Kellen's Chronicles

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 08:09 PM

So to begin with I'll tell you of my character. Or post screenshots of the character creation page anyways.

Character Info and Front View:
Posted Image

Profile and Voice:
Posted Image

For the moment that's all. I'll probably dig into his alignment(why he's LE as opposed to NE, LN, or such else) and his planned PrC journey in one of my following segments, but for now just a beginning.

PS: Yes his last name was stolen. It happened after I changed his subrace from Moon Elf to Sun Elf. I was creating his appearance and noticed that he was beginning to resemble another Sun Elf. I was kinda dead for last names at the time so I took it.

Edited by Kellen, 14 December 2007 - 08:20 PM.

"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#2 whatbrick

whatbrick
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 08:48 PM

This should be interesting to follow...kind of like watching a movie with the director's commentary turned on.
NWN2 Heads and Hairstyles, or How I Became a Virtual Beautician : Whatbrick's NWN2 Character Customization Collection
Bring out the Angel or Demon in you...or at least their wings: Neverwinter Nights 2 - Wings Galore Pak v1.0

#3 Bluenose

Bluenose

The gnome-sage of Ral Worcester

• 1565 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 08:00 AM

This looks like fun. And it's made me think of reviving an idea I had, of doing a walkthrough with a commentary and character description.

Back from the brink.

Like RPGs? Like Star Wars? Think combining the two would be fun? Read Darths and Droids, and discover the line "Jar Jar, you're a genius".

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth's foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
And took their wages and are dead.

#4 cmorgan

cmorgan
  • Modder
  • 2301 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 08:21 AM

Really cool for those of us not yet able to play the game, too - there was a set of playthrough/walkthrough things like this for an Evil Tutu run at SP awhile ago, and they were very fun. I am looking forward to it :)

#5 Kai Hohiro

Kai Hohiro
  • 69 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 03:38 PM

I'm looking forward to this, simply because I'll finally get an evil perspective on the game! (I suck horribly at being evil and always ended up being good or atleast neutral)

#6 Kellen

Kellen

• 7092 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 08:55 PM

Well the weekend was a bit busier than I would have liked and I haven't gotten farther than the prologue as of yet. So nothing too exciting gamewise, though I got to Sneak Attack Wyl after his stupidity with Amie, and I don't think I could be happier there. And I learned that Amie and Bevil have a greater spot/listen than my Hide/Move Silently skills of 9(4+3(dex)+2(Stealthy feat)). I just finished winning the cup, so all that's left is telling Georg and moving onward. I love Sneak Attack so much.

But I decided to look into alignment, as it is one of the cores of a character. And it allows me to get all philosophical.

Everyone has different views of different alignments. Wizards has given their description of course. For reference they are here.

Now for my thoughts on alignments and why Maerdor was closest to LE of the alignments.

LN - LN can be leaned towards LG or LE, and represents someone who puts law, honor, tradition, or order over any moral question. It would also be the lawfully minded who while seeking a good end goal uses means of extremely questionable morality. It represents Maerdor as one who is willing to torture and murder a child to save two other lives.

LE - As said by Wizards, LE is one who follows his code of honor and what it entails, but is little swayed by morality. His code may forbid him from killing a child, but he has no compunctions not to kill the innocent. It represents Maerdor as one who keeps to his own brand of honor, is loyal to those who earn his loyalty, holds little care for good itself, and values rules and regulations, if not those of society.

NE - NE has no holds to law, rules, or honor, save what they choose as their own, but nor do they have a desire to go against society. They are willing to break oaths, betray trusts, and do whatever is in their best interests however it is regarded morally. It represents Maerdor as one who does whatever he feels like, whether morally good or evil, and with little care for society's laws, beyond the possible punishments.

In the end I chose LE as you could see. While Maerdor will occasionally do deeds classified as good, or deeds for good ends, it is usually for greater gain in the end and for the favors he can then draw from people. Though sometimes it is merely for a special circumstance(certain characters will gain a mostly unseen compassion from him). He will keep to his word, and is most at home in a structured environment. He supports society and its rules, even if he does not follow all of them, because he relies on a community for survival. (And he needed to be E to get the assassin PrC)

So I hope you got an interesting look into the character and motivations of Maerdor, and that I didn't scare you away from what is probably going to be the darker side of the NWN2 campaign.

EDIT:
@ Bluenose That could be very helpful, and the ones for BG2 did good if that influences your decision at all.

@CM Not quite a walkthrough as of yet. If it turns into that it will, for now just a thread to write down all the thoughts of interest on my character, NPCs, plot(expect spoilers to be tagged), and acts that I take that affect my alignment in ways both expected and not, and reasons for why I took that choice anyway. And possibly notes when I

@Kai This is going to be my first evil guy in NWN2. My first evil guy in a CRPG besides my one time in BG2(that didn't last long and barely counted.) This guy has been in my head for a couple months though, so I decided to give him a chance here. Looking forward to it.

Edited by Kellen, 18 December 2007 - 09:02 PM.

"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

#7 Kellen

Kellen

• 7092 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 07:51 AM

So, yeah, I'm ready to post again. Holiday season's had me running in circles, and gone for quite a bit of the time. But here finally is some thoughts on the beginning.

~~~~~~~~~~

Thoughts on the Harvest Festival. How have we lost every year? Even the last year? We have a wizard to overwhelm anyone at the Tourney of Talent. I?m a rogue who easily succeeds at the Knave?s Challenge. And both Bevil and I can shoot a full ten at the Archery Competition. The only thing the Mossfeld?s seem to be good at is the Brawl. If this were to be our first year it might have possibly, maybe, slightly made sense.

So I take out the Archery right away. Perfect score, instant win. Start on the Knave?s Challenge. So I have two out of two. Even if I had somehow managed to explode my game and fail the Tourney of Talent(the one they seem to suggest we always win), I?ve got two. If the Mossfeld?s won two I suppose we would have had a draw or a tie-breaker or something.

But they can win a maximum of one. The Brawl. Maybe last year they hired Kipp while I was working on the Tourney of Talent. And as fighters they got a good score on the Archery while I was busy brawling someone, and miraculously, not gaining a single XP. And of course they could whoop our tails in the brawl.

Well not this year. There is one strategy that I use when my main character is not a warrior. Run. He runs around the outside of the ring while two of the Mossfelds, usually Wyl and Ward, chase him. When they fall behind he Sneak Attacks the third Mossfeld; when they attack Bevil, (Amie is not meant for brawling, it should be more one on one like Lorne, and Cormick) he sneak attack them. Easy win. Almost too easy. And I was still level 1.

And the Harvest cup is won, along with their pretty Harvest Cloak, and etc. etc. blah, blah, blah. That concludes the Prologue.

We?re on to chapter 1. Duergar and Bladelings attack the village. And little level three roguish me, who for some reason is unofficially a member of the militia helps turn them back. Luckily he?s smart enough to know that if they aren?t turned back, he?s dead. Also he?s smart enough to get the entire militia(including the Mossfeld?s whom he despises, life comes before grudges) instead of the 5(?) they tell you to find, and he takes the few moments to rob-ehem, secure-the items in Tarmas? house, that may be very valuable for the oncoming fight - or not, a scroll of identify, a mandolin, some gold, and a book. The only thing somewhat helpful was the alchemist?s fire.. The items he stole from other houses (Arvoreen?s Amulet, money, healing items(scratch that, those are helpful), and whatever) are certain to come in handy at some point.

Galen apparently left immediately after I won the cup, or right after the festivities died down, neither of which was all that intelligent. With all the mess going around leaving in the dead of night was either stupid or suspicious. Whatever.

Ward apparently can?t do anything until you get him the mystical fluorescent moss. I wasted a healer?s kit on him, and you know how nice those are. So I reloaded a few minutes back.

We took the time to interview the dying dwarf. Why? Knowledge is power, and we didn?t see any of the baddies Georg was supposedly fending off.

We also helped the Starlings. It was 2 against 3(in the video there were three anyways. Inside there were two dead and five alive. Fake? Definitely. Maybe they just reproduce that quickly.) as opposed to 11 against waves, a single one being about 13. Plus loot. And Maerdor just might have appreciated that Bevil saved his life. He pays his debts.

So Maerdor takes care of rescuing the children from the rapidly reproducing and maturing dwarves. Maybe they opened a dark portal in there? Anyways 7 dead dwarves later Maerdor snatches healing supplies and weapons, and whatever else is near them, and heads back out to see how the rest of the village fares.

Of course the loss of one rogue and one fighter means they?re fighting for their lives. Ok, maybe the few losses(what? 3?) on our side hurt just a little. I join the battle, and more come and Daeghun decides he might as well not let the village die. I really should have kept the bow. The extra damage would have been nice if I?d used it.

But I?ll complain less. West Harbor is safe, and now I?m after Daeghun?s nice silver. If he sends me after the china next?