D won't turn into DLG

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kiki

Kiki

Philosopher Queen in training

• 499 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 11:12 PM

I feel quite stupid for even asking this question, but this problem has been baffling me.

A few months ago, I made a simple NPC and installed it on my computer. No problem, she approached my party, asked to join, I said yes, and she was in and functional. Since then, I've gotten a new computer and decided to install her. Using the same files (except the CRE file, which I changed), nothing happens. She approaches my PC and is unable to initiate any dialog. Upon inspection, her DLG file seems to be blank.

I've been using a TP2 file with no results. I tried to manually compile her D file (weidu reyna/reyna.d --out override --tlkout dialog.tlk) and still the DLG file is blank. WeiDU seems able to parse the file but notes that there are 0 states, 0 trans, etc.

I am using WeiDU 122. And reyna.d is not blank. OK, so tell me what stupid mistake I'm making, please. :)
Placetne, magistra?

#2 Rassadihn

Rassadihn

Eater of Avatars

• 80 posts

Posted 09 May 2003 - 02:20 AM

Perhaps Wes knows the answer instantly, but let me make a few suggestions for a bug hunt while we wait for the sensei.

Go to the `reyna' directory and try `weidu reyna.d --log reyna.log --tlkout reyna.tlk' and see what that gives. Is there anything in the logfile that looks odd?

Try the `--nogame' option (WeiDU may complain about not finding things, but at least it complains. :-)

Give us the beginning of the .D file. Flying blind is very hard. If it looks anything like
BEGIN ~rayna~

IF ~NumTimesTalkedTo(0)~ THEN BEGIN
        first_meeting
SAY
        "I saw a ship a-sailing, a-sailing on the sea."
END
WeiDU should at least produce *something*. Warnings, errors, anything?

Incidentally, ignorance is only stupid if it's not acknowledged. There is such a thing as a stupid question, but asking questions is itself never stupid.

#3 -jcompton-

-jcompton-

Posted 09 May 2003 - 08:23 AM

Post the debug you get from using the TP2.

#4 Dyara

Dyara
  • 262 posts

Posted 09 May 2003 - 08:45 AM

Perhaps a forgotten or wrong BEGIN statement in the d file? At least this is my usuall mistake :D

#5 japheth

japheth

Codewalker

• 317 posts

Posted 09 May 2003 - 08:53 AM

Another possibility is that you ran the setup file while BGII or some other "tlk-locking" program was open.
Check out BG1Tutu.

#6 Kiki

Kiki

• 499 posts

Posted 09 May 2003 - 09:21 AM

Give us the beginning of the .D file.

It looks like your example. When I manually ran the compile, WeiDU said something like "Successfully parsed ... 0 states, 0 trans, 0 triggers." No error messages, like lexing: empty token or what-have-you.

Perhaps a forgotten or wrong BEGIN statement in the d file?

I don't think so. I got ConTEXT and loaded the syntax highlighter, and every block has a big blue (or is it green?) BEGIN. But I'll double-check. Definitely it starts with BEGIN ~Reyna~.

Another possibility is that you ran the setup file while BGII or some other "tlk-locking" program was open.

Alas, no. Only Syn or ConText and Windows Explorer were open the 5,000 times I tried running the setup.

Post the debug you get from using the TP2.

OK, I'll do that tonight.

Well, at least it seems like I'm not missing anything simple. So far.
Placetne, magistra?

#7 japheth

japheth

Codewalker

• 317 posts

Posted 09 May 2003 - 10:14 AM

It might also be useful to post the .d file as well. :)
Check out BG1Tutu.

#8 weimer

weimer
  • 1569 posts

Posted 09 May 2003 - 03:02 PM

Post the D (shrink the strings if you like).

The "0 states, 0 transitions" thing means that WeiDU for some reason thinks you are not defining anything in your file. Is the whole thing commented out by any chance? Another possibility is that there is an empty D file with a similar name lying around somewhere that WeiDU is loading instead.

#9 Kiki

Kiki

• 499 posts

Posted 09 May 2003 - 05:36 PM

Well, it seems like the 5,001st time is the charm. I compiled it just one more time, just in case, and this time it worked. I *know* I didn't do anything differently this time, and I know that I didn't have NI, Shadowkeeper, or the game open the other 5,000 times.

Unfortunately the debug file has been overwritten by the successful install, but when I looked at it prior to that, it said:

[reyna/reyna.d] parsed
Processing 1 dialogues/scripts ...
Adding REYNA to internal list of available DLGs
[REYNA.DLG] saved	0 states, 0 trans, 0 strig, 0 ttrig, 0 actions

Note that it did not know there was a ReynaP section, which it is now aware of.

I won't bother posting the D file, as apparently there weren't any problems with it.
Placetne, magistra?