Photo

The Bi-Weekly news post, ideas, and anything else I think of

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Karandras

Karandras
  • 796 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 08:48 AM

Okay in case you couldn't guess from the name of this topic this is simply a collection of all the thoughts and ideas bouncing around my head (that relate to Oblivion of course, I wont bore you with my Everquest 2 leveling plans).

The news post

With the intro out of the way we can get onto more important things. First and foremost the bi-weekly news post that I am now doing (The first one can be found here) Now that one was kinda short (mostly because I forgot about it till Wednesday morning :whistling:) however I would like to expand it to be larger and more detailed. For that however I am going to need a little help (Hmm where did everyone go? Strange...). What I need from you is suggestions of sections you would like to see (kinda like the Mod of the week and WiP of the week) As long as they relate to Oblivion I will be happy to give it a try at least once.

Two ideas I have had for new sections is a "Picture of the Week and section I like to call "Top 5 essential mods". The Picture of the week is fairly obvious but for the Top 5 essential mods I will be asking a random person what 5 mods they consider essential. Now, how about some ideas from you?

Another thing that was wondering about was a good name for the "_____ of the week" sections as it really is every other week so that title isn't really correct. Any ideas?

Ideas

I think for this section I will just throw a bunch of ideas out and see if any stick, enjoy :)

: Recombining the Oblivion stories section with the screenshots sections so stories get more views.

2: A rewrite to the nudity rules that makes it be more uniform i.e. either both male and female nipples allowed or both must be linked. (I dislike double standards as a whole) This would need approval from K'aeloree I suspect but it would be a good idea to know what everyone thinks about it first.

3: A "How the heck was that done?" thread that would be where people could ask how a certain screenshot that caught their eye was made. Might conflict a it with the comment thread but then again it would make it easier to find that kind of thing or ask about it.

4: Merging the Comments and pictures back together. Due to everything slowing down this time of year I think this might be a good idea. Also it would help those who have slower connections that have difficulty loading pages (20 posts of pictures and comments as opposed to 20 posts of solid pictures)

: Either removing or increasing the limit on full size pictures. This idea would be combined with number 4 (hence 4.5) I think they would go well together (might just be me though).

Okay thats all of those for now I might update this with more ideas later but for now that should be enough, please give your thoughts on these ideas and suggestions for the news post (it's quite hard to get an idea of what everyone thinks when only two people say anything :) )
Posted Image
Thank you Sinharvest for the signature

#2 Yorkmaster

Yorkmaster
  • 251 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 03:00 PM

..snip..
The news post

Ideas

I think for this section I will just throw a bunch of ideas out and see if any stick, enjoy :)

: Recombining the Oblivion stories section with the screenshots sections so stories get more views.

2: A rewrite to the nudity rules that makes it be more uniform i.e. either both male and female nipples allowed or both must be linked. (I dislike double standards as a whole) This would need approval from K'aeloree I suspect but it would be a good idea to know what everyone thinks about it first.

3: A "How the heck was that done?" thread that would be where people could ask how a certain screenshot that caught their eye was made. Might conflict a it with the comment thread but then again it would make it easier to find that kind of thing or ask about it.

4: Merging the Comments and pictures back together. Due to everything slowing down this time of year I think this might be a good idea. Also it would help those who have slower connections that have difficulty loading pages (20 posts of pictures and comments as opposed to 20 posts of solid pictures)

: Either removing or increasing the limit on full size pictures. This idea would be combined with number 4 (hence 4.5) I think they would go well together (might just be me though).

Karandras, here's some of my thoughts on your ideas (not all of them serious, but all of them well meant)

1 Yes

2 Okay, a rethink might be in order although not really necessary. I don't mind the rules as they are and won't be offended if we allow direct posts of pixelated female mammalian protuberances (there's that word again :P) Consistency is the key I think :) (Off topic: there should be a law that forbids men to go topless on beaches as well, it's unfair to the opposite sex :)

3 it would be better if there was to be a guide to making action shots; separate, but linked to the screenshot guide; with a list of console commands (TAI, TFC spring to mind but there's also commands to set time etc.) as well as a dl-link to some of the animation mods, maybewe could get someone to write a short tutorial?

4 it is going very slow right now so ATM it would work but when things speed up again (soon I hope) I'd like it if they are separate. it works very much like a gallery, just pics and all the talk goes on around it but doesn't disturb the whole thing with two pages of people going OOH and AAH at a shot of Rogue sun (just to pick a name at random :)) which leads to very quickly reaching the 200-mark

4.5 I say remove but then again I don't mind waiting a bit for some screenies, I usually read something else here on SHS or at the BGS-forums while this is loading
these were my thoughts; it's bedtime here in lovely Holland so goodnight
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogroves,
and the mome raths outgrabe

Lewis Carrol "Jabberwocky"
Posted Image

#3 Karandras

Karandras
  • 796 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 07:29 AM

Karandras, here's some of my thoughts on your ideas (not all of them serious, but all of them well meant)

1 Yes

2 Okay, a rethink might be in order although not really necessary. I don't mind the rules as they are and won't be offended if we allow direct posts of pixelated female mammalian protuberances (there's that word again :P) Consistency is the key I think :) (Off topic: there should be a law that forbids men to go topless on beaches as well, it's unfair to the opposite sex :)

3 it would be better if there was to be a guide to making action shots; separate, but linked to the screenshot guide; with a list of console commands (TAI, TFC spring to mind but there's also commands to set time etc.) as well as a dl-link to some of the animation mods, maybewe could get someone to write a short tutorial?

4 it is going very slow right now so ATM it would work but when things speed up again (soon I hope) I'd like it if they are separate. it works very much like a gallery, just pics and all the talk goes on around it but doesn't disturb the whole thing with two pages of people going OOH and AAH at a shot of Rogue sun (just to pick a name at random :)) which leads to very quickly reaching the 200-mark

4.5 I say remove but then again I don't mind waiting a bit for some screenies, I usually read something else here on SHS or at the BGS-forums while this is loading
these were my thoughts; it's bedtime here in lovely Holland so goodnight

1. I guess there isn't much more to say on this topic :)

2. I agree it's not necessary though it sure would make determining if a picture should be linked or not a whole lot easier :)

3. Well we do have the Screenshooter's Guide created by GF1. However since he is very busy at the moment perhaps a new/updated guide is in order...

4. Good point, switching back and forth as activity rises and falls doesn't sound like such a great idea, I guess we should stick with the split format.

Okay, one other little thing that is annoying me quite a bit at the moment, This thread has had over 30 views and only one reply (okay two now) so can everyone please please please, just give their thoughts on this? It would only take a few minutes and then I wont have to send vampire smilies after you :vbat: :vbat: :vbat: :vbat:

Edited by Karandras, 10 December 2007 - 07:31 AM.

Posted Image

#4 Ryu Doppler

Ryu Doppler

That guy with the felt hat...

• 523 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:44 PM

Ideas

1. I don't think merging the Stories and Screenshots sections would be a good idea. The way they are now is nice and organized, and makes it easy to navigate through. The stories would probably just get buried if they were merged into this section, and that could drop views to them entirely.

2. I'd have to say both allowed. :lol: Nothing wrong with seeing a little breast now and then. :P Course, anything more sensual will need to be linked, but thats just in accordance with the norm already set.

3. Don't really know how to answer this one. It's a nice idea, but I just don't see how it could work fluidly if it were like the comments thread. Unless it was a sort of Post a tutorial thread for shots or something. I got nothing on this one. :(

4. I think they should be kept split. Even though things are slow now, they are bound to pick up. Especially during breaks of sorts. And who knows when a few new folks will grace us, and then torrent the threads. ^_^ Or maybe some old folks may come back after being on hiatus/break. Although he didn't post anything besides questions in a few mod threads, I saw Grimbot online a few days ago on the Bethesda boards after being gone for a few months. So I guess it could happen. :D

4.5. I wouldn't have too much problem with a removal of the full size picture limit, if it didn't lag my connection so much. Or if I could find a way to limit the download rate for everything on Firefox. <_< Back when we first had a discussion about how many pictures we could have per post, I remember bringing up the compromise of 5 IMG links, then just regular links. Which then turned into 3 IMG, and the rest links. I'd like to believe this system is currently working, so I would just like to say I would have no problem if it just stayed the same.
A moderate amount of evil is nature to all.
If one is to control their nature, then they
must accept both the light and the dark.

Doppler's Armory - I'll do something...eventually...

#5 Chiglet

Chiglet
  • 405 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 11:29 PM

Picture of the week would be nice, though you'd need to make sure everyone gets a chance to be in it. Looking through, and being on a couple of the pciture thread forums, there are some people who constantly get the kudos, and others who get no acknowledgement at all. It's one of the resons why (at least here) I try to comment on as many poster's pics as possible.

Yop 5 essential mods? Be interesting to see what people consider to be essential, and how many of said mods are essential for how many people. Might also have them state why they consider those mods to be essential.

1) Do you mean have people post their stories in the screenshots thread? If so, there's both good and bad to that. If the thread is going slowly (as it is now) then a story might get more views. Otherwise, it'll get buried fast.

2) As a female who would like to have the right to go topless in public (don't worry, I'd actually keep my top on), I dislike double standards as well. A possibility could be to have a general screenshots thread, where both genders of nudity are linked to, and allow people to have their own "personal screenshot thread" (like DWS or the eyecandy forum) where nudity would be allowed as long as it is stated in the topic title/ description.

3) I like Yorkmaster's idea of listing comsole commands and animation mods. and I know someone did a tutorial on how to get many of said mods in game, but I couldn't make head or tails of it. Mayve a screenshooters and how-to guide for non-technical dummies? (like me)

4) I'd say keep them separate. There's a number of people here attending school, and it;s the time of finals, graduations, and the seasonal holidays. I think we'll be seeing an increase in activity right around the new year.

4.5) My vote would be to keep it the same and simply try to get those who use the larger file sizes to either switch to jpegs or use a link to their pic. Part of the slowness prob is also if one's server likes (or dislikes) the photo hosting site. My server seems to think imageshack is a spam site (it does have an overabudance of ads) and gives me fits each time I try to look at people's pics that are hosted there.

Okay, one other little thing that is annoying me quite a bit at the moment, This thread has had over 30 views and only one reply (okay two now) so can everyone please please please, just give their thoughts on this? It would only take a few minutes and then I wont have to send vampire smilies after you :vbat: :vbat: :vbat: :vbat:

Well, 58 views now and only 3 replies (not counting mine). Similar problem on the comments thread. 993 views and only 66 replies. Again, I think it's the time of year. That, and a bunch of regulars here are camped out at other forums right now.

#6 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 10 December 2007 - 11:59 PM

I'd have to agree with chiglet all the way, i think she pretty much set it straight :)
Although I wouldnt do a picture of the week thing though, thats bound to discourage many newcomers and give them the idea that their screenshots arent good enough, and even if you do give them a chance that still wouldnt be fair. Thats like me playing a game of basketball, trying really hard to beat my brother but he goes ahead and lets me win. -_-
Id say forget that idea for a POTW ;)

#7 Yorkmaster

Yorkmaster
  • 251 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 03:15 AM

Indeed keep away from the POTW, because it would be impossible to be completely objective and impartial.
and I don't think a top5 list of essential mods is possible either, do you included unofficial patches, DLC, or do you go for gamechanging mods? This question can't really be answered so that everyone agrees so keep away from it. (some of the what-is-your-top-mod threads on the BGS forum turn into flamewars real quickly)

Posted Image

#8 jaxson

jaxson
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 07:04 AM

Okay in case you couldn't guess from the name of this topic this is simply a collection of all the thoughts and ideas bouncing around my head (that relate to Oblivion of course, I wont bore you with my Everquest 2 leveling plans).

The news post

With the intro out of the way we can get onto more important things. First and foremost the bi-weekly news post that I am now doing (The first one can be found here) Now that one was kinda short (mostly because I forgot about it till Wednesday morning   :whistling:) however I would like to expand it to be larger and more detailed. For that however I am going to need a little help (Hmm where did everyone go? Strange...). What I need from you is suggestions of sections you would like to see (kinda like the Mod of the week and WiP of the week) As long as they relate to Oblivion I will be happy to give it a try at least once.

Two ideas I have had for new sections is a "Picture of the Week and section I like to call "Top 5 essential mods". The Picture of the week is fairly obvious but for the Top 5 essential mods I will be asking a random person what 5 mods they consider essential. Now, how about some ideas from you?

Another thing that was wondering about was a good name for the "_____ of the week" sections as it really is every other week so that title isn't really correct. Any ideas?

Ideas

Okay thats all of those for now I might update this with more ideas later but for now that should be enough, please give your thoughts on these ideas and suggestions for the news post (it's quite hard to get an idea of what everyone thinks when only two people say anything :) )

1.  I like the stories section,  I dont mind taking the time to do one but it seems that no one really vistis that section.  Maybe move it to the screenshot forum and just call it "Stories Section  Thread 1"   when it fills up, start thread 2.

2. Personally,  I could care less.  To me,  the nudes are no big deal but I wouldnt want to click on every time and see images of fornication.  I dont mind the fornication pics but they should be in link form with a warning.  I think posting pics of a full nude character should be the same, linked with a warning.  Keeps the forum nice and classy.   I think if you are posting pics of say,  the Mizuki Ninja outfit which shows nipples,  thats ok.  I mean,  almost everyone here is using some form of body mod in the nude version anyway.  Besides,  the nudity isnt real people.  If you are posting pics of a nude female laying on a bed,  link it.

3.  I dont really have an opininon on this one.

4.  I like keeping them seperate.  When you take the time to create a picture and post it,  its kind of frustrating when the thread is over and a new one gets started within a week or less.   Posting comments int he picture thread just speeds the thread along way to fast.  Thats why Bethesda's pictures thread is on what,  number 200 now?

I think there should be a section for the best photos and voted on by the members.  Take a couple of the best pics from each picture thread and put them in one area.
NORDS RULE! Posted Image

#9 Karandras

Karandras
  • 796 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 08:16 AM

Yikes, a few hours of sleep and we get all these replies, I need to sleep more :)

1. I don't think merging the Stories and Screenshots sections would be a good idea. The way they are now is nice and organized, and makes it easy to navigate through. The stories would probably just get buried if they were merged into this section, and that could drop views to them entirely.

2. I'd have to say both allowed. :lol: Nothing wrong with seeing a little breast now and then. :P Course, anything more sensual will need to be linked, but thats just in accordance with the norm already set.

4. I think they should be kept split. Even though things are slow now, they are bound to pick up. Especially during breaks of sorts. And who knows when a few new folks will grace us, and then torrent the threads. ^_^ Or maybe some old folks may come back after being on hiatus/break. Although he didn't post anything besides questions in a few mod threads, I saw Grimbot online a few days ago on the Bethesda boards after being gone for a few months. So I guess it could happen. :D

4.5. I wouldn't have too much problem with a removal of the full size picture limit, if it didn't lag my connection so much. Or if I could find a way to limit the download rate for everything on Firefox. <_< Back when we first had a discussion about how many pictures we could have per post, I remember bringing up the compromise of 5 IMG links, then just regular links. Which then turned into 3 IMG, and the rest links. I'd like to believe this system is currently working, so I would just like to say I would have no problem if it just stayed the same.

1. That is a possibility but I think it would help the stories more than hurt them. As it is stories get very few views and hardly any replies. If they were put back into the Screenshots section you would be reminded/notice them whenever you went to post a picture. Plus with screenshot and comments threads being archived the stories wouldn't fall to far to fast (at lest in theory)

2. Seems that just about everyone agrees on this point :) Glad to hear Grimbot is around again, he had a lot of great shot.

4. Again, seems there is plenty of agreement on this one, I guess for now it is better they stay split.

4.5 As long as we are sticking with the two threads format I think it would be best if we stuck with the 3 shots limit as otherwise it would end up taking a Long time to load the page for everyone.

Picture of the week would be nice, though you'd need to make sure everyone gets a chance to be in it. Looking through, and being on a couple of the pciture thread forums, there are some people who constantly get the kudos, and others who get no acknowledgement at all. It's one of the resons why (at least here) I try to comment on as many poster's pics as possible.

Yop 5 essential mods? Be interesting to see what people consider to be essential, and how many of said mods are essential for how many people. Might also have them state why they consider those mods to be essential.

1) Do you mean have people post their stories in the screenshots thread? If so, there's both good and bad to that. If the thread is going slowly (as it is now) then a story might get more views. Otherwise, it'll get buried fast.

2) As a female who would like to have the right to go topless in public (don't worry, I'd actually keep my top on), I dislike double standards as well. A possibility could be to have a general screenshots thread, where both genders of nudity are linked to, and allow people to have their own "personal screenshot thread" (like DWS or the eyecandy forum) where nudity would be allowed as long as it is stated in the topic title/ description.

3) I like Yorkmaster's idea of listing comsole commands and animation mods. and I know someone did a tutorial on how to get many of said mods in game, but I couldn't make head or tails of it. Mayve a screenshooters and how-to guide for non-technical dummies? (like me)

4.5) My vote would be to keep it the same and simply try to get those who use the larger file sizes to either switch to jpegs or use a link to their pic. Part of the slowness prob is also if one's server likes (or dislikes) the photo hosting site. My server seems to think imageshack is a spam site (it does have an overabudance of ads) and gives me fits each time I try to look at people's pics that are hosted there.

Well, 58 views now and only 3 replies (not counting mine). Similar problem on the comments thread. 993 views and only 66 replies. Again, I think it's the time of year. That, and a bunch of regulars here are camped out at other forums right now.

The POTW idea I think i'm going to be dropping, it would be just to hard for everyone to have a fair shot, as each person has their own unique style judging them would be like trying to pick a "best" music style or type of dance. (Yes I am watching a music video as I write this)

Yes I really like the essential mods list idea :)

1. I actually meant for them to post their stories in threads as thy are doing now only in the screenshots section.

2. Hmm that could work, a problem I can see with people making their own threads would be the page would get very crowded very fast and the normal screenshots thread would become obsolete (at least I think it would). On the other hand the pages would load faster as it would only be one person posting pictures and the rest would be comments, that would also make it so people wouldn't miss comments about their pictures. Then again (I'm going back and forth a lot aren't I?) in my opinion a single thread gives the whole thing a great sense of unity. It also kinda has the same issue as the POTW idea, some peoples thread would get more views than others and that might discourage new members.

3. Yea that is a good idea, Guess I better get working on planning something like that :)

4.5: Perhaps it could be included in the guide, a detailed guide of how to either A: make jpegs or shrink images to fit better. Above all I really don't want to impose any sort of restriction that forces people to edit their shots just to post them. (as Canadian Ice does) I really dislike that.

I'd have to agree with chiglet all the way, i think she pretty much set it straight :)
Although I wouldnt do a picture of the week thing though, thats bound to discourage many newcomers and give them the idea that their screenshots arent good enough, and even if you do give them a chance that still wouldnt be fair. Thats like me playing a game of basketball, trying really hard to beat my brother but he goes ahead and lets me win. -_-
Id say forget that idea for a POTW ;)

Yea I think I'm dropping that idea, I was originally planning on having a random person pick a screenshot each week but your right, that would still cause issues.

Indeed keep away from the POTW, because it would be impossible to be completely objective and impartial.
and I don't think a top5 list of essential mods is possible either, do you included unofficial patches, DLC, or do you go for gamechanging mods? This question can't really be answered so that everyone agrees so keep away from it. (some of the what-is-your-top-mod threads on the BGS forum turn into flamewars real quickly)

Well it would be open to the person I ask, if they consider (for example) Vile lair essential then so be it. The whole point would be to give everyone else a chance to see what mods people really like. It's not meant to be an "end all, be all" list of the 5 best mods for Oblivion, it's just the person's opinion. I can only hope those who hang around here are mature enough to handle an opinion and don't start a flame war because they don't agree with what someone else likes . Besides, if they start a flame war I do have the option of ending it quickly where on the Bethesda forums it can take awhile :)

1. I like the stories section, I dont mind taking the time to do one but it seems that no one really vistis that section. Maybe move it to the screenshot forum and just call it "Stories Section Thread 1" when it fills up, start thread 2.

2. Personally, I could care less. To me, the nudes are no big deal but I wouldn't want to click on every time and see images of fornication. I don't mind the fornication pics but they should be in link form with a warning. I think posting pics of a full nude character should be the same, linked with a warning. Keeps the forum nice and classy. I think if you are posting pics of say, the Mizuki Ninja outfit which shows nipples, thats ok. I mean, almost everyone here is using some form of body mod in the nude version anyway. Besides, the nudity isn't real people. If you are posting pics of a nude female laying on a bed, link it.

4. I like keeping them seperate. When you take the time to create a picture and post it, its kind of frustrating when the thread is over and a new one gets started within a week or less. Posting comments int he picture thread just speeds the thread along way to fast. Thats why Bethesda's pictures thread is on what, number 200 now?

I think there should be a section for the best photos and voted on by the members. Take a couple of the best pics from each picture thread and put them in one area.

1. A good idea but the problem with that would be it would get confusing with all those stories put together. Thats why I think keeping stories in their own threads, just in the screenshots section, would be good and make it so they get more attention.

2. Agreed, the last thing we need if for SHS to become known as the place to go if you want to see that sort of thing.

4. Yea, I think this idea of mine failed :)

That sort of a system would be very hard to set up and keep fair I think, not to mention discouraging to those who don't win. I think it's better if we all just keep our opinions on the best picture to ourselves to avoid issues like that.
Posted Image

#10 Yorkmaster

Yorkmaster
  • 251 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 01:38 PM

Concerning the mod list I just had an Idea: we could all post our loadorder/modlist and then make a comparison and call it SHS's most used mods or something, maybe leave out the usual unofficial patches etc, and call FCOM only one mod (even though it takes up a lot of slots) then we'll see just from using it which one is most favored, maybe everyone can say: From my load-order I like this one the best and we'll see what comes up.
A lst like this isn't very useful but it might be worth a shot if you want to do something like a favourite mod-list.

Posted Image

#11 Karandras

Karandras
  • 796 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 02:04 PM

Concerning the mod list I just had an Idea: we could all post our loadorder/modlist and then make a comparison and call it SHS's most used mods or something, maybe leave out the usual unofficial patches etc, and call FCOM only one mod (even though it takes up a lot of slots) then we'll see just from using it which one is most favored, maybe everyone can say: From my load-order I like this one the best and we'll see what comes up.
A lst like this isn't very useful but it might be worth a shot if you want to do something like a favourite mod-list.

I like that idea...I always love looking over mod lists and finding new mods I never knew about :) Might take awhile to organize the load orders into an effective list but I guess that could work, plus, it's fairly simple to post a mod list (if you use OBMM anyway) so I bet we would get plenty of lists. It's also great as it covers the same area as the original idea, helping people find new mods to use.

(great, now I have so many ideas in my head they are getting all jumbled up, guess I better start writing them down)

Edited by Karandras, 11 December 2007 - 02:06 PM.

Posted Image

#12 Chiglet

Chiglet
  • 405 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 04:40 PM

The POTW idea I think i'm going to be dropping, it would be just to hard for everyone to have a fair shot, as each person has their own unique style judging them would be like trying to pick a "best" music style or type of dance. (Yes I am watching a music video as I write this)

Yes I really like the essential mods list idea :)

1. I actually meant for them to post their stories in threads as thy are doing now only in the screenshots section.

2. Hmm that could work, a problem I can see with people making their own threads would be the page would get very crowded very fast and the normal screenshots thread would become obsolete (at least I think it would). On the other hand the pages would load faster as it would only be one person posting pictures and the rest would be comments, that would also make it so people wouldn't miss comments about their pictures. Then again (I'm going back and forth a lot aren't I?) in my opinion a single thread gives the whole thing a great sense of unity. It also kinda has the same issue as the POTW idea, some peoples thread would get more views than others and that might discourage new members.

3. Yea that is a good idea, Guess I better get working on planning something like that :)

4.5: Perhaps it could be included in the guide, a detailed guide of how to either A: make jpegs or shrink images to fit better. Above all I really don't want to impose any sort of restriction that forces people to edit their shots just to post them. (as Canadian Ice does) I really dislike that.

Was thinking about it on the drive in to work today, and the POTW could be done, though it would be a lot of work on someone?s part keepings things fair and even. If one were to set it up as sort of a pulla name out of a hat deal, it might work.
a ? Put all members/posters/screenshooters names in a ?hat?
b ? Put each members pics in their own individual ?hat?
c ? week one, pull a name out of the hat
d ? pull a picture out of that person?s hat.
e ? that?s the POTW.
f ? Don?t put that person?s name back into the main hat until all names have been used up. When all the names have been pulled, fill said hat back up and start over again.

Simple way to keep things flame-free. Make it like the interviews they are doing over at the Bethesda forums. Pick a person to be first (or a volunteer/victim) to answer a few questions.
a ? Out of your mods, which five do you consider the most essential to your game?
b ? For each of these mods, why do you consider them essential to your game?
Figure a time period between ?interviews? and a way to control posting, and you?re set. Maybe said iinterview can be done through PMs or something.

Pre-edit edit: Just read Yorkmaster?s post. I too like the idea of a mods list. It would give people an idea of what others use, and you can take the names of people for the ?essentials? list from there.

1) Ah! That makes sense. Not sure how many more views, or comments it would get the stories, but it?s worth a try.

2) Put a section in (like how we?ve currently got the stories section) and label it something like ?personal pics?. Keep the main screenshooting thread on the main page. (ie ? the page it?s on now). The main thread would be easier to get to so shouldn?t lose viewers, but it would also give people a place to put their non-Bethesda-postable pics without having to link to them. Unless the pic is of ADULT content. A warning as to the potential content of the person?s thread would need to be in the title or description.

3) The techno-idiots of the forums thank you

4.5) I like the idea of putting this info in the guide. Doesn?t impose restrictions of size, but does give people instructions on how to shrink said pics. Can?t tell you how many times I gets pics e-mailed to me that are so huge that the only thing that fits on the screen at a time is an eye or something. Detail might not be lost, but you can?t see the forest for the trees.

4.5.5) Confused yet?
4.5.6) I have a headache now.

#13 greatfool1

greatfool1
  • 351 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 10:05 AM

Hi!

I try to keep the SS Guides thread updated when I see anything unique that isn't already there - and have also asked that you post anything to the thread there, and I will later insert your post into the proper indexed section of the Guides. I do miss things on occasion I am sure, but no one else ever posts on that thread. :crying: I personally would prefer to keep all the tips and tricks in one place, and I will index it accordingly. Too many threads tends to make for a lot of short threads that get lost or ignored.

However, I can see Chiglet's and others' points about a "Screenshooter's Guide for Beginners" or something like that. If you look at these posts in the SS Guides, it is a start:

Action Summary
Animations
One possible Starter's Kit

I think it will be fine to use anything in the current Guides for this new Beginner's Guides as long as you note who originally contributed it - and if you want something from the Guides that I have quoted, and you cannot just get it yourself, PM me and I will copy it and send it to you.

Happy Holidays to all of you!

Edited by greatfool1, 12 December 2007 - 10:20 AM.

#14 Yorkmaster

Yorkmaster
  • 251 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 10:33 AM

Hi!

I try to keep the SS Guides thread updated when I see anything unique that isn't already there - and have also asked that you post anything to the thread there, and I will later insert your post into the proper indexed section of the Guides. I do miss things on occasion I am sure, but no one else ever posts on that thread. :crying: I personally would prefer to keep all the tips and tricks in one place, and I will index it accordingly. Too many threads tends to make for a lot of short threads that get lost or ignored.

However, I can see Chiglet's and others' points about a "Screenshooter's Guide for Beginners" or something like that. If you look at these posts in the SS Guides, it is a start:

Action Summary
Animations
One possible Starter's Kit

I think it will be fine to use anything in the current Guides for this new Beginner's Guides as long as you note who originally contributed it - and if you want something from the Guides that I have quoted, and you cannot just get it yourself, PM me and I will copy it and send it to you.

Happy Holidays to all of you!

GF1: I'd forgotten all about your thread :crying: and was just assuming that the screenshot thread that's locked was the "how to make a beautiful character" tutorial. (which goes to show that you never should assume anything :)) maybe we could edit some things like adding animations out of the whole thing to keep it a bit non-cs user friendly or make edit it so that links etc work again (I still saw tessource-links :)) and remove some of the outdated topics/conversations with self. but on the whole I think everything is there and we just need to read those three pages. So i think we don't need a whole new tutorial maybe a short summary or so but there's no need to re-invent the wheel :rolleyes:

Posted Image

#15 greatfool1

greatfool1
  • 351 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 02:08 PM

<snip>
maybe we could edit some things like adding animations out of the whole thing to keep it a bit non-cs user friendly or make edit it so that links etc work again (I still saw tessource-links :))

Yeah, the new animation links were (are?) especially unstable. I did notice at one point that links to tessource got automatically redirected to TESNEXUS, so I wasn't too worried about updating those. But if someone wants to organize the Animation section, that would certainly be good. This is why the first link in the Animations section is to the TES Official Forums thread about all of the animations - by MarkQuinn - though I am not sure he is keeping up with them there either.

and remove some of the outdated topics/conversations with self.

:ROFL:
What - remove conversations that I had with myself???!!! I had to speak to someone, since no one else ever posts there! :crying: Of all the things to ask for!!! :P ;) j/k of course.

but on the whole I think everything is there and we just need to read those three pages. So i think we don't need a whole new tutorial maybe a short summary or so but there's no need to re-invent the wheel :rolleyes:

Yes, a short summary would be excellent.

Edited by greatfool1, 12 December 2007 - 02:10 PM.

#16 Yorkmaster

Yorkmaster
  • 251 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 02:32 PM

and remove some of the outdated topics/conversations with self.

:ROFL:
What - remove conversations that I had with myself???!!! I had to speak to someone, since no one else ever posts there! :crying: Of all the things to ask for!!! :P ;) j/k of course.

:lol: :D
That's a very common problem, it happens to me as well, you want to talk to the most intelligent person around and when you're behind your PC who's that? well yourself of course :) the fact that I mentioned it was that it does make the whole thing quite chaotic and hard to follow. the way the how to make a beautiful character is set up is better I think (no quote boxes just credits in parentheses behind hints) or just make a credits entry at the end for all the people who've contributed to the tutorial/manual/thingy that would be best I think

the thread by MarkQuinn is still up so that can still be used (we could bump it, although I don't like bumping) and I'm not saying you should reorganize the animations section but if someone who knows most of them and how they work would do it that would be great (I've only used AiC AiM and some JoJo) maybe Karandras can ask for volunteers him being staffmember and all ;)

BTW: any Af story's coming up I haven't seen one in quite some time :D

Posted Image

#17 Karandras

Karandras
  • 796 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 03:31 PM

maybe Karandras can ask for volunteers him being staff member and all ;)

BTW: any Af story's coming up I haven't seen one in quite some time :D

Or perhaps I could write up a tutorial myself :) At one time or another I have used all of them (that I know of) So I think I would be able to make something up. And by "make up" I mean do extensive research of course. ;)

And yes, we need more of AF's adventures :)

Edited by Karandras, 12 December 2007 - 03:32 PM.

Posted Image

#18 greatfool1

greatfool1
  • 351 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 03:43 PM

Yorkmaster, I agree that the SS Guides could definitely use those suggestions, but also keep in mind that SeV basically wrote the whole Character Guide, whereas the SS Guide was built around Shadow's and Divine Avenger's Guides, followed by many other contributors. I wanted to maintain at least Shadow's and Avenger's work separately - and so only indexed all the rest.

I spent many hours getting it indexed and fortunately SHS lets me store it here - and it was even pinned here! That was very nice of them. I rushed to get it done because I was worried that the TES version would die off before preserving it - it is almost at 200 posts over there, and would be over that by now if I hadn't moved it to SHS.

I wish I could totally re-organize it from scratch, but I think that may be a while. I am committed to editing it, indexing within the current structure, and adding new categories though. If someone else wants to have a go, or re-do the animation section, etc., please let me know. I can also link to any new work done by others too.

And if someone wants to do a shorter summary/beginner's guide, that could also be very useful - though the first several posts of the current Guides thread provides plenty of info to get someone going.

Anyway, let me know how I might be able to help.

Edit: That sounds great, Karandras! The animations are definitely the most in need of organizing and explaining!

Edit2: Hmmm, AF... Hopefully soon! Thanks!

Edited by greatfool1, 12 December 2007 - 03:50 PM.

#19 Chiglet

Chiglet
  • 405 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 04:08 PM

If it can wait for a day or two, I can think about re-organization and give some ideas. Work and personall life have just gone bonkers. Sigh. Sanity wil start Friday night. :)

#20 cyborgakadjmoose

cyborgakadjmoose
  • 253 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 01:49 PM

Wow...haven't been here in ages. Just have finals week and then I can return to Oblivion!!

But anyways...I like the suggestions that have been decided on thus far. I think they will do some good.

*retreats back into the college abyss.*
CYBORGAKADJMOOSE (Cyborg also known as DJMoose)

"I don't recall using teleportation, yet there I was....alone...naked."

My Deviantart

My Myspace

Cool place for character names: www.behindthename.com

Posted Image