Of attitudes and credits

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 jcompton

jcompton
  • Modder
  • 492 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 12:06 PM

Any particular reason the writers and performers aren't individually credited?

I ask both because it's a little weird, and because I don't know who needs to be told that "maged" might have benefited from an extra de-ESL pass. "Any slower", not "anything slower."

Edited by Ilmatar, 09 January 2008 - 02:57 AM.

#2 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:22 AM

Everyone who has taken part in the mod has been credited for their respective work, and we saw no use in crediting them individually. It does not really make a difference in the end, does it? But that does not mean that you could not give feedback - comments and suggestions are naturally most welcome!

Ilmatar's portraits for the Baldur's Gate series ¤ | ¤ | ¤ Ahem. Ilmatar =/= Ilmater. ¤ | ¤ | ¤ deviantART gallery
Grunting is a perfectly acceptable reaction to being struck with a blunt instrument. -berelinde
And, just out of curiosity, my dear, what *are* you wearing? :D - Tempest to me.

#3 jcompton

jcompton
  • Modder
  • 492 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:37 AM

Let me get this straight.

You all worked very hard to put together this showcase of voice and soundset-writing talent, but rather than point out who did what so that others can come along and say, "Boy, I'd like for him/her to write/voice a character or two for me!" and contact that person, one instead has to guess. Or, I suppose, post blindly here and hope the right person comes along and deigns to unmask themselves?

Perhaps next time I'm looking to match an actor with a voice, I will simply turn to Craigslist Missed Connections.

"heard u in my game. u did super good job as thief girl!!! look for me next sunday at the racetrack. i will be wearing cat in the hat hat and suspenders. bring sunblock."

#4 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:22 PM

Ilmater - feel free to delete this post if you wish to.

JCompton: A great deal less sarcasm would get you far better liked. As it is, your posts are mostly unpleasant, self-serving and designed entirely to get up the recipient's nose. Grow up; having produced a decent mod does not give you the right to look down and denigrate other people. If you consider the way these soundsets were released to be a mistake, be more polite in laying out your arguments. Working on a commercial game gives you even less room to be obnoxious to people if you want it to sell.

How would I know? A very large part of my income for the last nine years has derived from creating addons for Microsoft's Flight Simulator and from developing a new, boxed game from scratch, all of which have made me a great deal of money and all of which I think give me rather a lot of room in telling you where to get right off in thinking that you are somehow 'better' than the rest of us because you happen to be the 'producer' of TBH. Only four years ago it wasn't possible to walk into any games shop that sold Flight Simulator and not be faced with a shelf full of addons, most of which I'd had a hand in. I doubt that you will ever have that pleasure. *I* do *not* consider myself any better than anyone else here because of it; there are people here that know far more about the Infinity Engine (and Flight Simulator) than I do and despite that greater knowledge, are certainly far more polite than you are. You're just lost at least one customer who was (past tense) eagerly awaiting the release of TBH. Given your current attitude, I suspect that any so-called 'support' for TBH is going to be very much along the same lines as eBay's much-vaunted customer support. Look up the tale of Papa Tango on the web if you want to see what happens to obnoxious games developers who somehow think they are better than the rest of us simply because they are games developers.

Now, if this post does not get deleted before you see it, please, go ahead and have the last word. I really don't want it.

-Dai Griffiths, Dragonflight Design (aka Yovaneth)

Edited by Yovaneth, 08 January 2008 - 06:23 PM.

#5 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:46 PM

Don't know if my opinion matters or not, but I am hoping that the administration does *not* decide to delete any threads or posts, regardless of what they may or may not say.
DO ~SetGlobal("omgBbqRomanceActive","GLOBAL", 2)~

Gibberlings Three - IE Modding Community

#6 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:56 PM

Don't know if my opinion matters or not, but I am hoping that the administration does *not* decide to delete any threads or posts, regardless of what they may or may not say.

Well, they don't have to delete it, as it would be rude, they(the administrators) can always hide things that might not be appreciated by their public. :devil:

And I think that Jcompton's nose got the hey straw, not because he wanted to criticize a person, but because he was the first one to be as curious as I might be, and he had the courage to put his nose on the line, knowing it might hurt.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#7 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 12:28 AM

And I think that Jcompton's nose got the hey straw, not because he wanted to criticize a person, but because he was the first one to be as curious as I might be, and he had the courage to put his nose on the line, knowing it might hurt.

Hey, I'm curious, too! I fully admit it's idle curiosity, since IWD NPC is far from completion, but that makes three of us, anyway.

#8 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:59 AM

I split this from the FAQ topic to keep things neat there, but I did not want to delete anything.

First of all, curious and hurtful are two very different things. Second, hats off for Yovaneth. Third, if you insist on continuing on this matter, do it in PM. Thank you.

Ilmatar's portraits for the Baldur's Gate series ¤ | ¤ | ¤ Ahem. Ilmatar =/= Ilmater. ¤ | ¤ | ¤ deviantART gallery
Grunting is a perfectly acceptable reaction to being struck with a blunt instrument. -berelinde
And, just out of curiosity, my dear, what *are* you wearing? :D - Tempest to me.

#9 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 03:41 AM

I won't be asking you to voice anything IWD NPC, then. :)

#10 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 12:43 PM

I split this from the FAQ topic to keep things neat there, but I did not want to delete anything.

First of all, curious and hurtful are two very different things. Second, hats off for Yovaneth. Third, if you insist on continuing on this matter, do it in PM. Thank you.

I really don't think we should be praising anyone for essentially fueling a fire and starting a fight that doesn't need to be started.

The fact of the matter is that to some would be players, it does make a difference to them in the end regarding who was the talent behind this mod, and perhaps having a complete list of credits available for either the public to view (if the voicers are okay with that) or at least having one available for PMing to curious people wouldn't be so terrible.

Now, if the voicers are declined to state their identities, that's fine, but that's a totally different story.

#11 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:49 PM

Hi theacefes

The fact of the matter is that to some would be players, it does make a difference to them in the end regarding who was the talent behind this mod, and perhaps having a complete list of credits available for either the public to view (if the voicers are okay with that) or at least having one available for PMing to curious people wouldn't be so terrible.

Now, if the voicers are declined to state their identities, that's fine, but that's a totally different story.

I happen to agree with these sentiments entirely and without reservation.

I did actually think quite hard before posting; it was not what was being said but the way it was said. Sarcasm is an easy way to score cheap points and most of us have used it at one time or another for just that purpose. The continuous use of sarcasm in post after post after post by JCompton on this and other forums, when a little thought on his part in every case could have produced a posting that would have shown him in a far nicer light, is what finally made me L.A.F. (Load. Aim. Fire). I truly believe that the tone of his second response to Ilmater was completely unjustified. I'm sure he can do better if he wants to; perhaps he doesn't want to. I'm not JCompton, so I don't know and I don't presume to know what he will or won't do. IMHO if he made the decision to stop this continuous use of pointed sarcasm then the perception of JCompton as a person would certainly improve over time.

It still won't induce me to buy TBH though; that opportunity to make a sale on his part has gone very cold.

-Y-

#12 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:47 PM

And you may be correct about your perceptions and the fact that maybe the sarcasm was uncalled for, etc, however, sarcasm aside, I still think that fighting fire with fire is never the answer. Best thing to do is leave it to the coordinators and admin to take care of it.

#13 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:49 PM

You do notice you're going around in circles? What's been said has been said, no point in repeating or stressing. Thank you for the discussion, however, but let's try and move on. :)

#14 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 04:10 PM

You'll be happy to hear that we have discussed the credits and decided to reconsider. I have updated the the Soundset Index with the detailed credits, and the readme will be updated shortly as well.

Edited by Ilmatar, 09 January 2008 - 04:17 PM.

#15 jcompton

jcompton
  • Modder
  • 492 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 07:13 PM

To the credits: That's wonderful news. I think that will likely do a lot of modders, writers, and actors a world of good. (not to mention players who were getting sick of hearing the same three voices over and over.)

To everything else: So many images, my mind is positively awash. I believe I can best sum up my feelings by invoking the spirit of that immortal thespian Bert Convy, who so memorably sang as he leaped from an airplane on the back of a motorcycle:

I've got to be free
I've got to be me

#16 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 09:49 PM

You do notice you're going around in circles? What's been said has been said, no point in repeating or stressing. Thank you for the discussion, however, but let's try and move on. :)

Apologies. I will keep my opinions to myself from now on (though as I had said, I wasn't even sure they had mattered or not, and now I know what to do in the future when posting on this site). Sorry to have disturbed this forum in my lame (and peaceful) but apparently unneeded attempt to prevent a pointless fight.

Edited by theacefes, 09 January 2008 - 09:52 PM.

#17 Caelellowynn

Caelellowynn
  • 101 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 10:13 AM

Well don't do that. I for one would like your opinion to stay around.

Anybody up for an icecream?
Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself- Mark Twain

If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do all the rest have to drown too?- Steven Wright

Have you ever noticed.... Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? - George Carlin

#18 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 11:00 AM

Anybody up for an icecream?

Hey, I was eating one just this instance! How do you knew? (It's 8 pm here..)

Thank you for crediting the voice actors explicitely, I, too, was very curious.

theacefes, I thought your remarks very well phrased and I hope you won't stop trying to prevent pointless fights.

#19 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 10 January 2008 - 12:22 PM

Only a guess, but maybe because there are only two minutes between your post, Ace, and that of Ilmatar's, perhaps she didn't see your post (cuz she was busy posting herself)? I don't want to speak for Ilmatar, but it is a great possibility that her words meant no reflection on your post because she hadn't even read it. (Just a thought. :) )

#20 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 12:41 PM

Look, I'm not trying to stir things up.

But for Guest's sake, I will clarify. Between quoting my own post and a conversation in private, I believe that as a Coordinator, Illmatar knows exactly what she is doing. :) I received no PMs or other forms of communication to say otherwise.