8 replies to this topic

#1 Celestine

Celestine

Elven Maiden

• Modder
  • 4538 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 12:47 AM

Challenge #4: The Battle for a new Home

The wounded elf mage looked at his commander in awe. The battle had raged for five days straight with hardly any rest in between, he was tired, almost deaf from the loud explosions and could hardly stand any more. The commander stood in front, waving his beautiful but deadly blades and weaving through the enemies ranks, cutting down anyone who stand between him and his targets, easily. Kael'thas Sunstrider swallowed hard, his unblinking green eyes stared, mesmerised by the raw power exhibited by the elven commander.

Just as suddenly, the leader turned around and cut down one demon who attempted to pass unnoticed behind the huge warrior. He seemed to sense the elf's presence and his injuries, almost as though his binded eyes bore hard into the elven mage. More blood oozed from the cut on the mage's foreheard, leaving a bloody trail on his pale cheek down to his neck. The prince could not help but held his breath, waiting anxiously for his leader's instructions.

"Get behind me!" His words were simple and few, yet spoken clear in his smooth voice. Kael had always wondered how his lord could see despite his blindness but now was hardly the time to wonder. The elf nodded quickly and finally released the breath he had been holding. He limped towards the commander, moving faster than his wounded leg could with his stubborn will. His heart beat furiously and more blood flowed from the deep cut on his left thigh, a wound that was inflicted by a demon blade earlier. But it was too much, the elf's feet gave up finally, and the mage collapsed head down, his eyes closed and braced himself for the hard impact from the fall - except he landed in strong arms.

Opening his green eyes, Kael found himself held up by the commander. His impassive face seemed to sense the prince's injuries. "Stand up, Kael. Set an example for your people to follow." The words were spoken harshly yet Kael felt no sadness from the commander's orders. The mage removed himself from the arms that supported him and tried his best to stand, adjusting most of his weight on his uninjured leg. However, his vision blurred from the exertion.

"Stay behind me and use your magic... Kael!" That was the last words the prince heard before the darkness took him.

---------

Kael opened his eyes and found himself looking in the dark. He was back in his room, that could only mean that he had been carried back to camp. The elf sat up and found his blood-stained armour besides his bedroll. He was most ashamed to collapse in the midst of battle. If only, he was stronger...

"You're awake."

The elf nodded sheepishly at his commander. He tried to stand but the leader waved his hand dismissively.

"Lie down. Your wounds are mending fast but you are tired... So am I, Kael. But, we are winning and tomorrow, we will be able to take the enemy's main camp. Rest tonight, I need your strength tomorrow." The tall elf leader flashed an reassuring smile at the wounded mage, something he hardly did.

"I am sorry, my lord. I failed you today..." Kael began. He needed to explain, to try to defend his weakness at the last battle, to do anything not to let his leader think him as a failure.

"Rest, Kael. I said, I need your strength tomorrow." The warrior elf stretched one gauntleted hand and grasped the prince's shoulder firmly. "Assemble your men and wait for me at dawn, Kael." He turned his back and walked out of the room.

Kael let himself smiled, a gesture of gratitude for the commander that took him in and the remaining blood elves under his wing. They would have no place to go to, otherwise, their enchanted forests long destroyed by the hordes of undead that swept across Azeroth. Their people were known as High Elves, not so long ago, proud and mighty among the races of Azeroth. Yet, many died fighting against the Scourge, in vain, for they could not defend their homelands from the corruption. To remember the sacrifice of the elves who had perished, the remaining were known as Blood Elves.

------------------

At dusk, Kael was ready to prove his loyalty once again. With orders to flank the enemies ranks, the prince led his people bravely to ambush the demons. The blood elves swept through the disorganized demons, and with effective use of magic and weapons, managed to advance near the enemy camp. The demons having suffer defeat saw their morale tumbling and their ranks overran.

After finishing his battles, the elf prince led his people to join their main army and attacked the main enemy camp. He found the commander at the very front battling the Lord of the Outland - Magtheridon. Kael blinked in surprise to find that his leader had moved faster than he had expected. He had intended on helping the elf lord with his battle against Magtheridon but he was too late.

He found Vashj nearby with her swarm of hateful Naga and fought his way to her. "Lady Vashj, I beg you to hold this position. I must aid our Master."

Vashj licked her dry lips and glared at the prince, a gesture that Kael interpret as thoughtful. She hissed a reply just as she finished casting a spell on the demons. "Asss, you wisssh, Prince." A dark cloud appeared over the nearby demons and lightning flashed and several bolts hit the demons.

Kael rubbed his nose at the unpleasant smell of charred flesh, but Vashj's attack had opened a path temporarily. The prince wasted no time and moved towards where his commander was.

Illidan Stormrage stood tall and proud, dark, leathery wings sprout behind his back that lifted him to a great height before he lurched down in and stroked his deadly blades at the massive pit lord. His attack was met with a parry from Magtheridon. "Die, Illidan." The pit lord bellowed.

The former night elf smirked and twisted his left hand, his double blade cutting through thick scary skin to draw blood. Magtheridon hissed in pain and shook his behind, a move that allowed him to sweep his huge powerful tail at the half-demon. Illidan laughed and dodged easily with the help of his wings. He had been a night elf, but his thirst for power drove him to consume the powers from the Skull of Gul'dan. His new found powers transformed him into a hybrid - half demon and half night elf and with his new demonic powers, Illidan was able to use the demon's powers back against them.

"Master, I have come." Kael wasted no time and let loose his magic at Magtheridon.

"Stand aside! I don't need your help." Illidan ordered, not sparing a look at his subordinate.

"But... "

"Shut up and go away!" He barked, swinging his blades at the Pit Lord again.

Kael was taken aback; Illidan had always been civil and almost kind to him. It was the first time, the half-demon had snapped at him. But, he was not about to defy his orders. Kael moved back obediently and kept watch for any demon that might try to interrupt his lord's fight.

It did not take long for Illidan to cut down the Pit Lord. He was more powerful and more intelligent than the enemy. With the Pit lord slain, the remaining demons fled from the elves and naga. The battle was won.

Illidan flew down and stood besides Kael, a triumph smile on his handsome face. "Look, Kael." The demon slayer spread his hands over the bloody battlefield. "Outlands belongs to me now. We will settle here."

Kael grinned, and nodded in agreement. "Hail, the new Lord of the Outlands..." The prince shouted in response.

Edited by Celestine, 20 August 2007 - 05:22 PM.

#2 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 01:29 AM

oooo, now this is interesting. ^_^
never thought Kael in that manner, I always pictured him as a bit more assertive except when dealing with a superior.
I like this fic a lot Celestine.
Keep up the good work. :cheers:

"Hail Lord Illidan Stormrage!"

Classic Adventures - a Total Conversion compilation dedicated to bringing many of the old and new PnP modules into the wonderfully dangerous world that is Baldur's Gate II.   Fancy link button to Downloads page.

CA Forum.  Bugs to be squashed, feedback to be welcomed!

Website at: http://classicadventuresmod.com/
~***~***~***~

When in doubt, lockpick a mudcrab!

Beware the nug conspiracy!

#3 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 06:17 AM

Ah, Kael'Thas Sunstrider. I think I preferred Sylvanus, and Maiev was about on par with Kael. And Jaina and Illidan I really liked. If only you'd gotten them for more levels.

Never thought to try a Warcraft favorite NPC, and here for the past few weeks I've been playing through it. Just got finished with the last campaign.

So that is to say, good starting thought, good work here, and (though a few spelling and grammar mess-ups) good writing too.
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#4 Celestine

Celestine

Elven Maiden

• Modder
  • 4538 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 05:01 PM

Yeah, I messed up the grammar bad. I think its the staff rp, after typing in present tense for a while, I confused myself writing one in past tense. Reading back now, I noticed so many grammar errors. I'll have to go back to fix it soon.

Thanks for the comments, Solar and Kellen. I like Kael and Illidan but if I have to choose between the two, Illidan wins. I do picture Kael as a kind and capable leader, and probably confident in his abilities before he lost his home.

I kinda like Sylvanus, too. Pity she kinda didn't have a good ending. But I've only completed up to Frozen Throne, so I don't know if she appears again later. I really dislike Maiev, though. She's so dominating... I also like Arthas.

#5 Hector the Hooded

Hector the Hooded

Lord of the Nazgūl

• Modder
  • 1164 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 05:09 PM

Very nice read! Well done :).

#6 Celestine

Celestine

Elven Maiden

• Modder
  • 4538 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 05:09 PM

thanks. :hug:

#7 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 06:10 PM

I kinda like Sylvanus, too. Pity she kinda didn't have a good ending. But I've only completed up to Frozen Throne, so I don't know if she appears again later. I really dislike Maiev, though. She's so dominating... I also like Arthas.

Slyvanus is the leader of the undead playable in WoW. So yeah appears again. Looked through tons of WoW lore in longing, but have yet to get the game itself. Have a 14 day trial waiting for me to get a rather empty 14 days.

Arthas, I think I actually liked Kel'Thuzad better. But Maiev, constantly pushed by Justice and Vengeance. I wished I could start getting the extra books to read more about her. Not very likable, but definitely compelling. Plus Maiev's skills were cool(save her level 6). And Jaina who leads her people across a huge ocean to protect them, and ultimately ends up having a hand in the death of her father to preserve a peace with Orcs. That's just wow. And I wished I could have had her at level 6, cause Mass Teleport is beyond fantastic.

But anyways, yes. A few grammar fixes and it should be sparkling. And we'll see if I get to trying a Warcraft hero or such for my entry. So many games with such fun characters(BG1&2, NWN1&2, Warcraft, Guild Wars(I find Gwen intriguing), etc)... I hadn't realized what an open topic this was when we started but suddenly all sorts of unexpected people are popping up.
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#8 Celestine

Celestine

Elven Maiden

• Modder
  • 4538 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 06:30 PM

Actually It was Solar who gave me the idea. :) I haven't play the vanilla BG in a long time and I barely remember the NPCs. But I recently played Warcraft III so I have a fresh impression. Actually the storyline for Warcraft III is not bad at all.

I fixed the grammar mistakes I found and edited some of the sentences. If you spot anymore, please let me know. I like Vashj's level 6 power.

#9 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 11:06 PM

Actually It was Solar who gave me the idea. :) I haven't play the vanilla BG in a long time and I barely remember the NPCs. But I recently played Warcraft III so I have a fresh impression. Actually the storyline for Warcraft III is not bad at all.

I fixed the grammar mistakes I found and edited some of the sentences. If you spot anymore, please let me know. I like Vashj's level 6 power.

Eh? I did?
Wow :)

Anyways in relation to what Kellen just said about Sylvanus she named her group the Forsaken.
Just posting for the fans of the series out there. ^_^
Now that I think about I've been playing Warcraft for as far as I remember. Though my system specs are not friendly with its latest editions, hmph!

Sylvanus is my favorite character from Warcraft 3, especially when she's undead... the banshee ranger elf is awsome as a character, and one of the highest in ratings for depth in my opinion.
Plus there are other reasons, but I will not mention them :P

btw, does anyone have a picture of her somewhere, I swear I look for over twenty image pages on google and don't find anything except what is obviously a bad choice for a portrait.
I wouldn't post em on this thread tho, just PM me if you find a good link, or whatever
thanks and again, excellent work Celestine :cheers:

Classic Adventures - a Total Conversion compilation dedicated to bringing many of the old and new PnP modules into the wonderfully dangerous world that is Baldur's Gate II.   Fancy link button to Downloads page.

CA Forum.  Bugs to be squashed, feedback to be welcomed!

Website at: http://classicadventuresmod.com/
~***~***~***~

When in doubt, lockpick a mudcrab!

Beware the nug conspiracy!