imoen Lovetalk 2
(At rest)

Darian: Imoen, I know you were raised together with <CHARNAME>, in Candlekeep, and that
a man named Sarevok slew your foster father Gorion, and set you on a long journey that has ended, for the night, here. <CHARNAME> also said that you tagged along, even though Gorion did not take you with him. Why did you follow them?

Imoen: Well, I was really curious. And I had filched a letter from Gorion that looked ominous. Besides, <CHARNAME> was my <PRO_BROSIS>, and there was no way <PRO_HESHE> was going off on an adventure without me!

Darian: Somehow, this does not surprise me in the least. But what I?m trying to ask is, although <CHARNAME> began having dreams about <PRO_HISHER> taint during your travels on the Sword Coast, did you have any idea you were a little...unusual?

Imoen: Not really. Every so often, I would get a momentary flash of viciousness, especially in battle, but I just wrote it off to simple tension. I figured it was getting to me. I?m not exactly a superhuman. (Grin)

Darian: (Chuckling) Oh, I know far too well what you mean. The tension gets to everyone, sooner or later. Just look at Minsc.

Darian-Imoen Lovetalk 3

Imoen: Darian, what was your home city of Myrrhavin like?

Darian: I?m not really sure how to describe it to you, but I?ll give it a try. It is located on a high mountain plateau, where we would look down at the clouds. You would consider the city a sprawling place, very open and airy. It is a rather busy city, people always about and active, especially in the evening, when we would all come together at the Temple for services. The few ground-based visitors also found that navigating the city was complicated, and more than a little daunting.

Imoen: Daunting? I didn?t think the Avariel made their cities very intimidating.

Darian: We don?t. But for obvious reasons, heights mean little to us, and the concept of being afraid of heights is completely alien to us. Most groundlings aren?t so lucky in that regard. Myrrhavin is easily navigable by those with wings, but trying to find a ground route to any particular location is difficult. The city, though, is beautiful beyond anything I?ve ever seen. We press cloud into service as a building material, and great sculptures, paintings, and monuments are widespread. Myrrhavin is the largest Avariel city we know of, and close to a hundred thousand of us live there.

Imoen: For a largest city, that?s not very big.

Darian: We?re not exactly a prolific race, Imoen. By the numbers, Avariel are the rarest elves in the Realms, and elves as a whole are not very numerous compared to humans, dwarves, and halflings.

Imoen: I never thought about that. But it sounds beautiful. I would really like to visit someday.

Darian: I would be happy to show you around.

(Upon entering the Underdark)

Darian: The Underdark. A fitting name, but I would really rather be somewhere else... anywhere aboveground.

Imoen: (Grinning) I think this is the first time I?ve heard to express trepidation, Darian.

Darian: I?m accustomed to flying above the land, not crawling under it.

Imoen: Wimp.

Darian-Imoen Lovetalk 4

Imoen: So, Darian, what exactly is a Talon?

Darian: A Talon is sort of like a paladin. The Avariel have a fairly substantial standing army, or whatever you would call an airborne force, but the Talons are a special case. We can be drawn from all flights of life, from young priests and priestesses with a taste for battle, to warriors identified as having extraordinary potential, and far more. We?re trained and equipped better than the average warrior, we are dedicated servants of Aerdrie Faeyna. In normal circumstances, Talons are little different from most warriors, although we tend to be entrusted with more sensitive and more important tasks. When necessary, we tend to be given more difficult and specialized tasks, such as infiltrating a human city.

Imoen: That?s odd. Why would a people who live in seclusion above the clouds want an army? You?re certainly not known as an aggressive people.

Darian: (Sighs) We?re not warlike out of desire, but out of necessity. We have been attacked countless times, especially when we tried to live below the clouds. In the end, we retreated to our heavily fortified cloud-cities, which are difficult to find at best. Like our social system, our armies are not something we particularly value, but something we need.

Darian-Imoen Lovetalk 5

Imoen: Who?s Aerdrie Faeyna? I?ve heard you mention her several times.

Darian: Aerdrie Faeyna is the elven goddess of weather and air, but she has a special meaning for the Avariel. We are her personal charges, and she looks after us. Worship of any other deity is virtually unknown amongst us. We?re also a very spiritual people, and the Temple is the real heart of any city. The temples cannot be accessed except by flight, and are the most heavily fortified buildings in the entire city.

Imoen: I never knew that.

Darian-Imoen Lovetalk 6

Imoen: Darian, how do the Avariel treat other races?

Darian: Before I answer, I have a few questions of my own. Curiosity about the Avariel is one thing, but you?ve been asking me about much that has no particular relevance to you. Imoen, I value you as a friend, but all this is beginning to make me feel a little uncomfortable.

Imoen: Didn?t <CHARNAME> warn you about me? (Grins)

Darian: Mostly <PRO_HESHE> warned me to not let myself be taken advantage of by you. (Grins)

Imoen: You should have listened!

Darian: Yes, I should have.

Darian-Imoen Lovetalk 7
(When waking up from rest)

Imoen: Rise and shine, Darian! (Throws an enchanted blob of water at him)

Darian: Argh! Who...what! IMOEN!!!

Imoen: Ooh, are you actually gonna do something, mister Talon?

Darian: (Getting out of his sleeping bag) I can tell this is going to be one of those days... (Runs after her)

Imoen: (Laughing and running) Catch me if you can!

Darian: Come here, you little imp!

Imoen: (Deftly evading his grab) You?ll have to do better than that!

Darian: How about this? (Slams wings forward, knocking Imoen off her feet)

Imoen: Hey, no fair!

Darian: And since when have you been concerned about fairness?

Imoen: (Darting forward) You?re right... I don?t! Hey, are you ticklish? (Begins tickling Darian)

Darian: You, stop that! Ah! (succumbs to Imoen?s assault)

Imoen: (A demonic grin on her face) Are your wings ticklish?

Darian: (Makes no intelligible noise)

(This goes on for several minutes, and by the end, Imoen and Darian are on the ground, exhausted by their struggle)

Darian: Haven?t...felt... this... tired... since... training...

Imoen: (Grinning) So the big winged knight isn?t so tough, after all, eh?

Darian: (Trying to recover his composure) Dragons are... one thing. You?re... something else.

Imoen: Let?s do this again sometime, then.

Darian: Aerdrie... forbid...

Darian-Imoen Lovetalk 8

Imoen: Ready for another round of interrogation?

Darian: (Shrugs) I don?t see any way to get out of it, so field your questions.

Imoen: Now is that really a good attitude? But anyway... how do the Avariel treat humans?

Darian: (Sighs) That?s a little complicated. On a basic level, the Avariel have no real problem with humans. However, the Avariel are wary of them at best.

Imoen: Any particular reason why?

Darian: Human wizards harvest wings, like those of Avariel, for their spells. And they can easily burn away our wings with their spells.

Imoen: How horrible! I assume you know that I would never do something like that?

Darian: I?ve been praying that you wouldn?t.

Imoen: You should know me better than that by now! But I have another question. Are there such things as half-Avariel?

Darian: This line of questioning is making me very nervous, but yes, there are. They are also very, very unusual. Humans usually aren?t given a warm reception by the Avariel, and most humans have... reactions when they meet one.

Imoen: Reactions? What kind?

Darian: Mostly thinking we?re angels, or archons, or some other celestial creature. That sort of thing rather exasperates most Avariel. Some, however, use it to take advantage of humans.

Imoen: You mean, they try to do things like trick people into giving up their possessions and money, that sort of thing?

Darian: If only it was as reasonable as that. No, it is not unknown for Avariel to pose as angels and seduce humans. Only a handful of scholars and wizards are aware of our existence, and those generally aren?t found in rural areas. If it is a human woman, the town tends to think it is a divine child, like an Aasimar. Granted, the child rarely comes to a bad end, and is generally a good and productive force, but the principle of the thing offends most Avariel.

Imoen: And if the Avariel is female? And gets pregnant?

Darian: Information is sketchy, as there are so few instances of that happening. According to the tomes, they were treated like flightless Avariel-generally pitied, suffering a more passive and less malignant form of rejection.

Imoen: How sad...

Darian-Imoen Lovetalk 9

Darian: Imoen, what was it like, growing up in Candlekeep?

Imoen: Huh? Do my ears deceive me? Darian actually wants to know something about me?

Darian: Well, I know a lot about you, but it?s all information <CHARNAME> told me, so I have no idea if it?s accurate or not.

Imoen: (Laughs) Yeah, I know what you mean. It was kind of peaceful, raised by monks and scholars. <CHARNAME> and I were probably among the best-educated children in the Realms. We learned a lot, from Gorion and others. I found it stifling, though. I always wanted to go out and explore, do something crazy and unexpected.

Darian: From what I?ve heard, you did a fair amount of that anyway.

Imoen: I never denied those stories, now did I? But I was a handful, even for a little girl. Most parents would have just given me a spanking, and that may or may not have set me straight, but Gorion actually encouraged my curiosity and drive. I exasperated him frequently, but he was always supportive. However, I spent more time in the inn, with Winthrop.

Darian: Wasn?t he the innkeeper?

Imoen: Yup. He taught me a lot. <CHARNAME> always looked up to Gorion as <PRO_HISHER> father, but I turned to Ol? Puffguts. When we returned to Candlekeep after journeying to Baldur?s Gate the first time, he was really proud of me and everything I?d done. Like me, he felt the world needed a good kick in the arse every now and then. I... wonder what he?d say if I could talk to him now... (Tears running down her face)

Darian: (Wiping her tears away) Imoen, I?m sure he?d be even more proud of you. Just think of all you?ve accomplished. Yes, <CHARNAME> tends to hog the spotlight, but you?ve been right beside him every step of the way, and when you were captured, all <PRO_HESHE> could think about was rescuing you. The things we?re doing will be remembered in songs and legends, Imoen. Yes, <CHARNAME> will probably be at the center, but you will be mentioned in every verse and chapter. So what if you?re not the big hero? I don?t think that?s someone you want to be, either.

Imoen: (She gazes at Darian, listening, then makes an awkward smile) You?re right, Darian. I was being a fool, and I?m glad you stepped in. Sorry for being a wimp.

Darian: You have nothing to be sorry about. And you?re not a wimp. Far from it.

Imoen: (Rests her head on his shoulder): Thank you. For everything.

Darian-Imoen Lovetalk 10

Imoen: Darian, why are you still hanging around with us?

Darian: What do you mean?

Imoen: Oh, just that I think you said your mission was to rescue Aerie.

Darian: It was. But I decided to extend my assistance to <CHARNAME> by offering to remain with the party until you were rescued.

Imoen: In case you can?t tell, I?ve been rescued.

Darian: Your body and mind have, but your soul is still captured.

Imoen: We can take care of that. You can go back to Myrrhavin now.

Darian: I can return, but on the other wing, I can?t, really.

Imoen: Why not?

Darian: Well, your soul?s been stolen by an elven vampiress (which I didn?t know was possible until recently), your brother?s soul has been stolen by an insane mage, they?ve made bargains with the Drow, and are attacking a major elven city. Granted, I?ve been away so long that my commander probably has assumed the worst, but I just can?t fly away.

Imoen: From the crisis... (with an enchanting smile) Or from me?

Darian: I pray to Aerdrie Faeyna that you aren?t really expecting me to answer that question.

(This next scene is upon entering the graveyard for the Bodhi finale. I hope you can figure out the way Charname's responses are organized)

Bodhi: Ah, Imoen. I?m almost shocked to see you still alive.. for now. Maybe I should give you a little bite, and take your body, as well as your soul. It would be a most satisfying conclusion to this sad little story.

Darian: If you want Imoen, you?ll have to get through me, bitch.

Bodhi: So this is the big winged elf. I see you?ve formed an attachment to little Imoen. It won?t last, you know. I have her soul, and there?s really no point in caring about someone with no soul.

Darian: That is a temporary condition. I will see to it.

Bodhi: Imoen, what would you do if I took your knight in shining armor, instead? Would you cry? Or would you fall into an abyss? Perhaps you will be consumed with rage. A most delicious experiment, don?t you agree?

Darian: If you would take one of us, I?ll bury a sword in your unbeating heart. You have Imoen?s soul, and there is no need to hurt her further.

Bodhi: So you are as noble as they say. No, I think I will destroy you both. You?re a little too dangerous to join the herd. Nothing personal.

(After Bodhi leaves)

Imoen: Darian, did you really mean what you said?

Darian: Yes, Imoen. The thought of that kind of desecration occurring to you was anathema. I think I know that we?re more than just friends, Imoen.

Imoen: I know that I know that we?re more than just friends. But I was never expecting you to offer something like that. I don?t think anyone?s ever done anything like that for me.

Darian: It?s called-(he notices your gaze)-er, let?s have this talk later. I think <CHARNAME> wants to talk to me.

Imoen: I?m guessing <PRO_HESHE> wants to talk to you about me...

Darian: So... <CHARNAME>, I guess you know about the... relationship Imoen and I are developing. I want to know if this is... okay with you.

1. Darian, I?m glad you and Imoen have found something in each other, but I hope you?re ready for what comes with a Child of Bhaal. (A)
2. I?m not sure if I like this, Darian, but if Imoen chooses you, then so be it. I trust her judgement. (B)
3. Darian, I?m fine with it, but if you hurt her in any way, you will answer to me. Do you understand? ©
4. What you do on your own time is up to you. Just don?t let it become a problem. (D)
5. Darian, I don?t think this is the best thing for Imoen. Please let it drop. (E)
6. How dare you feel something like that for Imoen?! Stop, now!

A. Darian: Whatever comes, we?ll face together.
B. Imoen: Oh, I most definitely choose Darian. (Grins)
C. Darian: (Throws a mock salute) Threat received and understood, sir!
D. Darian: I don?t think it will be a problem. Imoen: Per se...
E. Darian: Well, I suppose so. I guess it?s finished, Imoen.
Imoen: Darian, don?t listen to him. <CHARNAME>, I appreciate your concern, but I think we?ll be okay.
F. Imoen: How dare HIM?! You?ve got a lot of balls, thinking you can give me orders for my personal life! Kill Bodhi if you want, I?m leaving! Darian: (Icily) My mission has been accomplished. I see no further need to remain in your company.

(This last scene was the culmination of their SoA romance, taking place at the tree of life)

Darian: (Hesitantly) That last conversation was cut off, but Imoen, I?ve realized something. Before now, I fought out of duty. That was not a bad thing, and it led to me meeting you. And since I?ve met you, you?ve had an influence on me that I would not have believed if an oracle told me. Imoen, I care about you deeply. Your life means more to me than mine does. And you have given me a new reason to fight: love. I... love you, Imoen. With all my heart.

Imoen: (Tears in her eyes) Oh, Darian, I love you too! Ever since we first met in Spellhold, my heart fluttered, and I just felt... more complete around you. I was terrified, though. The idea that I loved you scared me more than Sarevok, more than the loss of my soul, more than the prospect of this battle that is soon to come. I didn?t think you cared about me... you are aloof from everyone. But then I realized, in the Graveyard, that it didn?t matter to me. Your introversion, your culture, your wings... none of it mattered. Because you meant so much to me.

Darian: And I shied away from you at first, because I felt something inside of me that I had never felt before. I can handle an unknown creature or object, but this came from within. But when I looked into your eyes, in that dark fortress, I looked into something bigger than any dragon we?ve fought. I didn?t want to think that I was falling in love, because you are a human and a Child of Bhaal. But your race matters not to me. And your heritage something we can face... together... my love.

Imoen: (Crying) Oh, Darian!

ToB Lovetalk 1

Imoen: Darian, I have a question for you.

Darian: Yes?

Imoen: I know how you really would like to return to Myrrhavin when this is all over with. Do you... think they would welcome me?

Darian: I don?t know, frankly. It?s unprecedented for a human to desire to take up residency in an Avariel city. I would vouch for you, but I don?t know how much influence that would have. The Avariel are pretty suspicious of humans in general. It was human wizards who created spells that need magical wings, such as those of a winged elf, which left a scar on the Avariel psyche. If not, then I can always leave.

Imoen: You?d do that? For me?

Darian: Home is where the heart is, my love. And my heart lies with you.

ToB Lovetalk 2
(At rest)

Darian: Something seems to be bothering you, Imoen. Was it the cooking?

Imoen: (Tired grin) No, but thanks for asking. But... I?ve started having dreams. Really weird ones, like <CHARNAME> had after Gorion died. And like him, I?m starting to manifest... powers.

Darian: (Alarmed) What kind of powers?

Imoen: Nothing much. I can heal minor injuries and cure poison, those kinds of things, just by willing them to occur. I... think my heritage is starting to manifest itself. I don?t know if it was the torture or the loss of my soul, or if it was only a matter of time. I?m worried. I?m worried about what this could do to me, do to you... <CHARNAME> turned into the Slayer without warning and nearly killed us all.

Darian: Whatever happens, Imoen, I?ll be there for you.

Imoen: Then could you just, stay with me tonight? I just need to be near you, near your strength. The strength that may have to support both of us.

Darian: Anything you wish, my love.

Imoen: Just... hold me...

(The morning-after talk)

Imoen: What happened last night, Darian... thank you. Thank you for being there for me.

Darian: When I told you I?d be there for you, I meant it. (Grins slyly) Or were you thinking I meant something else?

Imoen: (Giggles) Oh, you really have loosened up!

ToB Lovetalk 3

Darian: The nightmares have been getting worse, haven?t they?

Imoen: Yes, but... how did you know?

Darian: I *do* know how you behave when you?re asleep, and more and more often, you?ve been rolling around and muttering things. I?ve been trying not to wake you up, but sometimes I?ve come close to doing so, just to bring you out of it.

Imoen: No... don?t. I think this is something I?ll need to deal with. <CHARNAME> was able to take control of <PRO_HISHER> taint-to a degree, anyway-and use it for good. I think I need to do the same thing, and not let it overwhelm me. And you?ve probably noticed my physical changes, as well.

Darian: (Nodding) You?re getting stronger and tougher, and are faster than any normal human. Sometimes, I can almost see something inside you rippling.

Imoen: And you still love me?

Darian: Imoen, even if you turned into the Slayer, I would love you. (Wraps a wing around Imoen) You do not need to face this alone. And just... I?ll always be here for you.

ToB Lovetalk 4

Imoen: Darian, I know this is a little late, but do you think we should get married?

Darian: Well, that?s really up to you. The Avariel do not practice marriage like humans do. Two Avariel who care deeply for each other simply bond, and though there is no formal ceremony, it is very real. Only the upper class holds any sort of ceremony, mostly because at that level, it is a much more serious matter. Now, granted, by this point in time, if I return to Myrrhavin, I?ll be pressed into the upper class, like it or not. The Avariel wouldn?t recognize a human wedding, but treat us like bond-mates.

Imoen: Well, since I?m human, I think we should get married, just to cover the bases.

Darian: That could be a problem.

Imoen: Why?

Darian: Finding time for a formal wedding amidst the chaos raging across the Realms right now would be difficult. And getting the permission of your father might be tricky.

Imoen: (Laughs) Yeah, but I think Winthrop would do the trick if you asked. Now, how about a dowry?

Darian: Well, as I recall, you more-or-less have access to everything I have. (He winks at her)

Imoen: (Grinning) We might want to make sure I?m up to date on everything when we turn in this evening.

Darian: (Also grinning) You really are a terrible influence on me, you know.

ToB Lovetalk 5

Imoen: Darian, I had another dream, but it wasn?t like any of the taint dreams. In the dream, I was standing on a mountain top, and a beautiful Avariel woman with long gold hair spoke to me. She said that soon, I would find myself on a narrow path between two worlds. She said that the path would end, and I would have to choose my world, and live with that choice, but I would be happy in either. I asked if another strode the same path, and she just smiled enigmatically, and I woke up. Do you know what that was about?

Darian: I?m hesitant to say this, but it sounds like a divine vision from Aerdrie Faeyna. This is most peculiar-as far as I know, she has never given a vision to a human before, and she very rarely gives them to ground elves. If she?s taken notice of you, then it probably has to do with our relationship-ours may be the first instance of a true relationship between an Avariel and a human.

Imoen: But I thought you said that there were known cases of half-Avariel.

Darian: I did. Aside from the odd case of rape or a night of passion, most were the result of an Avariel seducing a human. A human and an Avariel actually developing a relationship like we have is something new for the books.

Imoen: But if the goddess who is worshipped by the Avariel is appearing in my dreams, could it mean that I?m not entirely human anymore?

Darian: It could be. Or it could be something entirely different. I?m not a cleric.

ToB Lovetalk 6

Darian: Imoen, remember that dream you had, that might have been Aerdrie Faeyna?

Imoen: Yes, did you learn anything new about it?

Darian: No, but I had a dream that I am pretty confident was sent by her. An Avariel, much like the one you said appeared in your dreams, appeared to me, bearing an insignia that I instantly recognized as Aerdrie Faeyna?s holy symbol. She told me that I had served her long and well, and that in a short span of time, she would reshape a world in my heart. She blessed the change, and light overwhelmed me.

Imoen: So, do you think she?s saying that I will become an Avariel?

Darian: That would be unprecedented. Then again, (indicates <CHARNAME>) we seem to be making up the rules about what is and is not possible as we go along.

ToB Lovetalk 7

Imoen: Darian, these dreams we?ve had... I?ve been doing some thinking about them. About what they could mean for us.

Darian: I?m listening.

Imoen: It?s something I noticed when we met. You know I tend to have a severe case of wanderlust, and am never really comfortable when we?re in any one place for too long.

Darian: (Nods) Yes, I?m aware of that.

Imoen: Well, around you... I feel... almost at home. More so than at Candlekeep. I think these dreams might be omens that among your people, I might truly be at home. I think we were meant to find each other.

Darian: As early as a few months ago, I?d have pronounced that impossible and that you were reading far too much into a random dream. Now, I am not so sure. We?ve basically thrown the word ?impossible? off the cliff, and the major powers amongst the planes are taking notice of <CHARNAME>, and likely all who associate with him. You?re <PRO_HISHER> sister, which would guarantee higher notice, and you?ve fallen in love with me. We?re not low-profile, so as far as I?m concerned, anything and everything is possible.

ToB Lovetalk 8

Imoen: Darian, I?ve been thinking... about us.

Darian: Is there a problem?

Imoen: There could be. Darian, we never talked about this before, but it hit me that you?re an elf, and I?m a human. You?re similar to me in terms of how old you appear, but you?re far older than me. You?ll live for centuries, and I?ll be lucky if I see one.

Darian: Amidst present company, I never thought about life expectancy being an issue. But Imoen, I admit that I did think about this as well.

Imoen: And?

Darian: I knew that loving you could mean centuries of pain and loss for me. But I chose to accept this. No matter what happens, I love you, and always will, and will always be faithful to you. We will face the demons of time together, and I will stand by you to the end, no matter how it plays out.

Imoen: I?m not sure about that... but I do love you, and that is enough for me.

And at last, their romantic epilogues. The Darian-Imoen epilogues would have actually been the same epilogue, just split between the two characters. But here is the full Darian-Imoen epilogue that now will never be.

After the conclusion of the Bhaalspawn Crisis, Imoen chose to go with her beloved Darian, and travel to his home of Myrrhavin, obtaining a pegasus for the journey. She worried about whether the Avariel would accept her, and Darian readied himself to convince his people. Their worries were unfounded. Tales of their exploits had spread even to the secluded city of Myrrhavin, and they were welcomed as heroes. The Avariel joyously welcomed the return of their errant knight, and extended their welcome to Imoen, as well. Imoen reciprocated their hospitality, and soon found herself enveloped by the Avariel culture, where she found that she was truly at peace. The winged elves gladly welcomed her into their society, and were quick to adopt her as one of their own. Searching for the home she had long been denied, she found it in Myrrhavin, and even began attending temple services.

One year to the day after Imoen arrived in Myrrhavin, she stood before the altar to Aerdrie Faeyna with her beloved Darian, Aerdrie appeared before them, declaring that Imoen was an Avariel in spirit and soul, and would become one in body. A magical transformation enveloped Imoen, and when the light faded, she stood as a human no longer. Her features had sharpened, and her limbs became slimmer and far lighter. Most startling of all, two great wings of purest white emerged from her back. She was even gifted with the longevity accorded to the Avariel. Her people were no longer humans, but the Avariel. After her transformation, only those who knew her before the transformation knew what she once was.

Soon thereafter, Imoen and Darian departed Myrrhavin for a time, flying to Imoen?s childhood home of Candlekeep. To her shock, no one recognized her. Not the monks who had taught her, not the Watchers who had been constantly stopping her latest escapade, and not even Winthrop, the man who had served as her foster father. But when she introduced herself to him, not even her newly found elven nature could stop them from embracing like the proud father and equally proud grown daughter that they were. Much to their amusement, Darian then asked Winthrop for Imoen?s hand in marriage, which Winthrop gladly gave. They made plans to be married in Myrrhavin, in the Avariel fashion.

Their friends came from across the breadth of the Realms for the wedding. Imoen gifted Winthrop with a belt of levitation, and many of the residents of Candlekeep came. <CHARNAME> and <PRO_HISHER> family came, as did all of their old traveling companions and those they helped and were helped by along the way. All came to the beautiful city of Myrrhavin, hidden among the clouds. None, save those who knew from her visit to Candlekeep recognized her, and she played a joke on them, pretending to be their guide, then introducing herself for who she had become. Her transformation shocked them, but they soon got along like they always had.

Their wedding was glorious. From Elminster to Drizzt and <CHARNAME>, the great (and some not-so-great, like Volo) of the Realms who had met them along the way blessed their union, in what some described as the grandest event the ancient city among the clouds had ever seen. Some of their guests even stayed for a short while, learning about suspected dragon lairs, lost cities, and other sites the Avariel had little interest in.

Imoen would become one of the greatest sages and archmages in Avariel history. She used her knowledge constantly for the benefit of others, and later would write and share a lengthy tome on the Avariel, allowing the rest of the world a glimpse of the secret world above the clouds. That is not to say she had completely laid aside her adventuring, either. She and Darian would leave the city again and again, slaying a predatory dragon here, destroying a slaver encampment there. Nearby settlements benefitted greatly from their reclusive elven neighbors, even though very, very few knew they even existed.

Darian avoided the praise and adulation of his deeds as much as possible. He still saw himself as a soldier, not a hero. He declined numerous offers of a higher position amongst the Avariel military, preferring instead to become a drill-master, training young warriors in the arts of war, which he had mastered during his time with <CHARNAME>. Eventually, though, he reluctantly became the leader of the Talons, and a powerful force on Myrrhavin?s council. He never shirked his duty, and his dedication and valor would become the stuff of legend.

Darian and Imoen would live, even for Avariel, long and happy lives. They raised their twin daughters, Alynna and Julia, lovingly, and eventually a son, named Winthrop, as well. Their children were shocked to learn that Imoen had once been human, but like their father, had not a drop of human blood in their veins. They taught their children well, with love and care. Winthrop was gifted with magic, and had inherited a sense of wanderlust, and would leave the city at an early age. He would become a famed Avariel adventurer, though always in his parents? great shadows. Alynna found a more spiritual path, later becoming the high priestess of Aerdrie Faeyna within Myrrhavin. Julia took more after her father, and joined the Talons, being quick of body and mind. She too, would venture into the world beyond, and would one day lead a force of Avariel in battle alongside a surprised force of human paladins to combat an army of invading orcs and giants. Darian himself would pass peacefully away in his sleep, three long centuries after the Bhaalspawn Crisis ended. Imoen followed her husband a few short weeks later. They are hailed as the greatest heroes the Avariel have ever known.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#2 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 05:52 AM

Happy Birthday! :cheers:

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#3 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 11:49 AM

I suppose it's only natural that birthdays be a time for reflection, and I did a little thinking about how far Darian's come since I posted his concept here at SHS and began work.

It's no secret that Darian in his current, and final, incarnation is very different from the way I initially envisioned him. I actually hadn't intended to have Darian romance Charname at all-he just didn't strike me as the type to become emotionally close to anyone readily (and that hasn't changed), but I just didn't see any sparks of attraction between Darian and Charname, whereas Imoen definitely struck me as the type to go after someone she saw as unusual and exotic-qualities Darian has in spades.

But as I figured I might as well give a Darian-Charname romance a try, and I could always scrap it later if I was dissatisfied with the way it went. But I began to warm to the idea as I wrote, and I attribute most of the evolution in Darian's personality to writing the romance with Charname. As it was initially, Darian really was a pretty simplistic character-he was basically no more than a younger, elven, Keldorn. And I've never liked simplistic characters-even Minsc has certain depths to him. The most natural path to go down for making Darian a deeper character was to play up his defining attributes-he was an Avariel, and he was a Talon. At first, I kept Darian's nature as an Avariel fairly low-key, and kept it vague-he was an elf with wings, really, not a Menel'Quessir. But I started to draw on the lore I wrote for the Avariel in PnP, and things just really took off.

Darian became a much more withdrawn individual, crossing the line from quiet to downright aloof. He had also always had a certain arrogance-looking down on those who cannot fly. This evolved into full-blown xenophobia. The Avariel, as represented by Darian, also took on a certain edge. I wanted to make it clear that Darian's people were not the semi-harmless elves in most fantasy, but rather an extremely isolationist people with a major ruthless streak, and a "Shoot first, ask questions later" attitude. They aren't outright cruel, but they don't take prisoners, either. They see everything in terms of survival-a war, for the Avariel, can only end in the total annihilation of one of the participants. And with their current population barely equal to five percent of their civilization before their fall, desperation is a matter of course for the Avariel. This is the culture and the attitude from which Darian hails, and which he is sworn to uphold and protect.

Endowed with this redevelopment, I felt Darian was no longer suitable to a romance with Imoen, completely aside from the problems of the Mirrabo, Chloe, and Kelsey romances with Imoen. She'll still flirt with him a little (a cut-down version of the tickle scene, whose original incarnation I really enjoyed writing), but it will go no more than just a flirtatious talk or two. However, Charname's part in her romance with Darian does hit some of the same notes Imoen touched on with him (and you may notice some similar phrases pop up, in both his romance with Charname, and his romance with Mazzy, as well as a few phrases transferring to other things I've written). Ultimately, I felt Imoen was better off with someone who doesn't carry around as much cultural baggage as Darian does now, and his romance with her couldn't help but end on a sad or, at best, bittersweet note-the same problems a human or half-elven Charname will confront with him. And I'm not that fond of sad endings, though only two of Darian's five endings are completely happy.

Even after I decided Darian and Imoen weren't suited for a romance, I did in turn consider every female character for a romance with Darian-I really wanted Darian to have a romance with someone other than Charname, but deciding whom wasn't easy. Nalia was the first possibility to be discarded-they just plain don't work, except with some major redevelopment of her personality, and giving much more depth to her. This wasn't at all something I was adverse to doing, but Nalia and Darian just felt like a big stretch at the best of times. For a while, I actually seriously considered Darian and Viconia falling in love. Regardless of what her character sheet says, Viconia doesn't rate very high on the evil-o-meter, and with a little darkening of Darian's character, it was rather easy to see them falling in a love of sorts-they're both outsiders in Amn, both have a ruthless streak, and both heavily look down on humans (and most everyone else). But for it to really work, Darian would have ended up LN in alignment, and I didn't really want that to happen, so the possibility of half-drow half-Avariel (quite possibly the weirdest elven crossbreeds on the planet) went out the window. Aerie... is just a long, long story. It would have been easy to write a romance between them. Too easy, to be honest. I wanted Darian's npc-npc romance to add more depth to both characters, and if Darian romanced Aerie, "more depth" just wasn't in the cards.

Thus, it came down to Jaheira and Mazzy. Both strong, noble women with terrible loss in their immediate past. Deciding between them was very difficult, but it ultimately came down to Jaheira already having Charname as a potential lover, and Mazzy lacking anyone. Not the most profound of reasons to make the call, but there it is. I had always wanted Mazzy to have a special someone, and she does draw out some of Darian's best, but least prominent, attributes, such as his compassion, his empathy, and his capacity for outright kindness-things even Charname doesn't really see in the open. Darian, in turn, helps define and refine Mazzy's personality and history-her feelings for Patrick, why she is so determined to become a paladin, and other things that would qualify as spoilers for their romance.

I hope you enjoyed this insight into how Darian has evolved since mid-March when I first proposed his concept, and since last January or so, when I first wondered what would happen if a fully winged Avariel came to Athkatla.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#4 Solstice

Solstice

Fluffy Pink Bunny

• 956 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 12:57 PM

Very interesting. I like Darian's would-have-been romance with Imoen, even if their relationship does seem to come a bit out of the blue, and Darian sounds overly verbose, but the tickle scene was hilarious, and the ToB stuff, especially the epilogues, was very well done. I'm a little sad you decided to remove it (I always wanted Imoen to have someone, and Chloe and Kelsey provoke intense homicidal impulses-I'd never let Imoen suffer their romantic attentions), but I can also understand why. Some very touching moments, but Darian doesn't sound like the character image I've built up in my head, which I suppose is the point of why you ended up scrapping it.

Great insights on how he's evolved over time-I've considered starting modding, off and on, and it's nice to see that a character's final version can be so different and yet so similar to their original concept. The idea that you seriously considered a Darian-Viconia romance made me :blink: a little, but I suppose I can see how it could happen, after a fashion.

I wanted Darian's npc-npc romance to add more depth to both characters, and if Darian romanced Aerie, "more depth" just wasn't in the cards.

Poor Aerie. Guess she'll have to wait until Aklon over at Gibberlings3. :(

Happy birthday, and thanks for sharing all that!
"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!" -Charname, Baldur's Gate 1

"Power corrupts. And absolute power is actually pretty neat." -Tom Clancy

"Is it possible to take Favored Enemy: Forum Poster?" -Someone who shall remain anonymous

#5 Ankhes

Ankhes
  • 244 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 09:07 PM

Happy Birthday and thanks for all the dialog! :cheers: I personally like Immy but definately don't see Darian and her having a romance at all at least not now that he has evolved into someone quite different than how you began him.
I'm so very very happy he will romance Charname and I really cannot wait to work out all the issues they will have and learn and grow together.
I know you've heard this before but I am so impressed with all the work you have already done and how you have Darian and his story so fleshed out and how he will interact with others. This will be so intriguing! Another really cool thing about Darian for me will be how I will be sure to take him along even if (ouch!) my pc doesn't romance him all the time. :)

#6 Shilo

Shilo
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 03:52 AM

Belated birthday wishes, Tempest!

Good grief! You did all that work only to say "Actually... maybe not". You have more patience than a...a... very patient person.

It's amazing how a character you thought you had all planned in your head seems to evolve into someone quite different. This has happened to me frequently during NWN modding.

Good thing you did change your mind though, I never take Imoen with me simply because she gets up my nose and I wanna be the only rogue in the party. Thus I would never have seen the Imoen romance in game and would have had to read the .dlg files (Which I always do before I play... yes yes, I'm one of those that watches the end of a film first). Mind you I would have taken Darian along anyway purely for the joy of dragging another poor soul through Charname's personal hell and letting Charname get a new fwend/victim.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

#7 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 04:04 AM

I'm a little sad you decided to remove it (I always wanted Imoen to have someone, and Chloe and Kelsey provoke intense homicidal impulses-I'd never let Imoen suffer their romantic attentions), but I can also understand why. Some very touching moments, but Darian doesn't sound like the character image I've built up in my head, which I suppose is the point of why you ended up scrapping it.

I wanted Darian's npc-npc romance to add more depth to both characters, and if Darian romanced Aerie, "more depth" just wasn't in the cards.

Poor Aerie. Guess she'll have to wait until Aklon over at Gibberlings3. :(

That's your best bet. Actually, I'm really glad that Tempest did decide to scrap the Imoen romance idea, because I'm considering it as an optional NPC/NPC romance component for Gavin, but only if the PC is male (and doesn't tell Gavin to leave his little sister alone or he'll break his kneecaps.)

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#8 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 04:23 AM

Well, as I said, part of what led me to ultimately drop Imoen as a romantic interest was the number of mods targeting her for a romance. I fully understand why people (including myself) are drawn to Imoen for npc-npc romances: she's easily the most obvious choice for one, but I really didn't want to have to challenge the other mods on their own turf, especially given that Darian is my first attempt at a mod. The Darian-Imoen epilogue as written will always hold a special place in my heart in terms of how I think about Darian as a character, but most of their romance would have to be heavily rewritten to accommodate the changes in Darian's personality and in the Menel'Quessir, and I'm really quite happy with Darian's romance with Mazzy now.

Another thing of interest was that I had actually fully written Aerie's interference in the lovetalks, up to and including a new epilogue for her if Darian and Imoen fell in love, and Aerie didn't fall in love with Charname. I have to admit, though, that I really was harsh on Aerie in the epilogue, and she never really stood a chance.

Here's the full array of separate, special talks I wrote if Aerie was in the party for the Darian-Imoen romance-be on the lookout for the Darian quote in my signature, which has since been incorporated into one of his talks with Charname. :)

(In between lovetalks 3 and 4):
Aerie: Imoen, why are you so interested in Darian? He?s an Avariel Talon, not some lowly human warrior.

Imoen: Oh, I know! If he was just a human warrior who decided to accompany my brother, he wouldn?t be so... unusual. He is a very interesting man.

Aerie: But... you?re human. He?s Avariel. Why do you think he cares about you at all?

Imoen: Whether he actually cares about me doesn?t matter, Aerie. I?m trying to get to know a friend, not seduce him into bed.

(In between lovetalks 5 and 6):
Aerie: Why are you being so impolite with me? I thought Talons were supposed to be courteous and gentle.

Darian: Aerie, you don?t want me to do this.

Aerie: But why? Imoen is being so rude to you, asking all kinds of questions about our culture, and about you in particular. Why do you listen to her?

Darian: Aerie, I am going to try very hard to remain calm and polite. Yes, Imoen had been asking me a lot of questions about Avariel culture. But it is not your culture. You were captured when you were little more than a child. You know almost nothing of Avariel culture. All you have is the distorted image of a world viewed through a child?s eyes, and little bits of information you?ve heard since. You are an Avariel, but you are not one of the Avariel.

Aerie: But... I was captured. Are you saying I was wrong to help that little girl?

Darian: Not wrong, exactly. I would have done the same thing, but I am also a trained killer, not a young initiate in the priesthood. The choice would have been difficult, but that is the nature of the world. Inner strength is nothing less than the ability to choose between a wrong and a wrong.

Aerie: But, you?re so brave! You would not have been afraid, I know it!

Darian: You are wrong. The only difference between a brave man and a coward is the number of people who know he?s afraid. Your motives were pure, but it was disastrous, as you well know. It was something you could not handle, and all you did was cause more suffering. I?ve learned that lesson, as has <CHARNAME>, and as has Imoen. You have not.

Aerie: But why are you concerned about Imoen? You never answered my question.

Darian: Imoen is a friend, and I appreciate her curiosity. She is an inquisitive person, and that attribute is an asset to her. I do not see her narrowly, as you seem to, as a human girl. I see her as a brave and talented adventurer who?s been through the depths of a hell I pray I never see, and she has survived. What I... feel... about her is not your concern.

(After the big tickle scene)
Aerie: Imoen, why did you do that?

Imoen: (Grins) Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Aerie: But he?s a Talon! You have no right to do such things to him!

Imoen: (Smirks) He didn?t seem to object.

Aerie: That?s because you?re poisoning him, turning him against what he is! You?re manipulating him into becoming your creature!

Imoen: Is that what you think? I?ll tell you what I think. I think you?re in love with him, but he is not in love with you. You can?t stand the idea that he might be friends or more with a human. You?ve got this big image piled up in your head of a winged knight in shining armor coming to your rescue, and sweeping you off your feet. But reality has reared its ugly head, and disrupted that. Yes, I care about him. I?m not making a secret of that. But I would never resort to outright seduction! You have no idea what real adult life is, Aerie! Even among us, we?ve sheltered you. Grow up, Aerie!

Aerie: I... I refuse to believe this! Darian loves me, but you?re getting in the way! You?ve almost gotten him to the point where he?ll jump into bed with you! You?re a devious harpy, and you will never deserve a man like him!

Imoen: Delude yourself if you wish, Aerie. It changes nothing.

(In between lovetalks 8 and 9)
Darian: Imoen, what does Aerie keep going on about?

Imoen: Well... she is infatuated with you. She honestly believes that she loves you. And since we?re close friends, she?s a little...

Darian: Distraught?

Imoen: Paranoid. She thinks that deep within you love her.

Darian: (Shakes his head) But I?ve never encouraged her.

Imoen: That doesn?t matter. Aerie thinks I?m actively seducing you, poisoning your mind and turning you against her. And judging by that last conversation, she now thinks I?m doing it to harvest your wings for magic.

Darian: That poor girl. It seems obvious, now. By virtue of who and what I am, I am also a dream come true for Aerie. But, Imoen... I do not care for her. I protect her as a member of this party, and she is a friend... but I do not entertain any romantic notions about her. (He looks meaningfully at Imoen)

Imoen: (Returning his gaze) I know you do not. But she will never believe me, and she will never believe you. I can?t be mad at her, but...

Darian: Me, too.

(After the Graveyard scene: the Darian-Imoen-Aerie finale)
Imoen: Okay, Aerie. Let?s settle this.

Darian: Agreed. This will not be pleasant, but let?s lay this to rest.

Aerie: Very well. Darian, I love you.

Darian: (Looks at her sadly) No, Aerie, you do not. I was a dream come true to you, a brave knight boldly charging into the fray to rescue the beautiful maiden. But I was, and still am to you, a dream. Not reality.

Aerie: But can?t you see that Imoen has seduced you? She?s the bastard daughter of an evil god, and you?re a holy warrior of Aerdrie Faeyna! She?s not even an elf!

Darian: Imoen has not seduced me, Aerie. I care about her, and do so by my own free will. And why are you so obsessed over the fact that she isn?t an Avariel? This kind of thing isn?t bound by appearance, and Imoen and I can face her heritage together. I will say this flatly: I do not love you.

Aerie: I refuse to believe this! Please, my love, don?t be blinded by her enchantments and lies!

Darian: (With barely controlled anger) I am willing to tolerate a great many things from you, but that went over the line. You have no right to address me as your love: I do not love you at all. And do not accuse my friend of such things. Aerie, understand that I do not hate you or bear you any grudge, but you are acting insane. Leave the group itself if you must, but leave us in peace!

Aerie: Fine! I can see that you?re no dream vision! You have let yourself be seduced by this, this thing! When you awake one morning with your wings severed and your mighty self despoiled, do not come crying to me! I warned you!

Aerie lovers, don't worry: Darian takes a MUCH softer line on Aerie now. :)