3 replies to this topic

#1 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 09:51 PM

Challenge #7: Night of the Kindred

Many months since I had turned from the life I once knew, the hunger... for what was once mine, flows through me daily now, no longer a tense of yesterday, but rather a vision of tommorow.

A tall, slender girl walked past, wrinkling her nose in disgust but not sparing us a look. The city looked crowded and we were tired - the long march here had worn us out, even the hardiest among us had trouble standing straight. We looked like beaten adventurers, our tattered and bloody attire drew cautious glances from the town folks - they steered clear of us as we walked down the alley. We had business, shady, dangerous affairs, perhaps, it was necessary for our survival, even if we were in an advantageous state...

Even as a creature of the night, I still had rules to follow... I was but a shadow of my former self, and my sire had done little but die for breaking the code we... kindred, must follow within the city of Waterdeep. Foolish he was, for turning me into this.. monstrosity, only like minded kin would dare aid me in this perilous time, and adventuring the wastes of the land I once called Faerun, was just like a trip into the Underdark for a surfacer... only difference is sunlight was sure death for all of us. Were it not for the aid of some sympathetic souls, we would've all perished... but now that help came at a price.

I observed the woman that passed us, somehow she did not seem the same as her human bretheren.. almost as if she were one of us. It would not suprise me, my group are strangers to the City of Coin as they call it. It seemed like that despite her ignoring us, she was baiting us to follow; "Marcus, are you going to stand there ogling that woman or are we going to attend to our task?" "Did you not sense it, Kit'ja?" Kit'ja merely glanced at me, of all my companions, she was to be watched the most. "You mean that smell billowing from your lower compartments? Please." "Quite the charmer you are," this was not the time, "But you failed to answer the question." "Yes she blightin' did! We all did, now can we go, Marcus?" You fool Gavaras, eyes are everywhere! "Silence, Gavaras."

Daylight would be soon, already my senses were starting to flee me. The curse of undeath, night was our territory for my type, but daylight was a blight that only the elders or ancient of our kin could survive. I was here to seek out the new mistress of the night in the city. The vampire Bodhi was dead, her plans crushed and my kin became targets of the vile Shadow Thieves. Couple this with hunters and do-gooder paladins, things were tough - but there was no other place to turn.

We had entered the sewers of the city, to escape the inevitable break of dawn, but my next discovery was unexpected.

It seemed our actions were predicted, a shadowy silhoute of a human female appeared in the darkness. My infravision was blurred slightly because of the cursed timing, however the smell was the same... the same woman from the city gates.

"You have been expected, Marcus. The mistress expects you and your companions will be comfortable with our arrangements for your arrival."
"We seek your mistress, to express our thanks, and with time. Prove to be of service during our stay in this city."
"The haven is not far... be on your best civilty morsal. Though you be our kin, and of the same clan - you, and your companions are outsiders. Any treachery will be dealt with, appropriately."

My thickhead hulk companion Gavaras was about to overrule my authority. Thankfully the raven to my right was always the quicker negotiater.. even better than I.

"There will be no trouble. The terms of the masquerade are acceptable." Kit'ja smiled, but knowing her tendencies, it was clearly fake. How droll.
"So be it. The path is open, follow the scent before sunrise... or feed on rats until you regain your senses. And as for your two other companions..."
"We stay together m'lady. We were not followed."
"Perhaps. But if the haven is risked to hunters, you shall die first, Marcus. Farewell, we will meet again."

And like a phantom she disappears. She was quick... very quick, and powerful. It's an unusual custom, but surely, *that* was the one we seek. Haha, this is going to be interesting.

"Daylight will be soon, be alert."

They nodded in response and started advancing. While there were only three of us, any opportunistic hunter or vampire would strike us at this hour without hesitation. It was our way of survival. Only the strong and fittest, the weak will perish.

Now, this time.

I will not leave as the weak.

Edited by Solar's Harper, 26 November 2007 - 09:57 AM.

Classic Adventures - a Total Conversion compilation dedicated to bringing many of the old and new PnP modules into the wonderfully dangerous world that is Baldur's Gate II.   Fancy link button to Downloads page.

CA Forum.  Bugs to be squashed, feedback to be welcomed!

Website at: http://classicadventuresmod.com/
~***~***~***~

When in doubt, lockpick a mudcrab!

Beware the nug conspiracy!

#2 KedorLao

KedorLao
  • 66 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 07:33 AM

That's a really cool idea. I never thought about what would happen to the vampires in the city once Bodhi was killed. I also like how you turned the woman from the mandatory passage into a character in her own right. It would be really interesting if the war between the Shadow Thieves and the vampires didn't really end, only <CHARNAME> having tipped the scales in favour of one faction over the other.

I could see this easily being expanded into more pieces. Very nice!

#3 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 07:47 AM

Well, although I have to say, the integration of the premise was a little weak, I also have to say that the scenery is nice, and the story is intresting.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 02 December 2007 - 10:52 PM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#4 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 06:52 PM

That's a really cool idea. I never thought about what would happen to the vampires in the city once Bodhi was killed. I also like how you turned the woman from the mandatory passage into a character in her own right. It would be really interesting if the war between the Shadow Thieves and the vampires didn't really end, only <CHARNAME> having tipped the scales in favour of one faction over the other.

Heh, glad you like it Kedor, the idea actually came first from Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines and a few already existing fanfics over at Fanfiction.net - but then transferred the idea to the whole guild war thing, and what happened after the events of SoA.

I also wanted to demonstrate that unlike the game's depiction, the vampires can be very ordered for their chaotic nature, and they're not all go munch on the humans or what-have-you the minute they see them.

The woman I felt had a bit more of an impact into the whole entering a new place thing than at first glance, so intergrating her in this way was pretty much my main thought when writing. :)

And as far as <CHARNAME> goes, I was trying really to avoid getting too deep into that, mainly because this is like an openning rather than a huge history portfolio, y'know? :)

I could see this easily being expanded into more pieces. Very nice!

Heh, I'm actually in the middle of considering that. :)

If I do I'll probably repost it (after some fixes) in the main fanfiction area here at SHS and see what comes next then, I might do a chapter beforehand, or go back in time with the next one for all I know. <_<

Thank you for your good review, Kedor! :hug:

Well, although I have to say, the integration of the premise was a little week, I also have to say that the scenery is nice, and the story is intresting.

Yeah, and the bit about being in Waterdeep when sired, but then suddenly appearing in Athkatla was a bit odd, I did write this on the go though, so there's my lame excuse. :)

Thanks also to you Jarno for your review. :cheers:

Classic Adventures - a Total Conversion compilation dedicated to bringing many of the old and new PnP modules into the wonderfully dangerous world that is Baldur's Gate II.   Fancy link button to Downloads page.

CA Forum.  Bugs to be squashed, feedback to be welcomed!

Website at: http://classicadventuresmod.com/
~***~***~***~

When in doubt, lockpick a mudcrab!

Beware the nug conspiracy!