Photo

Improved Anvil

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 manwe858

manwe858
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 05:05 PM

While going through the changes and pre-reqs for Improved Anvil, I'm almost certain that it is completely incompatible with most of the mods hosted here and at G3. It almost seems like Anvil is a completely separate entity when compared to SHS stuff and G3 stuff, which seem to share a lot of the same community members. I'm just wondering if Anvil would break any of the mods on the BGT side or if it's even installable since I'd like to try out some of the mod ideas. Also if anyone's tried IA, what their opinions about it are.

Thanks,
Manwe858

#2 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 05:10 PM

(General note to all who may consider particpating in this topic: Play nice.)

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#3 Nazar

Nazar
  • 68 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 05:19 PM

I have just recently played thru IA with EoU/RR/BG fixpack 112 and it is put together well and appears to be extremly stable....no ctd's....no clua and such, but.....I just uninstalled....lol...I just do not have the patience to reload three to five times to win a fight. Others do and really seem to like it. I went for that mod for the stability but I guess it is back to BP/SCS/SCS2 for me. There is allot of potential with those in regards to adding in stuff....of course that is a problem all to itself.....I can't seem to weed anything out of my list of must haves.....feel like a crack addict.... :crying:

It is getting to the point that I need to play the game though....lol.....I have been installing and reinstalling for weeks now.
I am just not very cpu savy and have been looking for that perfect no error game.....yeah I know pipe dream....

Oh and hello my name is Nazar and I am a Baldurholic

#4 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 18 December 2007 - 05:19 PM

a lot of people have found improved anvil works okay with bgt if you take your clothes off when you install it

#5 Nazar

Nazar
  • 68 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 05:22 PM

that was funny I don't care who you are..... :ROFL: but actually Vlad is working on a patch right now for just that thing....they are very good and proactive a BWL in regards to bug fixing....which by the way they do not have allot of!

#6 manwe858

manwe858
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 05:22 PM

I have just recently played thru IA with EoU/RR/BG fixpack 112 and it is put together well and appears to be extremly stable....no ctd's....no clua and such, but.....I just uninstalled....lol...I just do not have the patience to reload three to five times to win a fight. Others do and really seem to like it. I went for that mod for the stability but I guess it is back to BP/SCS/SCS2 for me. There is allot of potential with those in regards to adding in stuff....of course that is a problem all to itself.....I can't seem to weed anything out of my list of must haves.....feel like a crack addict.... :crying:

What is EoU by the way?

It is getting to the point that I need to play the game though....lol.....I have been installing and reinstalling for weeks now.
I am just not very cpu savy and have been looking for that perfect no error game.....yeah I know pipe dream....

So IA is more difficult? I'm interested because I love tactical challenges.

Oh and hello my name is Nazar and I am a Baldurholic

:cheers:

Thanks for your thoughts.

#7 manwe858

manwe858
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 05:24 PM

a lot of people have found improved anvil works okay with bgt if you take your clothes off when you install it

I feel stupid but I don't get it.... :unsure:

#8 Nazar

Nazar
  • 68 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 05:25 PM

EoU is Weimer's EASE and yes very challanging....you might really like it. Vlad was going to fix somethings and post at the end of the week patches that will enable you to play NEJ2/BGT/IA together!

#9 Nazar

Nazar
  • 68 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 05:26 PM

EoU is Weimer's EASE and yes very challanging....you might really like it. Vlad was going to fix somethings and post at the end of the week patches that will enable you to play NEJ2/BGT/IA together!

Oh and Manwe does this mean you are giving up on your current install....I have been following it?

#10 manwe858

manwe858
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 05:30 PM

EoU is Weimer's EASE and yes very challanging....you might really like it.

Duh... Ease of Use, :doh: I just haven't used it in forever because BG2Tweaks includes those tweaks. Interesting, IA probably breaks SCSII and anything that touches scripting though, so no IA with tweaks for BG2 portion of the game I take it.

Vlad was going to fix somethings and post at the end of the week patches that will enable you to play NEJ2/BGT/IA together!

That interests me greatly, although I'm really trying to do a tactically challenging game that's true to the original story at the moment.

#11 Nazar

Nazar
  • 68 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 05:32 PM

EoU is Weimer's EASE and yes very challanging....you might really like it.

Duh... Ease of Use, :doh: I just haven't used it in forever because BG2Tweaks includes those tweaks. Interesting, IA probably breaks SCSII and anything that touches scripting though, so no IA with tweaks for BG2 portion of the game I take it.

Vlad was going to fix somethings and post at the end of the week patches that will enable you to play NEJ2/BGT/IA together!

That interests me greatly, although I'm really trying to do a tactically challenging game that's true to the original story at the moment.

Yes not other tactical mods at all except IA....but it all by it self will surprise you....some really challenging stuff packed in there!

#12 manwe858

manwe858
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 05:37 PM

Oh and Manwe does this mean you are giving up on your current install....I have been following it?

Oh, not at all. IA caught my attention while I was going through LWatson's Big World install. I was researching on all the mods he had and if I wanted any of them for a later mega-ish install and IA caught my attention. I'll be playing through this one till the end to track down bugs, then I'll be slowly adding and testing mods that I like. My goal is similar to Leonardo Watson's, but it'll probably take me years to complete since college still holds most of my attention. I'm just on break now :cheers:. By then most of these mods will be compatible with each other anyway... (hopefully), thanks to the dedicated staff of modders we have here. Oh and if you have any suggestions for what I'm doing, please bring them up; I'm very open to criticism.

Thanks.

#13 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

The great pretender... of modding!

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 06:58 PM

(General note to all who may consider particpating in this topic: Play nice.)

Spoilsport. :P

BEGIN MTS#AttemptingTact

Remember that IA was written as a standalone mod (for the most part). It overrites scripts and creatures (through a unique patching system).

IA changes Imoen's class, blocks cheats, assumes reloads, and blocks reloads on some random chances.

Not knowning much about the mod from personal experience, my words may be more perception then fact. I base my opion on my experience with the author, the forum administration, and what I have read on the readme, the forum, and looking at the files. While there is some interesting coding, I am just not interested in the mod.

IA will probably have some conflicts with BGT. 

If in doubt, look at the short compatability/incompatability list at BWL.

So in short, there are no successful tests completed or fully doccumented. You can try it, but me (and a few others) would not reccomend it.

I will say from personal experience, I would not expect if bugs are found during a trial for them to be fixed by Sekrit.

END

As for bugs being fixed quickly... (sigh) ... I will simply add that not all posts made at BWL remain visible for long. If you do report bugs, you will want to be extremly polite, and possibly praise the author while you do it.

(Although if Vlad is willing to work on it, that would be cool. I happen to like/respect Vlad)

Edited by MajorTomSawyer, 18 December 2007 - 07:02 PM.

- The transitioned former modder once known as MTS.

#14 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 07:11 PM

setup-berelinde.tp2
BEGIN ~Play Nice - v 1.0~

COMPILE ~berelinde/dialogue/iacomments.d~
berelinde/dialogue/iacomments.d
BEGIN ~B!BERE~

APPEND ~B!BERE~

IF ~IsGabber(Player1)~ THEN BEGIN iacomments
SAY ~Improved Anvil is not designed with compatibility in mind. This is not to say that it will destroy either your installion or your enjoyment of the game. I say only that it is designed to be played under the operating conditions specified in the Improved Anvil readme. Deviations from that are undertaken at the sole risk of the player.~
= ~I enjoyed IA v 2. After that, it got too rich for my blood.~
= ~Please see the link in the attached quote.~
IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END
END

Please see DavidW's comprehensive discussion on Improved Anvil here

Sorry. I really couldn't resist, although I have made every attempt at tact.

Edit: OMG, MTS, get out of my skull!

Edited by berelinde, 18 December 2007 - 07:12 PM.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#15 manwe858

manwe858
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 07:14 PM

IA changes Imoen's class, blocks cheats, assumes reloads, and blocks reloads on some random chances.

Wow, blocks reloads, that could be a potentially harrowing experience.

Not knowning much about the mod from personal experience, my words may be more perception then fact. I base my opion on my experience with the author, the forum administration, and what I have read on the readme, the forum, and looking at the files. While there is some interesting coding, I am just not interested in the mod.

*long prolonged ohhhhhhh*

IA will probably have some conflicts with BGT.

If in doubt, look at the short compatability/incompatability list at BWL.

So in short, there are no successful tests completed or fully doccumented. You can try it, but me (and a few others) would not reccomend it.

As I suspected.

As for bugs being fixed quickly... (sigh) ... I will simply add that not all posts made at BWL remain visible for long. If you do report bugs, you will want to be extremly polite, and possibly praise the author while you do it.

(Although if Vlad is willing to work on it, that would be cool. I happen to like/respect Vlad)

Thanks for the tip. That was very informative. I will probably conduct tests with the mod and see what happens. I understand that these mods are not allowed to be publicly changed without authors approval also?

Thanks,
manwe858

#16 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 07:20 PM

Heh, must be all the time you have been helping me code Shy.

The mod I am working on again. At this moment actually...

Thanks for the tip. That was very informative. I will probably conduct tests with the mod and see what happens. I understand that these mods are not allowed to be publicly changed without authors approval also?

Thanks,
manwe858

That is correct (allthough it opens up a discussion on how anyone can 'own' anything that is based on editing/hacking a game none of us created - just trust me - don't go there).

There would be flames/arguements/siting 'legal' code if anyone did.

Edited by MajorTomSawyer, 18 December 2007 - 07:24 PM.

#17 manwe858

manwe858
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 07:40 PM

Please see DavidW's comprehensive discussion on Improved Anvil here

Sorry. I really couldn't resist, although I have made every attempt at tact.

Wow... amazingly in depth and reassuring analysis of modder's considerations. That definitely does help my considerations of which AI mods to pick. I will try both, since I do love a tactical challenge.

Thank you very much for that link. It's just amazing to me how much consideration is given to this game even after all these years. Keep up the good work. I'm just waiting for the next revolutionary BG-esque super CRPG to come out. I've tried NWN's and NWN2's eye candy but BG still has me hooked big time; just through it's simple and seemingly infinite customizability.

:cheers: ,
manwe858

#18 Caedwyr

Caedwyr

Wraith Editor

• 962 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 08:36 PM

If you are looking for a tactical challenge, another thing you can try is using DEFJAM to modify experience rewards. A slower leveling pace combined with an AI mod makes it much more challenging. Another mod I like to throw into the mix is The_Bigg's Tweakpack component which allows you to change the difficulty setting with respect to AI, but lets you still adjust the bonuses/penalties the normal difficulty slider.

DEFJAM, I've been told is BGT compatible. I'm not sure about tb#tweaks.

Wow, blocks reloads, that could be a potentially harrowing experience.

You can get around most of them using the CLUAConsole, but you can't post on the IA boards for how to do this, and any posts explaining how to do this tend to get deleted even if spoiler tags are used. /shrug moderator's prerogative I guess.

Edited by Caedwyr, 18 December 2007 - 08:38 PM.

"Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil." - Ferret

PnP Celestials
Geomantic Sorcerer Kit

#19 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:33 PM

Bigg's Tweaks are most definitely compat with BGT.

...they are very good and proactive a BWL in regards to bug fixing....which by the way they do not have allot of!

From what little I know of BWL forums, and that only by its reputation, such a statement, if infering that BWL is not proactive and has allot of bugs in their mods, such statement would have been silently deleted, or critique most extensively by BWL veterans.

We're still playing nice, yes?

#20 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:48 PM

From what little I know of BWL forums, and that only by its reputation, such a statement, if infering that BWL is not proactive and has allot of bugs in their mods, such statement would have been silently deleted, or critique most extensively by BWL veterans.

We're still playing nice, yes?

For the record I did not say that.

Nor will I deny this statement.