SMM:An odd slowdown

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 12 January 2008 - 02:15 PM

I am using an standard SMM install, nothing ontop, and i have had a quite noticeable slowdown since digging up Reynard's grave in the SoBH portion. I suspect it is because i talked to the guard/Ravella/Dug up the grave after already having entered, cleared the lighthouse and dropped off the quest item i got there due to the door to the lighthouse already being open, but i don't know how to fix it, if it can be fixed and the game made a autosave as i was leaving BH, so i don't have any recent saves i can rollback to.

Well, that's the situation. Anyone here who can help me out/any information i should provide?

#2 bigmoshi

bigmoshi
  • Modder
  • 230 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 04:31 PM

I am using an standard SMM install, nothing ontop, and i have had a quite noticeable slowdown since digging up Reynard's grave in the SoBH portion. I suspect it is because i talked to the guard/Ravella/Dug up the grave after already having entered, cleared the lighthouse and dropped off the quest item i got there due to the door to the lighthouse already being open, but i don't know how to fix it, if it can be fixed and the game made a autosave as i was leaving BH, so i don't have any recent saves i can rollback to.

Well, that's the situation. Anyone here who can help me out/any information i should provide?

Hi! I didn't manage to document slowdowns in sobh. I documented some slowdowns occuring in some areas, but it cleared up after that. Could you send me your game, I'll take a look on that. Thanks!

PS: Just zip up and upload your saved game here. :)

Edited by bigmoshi, 12 January 2008 - 04:32 PM.

"[You are] the foe of my foe, friend of my friend, by the first sapling that rose where Shilmista now stands, and by the shadow it will cast before all things will end, I swear to give my blood for you." - Kivan when we meet Imanel Silversword.

bigmoshiteam2.jpg

@ SMM Auto DL / Auto-Installer / Manual Install / Walkthru - based on Erebusant's installation @
@ Infinity Explorer v0.85 (Some fixes for v0.75/v0.80) @
@ Future of MegaMods? - Working with Mega-Modification Installations - by Ascension64 @

#3 TKATK

TKATK
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 06:57 PM

I'm the Guest, and here's a savegame.

Edit:And the slowdown isn't exactly like in some of the areas, it doesn't ever end and is more like a 0.2 second freeze every half a second.

Attached Files

Edited by TKATK, 13 January 2008 - 01:25 AM.

#4 bigmoshi

bigmoshi
  • Modder
  • 230 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 03:50 AM

Hi TKATK!

I managed to load up your game, but didn't get the lag you described in the temple of lathander. I tried moving around to the Shipwreck Coast & The CloudPeaks, and got your very bad lag, which also happened in my game. But it was a map thing, and so far I got it only in four maps, documented in my bug list.

Just to check, does your lag clear when you enter houses/other maps?

Also, attached is the save once Pelltar teleports me to the Temple of Lathander. Hopefully, it overrides the thing that was causing your lag. Let me know how it works out. Thanks!

Attached File  000000092_Cleared.zip   473.75K   288 downloads

"[You are] the foe of my foe, friend of my friend, by the first sapling that rose where Shilmista now stands, and by the shadow it will cast before all things will end, I swear to give my blood for you." - Kivan when we meet Imanel Silversword.

bigmoshiteam2.jpg

@ SMM Auto DL / Auto-Installer / Manual Install / Walkthru - based on Erebusant's installation @
@ Future of MegaMods? - Working with Mega-Modification Installations - by Ascension64 @

#5 TKATK

TKATK
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 05:11 AM

The slowdown doesn't dissapear on area changes, so it isn't tied to the area and dissapears when i load on older save or create a new game.
The savegame you attached doesn't change anything, guessing it's because i triggered the slowdown a minute or so of gametime before the autosave.

#6 bigmoshi

bigmoshi
  • Modder
  • 230 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 09:13 AM

The slowdown doesn't dissapear on area changes, so it isn't tied to the area and dissapears when i load on older save or create a new game.
The savegame you attached doesn't change anything, guessing it's because i triggered the slowdown a minute or so of gametime before the autosave.

Hi TKATK!

It is possible that some event was triggered and it is doing a recursive check until it finally meets a condition later. For one thing, your installation fits my installation perfectly cos the world map shows the correct area names, so thats one issue resolved. Couple of things need checking, as I don't seem to be able to get your lag yet.

First, I'm hoping its not a stutter bug. Stutter = character stops walking to a destination point, won't cast spells, twitches when standing. Usually caused by a bounce between their scripts, ie one character's script has: if variable A = B then set it to C and the second will have: if A = C then set it to B, so an endless loop occurs between them
Someone tried to define it here http://www.baldurdas...sandcheats.html

Secondly, could you try, if you haven't, to disable some programs running in the background. I've experienced incremental slowdowns as more variables are collected in your game the more you play.

Thirdly, I have read before somewhere in this forum that keeping too many arrows/potions in your inventory can slow you down somewhat. Try to remove your inventory load of ammunition on some map, then go to another map and see if the lag still continues. Best if you could save. Quit BG and load up to test again.

Fourthly, can you try entering a house map and see if you still get that lag, or it improves considerably? Trying to figure whether its a background script or something else.

One more thing, whats your computer specs?

Meanwhile, I'll try to load your game up again and see if I can find anything useful.

Thanks!

bigmoshiteam2.jpg

#7 TKATK

TKATK
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:59 AM

Right, answering your questions.
It isn't the stutter bug, my characters don't forget their orders
Secondly, i usually play with all my background applications disabled and it would be odd that background applications would cause just the saves made after a specific point to slow down, not affecting older ones.
Third, Well, i do keep some 20k of arrows on my characters, but it is odd that saves with equal amounts of arrows in the character backpacks wouldn't both lag. Still, going to try and get rid of all my arrows to check a bit later and if something changes, will edit it in.
Fourth, tried entering a nearby cave, the one that had the vampiric blade ghost, still the slowdown. I have also entered a few houses since the slowdown and it wasn't any different inside the house areas.
And my computer is 2.4Ghz/768RAM/Radeon9600/WinXP.

Edit:Dropped all stackable items/containers, left the area, rested, saved, quit, restarted, reloaded and no difference at all.

Edited by TKATK, 14 January 2008 - 08:33 AM.

#8 bigmoshi

bigmoshi
  • Modder
  • 230 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 06:26 PM

Hey TKATK! Any luck with this? Else i'll try it tonight again. Thanks

Sorry have been working on some stuff past week.

bigmoshiteam2.jpg

#9 TKATK

TKATK
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 07:27 AM

Thought you had forgot about this particular issue so i didn't check the thread for awhile. Anyway, still got the issue, though i guess i should just man up and replay the six hours or whatever of game when i regain interest, though if you have any ideas what might be the cause/something to try that might fix it, i would appreciate it.

#10 bigmoshi

bigmoshi
  • Modder
  • 230 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 09:12 AM

Hi TKATK!

I'll try to recreate the lag you are facing. Meanwhile try one thing - delete the BG2\cache files just in case the cache is corrupted. Thanks

bigmoshiteam2.jpg

#11 TKATK

TKATK
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 02:23 PM

The first thing i did when i got the bug. Didn't change anything, still just the savegames after SoBH running terribly.

Edited by TKATK, 25 January 2008 - 04:00 PM.

#12 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 03:43 PM

Are you running 3D acceleration when you configured your game to play?
Also the 1000,s of ammunitions, scrolls etc. do contribute to a slowdown. I use Mix Mod which keeps stacks a bit more toned down. (for the setting that I installed).

Since sometimes with equal mods installed, slowdowns or lags could also be caused by items in inventory/equipped/backpack/or even a bag of holding. Try and go through a bag of holding and see if you have a wardstone or key or quest item that you don't need anymore and put it/them in your backpack. Save game, then delete item/items from your saved game using ShadowKeeper save editor. I recently had a slowdown in BG2 because I had the Djinni statue from Irenicus' Dungeon in a bag of holding. Usually it deletes itself but in the bag of holding, it stayed. After I got rid of the statue permanently, I had a much smoother game.

Also weapons, armor and etc. that one may use in their game, may not be used by every player with the same mods which makes it hard to pinpoint if an item is contributing.

You can also try adjusting framerate options in the configuration. Hope some of this may help you guys and others without having to disable all the sounds or animations or things of that nature.

Good Luck!!

UPDATE:TKATK, I just tried your save (first one) on my game and no slowdown went outside the temple and fought a big battle with no slowdown. Not sure but I do have different Weidu log for mods.

Edited by Hoppy, 25 January 2008 - 03:57 PM.

?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

Posted Image The Definitive Guide to Trolls

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#13 TKATK

TKATK
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 03:28 AM

Ah, enough of this for me. I'll just SK in all the loot/XP/stats i've gained into an older savegame and blaze through the bone hill again. Will possibly ressurect this thread in a few weeks or so if the bug repeats