Photo

Dynaheir journal/gnolls bug

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Daelric

Daelric
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 01:51 PM

Man, I seem to be on a roll here! Found another bug (I think)!

Here's what happens. While I have installed the original SMM of BigMoshi's, I have NOT been following his walkthrough (what would be the fun in that!) so I've been visiting and doing things in different order from him. Now, I had already cleared out the Wilderness Lake area and the northeast quadrant of the Red Canyons map BEFORE doing up the Nashkel mines stuff. From there I did the mines, killed Mulahey, and tied up loose ends with Berran Ghastkill in Nashkel before heading up to Beregost and taking out Tranzig, talking to Elminster, and handing in some tainted ore at the Thunder Hammer Smithy. It was around this time that I had a bad rash of assassination attempts on me (see my post about the Wand of Monster Summoning) and when i finally made it through that, I headed back to Wilderness Lake, just to make sure that I had completed the area. While running through there, I helped out Drizzt with the gnolls no problem, and then he headed off.

Now, I knew that I had NOT completed Red Canyons yet, as I was not strong enough at the time to take out Bassilus and his undead horde. I headed up there, and lo and behold, Drizzt pops up again with a page from Dynaheir's journal! I go through the dialogue with him, bla bla bla, I'm supposed to meet up with him a day later. He leaves, and I set my party moving, and they haven't gone an inch onscreen (literally) before two gnolls pop up out of nowhere, but they're not hostile. Not sure what they're about, i try talking to them... no can do; they have no dialogue. So then, out of curiosity, I save the game and kill them, and it turns out one of them has another page of Dyna's journal. I reload, clear up the whole map thinking maybe something else will happen somewhere, but nothing does. I go back to where the two gnolls are, sleep a few times so that at least a day has passed to see if Drizzt comes back like he's supposed to, but he doesn't.

So, to make a long story short, I looked up the area in BigMoshi's walkthrough and find out there's supposed to be some kind of quest involved, with FOUR gnolls turning good or some such, and warning about a mad sorceror that's sending gnoll packs after Dynaheir. I've reloaded the game to a point before coming back to Red Canyon and entered the map from a different side, but the same thing happens: after talking to Drizzt, 2 friendly gnolls pop up with no dialogue so I can't speak to them (i.e. "Gnoll - has nothing to say to you").

Is there any way to fix this? Sounds like an interesting quest arc I'd rather not miss. I'm thinking the simplest way would be to CLUA in the gnoll that is supposed to do the talking, but I have no idea how I'd go about finding out what CRE that is myself. Any help would, as always, be very much appreciated!

EDIT:

I actually did manage to find the gnoll CRE that is supposed to have the dialogue in question using near infinity: X#DGNLG1.CRE
By looking at him and his three companions (X#DGNLG2 to 4) I found that it is actually the first, with the dialogue, that holds the journal page... so, even though only 2 have been popping up for me, one of them IS the one that's supposed to talk to me. Something fishy's going on here! As the limit to my knowledge has been reached (there's no way I'm going to start messing with state triggers and such) I just have to hope that one of you folks can help me out :)

Edited by Daelric, 30 December 2007 - 02:13 PM.

#2 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 05:03 PM

I actually did manage to find the gnoll CRE that is supposed to have the dialogue in question using near infinity: X#DGNLG1.CRE
By looking at him and his three companions (X#DGNLG2 to 4) I found that it is actually the first, with the dialogue, that holds the journal page... so, even though only 2 have been popping up for me, one of them IS the one that's supposed to talk to me. Something fishy's going on here! As the limit to my knowledge has been reached (there's no way I'm going to start messing with state triggers and such) I just have to hope that one of you folks can help me out :)

Unfortunately, all I know is that X# is the BG1 NPC Project prefix, and the gnolls are part of Phase 2. So this is where I call the BG1 NPC Project emergency services to help you out.

Edited by Ascension64, 30 December 2007 - 05:06 PM.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#3 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 07:17 PM

I just did that quest today as I am trying all of the BG1NPC goodies and easter eggs/quests. When Drizzt leaves the first time, the "good" knolls approach and begin dialog. You may have to wait. It worked in the red canyons and I agree to help with drizzt which just ends up he goes off on his own (non joinable) then the gnolls appear after a little bit. The dialog starts, they give the journal or whatever options, party sleeps about a day and Drizzt comes back telling about beating the bad gnolls. The read me in your BG1NPC file has info on the quests with globals and spoilers. However, I did not try all three outcomes, but I did have to set the original global to get the quest working. You may have had to set a global for them to get the dialog.

Edited by Hoppy, 30 December 2007 - 07:18 PM.

?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

Posted Image The Definitive Guide to Trolls

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#4 bigmoshi

bigmoshi
  • Modder
  • 230 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 07:45 PM

Ok I'll take a look at this tonight. Gotta go out w/ my gf >_<

Btw, could you post a saved game just before encountering Drizzit? Thanks :D

Update: Also, can you send me DYNAHEIR.bcs from your override directory?

Now i really have to run ~ she's gog to kill me...

Edited by bigmoshi, 30 December 2007 - 08:29 PM.

"[You are] the foe of my foe, friend of my friend, by the first sapling that rose where Shilmista now stands, and by the shadow it will cast before all things will end, I swear to give my blood for you." - Kivan when we meet Imanel Silversword.

bigmoshiteam2.jpg

@ SMM Auto DL / Auto-Installer / Manual Install / Walkthru - based on Erebusant's installation @
@ Infinity Explorer v0.85 (Some fixes for v0.75/v0.80) @
@ Future of MegaMods? - Working with Mega-Modification Installations - by Ascension64 @

#5 Daelric

Daelric
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 10:46 PM

Okay, so this is weird, and I kind of feel like an idiot again....

I swear I tried to get this to work about a dozen times today before giving up. So then I went to work. I just got back from work, checked my email and posts on the forum here, and decided to load the game up to get that savegame for BigMoshi. I think "while I'm here, I may as well try one more time", so I do... and it works this time! WTF!?

Only thing I did different, is not move an inch... once Drizzt left, I just left the party motionless until the gnolls spawned in... and there was 4 of them, and the lead one came and initiated dialogue right away. Given that the Red Canyon has some very narrow passages in it, maybe the initial screwups were due to the gnolls not being able to spawn in correctly? I have no idea... not even sure if that would be a valid reason for what I experienced earlier.

Sorry again guys... not trying to waste your time! But since the first couple bugs I found, I'm kind of taking this bug-reporting for BigMoshi quite seriously ;)

I'm still posting the savegame here to see if BigMoshi can recreate my original experience. The party is at the Temple of Lathander map on the western edge... upon loading the game, travel via that edge to Red Canyons right away and after Drizzt is done talking to you, start walking south and see what happens.

Daelric

Attached Files

#6 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 11:44 PM

@Daelric> I will try your save game. I was reading cmorgan's (BG1NPCproject)support posts in the BWP about BG1NPC with Drizzt saga so check that out
HERE

@big moshi>again I don't have your log but I will test Daelric's save. Does your log have Drizzt saga ?
?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#7 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 12:49 AM

Attached File  ScrnShot.rar   4.01MB   353 downloads
Your game works fine with mine as far as that quest is. Dialogs are funky and the worldmap was funked up (dialog.tlk). I attached some screenshots for you and I did two variations. That gnoll is going to talk to you and initiate the dialog. I did ctrly+y Bassilus and other enemies for time but that shouldn't matter. What are you waiting for? Defeat him and get your 5000g's. I am not going to tell you what options to pick. There are three variations to the quest and I am not a spoiler... :rolleyes:

@Daelric> I will try your save game. I was reading cmorgan's (BG1NPCproject)support posts in the BWP about BG1NPC with Drizzt saga so check that out
HERE

@big moshi>again I don't have your log but I will test Daelric's save. Does your log have Drizzt saga ?

Edited by Hoppy, 31 December 2007 - 11:51 AM.

- King Diamond

#8 bigmoshi

bigmoshi
  • Modder
  • 230 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 07:35 AM

Hello, another 30 mins to the new year for me :D

Anyway I tried to do some testing couple of times on the saved game, and it seemed to be ok. Guess it could just be some memory lapse in the variables.

On the other hand, it seems like Hoppy was right! Your worldmap locations look jumbled up. See the picture below for a comparison. Top is mine & the bottom one from the saved game.

Posted Image

If it looks ok on your installation, then its fine possibly cos of some variable differences b/w the installs. If it doesn't look right on your game as well, then its due to some component differences in your weidu log. I suspect it could be due to the widescreen mod used at the end. The BG2_Tweak differences shouldn't affect the WM i think. (I highlighted the differences in blue, mainly occuring at the end of the log)

See comparison here -> Attached File  daelricWEIDU.htm   239.12K   451 downloads

"[You are] the foe of my foe, friend of my friend, by the first sapling that rose where Shilmista now stands, and by the shadow it will cast before all things will end, I swear to give my blood for you." - Kivan when we meet Imanel Silversword.

bigmoshiteam2.jpg

@ SMM Auto DL / Auto-Installer / Manual Install / Walkthru - based on Erebusant's installation @
@ Future of MegaMods? - Working with Mega-Modification Installations - by Ascension64 @

#9 bigmoshi

bigmoshi
  • Modder
  • 230 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 07:41 AM

Attached File  ScrnShot.rar   4.01MB   353 downloads
Your game works fine with mine as far as that quest is. Dialogs are funky and the worldmap was funked up (dialog.tlk). I attached some screenshots for you and I did two variations. That gnoll is going to talk to you and initiate the dialog. I did ctrly+y Bassilus and other enemies for time but that shouldn't matter. What are you waiting for? Defeat him and get your 5000g's. I am not going to tell you what options to pick. There are three variations to the quest and I am not a spoiler... :rolleyes:

HERE

I know now you all have Drizzt Saga

Thanks Hoppy for testing it out also. But anyway, I don't think I installed the Drizzt Saga.

bigmoshiteam2.jpg

#10 Daelric

Daelric
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 08:36 AM

Hello, another 30 mins to the new year for me :D

Anyway I tried to do some testing couple of times on the saved game, and it seemed to be ok. Guess it could just be some memory lapse in the variables.

On the other hand, it seems like Hoppy was right! Your worldmap locations look jumbled up. See the picture below for a comparison. Top is mine & the bottom one from the saved game.

Posted Image

If it looks ok on your installation, then its fine possibly cos of some variable differences b/w the installs. If it doesn't look right on your game as well, then its due to some component differences in your weidu log. I suspect it could be due to the widescreen mod used at the end. The BG2_Tweak differences shouldn't affect the WM i think. (I highlighted the differences in blue, mainly occuring at the end of the log)

See comparison here -> Attached File  daelricWEIDU.htm   239.12K   451 downloads

That's odd about the worldmap labels... thankfully they're all what they're supposed to be on my system though :)

#11 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 11:52 AM

I suspect that your install is fine, Daerlic. It is just the same rule as using old saves for a new installation, things won't look right. But for testing purposes it works.

@BigMoshi> I thought I saw Drizzt Saga from the SMM installation guide, but I was incorrect. You're probably right about the Globals not setting. Plus therre are three paths for the quest, so things can be a little confusing.

Edited by Hoppy, 31 December 2007 - 11:53 AM.

- King Diamond

#12 cmorgan

cmorgan
  • Modder
  • 2301 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 08:24 AM

Sorry, folks - I have been out of contact for two weeks and apparently things got hopping just as I left (go figure).

RE: BG1NPC Dynaheir's Quest, I will triple check the Gnolls too. It looks like the problem is resolved; just a reminder that the newest versions have changed Drizzt's responses so that he will *not* reappear in Red Canyon. He will independently spawn when conditions are right on a number of sothewestern Sword Coast maps, so (as a courtesy to other modders since Drizzt is a very popular dude) not to mess with Drizzt other than to add one simple I_C_T interjection to kick the whole thing off.

#13 bigmoshi

bigmoshi
  • Modder
  • 230 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 09:49 AM

RE: BG1NPC Dynaheir's Quest, I will triple check the Gnolls too. It looks like the problem is resolved; just a reminder that the newest versions have changed Drizzt's responses so that he will *not* reappear in Red Canyon. He will independently spawn when conditions are right on a number of sothewestern Sword Coast maps, so (as a courtesy to other modders since Drizzt is a very popular dude) not to mess with Drizzt other than to add one simple I_C_T interjection to kick the whole thing off.

Helo!

Just checking, when you say newest versions, does it include v14? Cos Drizzit spawned in the Red Canyons for me.

Here's his relevant spawning script in Dynaheir.bcs. AR9600 is Red Canyons in my game.

IF
	!Global("endofbg1","GLOBAL",2)
	Global("X#DynaJournal","GLOBAL",1)
	Global("X#DQDrizztSpawn","GLOBAL",0)
	!Dead("drizzt") // Drizzt
	!AreaCheck("AR3100") // Wilderness Lake
	OR(8)
		AreaCheck("AR9600") // Red Canyons 
		AreaCheck("AR9700") // Badlands
		AreaCheck("ARA100") // Archeological Site
		AreaCheck("AR3200") // Nashkel Pass
		AreaCheck("AR3499") // Ogre's Beach
		AreaCheck("AR3498") // Xvart Village
		AreaCheck("AR4200") // Western Cloudpeaks
		AreaCheck("AR4300") // The CloudPeaks
	InParty(Myself)
	!StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
	InMyArea(Player1)
	!StateCheck(Player1,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
	CombatCounter(0)
	!See([ENEMY])
THEN
	RESPONSE #100
		SetGlobal("X#DQDrizztSpawn","GLOBAL",1)
		SetGlobal("X#DynaJournal","GLOBAL",2)
END

IF
	!Global("endofbg1","GLOBAL",2)
	Global("X#DQDrizztSpawn","GLOBAL",1)
	InParty(Myself)
	!StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
	InMyArea(Player1)
	!StateCheck(Player1,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
	CombatCounter(0)
	!See([ENEMY])
THEN
	RESPONSE #100
		SetGlobal("X#DQDrizztSpawn","GLOBAL",2)
		SetGlobal("X#DQDrizztStart","GLOBAL",1)
		CreateCreatureObjectOffset("X#DRIZZT",Player1,[100.100]) // Drizzt
END

bigmoshiteam2.jpg

#14 cmorgan

cmorgan
  • Modder
  • 2301 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 07:53 AM

Darn it - I am an idiot.

Yes, he will spawn in Red Canyons. It is Wilderness lake (his original area) that was verboten, to avoid having two Drizzts in the same place if some other mod keeps him around for additional use -

I think the original dianosis by Daelric is right. Red Canyons have

For safety's sake, I will probably need to get Red Canyons off the list in v15 and replaced with another more "open" area that is still south west Sword Coast territory. As a secondary approach, I will investigate what might be a better more reliable spaewining behavior to use, because we use Player1 offsets that in a narrow passage might not allow spawning.

#15 bigmoshi

bigmoshi
  • Modder
  • 230 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 07:35 PM

Hey cmorgan!

We didn't have that problem with Drizzt. I think the narrow passages affected the subsequent four gnolls though.

Cheers.

bigmoshiteam2.jpg

#16 cmorgan

cmorgan
  • Modder
  • 2301 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 06:34 AM

Thanks! Yep, the problem isn't with Drizzt spawning, but he sets off the "good gnolls" spawn almost immediately. So the quickest fix is to make sure Drizzt spawns where all the gnolls can - that way we don't have troubles :)

#17 -Impressario-

-Impressario-

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:40 AM

Necropost!
My apologies, but a problem along the same lines discussed here. I have progressed in this quest by the book up until you agree to search for another journal page with Drizzt. He spawned in "South Sword Coast" which I assume is a renamed "Red Canyon" as I don't see the label Red Canyon anywhere else nearby. Anyways, I guess for most people the Good Gnolls encounter occurs almost immediately after Drizzt heads off, or at the least it is encountered while exploring the rest of the area. This did not happen for me, and I have since traveled to other areas on the Drizzt spawn list, with similar results. More than a day past, and I went back to South Sword Coast with no results either. Resting all the while at each step.

Is there a way to spawn the Good Gnolls encounter via the console? Unless I am missing something the orthodox way...

#18 -Impressario-

-Impressario-

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:29 AM

Necropost!
My apologies, but a problem along the same lines discussed here. I have progressed in this quest by the book up until you agree to search for another journal page with Drizzt. He spawned in "South Sword Coast" which I assume is a renamed "Red Canyon" as I don't see the label Red Canyon anywhere else nearby. Anyways, I guess for most people the Good Gnolls encounter occurs almost immediately after Drizzt heads off, or at the least it is encountered while exploring the rest of the area. This did not happen for me, and I have since traveled to other areas on the Drizzt spawn list, with similar results. More than a day past, and I went back to South Sword Coast with no results either. Resting all the while at each step.

Is there a way to spawn the Good Gnolls encounter via the console? Unless I am missing something the orthodox way...

http://imgur.com/y1FLb.jpg
I stumbled upon event flags in shadowkeeper. Gonna try messing around with em. I guess changing good gnoll spawn to 1 is a start, since I take it 2 means they already did spawn (never encountered them in the quest zone or any other zone though). Any guidance would be appreciated.

#19 -Impressario-

-Impressario-

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:42 AM

Well that worked. The gnolls spawned immediately after loading my save, chatted, and then drizzt came right after and did his thing. Nice.

#20 -Jesse Heinig-

-Jesse Heinig-

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:19 AM

I ran into the same problem as the original poster -- when I went to the zone north of the gnoll stronghold, Drizzt spawned and sent me off to collect the journal pages, but the gnolls that spawned shortly thereafter were non-hostile and their spokesgnoll never spawned. Is there a ref # that I can use to force spawn the spokesgnoll with the console so that I can advance the quest?