Photo

Blender

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Imskel

Imskel
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:27 PM

I just downloaded Blender but can't open Oblivion files can someone help me please

(sorry if this is in wrong area)
I live in my own little world...

Its ok they all know me here

#2 Hector the Hooded

Hector the Hooded

Lord of the Nazgūl

• Modder
  • 1164 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:12 PM

You should download the Python 2.5 :). That will set it up right!

#3 Imskel

Imskel
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:35 PM

thanks for the advice :D

#4 Imskel

Imskel
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 04:27 PM

do i need to convert the dds files to a .3ds file ?

because it still wont open the .dds file for me or i am just a moron and should leave this stuff to the pros

#5 Imskel

Imskel
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 05:31 PM

Well the good news is i can open nif files now :lol: but not dds <_<

and the really funny thing is i read that niftools converts files to nif, not from what i can tell.
it makes them .ogj files

i guess i'll have to work and try and get 3d max then i can try my had at making armor and weapons
and if i get good a race or 2

#6 -Sir-Kil-

-Sir-Kil-

Posted 11 August 2007 - 09:51 AM

there is a dds converter you can convert them to a different format but I think that the mip maps may get trounced so be careful not to delete the original files. ther should be some sort of tool for blender. there is a nvidia tools out there.
http://developer.nvi...ture_tools.html
a good starting point.

#7 Najaknevrec

Najaknevrec
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 03:04 PM

Well, I've bee using Blender for some time now and have never felt th urge to load textures there (.dds files). Only while doing re-mapping and it is easy to convert the .dds teytures to.jpg format which is fully supported. But if you want to akeor change things in blender, loading textures is not necessary.

#8 Imskel

Imskel
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 01:38 PM

i am new at the hole thing so what ever is easy and the best to do, i'll do it like that.

btw thanks all for the help so far

#9 Imskel

Imskel
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 04:23 AM

ok i finely learned how to work Nifscope not sure if i can edit with it or not, If not thats why you use bender to edit the meshes right ? ( see a real newbie at this stuff <_< so please don't get mad if i ask a ton of questions )

#10 Sir-Kill

Sir-Kill
  • 906 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:18 AM

you should be able to use the nif plugin in blender ( again I do not know blender just 3ds) but in 3ds you use File-> import -> select the .nif file type and select your mesh. then edit (move, scale. rotate, ect).

then you should be able to open dds files with ps or the gimp, if not use that converter I mentioned before (tga is a good type). and you can edit those images to whatever you want. file suffix like _a, _n are for alpha and normal (normal is a type of bump map)

just be aware if you change the mesh a lot the mapping will look stretched or compressed depending on what you did with it. so to fix it you will have to fix the UV coordinates.

Edited by Sir-Kill, 17 August 2007 - 10:20 AM.

Live Free Or Die

#11 Imskel

Imskel
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 12:49 PM

ok, another question, i use photoshop to edit the textures correct ?, but how do i test them on the meshes without running them in game or using CS to run them ?, i kinda have a clue on Nifscope but Blender is so confusing :mellow:

#12 --Sir-Kill--

--Sir-Kill--

Posted 17 August 2007 - 01:36 PM

first of all 3d is not something you do whimsically if you want good results, sorry but is just how it is. However if you have patients and put in the time you can have great results :)

yes photoshop can edit dds files tho I think you need some nvidia plugins...try opening one in ph..

you should be able to render them in blender

#13 Imskel

Imskel
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 01:52 PM

yea got that :) , and as for wanting good stuff, yes i want my frist stuff to be great, so i will take lots of time with it, besides it may never be seen by anyone else because i am very judge mental of anything i do.