Emmeline NPC mod

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#21 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 02:45 PM

One thing to keep in mind, that seems to be a common point of confusion, is that Charisma isn't necessarily physical attractiveness...rather, it corresponds to the ability to reliably influence people in the way you want to, in which physical appearance is a factor (sadly <_<) but which really has more to do with confidence, personality, and ability to understand and appeal to others' emotions. The way you've described her, I'm not sure that such a high score would fit her in this regard; I'd definitely give it some thought.

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#22 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 07:53 AM

Well, she *is* rather charismatic, so I don't want to put it any lower than 15. She is very outgoing and rather fun to have around. To me, charisma isn't when you can understand other people's emotions and perspectives - that's more a wisdom thing for me. It's just when you simply have "something" which draws people to you and makes you likeable.

But hey, nothing is set - we'll see how she ends up. :3

Edited by Choo Choo, 29 September 2007 - 07:53 AM.

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!

#23 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 08:48 AM

Hey, there's nothing that says you've got to set her stats now! Why not finish writing up her banters, and post a small but representative cross-sample of her banters, so folks can see what she's like? *Then* see what folks think about her charisma.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#24 Unmei

Unmei
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 08:57 AM

You should take a look at the definition and background info of Charisma and decide whether your character has these qualities. There are lots of varying definitions, but the most common attributes of charasma are listed in several dictionaries:

*Leadership - Others see you as a natural leader; you easily take charge.
*Persuasion - You are easily able to convince others to do what you want or believe in your point of view.
*Personal Magnatism - Others are draws to you.
*Likeability - Others can not help but like you.

If you character has high charisma she should have some or all of these characteristics. Hope this helped. :)

#25 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 09:11 AM

She's not a good leader, but the last two fit in and the second somewhat so. I'll just write her and see where it goes. :3

#26 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 09:40 AM

Not a bad idea, the waiting and seeing part.

"Likability" and "personal magnetism" are two of the hardest things to gauge when writing an NPC, and it's really easy to miss the mark. It's easy to say "my PC is very amiable," but when it's handled wrong, the player is left to wonder why. *cough*Shandra*cough*

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods

#27 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 09:46 AM

*nods* I'm aware of that, and I'll try my best to avoid the big pit traps.

#28 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 11:26 AM

nvm

Edited by theacefes, 29 September 2007 - 12:00 PM.

DO ~SetGlobal("omgBbqRomanceActive","GLOBAL", 2)~

Gibberlings Three - IE Modding Community

#29 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 11:28 AM

Hmm.. yeah, maybe I'll do that. Will wait for tomorrow, though - I'm so tired I can barely think straight. :) Thanks.

#30 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 11:58 AM

nvm

Edited by theacefes, 29 September 2007 - 12:14 PM.

#31 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 12:14 PM

Well, I won't be coding for a while yet - I do have some banter sketches, but they all need heavy editing. But I think I'll try to code as I go, every spare minute I gain is a blessing.

Might I suggest reading up on tutorials first and getting a working NPC in the game (joining and parting dlgs) before going on with writing your banters? If you do that, it really does help you get a scope of what you are dealing with in creating an NPC mod.

Just a suggestion. :)

This is taken from my own experience making NPC mods.

Writing a fanfic and writing an NPC mod are two different things altogether in my opinion. There is just not enough time, space, or the player?s initiative to care about a hugely complex backstory where your PC is forced to suffer through pages and pages and pages of dialogue with 32 responses for each block of dialogue about why the NPC is there today. The writing can be more enriching and detailed than a top selling novel?and chances are I, as a player, will not want to play it. Backstories are wonderful if they explain where the NPC came from, why they are like they are, and perhaps even throw in a quest or encounter that explore the NPC?s past.

But BGII is about my PC, not some NPC. Your NPC can have the greatest backstory, but if he/she is taking over the spotlight from CHARNAME, then I, as a player, will have issues with that. The game becomes boring and you feel more like a sidekick than the star of the story. It?s not really good roleplaying.

So?I find it useful to code as I go?because it helps me to realize how much effort actually goes into a mod, and unless you have a very generous person coding all of that for you, the modder needs to realize his/her limits on ?how much time/energy do I want to spend on this? Is it worth it? Will it be fun for me and/or will people enjoy it??

This is not directed at you of course, but I thought it might be useful to anyone planning on making a mod.

EDIT: Sorry! Stupid internet made me post twice.

#32 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 12:41 PM

*nods* Well, I defeated my fatigue and read your tutorial over at G3 and managed to create, compile and install a small NPC, woohoo! And your feedback is appreciated - I know that I am very new to this and, in fact, not entirely sure what I've gotten myself into. :3 But I'll try my best.

Edited by Choo Choo, 29 September 2007 - 12:42 PM.

#33 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 01:13 PM

Awesomeness, well done.

And definitely don't be afraid to ask questions. :)

#34 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 01:16 PM

Thanks - I felt rather stupid, however, when the portrait I assigned to her didn't show up in-game. I was like "waaah wtf?", until I remembered that my PC used it as well..

#35 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 01:44 PM

Heh, well if theres something in the tutorial that isnt working, just PM me or IM me or whatever. It helps me because I can see if there's something in the tutorial I need to fix.

#36 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 02:08 PM

Okay, quick question. Have I coded this correctly? It's an interjection - Emmeline comments when Kagain joins the party. And no, I know this certainly isn't very.. charismatic, but at least it illustrates her attitude towards dwarves.

Oh, and if anyone knows if the prefix 7# is already taken, please tell me so that I may change it. :3

APPEND _KAGAIN

IF
~
InParty("7#EMME")
!StateCheck("7#EMME",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
!Race("Player1",DWARF)
~
THEN EXTERN 7#EMMEJ KAGINT1

IF
~
InParty("7#EMME")
!StateCheck("7#EMME",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
Race("Player1",DWARF)
~
THEN EXTERN 7#EMMEJ KAGINT2

IF ~~ KAGINT1
~<CHARNAME>, this dwarf is likely to betray you to those bounty hunters the very second he catches the smell of gold! Taking him along is a big mistake!~
== _KAGAIN ~Bah! This 'ere lass of yours sure doesn't know when to pipe it in! All I wants is my pay. After that, yer business and whoever be headhuntin' ye be yer own trouble.~
== 7#EMMEJ ~Typical dwarf. The very stench of you sickens me, saura' nyano! You'd better stand no less than ten feet away from me in the future, or I'll take that axe of yours and cleave your head in two with it, vermin!~
THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ KAGINT2
~Oh, look at this. Another runt for the collection. Tell me, <CHARNAME>, how does it feel to have one more of your flock in the group?~
== _KAGAIN ~Bloody elven lass 'as a mouth on her that'd send the Abyss howlin'. Don't bother listening to the wench. Ye'll find that ye won't be regrettin' yer decision. I gets yon gold, and ye'll have me axe hacking enemies in no time. Fair and square.~
== 7#EMMEJ ~Typical dwarf. The very stench of you sickens me, saura' nyano! You'd better stand no less than ten feet away from me in the future, or I'll take that axe of yours and cleave your head in two with it, vermin!~
THEN EXIT
END

END

Edited by Choo Choo, 29 September 2007 - 02:09 PM.

#37 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 02:15 PM

Okay, quick question. Have I coded this correctly? It's an interjection - Emmeline comments when Kagain joins the party. And no, I know this certainly isn't very.. charismatic, but at least it illustrates her attitude towards dwarves.

Oh, and if anyone knows if the prefix 7# is already taken, please tell me so that I may change it. :3

Look and see.

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#38 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 02:18 PM

Yay, it's not taken! I hereby claim it, then. :3

#39 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 05:18 PM

Yay, it's not taken! I hereby claim it, then. :3

I would suggest you post to the thread in question requesting it be registered to you.

#40 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 06:01 PM

I do not think you can register a prefix where the first character is a number. You might be able to get away with registering #7, but I'm not sure.

berelinde's mods