• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

The great pretender... of modding!

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 10:31 PM

So I am thinking once I finish my runthru of the game I might get back to modding.

Going to try my first bit of fighting with the Aurora Engine (which just by playing around looks much easier to do).

As much as I will always love the Infinity Engine, not sure I can look at it anymore without wanting to vomit.

Now I just need to figure out what I want to do (got at least a dozen ideas floating around in my head), and where.

I could ask for space here, or see if TeamBG wants to expand to the AE.

Part of me wants to have the download at ign, so I can move up in rank.

Now, before I proceed, I want to tell everyone I am about halfway though SoU.

Spoilers = Bad.

So, with that said, any requests?

Possible Vanilla Game Spoiler:
Spoiler

I am kinda toying with the idea of an unofficial expansion of the reg mods, or something new.

Got ideas for each.

- The transitioned former modder once known as MTS.

#2 Rastor

Rastor

Yes, I really am a dragon. Yes, I am a jerk. Live with it.

• 2001 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 06:06 AM

What are you looking for advice on? If it's Aurora mods to try out, I could list quite a few good ones for you.

If you're looking for ideas for a mod storyline, honestly, I'd say think of an idea that you want to express to the player and go from there... making an NWN mod is incredibly time-consuming and it really should be something that you come up with on your own.

Going to try my first bit of fighting with the Aurora Engine (which just by playing around looks much easier to do).

Looks easier to do than what? Honestly, at this point I'd recommend just forgetting about the Aurora engine and start modding the Electron. That one is just as easy to mod once you can get past the learning curve and is far more advanced.

I could ask for space here, or see if TeamBG wants to expand to the AE.

Part of me wants to have the download at ign, so I can move up in rank.

For the love of god, please don't! IGN's download server is ludicrously slow. The issue could start to become bandwidth - Aurora mods are small enough but if you decide to follow my recommendation and work on the Electron, well a 10 hour mod could easily run into the gigabyte range.
Home of Kitanya, Improved Asylum, more...

Posted Image

#3 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 08:55 AM

Here is where I embarass myself...

I don't know what the Electron Engine is.

I did have an idea though.

What about a huge mod from all of us here at SHS (and RPG too).

Possibly one that takes place after ToB.

I think it would be neat if the joinable NPCs were the modded ones made here (Hublepot, Tashia, Allison, etc...).

#4 Rastor

Rastor

• 2001 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 09:48 AM

Here is where I embarass myself...

I don't know what the Electron Engine is.

I did have an idea though.

What about a huge mod from all of us here at SHS (and RPG too).

Possibly one that takes place after ToB.

I think it would be neat if the joinable NPCs were the modded ones made here (Hublepot, Tashia, Allison, etc...).

Electron Engine is the engine that powers NWN2.

It's going to be a huge mod if you want that many joinable NPCs and the amount of work needed to write up all the dialogues for that many NPCs is staggering unless we can get literally the authors of all of those NPCs involved in the project. Definitely going to want to have a team for any decently-sized project though.

The one thing I wouldn't be sure about is doing something at the end of ToB. The player character is so powerful at that point that it would be difficult to come up with any good challenges. A sequel of sorts to BG but involving a completely different protagonist and characters would be better, imo.

How about writing up a little document detailing some of your ideas? I'd love to read them.

If you wanted to implement romantic subplots and all that, the Electron Engine is definitely the way to go as it offers much more support for multi-chaptered stories and party interaction... plus it actually allows the player to control more than one character.

Posted Image

#5 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 03:38 PM

What are you looking for advice on? If it's Aurora mods to try out, I could list quite a few good ones for you.

I wouldn't mind some NWN mod recommendations. :)

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#6 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 08:27 PM

I am aware of the work it would be.

I did consider the power level of the PC. I considered starting them at LV1, saying they lost all their power when they rejected the godhood.

Allthough if you have a baby (as with some of the Bioware NPCs), that could complicate it.

I also considered having the PC being the child of the Bhaalspawn and (insert name here).

I know ti would be massive work, and would only work as a community project, but it could be fun.

#7 Bluenose

Bluenose

The gnome-sage of Ral Worcester

• 1565 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 05:44 AM

One thing to note, until the NWN2 expansion comes out levels past 20th aren't supported. Mask of the Betrayer is scheduled for later this year, and once it's out you'll have more idea of what's possible with the Electron Engine. There will be other changes to the game engine that will affect how it plays at the same time.

I'd also mention that there are dialog editors that allow you to write dialog for import into either version of NWN without requiring access to the game, and which I've found greatly speed up the process of writing conversations.

Otherwise, the only thing I can suggest is going for something you really want to make, as an NWN/NWN2 mod does take a lot of time.

Back from the brink.

Like RPGs? Like Star Wars? Think combining the two would be fun? Read Darths and Droids, and discover the line "Jar Jar, you're a genius".

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth's foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
And took their wages and are dead.

#8 Rastor

Rastor

• 2001 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 06:33 AM

I wouldn't mind some NWN mod recommendations. :)

The Shadowlords/Dreamcatcher/Demon pack, Wyvern Crown of Cormyr, and Tales of Arterra series are all fantastic. That should get you about 100 hours of fun... I'll make up a recommended mods list sometime :).

One thing to note, until the NWN2 expansion comes out levels past 20th aren't supported. Mask of the Betrayer is scheduled for later this year, and once it's out you'll have more idea of what's possible with the Electron Engine. There will be other changes to the game engine that will affect how it plays at the same time.

Mask of Betrayer is scheduled for release in a couple weeks from now, so honestly no real need to wait on that. Everything will be backwards compatible. Yes, writing dialogue and the quest lines in advance before firing up the engine would be helpful.

I'd also mention that there are dialog editors that allow you to write dialog for import into either version of NWN without requiring access to the game, and which I've found greatly speed up the process of writing conversations.

Even better, there's a conversion program out there that allows you to use WeiDU to code NWN2 dialogues. That would speed it up quite significantly.

Posted Image