Photo

Full releases via alpha/beta releases

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Poll: If you were to release/play a mod, would you choose (27 member(s) have cast votes)

Full release or an open alpha release?

1. Full release (16 votes [59.26%])

Percentage of vote: 59.26%

2. Open alpha release (11 votes [40.74%])

Percentage of vote: 40.74%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:43 PM

I see these obvious arguments pro and contra:

- an alpha/beta release is good, because you build on the players' feedback;
- but you get the biggest number of downloads during your first release, so chances are your subsequent releases won't be as popular, even though you do improve.

- an alpha/beta release is good, because you see people pointing out bugs and typos to you;
- but they may remember there were typos and bugs, and will reference your mod as such.

- an alpha/beta release is good, because people will play your mod sooner;
- but they may not enjoy a mod that was never thoroughly tested and polished.

Note: an open alpha/beta, not a private one.

#2 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

Living on Wings of Dreams

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 12:13 AM

As you are well aware I think Kulyok, I release in bits, or else I personally would go crazy if millions of bugs come in and the fact that I am afraid I will take to long for anyone to download.
I agree with the points you bring forward, but I think with a good version history, it shouldn't be too much of a problem, along with a good warning with the first few versions.

Still modding the Mod for the Wicked... It is a big project you know... And I got sidetracked (several times) a bit... sorry.
However, as we all know, Evil never really sleeps.

Sentences marking (my) life:

Winds of change... Endure them, and in Enduring grow Stronger
It takes a fool to look for logic in a man's heart
Never question the sanity of the insane
The Harmony of Life is Chaos
Living on Wings of Dreams

(1st march 2009) SHS women over me:
Kat: if there were more guys that looked like you out here, people's offspring wouldnt be so damn ugly
Noctalys: you are adorable :P

~~ I love it, and I am humbled! Yay! ~~

#3 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 12:22 AM

I'd go with the full release. All the perks of an open beta can be gained from a private one and all the downfalls of the mod can be polished before the full version is out, so a higher quality mod is delivered to the public, which in turn brings more attention/number of players and possibly more feedback because of it.

I'd like to add that unless an extremely major change takes place in a latter release, a mod's 'success' will probably be capped by the first impression it has on its players. A buggy, unfinished, cohesion-lacking mod will drive away people, even if the idea behind it was promising. Those that like/don't dislike it will focus on 'what could've been' instead of other things, and even if those are taken care of in the next version, the replaying experience won't have the same impact.

If a mod is already more than decent on its open beta, delaying it for a short while in order to perfect the details for a full release won't make much of a difference. Waiting extra time is not really an issue for BG gamers, I believe most of today's mods in progress/on hold have been announced and/or started being worked upon more than years ago, and people are still expecting them (I am, at least).

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#4 Gabrielle

Gabrielle

Do what thou wilt

• 1567 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:48 PM

BETAs and ALPHAs are all good. Sometimes a modder doesn't have the time to play the game, yet again, to test there mod. What better way to test it is by releasing a ALPHA or BETA.
For all of your BG modding needs: Chosen of Mystra.

This is The End.

#5 Jyzabyl

Jyzabyl

Order of the Radiantly Radiant

• 1468 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 05:04 PM

To each his or her own.
If you don't want to play a alpha/beta wait for a release. If you want to contribute to the process then be a beta tester.

Who's to say what's right for everyone?
True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing. And in knowing that you know nothing, that makes you the smartest of all. Socrates

Not only are female redheads frequently lovely but theirs is a loveliness that suggests both lust and danger, pleasure and violence, and is, therefore, to the male of the species virtually irresistible. Red O red were the tresses of the original femme fatale. Tom Robbins

The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Unless you know anthing about anatomy. In that case the way to a man's heart is through his ribs with a meat cleaver. Miss Jyzzy's Guide to Men.

Xtreme Versatility? Xpress Yourself!

#6 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 05:33 PM

I prefer closed betas and then full releases myself; and it's probably how my mods will be released. ;)

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#7 -Domi_Ash-

-Domi_Ash-

Posted 14 July 2007 - 10:24 AM

For me it depends on the amount of material to be tested and on how many 'closed' testers you can recruit and retain through the testing period. If the amount of material is overwhelming and the amount of testers is low, I would go public. Yes, there are the downsides of 'mod looks buggy in alpha'/'most people play on the first release', but then after you spent gazillion hours testing it on your own, and you've never seen bug X, and released it publically as not-alpha/beta, and someone got a CTD on your final "release" because they took a path you've never even dreamed of... well, I'd rather less people play a final version, to be honest.

#8 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 10:36 AM

Hate to say it, but I have to side with Domi on this one. When I had Gavin as a closed alpha I had precious few volunteers for testing. Opening it resulted in a lot more, and some invaluable bug-catching. I don't think I hosed anybody's installation, but I held off on making him compatible with "mega" installations until I knew for sure.

But I guess it depends on your definition of "beta." To me, "beta" means that it's been tested on a bunch of computers that aren't yours, and the more obvious bugs have been caught. It may still contain a few typos or non-game-breaking bugs. A full release means that it has been tested on anybody and everybody's installation and it still works. To me, a closed beta kind of rules that out. I'll probably continue to call something beta long past the point when many modders would call it "version 1."

Please understand here that I'm speaking as a private individual and as a modder, not as staff for SHS. As for SHS policy, that will be determined by the mod hosting committee, not by me alone.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#9 Gabrielle

Gabrielle

Do what thou wilt

• 1567 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 04:54 PM

Even though I may release alphas and betas, I will not play those type of mods or install that type of software. I don't want to be someone else's tester. I don't have the patience for bugs, crashes, etc. If it is advertised as a alpha/beta, fine, I'll wait until the full release is done.
For all of your BG modding needs: Chosen of Mystra.

This is The End.

#10 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 05:06 PM

Yeah, I've hosed my installation with an ill-advised download or two.

As long as the mods are identified as alpha/beta, I've got no objections to making them publicly available. There are mods out there in full versions 1, 2, 3, etc. that still require manually setting the console to bypass certain bugs. That tells me it should have stayed in beta a little longer.

Edited by berelinde, 14 July 2007 - 05:13 PM.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#11 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 05:31 PM

Completely closed alpha for my personal testing, private beta with a small number of testers reporting in a private workroom, and then full release.

I don't like to play public betas because I prefer to focus strictly on the gaming aspect of playing BG rather than waiting in suspense for a bug to emerge that will force me to stop playing.
DO ~SetGlobal("omgBbqRomanceActive","GLOBAL", 2)~

Gibberlings Three - IE Modding Community

#12 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 12:04 AM

I usually prefer the open development process myself - that is, the Unix philosophy of "release early and release often".

However, I don't feel that this works OK with our community because
- 99% of users (me included) ignore the 'alpha' tag and expect a seamless mod. Enough of those people get angry at the modder.
- 99% of modders disappear after the first alpha, leaving a dangling, sucky mod, in the hopes that somebody decides to refine it. Closed beta would be good at avoiding part of the litter mods.

In my case (WeiDU), I keep closed betas, but share the link to the beta with anyone I trust who asks for it, to let them check out whatever they need. I do this because
- auto-updating would be a nightmare if you want to go from 199 to 199+feature1 to 199+feature1+patch1.2 to 200-rc1 to 200 (as we compare the version integer, not the version string).
- I like to reserve the option of breaking backwards compatibility from a beta to another.
- I want to avoid a newbie modder to ship an unlucky version of WeiDU and wreak havoc like v187 did ;)

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#13 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 05:39 AM

Although I voted full release, in all truth it depends on the amount of time I have. Currently I'm well screwed for just that small commodity so when I get time to play I don't want to hit a showstopper. I have a background in both programming and QA and have had to reverse-engineer some of the most complex computer systems you ever want to come across (aviation stuff); this gives me a good feel for potential bugs when writing mods. I can't quite describe it but somehow I *know* when I've left a loose end in a piece of dialog or a quest. Consequently, I won't release anything until I believe it to be bug-free (which doesn't mean it *is* bug-free unfortunately - luckily I haven't yet had any problems reported with any of the party co-operation scripts yet). Time will tell if I've got it right when the 'un-named mod' that litters the DLTCEP tutorials masquerading as innocent illustrations gets released later this year.

-Y-

#14 cmorgan

cmorgan
  • Modder
  • 2301 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 05:50 AM

What I really, really wish is that we could get all of the folks who write mods to sit down occasionally and beat the ruggs 'til the bugs are toast on eachother's mod (code, not content - just the operationalization).

I know everyone has an opinion on content and such, but as I study you folk's mods, I realize exactly how many very smart, very detail oriented people there are out there and how much I don't know. I wish that there was a way of doing collaborative bugfixing, where each modders work eventually went under the wringer, tightening, fixing, and cleaning up code for eachother and teaching eachother.

When I win the lottery, expect a monthly salary to commence imediately, so that all of you are required to spend 10 hours per month working over each and every mod in the community until he absolute best efort is expended to make things work the way each author intends.

(Told you I dream big).

Edit: oh, the topic... right. Beta releases with enough time to get things fixed. To me, "Alpha" means "Not completed in any meaningful way to an end user, suitable for a small group of friends with willingness to blultly and completely kick my butt." "Beta" means "I think I have fixed most things but am not able to tell what other folks will do to it, so go ahead an play and find out areas that I have not thought throuh completely".

Edited by cmorgan, 18 July 2007 - 05:52 AM.

#15 Belladonna

Belladonna
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:06 AM

I prefer it to be done. I am not a fan of betas. When I play a game, mod, I expect it to function correctly and not give me many bug issues. All games have bugs, that is to be expected but something that kills the game experience is going to kill my interest in it.
Posted Image
Through inner peace leads to enlightenment.
Alora a mod in progress by yours truly.
My food mod.

#16 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 07:11 AM

I like open betas. :unsure:

I take "alpha" to mean "not bugchecked at all". Such early versions are probably better off closed, since it's likely too messy to be played "for fun". I don't really think it's necessary to wait for months for a "perfect" version, though. If I play a beta, I do so knowing full well that there may be bugs, and I certainly won't think less of the author if I happen to find some.

Those who want to wait for the final version are free to do so, but I like to have the option.

#17 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 07:29 AM

I agree with vilkacis, the alpha/beta releases are good for feedback and also getting the feel for on how much potential there is. While having the full release of a good mod is undeniably good, there is always room for improvement somewhere and its these early releases that could considerably help in that matter. It also wouldn't take as much time to correct bugs as it would with a full release, so cost-efficency is my guess. <_<

And yes, the author of the mod wouldn't be thought of any less, except probably by the person that forgot it wasn't the final release or something. ^_^

Classic Adventures - a Total Conversion compilation dedicated to bringing many of the old and new PnP modules into the wonderfully dangerous world that is Baldur's Gate II.   Fancy link button to Downloads page.

CA Forum.  Bugs to be squashed, feedback to be welcomed!

Website at: http://classicadventuresmod.com/
~***~***~***~

When in doubt, lockpick a mudcrab!

Beware the nug conspiracy!

#18 -Domi_Ash-

-Domi_Ash-

Posted 20 July 2007 - 07:38 AM

I played Kelsey when it had bugs and was out of beta testing. Didn't make me think any less of Kelsey, and thousands upon thousands played it since and marvelled at how bug-free and good it was. I played Solaufein when it had bugs. Wasn't what turned me off the mod. Thousands upon thousands loved it. (Shrug). Closed or opened is simply a mechanism by which people access the mod. In the end it all comes down to a person's desire to play it (or not). I'd rather not go through an extra step of asking for every tester wannable to be set up with an access to the protected room to be honest, but have the community well warned about the status of the mod and leave the choice to play or wait to the players themselves. If they start playing it, and feel that tripping over having to Clua to go further is too itrritating, nothing says they can't stop and uninstall (the mods that can't be uninstalled is another thing entirely, but we are thanks goodness past that IAP 'feature'). Whether they will come back or not to play at a later date.... Really, does it matter? As long as the mod is relatively clean in the end, and everyone knows exactly what stage of the game they are joining in and what they can expect (ie trouble-free play, minor bugs, left-over grammar pronblems, possible incompat with newer mods) the modder's job is done, and done well. I don't see myself debugging the mod successfully in a closed form. 10 NPCs with loads of dialogue in all possible combinations through the 40+ hours game? I doubt it's doable by someone who wants the mod eventually released before 2025.

#19 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 03:06 PM

Size matters. In a small quest mod, I think you can do a closed beta or test it yourself. But in our case with CA, it is impossible to build without an open beta. I have had to make so many changes due to player gaming styles I didn't expect. Even with our sometimes closed testing, we miss may things that players find for us (good and bad).

Also, a reality point here. Has anyone ever released a "1.0" version and it was bug-free? Of course not. Therefore you are beta testing (or gama testing) your work as soon as players get their hands on it. You can try to tell yourself it isn't beta testing at this point, but lets face it the mod wasn't solid if players report bugs even a year or so later.

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website

#20 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 09:30 PM

Also, a reality point here. Has anyone ever released a "1.0" version and it was bug-free?

*raises a hand shyly, twice*