Graphics: Bams needed for Oriental Mod

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Maurolava

Maurolava
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 05:07 PM

I've a few bam requests for my mod, since introduces new types of weapons

1. What do you need? Item, animation, description...?

All the bam forms. Item-making itself is taken care of.

2. Describe the item/whatever in detail! Shape, style, colors...?

a. A Nodachi is a large two-handed Oriental sword. This is an example of a real one.

Posted Image

Only real difference is that The Tsuka (Handle) is a bright blue color.

b. A figurine of a great air elemental, I thought something similar to misc4c.itm

c. An elven armor, with less "scales" and also sky blue color. The idea is a more lighter armor than a standard elven.

d. A war hammer with a blade on one side, half hammer-half Kama

Kama:
Posted Image

I need two versions for this last one, one just silver/metal looking, second one with scarlet or red markings on the hammer and black/dark metal on the blade

3. Does it have bonus factors? (+1 thac0 - +5 thac0)

a. Same as Katana +3
b. summons creature.
c. I prefer not to give this one away
d. Version 1, like war hammer +2. Version 2, like war hammer +4

4. What about elemental damage? (Acid, Fire, Ice...)

a. Electric
b. n/a
c. n/a
d. Version 1 none, version 2 has protection from fire.

5. What material is the item made of?

a. same as Katana
b. Rock, wood. Anything is fine
c. Whatever elven armor is made out of. :P
d. Silver for blade/hammer. Wood/Bamboo for handle.

6. Any deadlines?

Hopefully late November, early December

7. What game and what mod is this for?

Baldur's Gate: SoA & ToB

Edited by Maurolava, 31 October 2007 - 05:11 PM.

#2 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 07:00 PM

A: Wut, wut?

nodachi.png

Attached Files

#3 vilkacis

vilkacis

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:58 PM

D: Wut, wut?

kamahammer_v1.png kamahammer_v2.png

Attached Files

#4 Maurolava

Maurolava
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 08:19 AM

Vilkacis, I'm very impressed with your work. Not only did you responded quickly, but the quality of it is excellent; a favor to ask though.

A. On the small icon, could it be possible to show some of the detail of the lacing? Not a solid handle but one than is comfortable to hold. And in the drawing (Description picture) can you make the lacing a bit more symmetric?

D. Could you make the hammer part bigger, also can you remove the string handing from the bottom?

I'm sorry for being picky; I should have provided more detail.

Thank you very much for your help! :)

Maurolava

#5 vilkacis

vilkacis

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 01:55 PM

A. On the small icon, could it be possible to show some of the detail of the lacing? Not a solid handle but one than is comfortable to hold.

It's really too small for that kind of detail. It's possible to get an x-like pattern, but it won't look like a proper ito. Someone else may have more luck with that part.

The rest is doable.

nodachi2.png
kamahammer2.png

...it's kinda hard to get red markings on the hammer without making it look like it's been... heavily used. <_<

Attached Files

Edited by vilkacis, 01 November 2007 - 02:54 PM.

#6 Maurolava

Maurolava
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 08:34 AM

It's really too small for that kind of detail. It's possible to get an x-like pattern, but it won't look like a proper ito. Someone else may have more luck with that part.

Not a problem, it was a long shot. I still like it regardless!

Do you think is possible to make the armor and the figurine? Do you need anything to help you?

Anyway, thank you so much for all your help.

Maurolava

#7 vilkacis

vilkacis

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 01:13 PM

It's certainly possible; whether I will be able to do it, however, remains to be seen.

I'll see what I can do, but I won't promise anything.

#8 Maurolava

Maurolava
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 07:34 AM

Vilkacis,

How about this for the figurine?
Posted Image

Something like this for the armor:

Posted Image

Will this help you?

Maurolava

#9 vilkacis

vilkacis

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 08:29 AM

Not bad! Then your elemental statue would looks something like this -

ELEMENTAL.png

I decided to do a closeup on the face for the small icon; it'd be pretty much impossible to tell what it is if I fit the entire figure in that small space.

[edit] And the armour something like this -

ARMOUR.png

Attached Files

Edited by vilkacis, 03 November 2007 - 09:19 AM.

#10 Maurolava

Maurolava
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 09:38 AM

Vilkacis,

Amazing job, thank you very much! :new_thumbs:

#11 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:22 PM

Just a few suggestions: darken the pixels just a wee bit around the edges of the inventory BAMs, particularly the ones that are lighter like the silver hammer. They'll blend in better with the (normally) dark brown background in the game. I do this in PSP with the darken tool. Another hint is if you're resizing a larger picture for a BAM, make the background dark brown, black or gray first. That way, half your work is done since you'll already have dark edges due to the resizing process on a dark canvas.

The small BAMs that are 32x32 - try not to use the whole canvas, like 30x30 or so instead, depending on the item. They can bleed out of the frame sometimes or otherwise look out-of-place. I've learned this tip the hard way.

Not trying to be over-critical - just noticed while checking out other things for Maurolava. Otherwise, the work is quite good - I particularly like the later description BAMs. We'll have to swap BAMming tips - I've a few filters I use I'll PM you about, vilkacis.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#12 Chronis

Chronis
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 10:14 PM

A: Wut, wut?

I just kind of stumbled in here randomly. I'm supposed to be working but I had to take a break to say wow

vilkacis you are talented!!!

I am impressed.

-Chronis

#13 vilkacis

vilkacis

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 05:21 PM

Latest one!
monkrobe.png

That wasn't too bad. Also, I have attached new versions of a few others, so replace your old ones.

Just a few suggestions: darken the pixels just a wee bit around the edges of the inventory BAMs, particularly the ones that are lighter like the silver hammer. They'll blend in better with the (normally) dark brown background in the game.

You have a point. (Curse you!)

Re-did some of them.

The small BAMs that are 32x32 - try not to use the whole canvas, like 30x30 or so instead, depending on the item. They can bleed out of the frame sometimes or otherwise look out-of-place. I've learned this tip the hard way.

Yeah. I try, but it's a fine line between "looking like hell because it's too big" and "not looking like anything at all because it's too small". :P

Not trying to be over-critical - just noticed while checking out other things for Maurolava. Otherwise, the work is quite good - I particularly like the later description BAMs. We'll have to swap BAMming tips - I've a few filters I use I'll PM you about, vilkacis.

omg u meanie :crying:

Naw, I appreciate it. :cheers:

vilkacis you are talented!!!

I am impressed.

-Chronis

Thanks. :D

Attached Files

#14 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 10:35 PM

it's a fine line between "looking like hell because it's too big" and "not looking like anything at all because it's too small"

Yep. This is indeed the BAMmers quandary :wacko:. There's not much you can do with a 30 pixel square canvas and 256 colours, but, well, think small :mellow:. I've found it harder to do the small graphics than the larger ones. You have more leeway with the large ones.

Nice suit btw. How about some screenshots from the game, with some other robes next to it? :whistling:

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle